Golden Age Weaponsmiths Ohio class Submarines:
While fast attack submarines are an important tactical asset, ballistic missile submarines have always been considered a strategic and political weapon since their introduction. Two of these submarines were found by Golden Age Weaponsmiths and have been returned to active service. The original plan was to convert them to attack submarines but instead the Coalition payed for them to be refitted to remain as ballistic missile submarines. Due to the fact that no ballistic missile submarines were constructed until just before the coming of the Rifts, these submarines remained in service far longer than might otherwise be expected. The two Ohio class submarines had been decommissioned previous to the coming of the rifts and were waiting to be scrapped. Since the scrapping of a nuclear submarine is a very involved process, these submarines were still untouched by the scrapping yard when the Rifts came. Luckily for the peace of the post Rifts world, the Coalition has been unable to recover none of the ballistic missile submarine class that were constructed after the Ohio class. It also appears that all other Ohio class submarines had already been scrapped.
The two submarines were originally SSBN-737 USS Kentucky and SSBN-739 USS Nebraska and have been renamed the Defiance and the Reprisal by the Coalition. The submarine class is about as quiet as the Los Angeles class but is not as quiet as the later Sea Wolf or Virginia (Also known as NSSN and Centurion class) class fast attack submarines. While the ships are old and hard to maintain, the weaponry that they give to the Coalition means that they will be maintained in service until replacements are constructed. The chiefs in the Coalition Navy are currently rethinking having the submarines always in port and are thinking about deploying them in the South Atlantic. The reasoning behind this is that they are more vulnerable in port then they are at sea. If this occurs, the eventual plan is to construct a slightly extended length version of the Orca class that carries ballistic missiles instead of the huge number of long range missiles that the Orca carries. This class is to be constructed only once they solve the teething problems with the Orca class. Author Note: The Author suggests that this writeup is used in place of the writeup done by Palladium Books in the Coalition Navy Sourcebook due to being more complete and being based on more in-depth research and a better general knowledge of the United States Navy by the author.
The Ohio class submarines received several refits before the coming of the Rifts and were fitted with pump jets propulsors instead of propellers and were fitted with anechoic (sound absorbing) tiles on the hull. The sonar systems were some of the best sonar systems at the time of the subs' construction and along with the sonar in the Sea Wolf and Virginia classes, taught the Coalition many lessons about sonar system. The sonar systems have been upgraded and modified to some extent to deal with new threats but are for the most part the same systems as were originally carried. The sub needed to be able to survive so they have fitted the submarine with high strength ceramic and plastic armors. Because the hull is not constructed out of these materials but is just protected by them on the outside, the submarine's maximum depth was not increased. The old engine was replaced by a more advanced fusion reactor which is both safer and easier to refuel. The ship has four torpedo tubes but this is not the submarine's main weaponry, the submarine's main weaponry are twenty four ballistic missiles with fourteen maneuverable reentry vehicles on each missile. These submarines have the ability to devastate many small countries easily and make many of the Coalition neighbors very nervous.
Like all submarines, the Ohio class is very cramped and the ship only has very tiny staterooms shared by multiple officers and enlisted don't actually have enough bunks for the entire crew and have to hot bunk. This mean that multiple crew members will use the same bunk at different times. Originally, the submarine class had two crews. The submarine would then rotate between crews to remain operational for longer periods of time. If the subs enter into longer service at sea for the Coalition, this is what the Coalition plans to do as well.
Model Type: Modified SSBN-726 Class
Class: Strategic Ballistic Submarine
Crew: 153 total; 15 officers, 16 chief petty officer, 140 enlisted.
M.D.C. by Location:
|Torpedo Tubes (4 - Bow of submarine):||50 each|
|Ballistic Missile Launchers (24, Behind Main Sail of Submarine):||50 each|
| Bow Planes (2):||120 each|
| Pump Jet Propulsor (1):||250|
| Main Body:||1,400|
 Destroying the submarines bow planes will reduce the submarine's ability to change depths but will not eliminate it. It also makes it difficult for the submarine's crew to control the submarine giving a penalty of -25% to all piloting rolls.
 Destroying the submarine's Pump Jet Propulsor causes serious problem. The submarine will no longer be able to use forward momentum and the bow planes to keep the submarine level. It is recommended that ballast takes are immediately blown so submarine comes to surface.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body destroys the submarine's structural integrity, causing it to sink. If the submarine is underwater, the entire crew will die unless protected by environmental armors that can withstand the pressure that the submarine is under. If on the surface, there are enough flotation devices and inflatable life rafts to accommodate everyone aboard.
Surface: 28.8 mph (25 knots/46.3 kph)
Underwater: 34.5 mph (30 knots /55.6 mph)
Maximum Depth: 1,200 feet (365.8 meters)
Maximum Effective Range: Effectively Unlimited due to fusion engines (needs to refuel every 15 years and requires maintenance as well). Ship carries 6 months of supplies on board.
Draft: 36.25 feet (11 meters)
Width: 42 feet (12.8 meters)
Length: 560 feet (170.7 meters)
Displacement: 16,764 tons standard and 18,750 tons submerged
Cargo: Submarine is very cramped, 10 tons of nonessential equipment and supplies. Each enlisted crew member has a small locker for personal items and uniforms. Ships officers have more space for personal items. Most of the ship’s spaces are taken up by extra torpedoes, weapons, and engines.
Power System: Originally one pressurized-water S8G, converted to more modern fusion reactor system (15 year duration).
Black Market Price: Not Available but it is rumored that they sold the submarines to the Coalition for a cost of 800 million credits each.
- Four (4) Heavy Torpedo Tubes: On the bow of the submarine are four torpedo tubes. Tubes are 21 inches (533 mm) wide and torpedoes can be used against both surface ships and submarines. For warheads, heavy torpedoes should be treated as having long missile warheads. Along with standard torpedoes, the launcher can also fire missiles (long range or cruise) in special canisters and rocket boosted ASW torpedoes. Submarine carries 16 reloads for torpedoes.
- Twenty Four (24) Trident D-5 Strategic Ballistic Missiles: Behind the submarine's superstructure are two rows of twelve ballistic missiles. These missiles make the Ohio class one of the most dangerous ship classes on Rifts Earth. Missiles can be launched at depths up to 300 feet. The CS has simply copied the missile designs from the pre-rifts missile. Missiles have a range of 6,000 nautical miles but essentially enter a low orbit to do so they would probably either be destroyed by the debris rings or by defense satellites. Missiles can be launched at targets less than 1,000 nautical miles without entering a ballistic trajectory. Each missile has 14 warheads that are each the equivalent of a nuclear long range missile warhead. The missiles can hit targets up to 100 nautical miles away from where the missile breaks into its multiple warheads and can target multiple targets. Each warhead has independent guidance and is considered a smart missile.
- Noisemakers: The submarine carries noisemakers to decoy torpedoes. The noisemakers are launched from the middle of the submarine.
Maximum Effective Range: 40 miles (64 km)
Mega Damage: By Heavy torpedo warhead type (See revised Rifts torpedoes for details), can fire missiles (Long Range or Cruise) in special canisters as well (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire torpedoes one at a time or in volleys of two (2), three (3), or four (4) torpedoes. Reloading takes 1 full melee
Payload: 4 Total (Has 16 torpedoes for reloads)
Maximum Effective Range: 6,904.7 miles (6,000 nautical miles / 11,112 km ) but must be launched ballistically, 1,150.8 miles (1,000 nautical miles /1,852 km) with missiles being launched sub ballistically. Missile warheads can hit targets withing a 115 miles (100 nautical miles /185 km) of where the missile breaks into fourteen warheads.
Mega Damage: Each missile have 14 warheads which each are equal to a nuclear long range missile warhead Go to revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), or six (6) missiles and can be fired at multiple targets at the same time.
Payload: 24 Trident Ballistic missiles total. Submarine carries no reloads
Effect: 50% of decoying normal torpedoes and 20% of decoying smart torpedoes.
Rate of Fire: 2 at a time (Can be reloaded in one melee)
Payload: 20 Noisemakers.
The submarine has all systems standard on a robot vehicle plus the following special features::
- Extended Life Support: This submarine has an enhanced like support system when compared to most other vehicles because it is designed to operate underwater for extended periods of time. The submarine has an incredible air recycling system that allows the crew to recycle air for five months before the atmosphere is too stale to breathe. The submarine also has a 96 hour supply of oxygen to support the recycling system.
- BQQ-6 Hull Sonar System: Sonar system has a range of around 24 nautical miles (27.6 miles / 44.4 km). This hull sonar system has both a passive and active system built in. Sonar system can track up to 16 targets at one time.
- BQQ-9 Towed Array Sonar: The system is basically a long and very sensitive sonar system carried behind the submarine on a long cable. Sonar system has a range of around 90 nautical miles (103.7 miles/166.7 km). This towed array Sonar is a passive only sensor system. Sonar system can track up to 32 targets at one time.
- ESM: This system is mounted in mounted in the superstructure and is extended in a similar manner to a periscope. The antenna is very hard to detect both visually and by radar. Can detect another radar system at 125% of the range of the transmitting radar.
- Quieted propulsion and Anechoic Coating: The ship is designed with a very quiet pump jet propulsor design, the submarine's reactors make very little noise, and the boat is coated by a sonar defeating rubber coating. The submarine is -40% to detect when traveling at less that 5 knots and is at -20% to detect when traveling at speeds greater than that.
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 1998, 1999, & 2001 Kitsune. All rights reserved.