Alamo Armory T-113-TDV Tactical Defense Vehicle:
"This is the Tactical Defense Vehicle, the newest of our fine products and should be available within six months. Note the similarity to our Infantry Fighting Vehicle. Like all of our designs, this one is based on the well proven M-113 frame. Compared to our air defense vehicle, it is designed around the ability to fight both other armored vehicles and against aircraft, making it a perfect compliment to the Infantry Fighting Vehicle. I guarantee that you will not be disappointed."
"Like all of our products, the Tactical Defense Vehicle will cost a fraction of the cost of competing designs. The current price planned is under seven hundred and fifty thousand credits. Compare that to the Mountain Lion which is configured for air defense with a cost of almost one and a half million for a basic model and going up to nine and a half million. Northern Gun vehicles run even more. So you tell me, if you want an affordable multi-role Tactical Defense Vehicle, what is your only option."
- Introduction of the T-113-TDV by Lausanne Rose - Company Executive
One of the fairly small manufacturers of combat vehicles on Rifts Earth, Alamo Armory produces a relatively high quality design simple in its overall features. While some competitors have tried to compare the Alamo designs with Chipwell Manufacturing, this is mostly a smear campaign. Most of these companies have a hard time competing with Alamo Armory's prices. Because of demand for their combat designs, Alamo Armory is unable to actually keep up with demand for their products.
The facility which Alamo Armory converted for the production of their combat designs is in what was once the Old American Empire state of Texas. The founders of the company came from a variety of different places with the two main places being Golden Age Weaponsmiths and Iron Heart Armament. The reasoning behind the Golden Age Weaponsmith employees leaving the company are unclear although there is the suggestion that Alamo Armory is actually tied to Golden Age. The Iron Heart Armament personnel are generally people who managed to escape when the Coalition took over.
All Iron Armory designs are based of the Pre-Rifts M-113 Armored Personnel Carrier, a vehicle which was operated from the Nineteen-Fifties into late in the Twenty-First Century. Unlike the products produced by Golden Age, these vehicles are not refitted designs which predate the coming of the Rifts but new construction combat designs using modern high strength composites and alloys. Even though a quite old design, the M-113 was quite simple and quite adaptable to different roles.
Alamo Armor has developed a number of prototype designs in addition to the standard models which they sell. One of these is the Tactical Defense Vehicle. The design is designed to give combat units have support against missiles and aircraft using a gun mount instead of just missiles like most Alamo Armory designs. It is likely to be the next model put into full production if the company is able to expand production. So far, four prototypes have been developed with testing showing the vehicle to have excellent combat capabilities. Of course the vehicle has not been tested in true combat conditions as of yet. This has not stopped several mercenary companies expressing an interest in purchases of this vehicle.
This vehicle is based almost directly on the Infantry Fighting Vehicle produced by Alamo Armory. This eases production greatly and is one reason why it is the most likely to be produced next. The only real problem is that the Infantry Fighting Vehicle design is already only being produced in fairly limited numbers. In addition to interest in purchasing the Tactical Defense Vehicle, there has been interest in conversion kits to convert the Infantry Fighting Vehicle into basically the same vehicle as the prototype. As of yet, there is no conversion kit available.
The Tactical Defense Vehicle is a standard Alamo Armory design and shares a common hull, power plant, and drive systems. The drive system allows for a top speed of around forty-five miles per hour with a range of six hundred miles. The design is also amphibious with a top speed on the water of around four miles per hour. It is really not designed for long range ocean operations but it is extremely useful for fording bodies of water.
The engine is an diesel / electric hybrid and is designed to be able to run of various different fuel types and qualities. Among the most common after the coming of the Rifts are Bio-Diesel types. Many competing designs use a fusion reactor although this is not an option with Alamo Armory designs. It is highly likely than some purchasers in the future will upgrade to fusion reactors.
The vehicle is designed to be operated by a crew of three. This includes a driver and a crew of two controlling the weapon and sensor systems. To support additional equipment and weaponry, the Tactical Defense Vehicle removes all troop carrying capability. The crew does not have full life support but does have NBC protection. Most crews wear fully environmental body armor which means they do not really even need it but it does give an additional layer of protection.
The standard Infantry Fighting Vehicle is only outfitted with fairly close range optical systems. Because targeting aircraft and missiles are two of this designs primary purposes, the prototype is fitted with a short range tracking and targeting radar. Like the electronic systems in other versions, the systems come from a variety of sources including some of the very same companies which are most vocal against Alamo Armory. The radar system is mounted above the turret and is not retractable into the hull although it does fold down into a stowed position. It controls both the missile weaponry and the main gun for targeting against airborne targets. It also has as limited capability for tracking ground targets.
The vehicle carries the same basic thirty-millimeter cannon as is carried on the Infantry Fighting Vehicle although the rate of skew is increased slightly and can angle up to sixty-five degrees. The weapon is not manufactured by Alamo Armory but is manufactured by Wellington Industries and is based of a Pre-Rifts Bushmaster design. Payload for the weapon is increased to 1600 rounds. There is a coaxial mount and the vehicle usually carries either a pulse laser or a plasma weapon. The vehicle has a special storage battery to power the weapon system. The vehicle also mounts a pair of short range missile box launchers. Each one can carry four short range missiles for eight total. Most common missiles are high speed "SAM" type missiles. Unlike the Air Defense Vehicle, the vehicle does not have an automatic reloading system. It does have the ability to carry manual reloads with a total of twenty-four missiles.
For defensive measures, the Tactical Defense Vehicle mounts a pair of smoke grenade launchers. As well smoke grenades, tear gas, prismatic aerosol, and other grenades can be fired from the launcher. As an option, the vehicle is able to mount special Claymore mines with two on each side and two on the front. These are extremely useful against attacking troops. These mines are manufactured by Wellington Industries and are far more powerful than the Pre-Rifts Claymore mine.
Model Type: Alamo Armory T-113-TDV
Vehicle Type: Tactical Defense Vehicle
Crew: Three (Driver, 2 Gunner / Missile Operators)
M. D. C. by Location:
| Tractor Treads (2):||50 each|
| Short Range Radar Array:||60|
|Wellington Bushmaster II 30 mm Chain Gun (Turret):||50|
| Coaxial L-20 Pulse Laser (Turret):||25|
| Coaxial NG-E12 Heavy Plasma Ejector - Optional (Turret):||30|
|WI WI-54S Short Range Missile Box Launchers (2):||40 each|
|WI-CL3 "Super Claymore" Mine - Optional (6, sides and front):||20 each|
| Smoke / Gas Dispensers (2):||20 each|
| Headlights (2):||10 each|
|Reinforced Crew Compartment:||80|
|Reinforced Rear Bay:||80|
| Main Body:||280|
 Depleting the M.D.C. of a tread will immobilize the platform until it is replaced. Replacing a tread will take 1D6x10 minutes by a trained crew (2 replacements are carried on board) or three times as long by the inexperienced. Changing the tread is only advisable when the vehicle is not under attack.
 Missiles mount targeting systems but system can no longer track and target multiple incoming missiles simultaneously.
 These are small and difficult targets to strike, requiring the attacker to make a "called shot," but even then the attacker is -4 to strike.
 If all the M.D.C. of the main body is depleted, the vehicle is completely shut down and is unsalvageable.
Ground: Maximum speed on land is 45 mph (72.4 kph.) The vehicle is designed to traverse virtually all terrain and can climb at up to a 60% grade although at a much slower speed (About 10% of maximum road speed). It can also climb barriers and ford trenches. The vehicle can also handle side slopes of up to 40%.
Water Capabilities: The T-113-TDV Tactical Defense Vehicle is designed to be amphibious and can cross small bodies of water. It is not designed for deep water use. The T-113-TDV can travel in this manner at 4.0 mph (6.4 kph/3.5 knots).
Maximum Range: 620 miles (997.8 km)
Height: 6.57 feet (2.005 meters) to hull top and 9.55 feet (2.911 meters) to top radar array
Width: 8.81 feet (2.866 meters)
Length: 17.21 feet (5.248 meters)
Weight: 26014.5 pounds (11,800 kg) empty, 31,085.2 pounds (14,100 kg) combat loaded, and 32,628.4 pounds (14,800 kg) maximum load.
Power Source: Conventional, Diesel / Electric Hybrid developing 300 hp
Cargo Capacity: Without missiles and ammunition, can carry up to 2.0 tons (1.81 metric tons)
Black Market Cost: 720,000 Credits for standard model (When it enters service.) Replacing L-20 with NG-E12 Heavy Plasma Ejector costs 60,000 credits. Super Claymore Mines cost 30,000 Credits (for six.)
- Wellington Bushmaster II 30 mm Ramjet Chain Gun (Turret): Modified version of the pre-Rifts weapon. Mounted in the turret and controlled by the gunner, it has the ability to rotate 360 degrees and can aim upwards up to 65 degrees. It can engage low / medium flying aircraft and creatures. The 30 mm cannon fires heavy ramjet rounds with armor piercing warheads which inflict as much damage as most heavy rail guns. The ramjet rounds inflict great damage and can quicky punch through the front armor of a tank or the main armor of a giant robot.
- Coaxial Weapon Mount: The vehicle comes standard with the L-20 laser rifle mounted beside the 30 mm chain gun. Instead, a Northern Gun NG-E12 Heavy Plasma Ejector can be mounted. Both feed from a high capacity battery to greatly increase payload but payload is still limited compared to many other designs. E-Clips can be plugged in instead of power pack when the main battery is depleted. Generally used for targets not considered worth the use of the main gun such as troops and missiles.
- L-20 Pulse Laser Mount: A modified version of the pulse laser rifle carried by many adventurers and mercenaries. It can fire single blasts or three blast bursts for greater damage.
- NG-E12 Heavy Plasma Ejector (Optional): More powerful than the L-20 Pulse Laser but consumes more power and a heavier weapon. It also has slightly greater range than the pulse laser. It cannot fire bursts.
- WI-54S Short Range Missile Box Launchers: Mounted on either side of the vehicle's turret are short range missile box launchers. They rotate with the turret and have an 85 degree arc of fire (greater than the 30 mm cannon) Unlike the weapon systems of the Air Defense Vehicle, these do not have an automatic reloading system and cannot retract. The system is designed to be able to target multiple incoming missiles simultaneously.
- Six (6) WI-CL3 "Super Claymore" Mine (Optional): Two are positioned on either side with two in front. None are in the rear of the vehicle. Mounted on armored plates which prevent the mines from doing damage to the vehicle itself. Derived from the pre-Rifts claymore mine, this weapon is extremely effective. It is slightly larger than the original Claymore mine and has 1000 super dense alloy spheres instead of steel balls and is backed by two pounds (0.9 kg) of powerful advanced explosive instead of the original C4 plastic explosive. The "Super Claymore" operates in a similar fashion to the original mine and creates a fan of projectiles for a 328 foot (100 meter) cone with a 60 degree arc of danger. Generally the Super Claymore is activated by the crew when it looks like the vehicle will be overrun.
- Smoke Dispenser (2): Mounted on either side of the tank and launches smoke grenades. While other types of grenades can be used, they have been rarely carried. Recently, there has been consideration for the use of prismatic aerosol and decoy grenades to help protect the vehicle against lasers and other weaponry.
Maximum Effective Range: 6,000 feet (1,830 meters).
Mega Damage: 2D6x10 for a burst of 20 rounds, 3D6 for each round.
Rate of Fire: Equal to the gunner's hand to hand attacks; each burst counts as one melee action.
Payload: 1,600 round drum magazine (80 bursts.)
Maximum Effective Range: 1,600 feet (610 meters)
Mega Damage: 2D6 for Single Shot and 6D6 for 3 simultaneous blasts.
Rate of Fire: Equal to the gunner's hand to hand attacks; Single shot or three round burst.
Payload: 175 blasts from the main battery (58 three blast bursts). Can plug in E-Clips for addition blasts (40 shots short E-Clip, 50 Shots each long E-Clip)
Maximum Effective Range: 2000 feet (610 meters)
Mega Damage: 1D6x10 per plasma blast
Rate of Fire: Equal to the gunner's hand to hand attacks.
Payload: 42 blasts from the main battery. Can plug in E-Clips for addition blasts (6 shots short E-Clip, 12 Shots each long E-Clip)
Note: SAM style missiles are missiles that sacrifice payload for higher speeds, see Chris Curtis' modified missile table for specifics.
Maximum Effective Range: Varies by short range missile type (Use revised bomb and missile tables for details - SAM style missiles normally.)
Mega-Damage: Varies by short range missile type (Use revised bomb and missile tables for details - SAM style missiles normally.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), or eight (8) missiles simultaneously (both launchers fire as one.) Launchers retract and are ready to fire for next melee attack.
Payload: Four (4) short range missiles each launcher for eight (8) total. The vehicle carries twenty-four (24) missiles as reloads for missile launcher. Launchers must be reloaded manually.
Maximum Effective Range: 820 feet (250 meters)
Mega Damage: Front 60-degree horizontal Cone of Mine: 2D6x10 MD for a 164 foot (50 meter) range, 1D4x10 MD for a 328 foot (100 meter) range, and 2D6 MD for a 820 foot (250 meter) range. Sides of Mine: 4D6 MD for a 66 foot (20 meter) range and 2D6 MD for a 328 foot (100 meter) range.
Rate of Fire: Each mine single use only.
Payload: Six Mines.
Effect: Creates a cloud of smoke 40 ft (12 m) in diameter. Other special effects per grenade type
Rate of Fire: Two per melee
Range: 1,200 feet (365 m)
Payload: Carries 12 smoke grenades per launcher.
- NBC Protection: While not full life support, the Armored vehicle is equipped with protection for the crew from most gas, radiation, and biological attacks.
- Nightvision Optics: Range: 2,000 ft (609 meters). Uses light amplification to make a picture. Emits no light but will not work in absolute darkness. System can be dazzled by sudden bright lights but does not physically blind the pilot.
- Thermo-Imager: Range: 2,000 feet (609 meters). Finds the infra-red radiations of things that are warm. Also enables pilot to see in smoke, shadows and darkness.
- Combat Computer/ Targeting Computer: Assist in the tracking of targets.
- Radar (Standard): 50 miles (80.5 km), can identify 96 targets and track 48 as low as 500 feet (152.4 meters.) Same as robots Maxi-Radar.
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2008, Kitsune. All rights reserved.