Golden Age Weaponsmiths Virginia class Submarines:
Because the Sea Wolf class of submarines was too expensive, an alternate submarine design was proposed to replace existing submarines. This class was designed to be much less expensive and to be smaller than the Sea Wolf but still gained much from the Sea Wolf design. The class was originally designated NSSN, then the name was designated as the centurion class, and when the class was finally laid down it was finalized as the Virginia class. In service, the entire class had been replaced by newer submarine classes but a small number were still in the yards and had not been scrapped yet. These submarines were found by Golden Age Weaponsmiths and were refitted for sale. A total of five submarines have been refitted with the Coalition purchasing four of them and another party purchasing the fifth (In game terms, probably Free Quebec or Columbia)
The four subs serving are the SSN-1 Shark (originally SSN-795 USS Maryland), SSN-2 Hammerhead (Originally SSN-782 USS North Dakota), SSN-4 Manta-Ray (Originally SSN-801 USS Montana), and SSN-6 Skull Fish (Originally SSN-775 USS Texas). The sub class is quieter than the previous Los Angeles / Thresher class and is about equal to the Sea Wolf class. While the present plan is to replace all Shark class submarines with Orca class but with the problems that they are having with the Orca design, this might be longer than expected Author Note: The Author suggests that this writeup is used in place of the writeup done by Palladium Books in the Coalition Navy due to being more complete and being based on better research and a better general knowledge of the United States Navy by the author.
Like the previous Sea Wolf design, this submarine class was first designed on a computer. This has the effect that the Virginia class is more space efficient than the previous Los Angeles class. The sensors are virtually the same as those on the Sea Wolf class except that in some cases the systems had to be miniaturized. Other than Triax and New Navy sensor systems, the Virginia class has some of the best sonar systems on Rifts Earth even though they are relatively old systems. When the technological bases were destroyed with the coming of the Rifts, sensor systems were much harder hit than weapon systems. As a result, the Coalition is far behind in sensors the United States military just before the coming of the Rifts. Many of the sonar systems from the Sea Wolf and Virginia classes were just transplanted to the Orca class. The real item of concern was the damage that modern weapons, even very small ones, can inflict so the boat's hull was fitted with high strength ceramic and plastic armors. Due to the fact that the Virginia class submarines are protected by the materials but not replaced by them, the submarine's maximum depth is not increased. The submarine's maximum depth is actually less than that of the Los Angeles class and the submarine is slightly slower than the Los Angeles class. The submarine carried a large fission reactor, this was replaced by a fusion reactor that is more efficient, safer, and is easier to refuel. For weapon systems, the submarine goes back to the same system that the Los Angeles class carried and has four torpedo tubes and twelve missile tubes in the bow of the submarine.
Like all submarines, the Virginia class is very cramped and the ship only has very tiny staterooms shared by multiple officers and enlisted don't actually have enough bunks for the entire crew and have to hot bunk. This mean that multiple crew members will use the same bunk at different times. The submarine has more automation which does reduce crew requirements. The submarine has a small amount of space devoted for special forces teams such as seals but when carried the submarine is even more cramped.
Model Type: Modified SSN-774 Class
Class: Fast Attack Submarine
Crew: 134 total; 12 officers, 12 chief petty officer, 110 enlisted.
M.D.C. by Location:
|Torpedo Tubes (4 - Bow of submarine):||50 each|
|VLS Cruise Missile Launchers (12, Bow of Submarine):||25 each|
| Bow Planes (2):||100 each|
| Pump Jet Propulsor (1):||200|
| Main Body:||1,050|
 Destroying the submarines bow planes will reduce the submarine's ability to change depths but will not eliminate it. It also makes it difficult for the submarine's crew to control the submarine giving a penalty of -25% to all piloting rolls.
 Destroying the submarine's Pump Jet Propulsor causes serious problem. The submarine will no longer be able to use forward momentum and the bow planes to keep the submarine level. It is recommended that ballast takes are immediately blown so submarine comes to surface.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body destroys the submarine's structural integrity, causing it to sink. If the submarine is underwater, the entire crew will die unless protected by environmental armors that can withstand the pressure that the submarine is under. If on the surface, there are enough flotation devices and inflatable life rafts to accommodate everyone aboard.
Surface: 23 mph (20 knots/ 37 kph)
Underwater: 34.5 mph (30 knots /55.6 mph)
Maximum Depth: 1,200 feet (365.8 meters)
Maximum Effective Range: Effectively Unlimited due to fusion engines (needs to refuel every 20 years and requires maintenance as well). Ship carries 6 months of supplies on board.
Draft: 30.5 feet (9.3 meters)
Width: 34 feet (10.4 meters)
Length: 377 feet (114.9 meters)
Displacement: 6,500 tons standard and 7,700 tons submerged
Cargo: Submarine is very cramped, 10 tons of nonessential equipment and supplies. Each enlisted crew member has a small locker for personal items and uniforms. Ships officers have more space for personal items. Most of the ship's spaces are taken up by extra torpedoes, weapons, and engines.
Power System: Originally one pressurized-water S9G, converted to more modern fusion reactor system (20 year duration).
Black Market Price: Not Available but it is rumored that they sold the submarines to the Coalition for a cost of 500 million credits each.
- Four (4) Heavy Torpedo Tubes: On the bow of the submarine are four torpedo tubes. Tubes are 21 inches (533 mm) wide and torpedoes can be used against both surface ships and submarines. For warheads, heavy torpedoes should be treated as having long range missile warheads. Along with standard torpedoes, the launcher can also fire missiles (long or cruise) in special canisters and rocket boosted ASW torpedoes. Submarine carries 32 reloads for torpedoes and can carry up to 72 mines in place of torpedoes.
- Twelve (12) Vertical Launch Cruise Missile Launchers (MK 45 VLS): In the front of the submarine but behind the torpedo tubes, the submarine has VLS for launching missiles. Missiles are launched in special canisters that enable the missiles to be used in depths down to 300 feet. Most missiles normally carried are fusion (Also smart missiles). The launchers were originally designed to carry Tomahawk missiles but were modified to fire all standard cruise range missiles.
- Decoys (14): The submarine carries fourteen decoy drones. They are small automated vehicles that create a false sonar image designed to mimic the submarine's sonar signature. It has a small propulsion system that can simulate movement (has a top speed of 10 knots) and maneuvers. If decoys are not destroyed, they can be recovered and repaired. Rifts Earth decoy systems are assumed to not operate against Phase World weapons due to technological difference.
- Noisemakers: The submarine carries noisemakers to decoy torpedoes. The noisemakers are launched from the middle of the submarine.
Maximum Effective Range: 40 miles (64 km)
Mega Damage: By Heavy torpedo warhead type (See Revised Rifts Torpedoes), can fire missiles (Long Range or Cruise) in special canisters as well (Go to Revised bomb and missile table).
Rate of Fire: One at a time or in volleys of 2, 3, or 4. Reloading takes 1 full melee
Payload: 4 Total (Has 38 torpedoes for reloads)
Maximum Effective Range: As per cruise missile type (Go to Revised bomb and missile table), can fire missiles in special canisters as well.
Mega Damage: As per cruise missile type (Go to Revised bomb and missile table), can fire missiles in special canisters as well.
Rate of Fire: One at a time or in volleys of 2, 4, 8, or 12 and can be fired at multiple target at the same time.
Payload: 12 cruise missiles total. Submarine carries no reloads
Effects: The decoy has an 65% chance of fooling ordinary non military sonars and non smart guided torpedoes, the decoy has a 35% chance of fooling military level sonars (like those of the Coalition), and the decoy has a 10% chance of fooling advanced military sonars (Like those of the New Navy and Triax) and smart torpedoes.
Decoys have a duration of 30 minutes (120 melee rounds)
Maximum Effective Range: Not Applicable
Rate of Fire: Ship can launch one drone per melee.
Payload: 14 Decoys
Effect: 50% of decoying normal torpedoes and 20% of decoying smart torpedoes.
Rate of Fire: 2 at a time (Can be reloaded in one melee)
Payload: 20 Noisemakers.
The submarine has all systems standard on a robot vehicle plus the following special features::
- Extended Life Support: This submarine has an enhanced like support system when compared to most other vehicles because it is designed to operate underwater for extended periods of time. The submarine has an incredible air recycling system that allows the crew to recycle air for five months before the atmosphere is too stale to breathe. The submarine also has a 96 hour supply of oxygen to support the recycling system.
- BSY-2 Hull Sonar System and BQG-5 Wide Aperture Array: Sonar system has a range of around 45 nautical miles (51.8 miles / 83.3 km). This hull sonar system has both a passive and active system built in. Sonar system can track up to 16 targets at one time and have a +10% to read sensor and weapon system skill rolls.
- TB-12X Towed Array Sonar: The system is basically a long and very sensitive sonar system carried behind the submarine on a long cable. Sonar system has a range of around 105 nautical miles (120.8 miles/194.5 km). This towed array Sonar is a passive only sensor system. Sonar system can track up to 32 targets at one time.
- ESM: This system is mounted in mounted in the superstructure and is extended in a similar manner to a periscope. The antenna is very hard to detect both visually and by radar. Can detect another radar system at 125% of the range of the transmitting radar.
- Quieted propulsion and Anechoic Coating: The ship is designed with a very quiet pump jet propulsor design, the submarine's reactors make very little noise, and the boat is coated by a sonar defeating rubber coating. The submarine is -40% to detect when traveling at less that 20 knots and is at -20% to detect when traveling at speeds greater than that.
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, and Xiticix TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 1998, 1999, & 2001 Kitsune. All rights reserved.