Golden Age Weaponsmiths Los Angeles class Submarines:
Along with destroyers and other surface ships, Golden Age Weaponsmiths has converted some pre-rifts submarines to post rifts service. The Los Angeles class was a large class of submarines and well constructed and because of these reasons, some of these fine submarines were retained in mothball fleet to cover later needs. All Los Angeles class submarines had been decommissioned by the year 2020 and most had been scrapped over the years. Due to them essentially being forgotten about and due to the involved process for scrapping a nuclear submarine, a few units survived until the coming of the rifts. Golden Age has been able to refit one and they may be able to refit another by cannibalizing other submarines of the class. The one that has been refitted has been sold to the Coalition and both the Coalition and Free Quebec are looking to purchase the second if completed.
The Thresher, the one submarine of the Los Angeles class that the Coalition has in service of their navy was originally SSN-768 USS Hartford. The submarine is not as quiet as the later Sea Wolf and Virginia class (Also known as NSSN and Centurion class) submarines but is actually then their Orca class due to the insistence of Carl Prosek to put a skull design on the bow of the submarine. As a result of the Coalition needing to redesign their Orca class, it appears that this submarine will remain in service longer than originally planned. The Orca is in a CS shipyard and they are refitting the Orca. The present plan is to reconstruct the bow to a standard submarine bow and simply paint a skull on the nose of the submarine. Author Note: The Author suggests that this writeup is used in place of the writeup done by Palladium Books in the Coalition Navy due to being more complete and being based on better research and a better general knowledge of the United States Navy by the author. The skull design of the Orca class is also a serious problem and would compromise any other stealth features of the submarine because it would cause an uneven water flow.
For the age of the submarine, the sub is surprising capable even when compared to post rifts submarines but is nowhere near as space efficient as some of the much newer classes. The Coalition first attempted to purchase advanced sonar systems from Triax but the leaders of the NGR decided not to sell the most advanced systems they have and instead the sub retained the pre rifts sensor system although they have been upgraded to some extent. One of the biggest problem is that the submarine was constructed out of steel which cannot take the abuse from most weapons in the post Rifts environment. This was easily solved by fitting the ship with high strength ceramic and plastic armors. Because the hull is not constructed out of these materials but is just protected by them, the submarines maximum depth was not increased. The old engine was replaced by a more advanced fusion reactor which is both safer and easier to refuel. In general, submarine weaponry has changed little since modern submarines were first built. The main weaponry are four forward torpedo tubes that fire heavy torpedoes and can be used against both surface targets and submarines. The launchers can also can launch missiles in special canisters. The submarine also has missile tubes in the bow of the submarine and can the sub can carry up to twelve cruise missiles.
Like all submarines, the Los Angeles class is very cramped and the ship only has very tiny staterooms shared by multiple officers and enlisted don't actually have enough bunks for the entire crew and have to hot bunk. This mean that multiple crew members will use the same bunk at different times.
Model Type: Modified Improved SSN-688 Class
Class: Fast Attack Submarine
Crew: 153 total; 15 officers, 15 chief petty officer, 123 enlisted.
M.D.C. by Location:
|Torpedo Tubes (4 - Bow of submarine):||50 each|
|VLS Cruise Missile Launchers (12, Bow of Submarine):||25 each|
| Bow Planes (2):||100 each|
| Pump Jet Propulsor (1):||200|
| Main Body:||1,000|
 Destroying the submarines bow planes will reduce the submarines ability to change depths but will not eliminate it. It also makes it difficult for the submarines crew to control the submarine giving a penalty of -25% to all piloting rolls.
 Destroying the submarines Pump Jet Propulsor causes serious problem. The submarine will no longer be able to use forward momentum and the bow planes to keep the submarine level. It is recommended that ballast takes are immediately blown so submarine comes to surface.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body destroys the submarine's structural integrity, causing it to sink. If the submarine is underwater, the entire crew will die unless protected by environmental armors that can withstand the pressure that the submarine is under. If on the surface, there are enough flotation devices and inflatable life rafts to accommodate everyone aboard.
Surface: 25.3 mph (22 knots/ 40.7 kph)
Underwater: 40.2 mph (35 knots /64.8 mph)
Maximum Depth: 1,500 feet (457.2 meters)
Maximum Effective Range: Effectively Unlimited due to fusion engines (needs to refuel every 15 years and requires maintenance as well). Ship carries 6 months of supplies on board.
Draft: 32 feet (9.75 meters)
Width: 32 feet (9.75 meters)
Length: 360 feet (109.7 meters)
Displacement: 6,080 tons standard and 6,927 tons submerged
Cargo: Submarine is very cramped, 10 tons of nonessential equipment and supplies. Each enlisted crew member has a small locker for personal items and uniforms. Ships officers have more space for personal items. Most of the ships spaces are take up by extra torpedoes, weapons, and engines.
Power System: Originally one pressurized-water S6G, converted to more modern fusion reactor system (20 year duration).
Black Market Price: Not Available but it is rumored that they sold the submarine to the coalition for a cost of 400 million credits.
- Four (4) Heavy Torpedo Tubes: On the bow of the submarine are four torpedo tubes. Tubes are 21 inches (533 mm) wide and torpedoes can be used against both surface ships and submarines. For warheads, heavy torpedoes should be treated as having long missiles warheads. Along with standard torpedoes, launcher can also fire missiles (Cruise or long range) in special canisters and rocket boosted ASW torpedoes. Submarine carries 26 reloads for torpedoes and can carry up to 52 mines in place of torpedoes.
- Twelve (12) Vertical Launch Cruise Missile Launchers (MK 45 VLS): In the front of the submarine but behind the torpedo tubes, the submarine has VLS for launching missiles. Missiles are launched in special canisters that enables the missiles to be used in depths down to 300 feet.. Most missiles normally carried are fusion (Also smart missiles). The launchers were originally designed to carry Tomahawk missiles but were modified to fire all standard cruise missiles.
- Noisemakers: The submarine carries noisemakers to decoy torpedoes. The noisemakers are launched from the middle of the submarine.
Maximum Effective Range: 40 miles (64 km)
Mega Damage: By Heavy torpedo warhead type (See revised Rifts torpedoes for details), can fire missiles (Long Range or Cruise) in special canisters as well (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire torpedoes one at a time or in volleys of two (2), three (3), or four (4) torpedoes. Reloading takes 1 full melee
Payload: 4 Total (Has 26 torpedoes for reloads)
Maximum Effective Range: As per cruise missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: As per cruise missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), eight (8), or twelve (12) missiles and can be fired at multiple target at the same time.
Payload: 12 cruise missiles total. Submarine carries no reloads
Effect: 50% of decoying normal torpedoes and 20% of decoying smart torpedoes.
Rate of Fire: 2 at a time (Can be reloaded in one melee)
Payload: 20 Noisemakers
The submarine has all systems standard on a robot vehicle plus the following special features::
- Extended Life Support: This submarine has an enhanced like support system when compared to most other vehicles because it is designed to operate underwater for extended periods of time. The submarine has an incredible air recycling system that allows the crew to recycle air for five months before the atmosphere is too stale to breath. The submarine also has a 96 hour supply of oxygen to support the recycling system.
- BSY-1 Hull Sonar System and BQG-5 Wide Aperture Array: Sonar system has a range of around 24 nautical miles (27.6 miles / 44.4 km). This hull sonar system has both a passive and active system built in. Sonar system can track up to 16 targets at one time and has a +10% to read sensor and weapon system skill rolls.
- TB-23 Towed Array Sonar: The system is basically a long and very sensitive sonar system carried behind the submarine on a long cable. Sonar system has a range of around 90 nautical miles (103.7 miles/166.7 km). This towed array Sonar is a passive only sensor system. Sonar system can track up to 32 targets at one time.
- ESM: This system is mounted in mounted in the superstructure and is extended in a similar manner to a periscope. The antenna is very hard to detect both visually and by radar. Can detect another radar system at 125% of the range of the transmitting radar.
- Quieted propulsion and Anechoic Coating: The ship is designed with a very quiet pump jet propulsor design, the submarines reactors make very little noise, and the ships is coated by a sonar defeating rubber coating. The submarine is -40% to detect when traveling at less that 5 knots and is at -20% to detect when traveling at speeds greater than that.
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 1998 to 2001, Kitsune. All rights reserved.