Killing Frost (Rune Sword):
Stories abound about this weapon. One is about a Duke about four hundred years previously. He had antagonized the wrong person and that person had hired one of the most dangerous assassins or the time. The assassin was a women that when by the name "Lady Ice" who was extremely beautiful, dressed all in white, and was known to be completely cold yet with a sense of honor in her killing. She carried the weapon "Killing Frost" and was reputed to have never not gotten her mark. After the Duke found out who was being sent after him, he hired four extremely skilled mercenaries to act as his body guards. No one knows how but suddenly the main door to his audience chamber opened and there she was. The four mercenaries quickly surrounded her. The first fighter, bolder than the rest, drew a large sword and swung at the female assassin. She parried the weapon with Killing Frost and a layer of ice formed on the mercenary's blade. When he swung the sword again, this time to parry, the sword slipped from his hand. She struck leaving a deep line in his chest. The cold of the blade invaded his body and left him almost unable to fight. Two more blows are he would never fight again. She turned to her next opponent. The other three mercenaries charged he togther. She parried each of the attackers blades and left their weapons frozen as well. She then went on the offensive. Where she hit their metal armor, their skin was frozen. It was a losing fight for the mercenaries but still their fought on. The fight took several minutes but by the time the fight was done, all of the mercenaries were on the ground. She walked to the Duke with the sword still bared.
While there are many stories about Killing Frost that are similar to the previous one, the actual origin of the weapon is unknown. The weapon has never told anyone about its history and trying to do psychic reading creates so many conflicting images that it is impossible to get the history that way. The personality of the sword is that of an extremely disciplined assassin. The weapon is evil but has a sense of honor at odds with that of many other evils weapons. The weapon is very choosy about who it allows to wield it. Only those of aberrant alignment can use the weapon.
The weapon is a very attractive slim short sword. The weapon is a very light blue grey and like all rune swords is covered from tip to handle with runes. While the weapon does not have any gems, the weapon is beautifully engraved. The scabbard of the weapon is of some type of white fur and is reinforced by the same very light blue grey material as the sword. The metal is highly engraved like the sword itself. Like the sword, the scabbard seems to be indestructible and the fur always stays white.
The sword radiates cold constantly although the cold from weapon does not effect the wielder. While a few scholars consider the weapon to be a lesser rune weapon due to it not having any spells or psionic abilities, most scholars consider the sword to be a greater rune weapon due to the abilities it does possess. The weapons cold effects can be extremely dangerous to opponents. These include the fact that the weapon will freeze any weapon it comes in contact with, wounds inflicted by the weapon inflict frost bite and numb the person, and the fact that the cold will penetrate metal armor even if the weapon does not.
- Like all Rune Sword it is completely indestructible
- Links to wielder within 6 months of constant contact. Can sense each other presences within 4 miles.
- Gives wielder +1 on all saving throws.
- Can be used to parry energy blasts at -6
- Can only be used by individuals of Aberrant Alignment, anybody not of that alignment takes 2D4 points of damage each time they touch the weapon or 3D6 damage if creatures of magic.
- Freeze Water: If the weapon is placed inside or next to water, water will freeze at the rate of one gallon (3.8 liters) per minute per minute.
- Frost Bite: Weapon Strikes will cause frostbite if they hit the flesh of a target. The target must make a saving throw against magic of take an additional 3D6 damage direct to hit points (No strength bonus). If target fails their saving throw, they will also feel extremely cold and be debilitated. They will be at -4 to strike, parry, and dodge. They will also be at -6 to initiative and have half normal attacks.
- Coat with Ice: If the weapon strikes a metal object such as a sword, the object will become coated in ice. The object will become extremely uncomfortable to hold and there is a 50% chance that the wielder loses their grip on the object due to the extreme cold and slipperiness. This also happens with metal armor. If weapons hits metal armor, target will take 1D6 points of damage if the metal touches direct flesh and the armor will become coated in ice.
- IQ: 12 Communicates with wielder through limited telepathy
- Due to superior craftsmanship, equal to dwarven quality, has +2 to
Strike, +3 to Parry, and +2 on Initiative
- 6D6 per strike, does S.D.C in S.D.C. Worlds and does M.D.C. in M.D.C.
Worlds (Plus strength bonus if applicable). The blade of the weapon inflicts
4D6 of the damage and the cold inflicts 2D6 of the damage (Targets that
are impervious to cold will only receive 4D6 damage)
Weapon's Special Abilities:
- Protection Against Cold: The wielder of the sword is immune
to cold up to 10 degrees below zero (-26 degrees Celsius). Magical cold
only inflicts half damage
Cold Aura: The blade of the weapon is extremely cold and effects and target hit by the weapon. The weapon has a variety of different effects. Targets that are immune to cold are not effected.
[ Baalgor Wastelands TM, Barraduk TM, Caer Kurgas TM, Caer Itom TM, Church of Light and Dark TM, Dragonwright TM, Eastern Territories TM, Great Northern Wilderness TM, Heim TM, Hoknar TM, House Elial TM, House Kaze TM, Kisenite TM, Kym-nark-mar TM, Land of the South Winds TM, Lemaria TM, Llorn TM, Lopan TM, Lopnel TM, Mega-Damage TM, Odguard TM, Old Kingdom TM, Panath TM, Phi TM, Rifter TM, Rurga TM, S.D.C. TM, Styphon TM, Tark TM, Timiro Kingdom TM, Utu TM, Vald-Tegor TM, Vequerrel Woodlands TM, Western Empire TM, Wolfen TM, Yin-Sloth Jungles TM, and Zandragal TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2001, Kitsune. All rights reserved.