Free Quebec Porpoise class Attack Submarine:
Before going to war to protect themselves against the Coalition, the Free Quebec navy consisted of only frigates, destroyers, and cruisers. This was a serious problem because the Coalition operated both Carriers and Submarines. It is hoped that the Warrior class carrier will be able to counter the Coalition carriers but there was a serious underwater threat. The major problem was diverting large amounts of material for submarine construction would interfere with their other weapon programs. In addition, a smaller submarine could be constructed faster. Since reactors could be constructed much smaller, it facilitated the construction of a smaller submarine as well. It was decided that a submarine the size of a pre-rifts diesel electric patrol submarine would be the best.
Various pre-rifts submarine designs were examined and various experts from the New German Republic were hired outside the German Government and Triax as consultants. The only real problem was the fact that the design would have to be developed rapidly as well as having to go into immediate production before testing. This was necessary due to the large number of pre-rifts submarines that the Coalition was already operating and might mean a flawed design. The first series of boats was laid down and within two months, the first was ready to enter service. Luckily, the design had no major design flaws. It entered service and has already participated in the sinking of several Coalition patrol boats. An idea is being considered to send several of the Porpoise class submarines down to the Gulf of Mexico. If this design works out as well as evidence seems to be showing, the Coalition will soon be trailing Free Quebec in submarine warfare. The Porpoise class submarine is already becoming popular with their crews even though it is very cramped.
This submarine is surprisingly advanced and is in many ways superior to the much larger Coalition Orca class submarine. It can operate more effectively in shallower waters and requires a much smaller crew to operate. The Free Quebec Porpoise is slightly slower and can dive just as deep as the Orca and is just as quiet as the Orca was once refitted. Unlike the Coalition Orca class, the Porpoise is not designed to carry any troops of other vehicles. The design is innovative in many ways. The hull is much fatter than might be expected and 24 long range missiles are fitted on either side outside of the submarines pressure hull. This mounting is similar to the way some early minelayer submarines carried their mines as well as how the Russian Oscar class cruise missile submarine carried her cruise missiles. The ship has four torpedo tubes in the bow and mounts a retractable laser turret in front of the submarine's main sail. The sonar systems are a combination between pre-rifts systems and equipment purchased from the New German Republic and is slightly longer ranged than the Coalition sonar systems.
Model Type: SSKN-22 Porpoise class Submarine
Class: Ocean, Fast Attack Submarine
Crew: 28 total; 6 officers, 8 chief petty officers, 14 enlisted.
M.D.C. by Location:
|Torpedo Tubes (4 - Bow of submarine):||60 each|
|VLS Long Range Missile Launchers (24, Sides):||25 each|
|Laser Cannon Turret (1, forward of Sail):||125|
| Bow Planes (2):||125 each|
| Pump Jet Propulsor (1):||180|
| Main Body:||850|
 Destroying the submarines bow planes will reduce the submarine's ability to change depths but will not eliminate it. It also makes it difficult for the submarine's crew to control the submarine giving a penalty of -25% to all piloting rolls.
 Destroying the submarines Pump Jet Propulsor causes serious problems. The submarine will no longer be able to use forward momentum and the bow planes to keep the submarine level. It is recommended that ballast takes are immediately blown so submarine comes to surface.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body destroys the submarine's structural integrity, causing it to sink. If the submarine is underwater, the entire crew will die unless protected by environmental armors that can withstand the pressure that the submarine is under. If on the surface, there are enough flotation devices and inflatable life rafts to accommodate everyone aboard.
Surface: 23 mph (20 knots/ 37 kph)
Underwater: 34.5 mph (30 knots /55.6 mph)
Maximum Depth: 1.5 miles (2.4 km)
Maximum Effective Range: Effectively Unlimited due to fusion engines (needs to refuel every 20 years and requires maintenance as well). Submarine carries 6 months of supplies on board.
Draft: 17.7 feet (5.4 meters)
Width: 37.7 feet (11.5 meters)
Length: 236.2 feet (72.0 meters)
Displacement: 2,800 tons standard and 3,550 tons submerged
Cargo: Submarine is very cramped, 6 tons of nonessential equipment and supplies. Each enlisted crew member has a small locker for personal items and uniforms. Ships officers have more space for personal items. Most of the ship’s spaces are taken up by extra torpedoes, weapons, and engines.
Power System: Nuclear; average energy life of 20 years.
Black Market Price: Not for Sale but costs around 280 million credits to build. If found and sold on the black market, it would probably cost 500 to 800 million credits.
- Variable Frequency High-Powered Laser Turret (1): The cannon is mounted in front of the main sail and is fully retractable under concealing deck plates so that the turret does not disrupt water flow and are useful both underwater and on the surface. This weapon system is a relatively simple adaption of the Triax TX-41 Laser pulse rifle which was simply copied by Free Quebec and mounted into the turret. The turret has the ability to rotate 360 degrees and have a 90-degree arc of fire. While the weapon system is rarely call on to use the function, the variable frequency was retained and the weapon has 13 different possible frequencies to counter laser resistant armor. Number 7 counters standard USA-10 Glitterboy materials, Setting 13 is blue/green and used for underwater settings, and all other setting are designed to counter other laser resistant materials. The turret is both radar and infrared guided and has a +5 to hit but due to a lack of a crew, the weapon system does not have a manual firing setting. Primary targets for defense laser systems are missiles which are considered to be one of the biggest threats.
- Four (4) Heavy Torpedo Tubes: On the bow of the submarine are four torpedo tubes. Tubes are 21 inches (533 mm) wide and torpedoes can be used against both surface ships and submarines. For warheads, heavy torpedoes should be treated as having long missile warheads. Along with standard torpedoes, the launcher can also fire missiles in special canisters and rocket boosted ASW torpedoes. The sub carries 20 reloads for torpedoes.
- Twenty-Four (24) Vertical Launch Long Range Missile Launchers: One the sides of the submarine are twenty-four long range missile launchers that launch upwards. These launchers are mounted outside of the submarines pressure hull so they do not reduce internal volume. Missiles are launched in special canisters that enable the missiles to be used in depths down to 300 feet. Most missiles normally carried are fusion (Also smart missiles).
- Noisemakers: The submarine carries noisemakers to decoy torpedoes. The noisemakers are launched from the middle of the submarine.
Maximum Effective Range: 4,000 feet (1,200 meters).
Mega Damage: 3D6 for single shot and 1D6x10 for three round burst.
Rate of Fire:Automated, Can fire up to 6 times per melee.
Payload: Unlimited (Draws Power off the main engines).
Maximum Effective Range: 40 miles (64 km)
Mega Damage: By Heavy torpedo warhead type (See revised Rifts torpedoes for details), can fire missiles (Long Range or Cruise) in special canisters as well (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire torpedoes one at a time or in volleys of two (2), three (3), or four (4) torpedoes. The launchers can fire up to four volleys per melee due to automated reloading system
Payload: 4 Total (Has 20 torpedoes for reloads)
Maximum Effective Range: As per long range missile type ((Go to revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: As per long range missile type ((Go to revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Missiles can be fired one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), eight (8), twelve (12), or twenty-four (24) missiles and can be fired at multiple targets at the same time.
Payload: 24 missiles total. Submarine carries no reloads.
Effect: 50% of decoying normal torpedoes and 20% of decoying smart torpedoes.
Rate of Fire: 2 at a time (Can be reloaded in one melee)
Payload: 20 Noisemakers
The submarine has all systems standard on a robot vehicle plus the following special features:
- Extended Life Support: This submarine has an enhanced like support system when compared to most other vehicles because it is designed to operate underwater for extended periods of time. The submarine has an incredible air recycling system that allows the crew to recycle air for six months before the atmosphere is too stale to breathe. The submarine also has a 96 hour supply of oxygen to support the recycling system.
- Advanced Hull Sonar System: Sonar system has a range of around 55 nautical miles (63.3 miles / 101.8 km). This hull sonar system has both a passive and active system built in. Sonar system can track up to 24 targets at one time and has a +10% to read sensor and weapon system skill rolls.
- Advanced Towed Array Sonar: The system is basically a long and very sensitive sonar system carried behind the submarine on a long cable. Sonar system has a range of around 120 nautical miles (138.1 miles/222.2 km). This towed array Sonar is a passive only sensor system. Sonar system can track up to 48 targets at one time.
- ESM: This system is mounted in mounted in the superstructure and is extended in a similar manner to a periscope. The antenna is very hard to detect both visually and by radar. Can detect another radar system at 125% of the range of the transmitting radar.
- Quieted propulsion and Anechoic Coating: The ship is designed with a very quiet pump jet propulsor design, the submarine's reactor makes very little noise, and the submarine is covered by a sonar defeating rubber coating. The submarine is -50% to detect when traveling at less that 20 knots and is at -30% to detect when traveling at speeds greater than that.
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2000 & 2001, Kitsune. All rights reserved.