Golden Age Weaponsmiths PGM V "Defiant" class Patrol Gunboat:
Golden Age Weaponsmiths concentrates mainly on refitting old Pre-Rifts designs but they do manufacture some new hardware. These are mostly trucks and jeeps although they do produce a small number of light military designs. This includes a number of of small boats as well. Even though they do refit larger warships, they have far more customers for these smaller vessels. Most of these can operate in much shallower waters including rivers and relatively small lakes. Mercenaries as well as several small governments purchase such vessels from Golden Age Weaponsmiths. Even the Coalition has bought a small number of these various boats classes
The Defiant class Patrol Gunboat is a bit different in some respects. It is a fair amount larger than the companies other patrol boat classes, around three hundred tons, which makes it have limited ability to operate ins shallow waters. Still, the company is hoping to interest customers, possibly even the Coalition, in this new vessel design. So far, only a couple of these boats have been build. These are considered prototypes for what is hoped to be a large number of vessels. There is some concern that the Coalition might be concerned about the vessels although they are still comparative small.
Like most designs, the Defiant class Patrol Gunboat is based on the design of a Pre-Rifts design. In the Defiant class, the boat is believed to be based on the Asheville class patrol gunboat although it is slightly larger. Golden Age Weaponsmiths was able to find extensive blueprints of the Asheville class which they were able to develop their gunboat design from. Several other major changes have included the replacing of engines with more common engine designs and modifying the weapon systems to ease manufacturing. Wherever possible, systems already manufactured by Golden Age Weaponsmiths are used on the gunboat design.
While they have refitted far larger vessels with new armor materials, the Defiant class patrol gunboat is the largest vessel built from the keel up which Golden Age Weapon has ever produced. There was some problems in construction due to this and the design was delayed as a result. Because these boats are build completely from high strength alloys and composites, these boats are stronger per ton than many of those larger vessels. In fact, they are almost as tough as the much larger converted Oliver Hazard Perry class frigates.
Golden Age does not manufacture any fusion reactors. As a result, the boat's propulsion system is conventional. The boat has a pair of diesel engines for normal propulsion and a single gas turbine engine for high speed operations. These engines are more modern and powerful than those mounted on the original Asheville class patrol boat although this is partially mitigated by the fact that the boat is also slightly heavier. Still, it is slightly faster. Using the main diesels, the boat has a top speed of eighteen knots and forty-two knots on the gas turbine. It takes moments to switch from the diesel engines to the gas turbine engine and the boat can accelerate extremely rapidly on the gas turbine. Range is two thousand nautical miles at normal cruising speeds although far less using the gas turbine engine.
It is likely that many owners will strip out all the boat's engines and replace the gas turbine with a fusion turbine. It is possible that Golden Age Weaponsmith might even offer this upgrade. This replacement of Gas Turbines has been done on several frigate and destroyer classes and is relatively straight forward. Results of this fusion turbine most like would be at least equal speed if not greater top speed. In addition, this engine would have virtually unlimited even at high speeds. Of course, operations would still be limited by the crew's supplies.
These boats carry a great deal of firepower for their tonnage. Mounted on the Bow, the main gun is a single three inch gun similar to what was mounted on the Oliver Hazard Perry class frigate and many other Pre-Rifts vessels. While a Pre-Rifts weapon system, it is still far more modern than the three inch gun mounted on the original Asheville class. This weapon is capable of engaging surface targets as well as fast moving air targets. It can even track and target incoming missiles. On the stern of the vessel is a 30 mm Bushmaster II auto cannon. This replaces the original 40 mm cannon carried on the original Asheville class and while shorter ranged, it is more accurate and has a much greater rate of fire. On each side of the boat, there are twin .50 machine gun mounts. They are surprisingly although it is mostly that most owners will replace them with automatic grenade launchers for increased firepower. Some might also replace them with rail guns.
While optional, these boats have the mounting for a total of four long range missile tubes on the stern. Similar in design to the old Pre-Rifts Harpoon missile canisters, it is expected that most owners will carry these long missiles. Generally these missiles will be fired at other vessels, especially large vessels, and often sea skimming missiles will probably be carried. In addition, the boat has the option to mount short range missile launchers above the pilot house for the vessel's defenses, mainly against missiles. The launcher has six missiles ready to fire and has a total capacity of twelve short range missiles. It is most likely that most owners will also mount these even though also optional.
The original Asheville class mounted only a surface search radar system. The Defiant class replaces with an air search radar system with a range of up to around one hundred miles. While relatively short ranged compared to many larger air search radars, it still gives some measure of being able to track airborne targets including incoming missiles. There is also a radar warning receiver to track targeting radar systems. For defense against missiles, there is the option to mount a chaff and flare system. It is unlikely that any of the vessels, if operated by the Coalition, will mount this self defense system. There is no soar system fitted to these boats as standard although there is a depth sensor. These boats often operate in extremely shallow water and there is a high likelihood of running aground otherwise. Crews may also chose to mount a small towing sonar similar to what is carried on some helicopters.
These boats are designed to be operated by a small crew. Standard crew is twenty-four with three officers. As with most relatively small boats, these boats are quite cramped. Even the officer's quarters are quite cramped with the captain's cabin being not much more than a large closet in size. These boats also lack the automation which many more advanced vessels would carry. In addition, the boat can carry up to a dozen troops. More common will likely be four troops with flying power armors. There is no space for more than around four power armors to be embarked.
Model Type: PGM V "Defiant" class Patrol Gunboat
Vehicle Type: Ocean & Waterway, Patrol Gunboat
Crew: Twenty-Four (24); 3 Officers, 4 Petty Officers, and 17 Enlisted
Troops / Passengers: Maximum of twelve (12) - Extremely cramped.
Robots, Power Armors, and Vehicles:
|4||Flying Power Armors (Maximum - Flying Titan, SAMAS, Predator, etc)|
M.D.C. by location:
|Bridge / Pilot House:||280|
| Spotlight (4):||20 each|
|Mk 75 Three inch (76-mm) / 62-cal Mounts (1, Forward):||180|
|30 mm Bushmaster II Auto-Cannon Mount (1, Aft):||80|
|M2HB 12.7 mm (.50 cal) Twin Mounts (2, Sides):||60 each|
|Long Range Missile Canisters (Optional - 4 Total, Aft):||100 each|
|Short Range Missile Box Launchers (Optional - Superstructure):||60|
| Chaff Launcher (Optional - 2, Sides of Superstructure):||10 each|
| Long Range Radar Array:||60|
| Main Body:||680|
 These are small and difficult targets to strike, requiring the attacker to make a "called shot," but even then the attacker is -4 to strike.
 If radar is destroyed, all long range tracking ability is lost. There is no backup tracking system on the weapon mount themselves.
 Destroying the main body causes the vessel to lose structural integrity, causing the vessel to sink. There are enough life preservers and inflatable life boats to accommodate everyone on the boat.
Surface: On Diesels: 20.73 mph (18 knots/ 33.36 kph). On Gas Turbine: 48.94 mph (42.5 knots/ 78.76 kph)
Range: 2,303.1 miles (2,000 nautical miles / 3,706.5 kilometers) at normal cruising speeds. Vessel carries about two week of supplies on board.
Length: 168.50 feet (51.36 meters) overall
Draft: 9.75 feet (2.97 meters) fully loaded
Width: 25.50 feet (7.77 meters)
Displacement: 245 tons standard and 285 tons fully loaded
Cargo: 10 tons (9.07 metric tons) of nonessential equipment and supplies. Each enlisted crew member has a small locker for personal items and uniforms. Officers have more space but still extremely cramped. Most of the vessel's spaces are taken up by extra ammo, armor, troops, weapons, and engines.
Power System: Conventional, Combined Diesel (Twin Diesel - 1,000 hp each for 2,000 hp) and Gas Turbine (One Gas Turbine - 20,000 hp.)
Black Market Cost: When available will probably cost 80 million credits with no long range or short range missile launchers. Long Range missile canisters cost an addition five million credits for the four canisters. Short range missile launchers cost an additional one million credits.
- One (1) Mk 75 Three inch (76-mm) 62 Caliber Naval Gun: The ship mounts a rapid fire three inch gun on the front of the vessel The gun is very reliable and fires very rapidly (About 85 rounds per minute). The main weaknesses of the gun are its relatively short range and the fact it cannot use rocket assisted projectiles. The gun was carried on many ship classes around the world until well into the twenty first century. The guns can be used against other ships, ground targets, aircraft, and even missiles. These guns were among the smallest that could use a proximity fuse for their warheads.
- One (1) 30 Millimeter Bushmaster II Auto-Cannons: Replacing the original 40 mm mount, a single 30 mm auto-cannon is mounted on the fantail of the boat. There is also a shield to give protection to the gunner controlling the weapon system. The crew needs to be outside the boat's hull and superstructure to operate the guns. The mount has a total of 1,200 rounds of ammunition. The 30 mm cannon fires heavy ramjet rounds with armor piercing warheads which inflict as much damage as most heavy rail guns.
- Two (2) Twin M2HB 12.7 Millimeter Machine Guns: On either side of the boat's superstructure are twin machine gun mounts. There is also a shield to give protection to the gunner controlling the weapon system. The crew needs to be outside the boat's hull and superstructure to operate the guns. Weapon fires Wellington WI-20 Heavy Ramjet ammunition for greater damage and penetration. Many crews will likely replace these with automatic grenade launchers or heavy rail guns for greater damage.
- Four (4) Long Range Missile Canister Launchers (Optional): Mounted on the stern of the vessel, these missile tubes give the boat some long range strike ability. These canisters were copied from Old United States Harpoon canister launchers. While the launchers are reusable, they are still inexpensive and are easily jettisoned if damages. While any long range missile type can be carried, usually special surface skimming missiles will be carried in launchers and are used against surface targets only.
- One (1) Short Range Missile Box Launcher (Optional): Similar to the old Pre-Rift RAM missile launcher although smaller, this acts as in close missile defense. Launcher is mounted above the bridge on the superstructure. This missile mounts main purpose is for inner anti-missile point defense and was originally designed to deal with cruise missiles. Short Range Missiles are usually a mixture of 50% Armor Piercing and 50% Plasma. Launchers can lock onto multiple targets at the same. The systems missile launchers can target up six targets and can fire a volley up to twice per melee.
- Two (2) Chaff Launcher (Optional): Coalition vessels do not mount this self defense system. Located on the superstructure of the boat, they are designed to confuse incoming missiles. Both launchers must be operated or effects will be reduced. Reduce effects of launchers by 50% per launcher not used. Rifts Earth decoy systems are assumed to not operate on Phase World missiles due to technological difference. Reduce effects by 20% against smart missiles (Add +20% to rolls for smart missiles.)
Maximum Effective Range: 4.9 miles (4.3 nautical miles/8.0 km) for standard projectiles
Mega-Damage: High Explosive: 1D4x10 M.D.C. with 10 ft (3 m) blast radius per single shot and 3D4x10 M.D.C. with 20 ft (6.1 m) blast radius for three round burst. High Explosive Armor Piercing: 1D6x10 M.D.C. with 4 ft (1.2 m) blast radius per single shot and 3D6x10 M.D.C. with 8 ft blast radius for three round burst. Plasma: 2D4x10 M.D.C. with 12 ft (3.7 m) blast radius per single shot and 6D4x10 M.D.C. with 25 ft (7.6 m) blast radius for three round burst.
Rate of Fire: Equal to Gunners Hand to Hand (Three round bursts count as one attack).
Payload: 200 rounds. Ship normally carries usually carries 75 High Explosive, 75 High Explosive Armor Piercing, and 50 Plasma.
Maximum Effective Range: 6,000 feet (1,830 meters).
Mega-Damage: A burst is 20 rounds and inflicts 2D6x10. A single round does 3D6 M.D.
Rate of Fire: Equal to combined hand to hand attacks of gunner (usually 4 or 5).
Payload: 1,200 rounds (60 bursts) for mount.
Maximum Effective Range: 3,000 feet (914.4 meters)
Mega Damage: Single shot inflicts 1D4 and 40 round burst inflicts 5D6. Both barrels on a mount can be fire linked together to fire both weapons to inflict 1D6x10 (40 round burst from each)
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined hand to hand attacks of the gunner (usually 4 or 5).
Payload: 40,000 rounds total, 10,000 rounds per gun (250 bursts each) / 20,000 per mount.
Maximum Effective Range: As per long range missile type (Surface skimming missiles have 25% less range than normal long range missile, Go to revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: As per long range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2) or four (4 - All launcher operates together)
Payload: One (1) missile each launcher for a grand total of four (4) long range missiles (Has no missiles in storage for reloads).
Note: SAM style missiles are missiles that sacrifice payload for higher speeds, see Chris Curtis' modified missile table for specifics.
Maximum Effective Range: As per short range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: As per short range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), or six (6) missiles and can be used up to twice per melee.
Payload: Twelve (12) short range missiles.
Range: Around Ship
Mega Damage: None
- 01-35 - Enemy missile or missile volley detonates in chaff cloud - Missiles are all destroyed.
36-60 - Enemy missile or missile volley loses track of real target and veers away in wrong direction (May lock onto another target.)
61-00 - No effect, enemy missile or missile volley is still on target.
- Nightvision Optics: Range: 2,000 feet (609 meters). Uses light amplification to make a picture. Emits no light but will not work in absolute darkness. System can be dazzled by sudden bright lights but does not physically blind the pilot.
- Thermo-Imager: Range: 2,000 feet (609 meters). Finds the infra-red radiations of things that are warm. Also enables pilot to see in smoke, shadows and darkness.
- Radar (Long Range): Long range air search radar system. Radar system has a range of 86.8 nautical miles (100 miles / 160.1 km) range and can track up to 96 different targets.
- E.S.M.: The system can detect another radar system at 125% of the range of the transmitting radar.
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2011, Kitsune. All rights reserved.