Golden Age Weaponsmiths USS Alabama Battleship:
Golden Age Weaponsmiths found a small miracle. They found the War Memorial USS Alabama mostly intact. It had been in Drydock in Ingalls Shipbuilding in Mississippi when the Rifts struck and the ship was able to survive the cataclysm mostly undamaged. The ships had also been recently coated with a new anti-rust coating which allowed the ship to survive the environment until it was discovered by search parties hired by Golden Age Weaponsmiths. In their most ambitious refit ever, they decided to refit the battleship. It will likely be another year or so until the ship is fully refitted. It is unknown who they plan to sell the ship to, but the Coalition, Free Quebec, and several other parties have already expressed an interest in purchasing the ship. There is even some talk that the ship will be retained by Golden Age Weaponsmiths themselves for home defense and be the center of a battlefleet they are considering building.
Even though the ship was relatively intact, the work on the ship was very close to rebuilding the ship. In their explorations of the Norfolk area, they were able to find some plans for refitting Iowa class battleship and while the Alabama, a South Dakota II class Battleship, is smaller that the Iowa class they were able to come up with a way of using the ideas. The ship's purpose is that of an ultimate weapon platform and all nine sixteen inch guns were retained although they were reinforced with MDC materials. Originally, the ship has ten mounts with double barrel five inch guns. Six of the five inch guns mounts were retained but four of the guns were replaced by vertical launch missile batteries with forty long range missiles each with one set of reloads for each launcher. The turrets that were replaced were the two rear five inch turrets on the ship. All of the anti-air batteries were removed and replaced. The ship has these replaced by four close in weapon systems and six short range missile batteries. When these systems are combined with the long range missile launchers, they make an incredible missile defense. The close in weapon systems are in the upper superstructure and the short range missile launchers are on either side of the main superstructure and forward of the rear turrets on the main deck.
Hull and weapons involved a huge amount of work as well. The engines were removed and replaced by powerful nuclear reactors. There was originally a plan to re-engine the South Dakota II class battleships. This was done in a different form than had been originally planned more than a hundred years before and the ship should be able to reach a top speed of 33 knots. The ship retains its stacks but they serve no purpose in the design now. The ships hull and armor has been replaced by strong MDC plates. The top mast of the superstructure has been modified and powerful radar systems have been added to the structure. One is similar to the Aegis system and the other is similar to the SPS-49 radar system. The SPS-49 is constructed on a tower mast similar to what was fitted to the Iowa class battleships in the later half of the twentieth century. It was proposed that a sonar system would be a good addition to the ship but the idea was determined to be impractical because the ship is too noisy for that to be effective. For this reason, search helicopters will likely be carried.
The crew has been reduced by replaced systems on the ship with ones that require less manpower. This has allowed the ships crew to be reduced by about one quarter. The crew quarters have also been increased in comfort. The ship also has air conditions and full NBC protection. The ship can carry a total of two hundred marines on board. These marines are used for both assaults and shipboard defenses. The ship has room on the rear for two VTOL craft but has no hanger facilities. It is also likely that marines will have a total of about eighty power armors as well.
Model Type: Modified BB-57 Class Battleships
Class: Modified Battleship
Crew: 950; 60 Officers, 70 chief petty officer, 720 enlisted (Original peacetime crew was 1793)
Troops: 10 Aircraft Crew-members, 80 Marines in Power Armor, and 120 Marines in Body Armor
Robots, Power Armors, and Vehicles:
|80||SAMAS or Other Power Armors|
|2||Helicopters or other VTOL Aircraft|
M.D.C. by Location:
|Sixteen Inch (406 mm) 45 Caliber Barrels (9, 16 inch turrets):||300 each|
|Sixteen Inch (406 mm) Triple Turrets (3):||1,500 each|
|Five Inch (127 mm) 38 Caliber Barrels (12, 5 inch turrets):||60 each|
|Five Inch (127 mm) Twin 38 Caliber Guns Turrets (6):||250 each|
|Phalanx Laser CIWS (4, Superstructure):||100 each|
|VLS Missile Launchers (4):||300 each|
|Short Range Missile Launchers (6):||150 each|
|Bridge / Superstructure:||4,100|
| SPS-49 Search Radar Tower:||400|
| Phase Array Radar Panels (4, Superstructure):||300 each|
| Main Body:||10,000|
 Destroying Phase Array radar panels will destroy the ship's fire control systems but guns have backup systems and panels can compensate for each other.
 Destroying the main body destroys propulsion and power systems, disabling the ship. The ship has a large amount of reserve buoyancy that allows the ship to withstand up to -2,000 MDC before losing structural integrity and sinking. There are enough life preservers and inflatable life boats to accommodate everyone on the ship.
Surface: 38 mph (33 knots/ 61.2 kph)
Maximum Effective Range: Effectively Unlimited due to fusion engines (needs to refuel every 15 years and requires maintenance as well). Ship carries six months of supplies on board.
Draft: 33.9 feet (10.3 meters) [mean draft]
Width: 108.1 feet (33.0 meters)
Length: 679 feet 5 inches (207.1 meters)
Displacement: 35,500 tons light load and 45,800 fully loaded
Cargo: 800 tons of nonessential equipment and supplies. Each enlisted crew member has a small locker for personal items and uniforms. Ships officers have more space for personal items. Most of the ship's spaces are taken up by extra ammo, armor, troops, weapons, and engines.
Power System: Originally conventional steam propulsion, converted to four nuclear reactors with an average life span of 15 years.
Black Market Price: It is unknown how much Golden Age Weaponsmiths will sell this ship for. It could easily go for over two billion credits.
- Three (3) Mk 6 Triple Barrel Sixteen Inch (406 mm) Naval Guns: Two turrets are mounted on the ship forward of the superstructure ship and one turret is mounted behind the ship's superstructure. The barrels have been modified so that can be elevated up to 45 degrees and the turrets can rotate 280 degrees. These cannons are slightly less powerful than those that were mounted on the Iowa class battleship but are still capable of destroying a target in a small number of shots. Likely, any other Naval ship that gets within these guns will be destroyed in just a few minutes. The cannons are also very effective in ground bombarding roles. These cannons do have a limited rate of fire and are too large to be effectively used against aircraft. The cannons can also use rocket assisted projectiles for extended range.
- Six (6) Mk 12 Double Barrel Five Inch (127 mm) 38 Caliber Naval Guns: These are original five inch gun mounts on the ship. Six of the original turrets on the design were retained although the gun maneuvering system was upgraded. These are the three forward turrets on each side of the ship. The barrels can be elevated up to 85 degrees and the turrets can rotate 360 degrees. They have been reinforced with mega-damage materials and are still quite useful. The guns can be used against other ships, against ground targets, and against aircraft. The five inch guns can also use special rocket assisted projectiles for extended range.
- Four (4) Phalanx CIWS Vulcan Cannon: These mounts replace four of the 40 mm flack mounts that were on the ship's superstructure. Various weapon systems were examined. The final idea was to take the Vulcan laser from the iron hammer battle tank and use a copy of the fire control from a pre-rifts US Navy CIWS. It is believed that this idea is copied from a ship design constructed by their neighbors in Florida. The laser system can fire on automatic at up to six targets per melee (Has +3 to strike missile and +2 to strike aircraft). The system has a 360 degree rotation and can elevate up to 90 degrees to fire at targets directly overhead.
- Four (4) Vertical Launch Launchers: These launchers replace the two rear Five inch gun turrets on either side of the ship. Each of the four mounts has 40 cells with provisions for missiles in an 8 long by 5 wide cell configuration. The launcher may launch on multiple targets each. The system is similar to the vertical launch system employed on many ships in the late twentieth century to launch the SM-2 series missile but has a reload system that reloads from under the launcher and can reload within 15 seconds. Each cell can carry one long range missile or two medium range missiles. The reload for the cell must carry the same load as the main cell. Long range missiles are normally used against large targets and aircraft further out where the medium range missiles will normally be used to engage closer targets. About half of all long range missiles carried are fusion warheads and most missiles are normally smart missiles. The launcher can use a vast variety of missiles including surface skimming missiles and rocket propelled torpedoes (See Revised Rifts Torpedoes). Long range missiles are normally used against large targets and aircraft / missiles.
- Six (6) Short Range Missile Launching Systems: Each launcher has a 24 Short Range Missiles and in many ways is similar to the Pre-Rifts RAM point defense missile launcher. Two mounts replace the 40 mm gun mounts on either side of the ship's forward superstructure and two are on the ships main deck just forward of the ships rear 16 inch gun turret. This missile mounts main purpose is for inner anti-missile point defense. Short Range Missiles are usually a mixture of 50% Armor Piercing and 50% Plasma. Each launcher operates independently and can lock onto multiple targets.
Maximum Effective Range: 35 miles (30.4 nm/56.3 km) for standard projectiles. 52.4 miles (45.6 nm/84.5 km) for rocket propelled rounds.
Mega-Damage: Standard Projectiles: 6D6x10 to a blast radius of 50 ft (15.2 m) for High Explosive, 1D4x100 to a blast radius of 10 ft (3 m) for High Explosive Armor Piercing, and 1D6x100 to a blast radius of 50 ft (15.2 m) for Plasma. Rocket projectiles: 4D6x10 to a blast radius of 30 feet (9.1 m) for High Explosive, 6D6x10 to a blast radius of 6 ft (2 m) for High Explosive Armor Piercing, and 1D4x100 to a blast radius of 30 feet (9.1 m) for Plasma. Cannons can also use special purpose warheads, double the statistics for 203 mm artillery warheads for damage and effects (Go to Battlefield Artillery for Rifts for more information - standard or rocket assisted as appropriate).
Rate of Fire: Once every two melees or two shots per barrel per minute (Can fire up to 6 shots per turret per minute or up to 18 shots with all three turrets).
Payload: 1080 Rounds (360 per turret), usually carries 240 High Explosive, 240 High Explosive Armor Piercing, 240 Plasma, 120 Rocket Propelled High Explosive, 120 Rocket Propelled High Explosive Armor Piercing, and 120 Rocket Propelled Plasma rounds. The ship will carry special rounds when employed in artillery roles.
Maximum Effective Range: 12 miles (10.4 nm/19.3 km) for standard projectiles, 20 miles (17.4 nm/32.2 km) for rocket propelled rounds.
Mega-Damage: Standard Projectiles: 2D6x10 to a blast radius of 25 ft (7.7 m) for High Explosive, 3D6x10 to a blast radius of 6 ft (2 m) for High Explosive Armor Piercing, and 4D6x10 to a blast radius of 25 ft (7.7 m) for Plasma. Rocket projectiles: 2D4x10 to a blast radius of 20 ft (6.1 m) for High Explosive, 2D6x10 to a blast radius of 4 ft (1.2 m) for High Explosive Armor Piercing, and 3D6x10 to a blast radius of 20 ft (6.1 m) for Plasma. Double weapons damage if the gun is firing both cannons simultaneously and for special purpose warheads use the statistics for 105 mm artillery warheads (Go to Battlefield Artillery for Rifts for more information - standard or rocket assisted as appropriate).
Rate of Fire: Four shots per barrel per melee (Firing both barrels counts as one attack)
Payload: 6000 rounds (1000 rounds per weapon mount). Ship normally carries usually carries 1500 High Explosive, 1500 High Explosive Armor Piercing, 1500 Plasma, 500 Rocket Propelled High Explosive, 500 Rocket Propelled High Explosive Armor Piercing, and 500 Rocket Propelled Plasma rounds. Ship will carry special rounds when employed in artillery roles.
Maximum Effective Range: 4000 feet (1212 m) Mega Damage: 3D4x10 MD (burst)
Rate of Fire: 6 Attacks per melee (Has +3 to strike missile and +2 to strike aircraft)
Payload: Effectively Unlimited
Maximum Effective Range: As per long or medium range missile type (Go to Revised bomb and missile table).
Mega Damage: As per long or medium range missile type (Go to Revised bomb and missile table).
Rate of Fire: One at a time or in volleys of 2, 4, 8, or 20 per launcher per melee and can be fired at multiple targets at the same time. Missile cells are automatically reloaded and are ready to fire next melee.
Payload: 40 missile cells in each launcher with one reload for each cell in each launcher (160 missile cells total / Potential maximum of 320 long range missiles). One long range missile or two medium range missiles may be carried per cell but reload must be the same load out as well. The ship will often carry 20 cells in each launcher (80 cells total) with two medium range missiles each and the other cells loaded with one long range missile each (Normal load is 160 long range missiles and 320 medium range missiles).
Maximum Effective Range: As per short range missile type (Go to Revised bomb and missile table).
Mega Damage: As per short range missile type (Go to Revised bomb and missile table).
Rate of Fire: One at a time or in volleys of two, four, six, or twelve (Each launcher operates independently)
Payload: 24 missiles each launcher for a grand total of 144 missiles (Has 182 missiles for reloads kept in storage)
The ship has all systems standard on a robot vehicle plus the following special features:
- SPS-49 Radar: Long range air search radar system. Radar system has a range of 445 nautical miles (512.1 miles / 824.1 km). Radar system can track up to 128 targets simultaneously
- SPY-1D+ Phased Array Radar: Powerful and flexible pre-rifts radar system that is comprised of four panels that each emit radar waves. Less advanced than the phased radar system fitted on the Coalition ships but still powerful. If allowed by the horizon, the system can track out to 175 nautical miles (201.4 miles / 324.1 km) and can simultaneously track and identify up to 288 targets at one time. The system controls missile launched from the long range missile launchers and the system track and guide each individual missile to an individual target for up to 96 targets. If a target is eliminated, missiles are automatically guided to a new target. The system can also control missiles launched from other linked vessels as well and can also act as fire control for gun mounts.
- Advanced Integrated Electronic Warfare System (AIEWS): Combination of radar detection system (ESM) and an active jamming system. The system can detect another radar system at 125% of the range of the transmitting radar. In jamming mode, causes -25% to detection but when it is active, other vehicles/ bases can detect that it is jamming, and some missiles will home in on jamming signals. Jamming also causes a -4 penalty to all radar guided weapons.
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, and Xiticix TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Image drawn and copyrighted by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 1999, 2001, & 2003, Kitsune. All rights reserved.