Metalworks Incorporated M-250-HMBT "Typhoon" class Hover Tank:
With the popularity of the "Zephyr" class hover troop transport, Metalworks has decided to increase the number of hovercraft designs which they produce. One of the first designs which was discussed was a hover tank. The designers wanted a vehicle which could travel at high speeds, have heavy firepower, and have the ability to travel over a wide variety of terrains including water, swamp, and deep snow. It is believed that Metalworks examined American Pre-Rifts hover tank designs but they were ultimately discarded due to the costs involved. The ultimate design for the hover tank was also developed so that it uses many of the same components which "Zephyr" class Infantry Fighting Vehicle to reduce construction costs. Two prototypes have been produced and the two prototypes have been extensively tested including a variety of combat tests. The testing of the design was done far away from Coalition forces so that the testing was not interrupted like several other prototype testing have been. The design has not yet entered production yet several interested have already made inquiries. One of the interested companies seem to be producing high speed assault force. It is well known Metalworks sells some Naruni products but the Typhoon hover tank is suppose to be more affordable than the Naruni hover tank designs while still having heavy firepower. The design of the Typhoon is suppose to be simpler than the Alien design and easier to repair and perform maintenance.
One of the prototype Typhoon hover tanks is powered by a fusion reactor system while the second prototype is powered by a fuel cell system. The eventual plan is for an electrically powered version and a conventionally powered version which uses a gas turbine engine. The Typhoon is about 50 percent heavier than the Zephyr but a larger engine is mounted to maintain the same top speed. Two medium power armor fusion reactors are used in the nuclear powered version. The technology for the fuel cell design was purchased from Archangel Heavy Industries who got the designs of fuel cells from pre-rifts records. The fuel cells operate by pulling the electrons off of an H2 molecule, splitting it into 2H+ molecules and 2 electrons. The electrons pass through the "load" (engines, weapons, avionics, etc.) creating current and powering the systems. Meanwhile, the 2H+ molecules pass from the anode to the cathode through the electrolyte. At the other "end", the electrons then recombine with the 2H+ molecules and Oxygen (from the air) and are release as water from the rear of the hovercraft. Range on conventionally powered versions and electrically powered versions is expected to be slightly less than the fuel cell powered version. Top speed on all version is around 150 mph. The hovercraft can clear obstacles of up to twenty feet but normally hovers at around 5 feet above the ground. Sensors carried are comparable to those carried on the Zephyr and the vehicle is completely environmental to protect the crew of three. Unlike many other Post Rifts designs, the compartment does not have space for additional crew members. The hover tank carries heavy armor and can take a huge amount of abuse for a hover design and has a slightly lower profile than the Zephyr.
The main weapon of the hover tank is an 80 mm hyper velocity rail gun. This weapon was first mounted on Iron Armory's M1A12 Abrams tank and it seemed to be more evidence that Metalworks and Iron Armory are in reality the same company. Ammunition carried on the hover tank is fifty rounds compared to eighty on the M1A12 Abrams tank. Power to fire the main cannon is pulled from the fusion reactor on the fusion powered version or is powered by an additional fuel cell system in the fuel cell powered version. The conventionally powered version and battery powered versions will mount a separate battery for the weapon. Mounted coaxial to the 80 mm high velocity rail gun is a Vulcan laser cannon carried on the Zephyr along with several other designs. The laser cannon is a copy of the IH-44L Vulcan Laser carried on the Iron Hammer which was produced by Iron Heart Armament. The laser is powered by the fusion reactor from the fusion powered version but has an independent power system in other versions. Mounted in the from of the hover tank are two light ion cannons. These weapons are controlled by the driver and are powered in a similar manner to the coaxial Vulcan laser. Mounted on the sides of the hull are medium range missile launchers and on the front of the hover tank are mini-missile launchers. Both types of missile launchers, along with the nose mounted ion cannons, are identical to those carried on the Zephyr hover troop transport.
Model Type: M.I. M-250-HMBT Typhoon
Vehicle Type: Hover Tank
Crew: Three (Pilot, Gunner, and Commander).
M.D.C. By Location:
|High Velocity 80 mm Rail gun:||125|
|Vulcan Laser Cannon:||75|
| Forward Laser Mounts (2):||40 each|
|Side Medium Range Missile Launchers (2, 3 cells each):||50 each|
| Mini-Missile Launchers (2, sides of cockpit):||30 each|
| Headlights (4):||8 each|
| Hover Thruster Units:||250|
| Main Body:||650|
 These are small and difficult targets to strike, requiring the attacker to make a "called shot;' but even then the attacker is -4 to strike.
 Destruction of the hover unit will cause the vehicle to be no longer under the pilots control.
 Destruction of the main body will cause the vehicle to crash. All systems, including emergency parachute, will not function.
Hover Speed: Can hover at ground level at from a hover to up to 150 mph (241.4 kph) over both land and water. Minimum hover height is 2 feet (0.6 meters) and maximum altitude is 20 feet (6.1 meters).
Maximum Range: With gas or electric, 800 miles (1,288 km), with fuel cells, 1000 miles (1,610 km), and with fusion, effectively unlimited (15 year duration)
Height: 10 feet (3.0 meters) including turret, 8.5 feet (2.6 meters) not including turret
Width: 16 feet (4.9 meters)
Length: Main Body: 29.5 feet (9.0 meters) and with Gun Forward: 34.5 feet (10.5 meters)
Weight: 65 tons (59 metric tons) fully loaded
Power Source: Four versions. Nuclear with 15 year fusion reactor, Electric, Conventional liquid fuel that uses aviation gas, and Fuel cell version that uses Hydrogen as a fuel to produce electricity.
Cargo Capacity: The hover tank has a small storage space for crew. This includes weapons, armors, and emergency supplies.
Market / Black Market Cost: 6.5 million credits with Internal Combustion engine, 10.2 million with Electrical engine or fuel cell power system, and 38.5 million for fusion with a 15 year life.
- High Velocity 80 mm Heavy Rail Gun: The turret can rotate 360 degrees and the barrel can angle up to 45 degrees. The weapon system is gyro-stabilized and has an advanced fire control computer. The special fire control computer gives a bonus of +2 to strike. The Weapon mount is useful for direct fire and artillery style fire. The rail gun normally fires a solid dart of ultra dense high strength materials that does massive damage to targets that it hits but can also use explosive warheads. Loading system of the gun is completely automated.
- MI-44L Vulcan Laser (1): This is a direct copy of the Iron Heart cannon and is quite powerful although much shorter range than the main cannon. This weapon is mounted beside the 80 mm rail gun and is operated by the driver or the tank commander. The weapon consists of six rotating laser cannons, cycling through bursts of six blasts per second.
- Twin Ion Cannons: These ion cannons are fairly powerful but have a moderate range and are based on standard energy rifles. They can be fired together to inflict greater damage. These light ion cannons are mounted on the nose of the Typhoon in front of the cockpit.
- Medium-Range Missile Launchers (2): Two side-mounted missile launchers add to the Typhoon's main armaments. Each has three actual launch tubes. Both launchers are usually controlled by a gunner, but can be fired by the driver or tank commander if the gunner is injured. They are usually outfitted with High-Explosive, Fragmentary or Plasma missiles. The launchers can engage air and ground targets. This tank uses an automatic loading system and additional missiles for reloads.
- Mini-Missile Launchers (2): The missile launcher systems are side by side in the nose of the hovercraft on either side of the cockpit. Both launchers hold 24 mini-missiles for 48 total.
Maximum Effective Range: 3 miles (4.83 km) for direct fire and 7.5 miles (12 km) for indirect fire.
Mega Damage: A single round inflicts 4D6x10+20 (optional rule is that cannon gets a critical on a natural 18, 19, or 20 due to its high penetration). Can use High Explosive rounds that do 1D4x10 with a blast radius of 20 ft. High Explosive Anti Tank does 1D6x10 with a blast radius of 10 ft.
Rate of Fire:Maximum of four per melee.
Payload: 50 rounds (fuel cell for cannon must be replaced every 100 rounds and battery for conventionally and electrically powered version must be recharged every 200 rounds).
Bonuses: Has a special fire control computer that helps to aim the cannon. Gives +2 to strike with rail gun and vehicle does not have minuses to fire when hover tank is moving.
Maximum Effective Range: 4,000 feet (1,200 meters)
Mega-Damage: 3D4 x 10 M.D. per instantaneous burst (counts as one blast/attack).
Rate of Fire: Can shoot up to six times per melee!
Payload: Nuclear Reactor: Effectively Unlimited (Draws Power off the main engines). Electric or Conventional Fuel: Battery is good for 500 bursts. Fuel Cell Version: 200 bursts total. It takes approximately two minutes for a trained crew to change the hydrogen tank that powers the weapon, assuming that a spare tank is available. Untrained crews will take about six minutes to accomplish this task.
Maximum Effective Range: 2,000 feet (609.6 meters)
Mega-Damage: One ion cannons: 2D6 per single blast and 6D6 per triple. Both ion cannons: 4D6 per double blast and 1D6x10+6 per six shot blast.
Rate of Fire: Equal to number of combined hand to hand attacks (usually 4-6).
Payload: Nuclear Reactor: Effectively unlimited. Other versions: 200 shots (bursts use 2, 3 or 6 shots)
Maximum Effective Range: Varies with missile types, medium range missiles only (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega-Damage: Varies with missile types, medium range missiles only (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), or six (6) missiles.
Payload: 24 missiles, 12 in each launcher.
Maximum Effective Range: Varies with mini missile types (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega-Damage: Varies with mini missile types (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), eight (8), or twelve (12) missiles. Can be fired equal to the pilots combined hand to hand (usually 5 or 6).
Payload: 24 Mini-Missiles each launcher for a total of 48 mini-missiles.
- Radio/ Video Communications: Long range, directional, has a range of 500 miles with short range directional radio of 5 miles.
- Laser Targeting System: Range is 2 miles and gives +1 to strike with long range weapons. Not applicable to hand to hand
- Combat Computer/ Targeting Computer: Assist in the tracking of targets.
- Radar: 50 miles, can identify 96 targets and track 48 as low as 500 ft. Same as robots Maxi-Radar.
- Full Life Support: Protects pilots and hovercraft from heat and radiation and gives a breathable atmosphere inside the I.F.V. for up 48 hours in vacuum and 3 weeks with scrubbers.
- Spotlight: Range: 600 feet (182.9 meters)
- Thermo-Imager: Range: 2,000 ft (609 m). Finds the infra-red radiations of things that are warm. Also enables pilot to see in smoke, shadows and darkness.
- Nightvision Optics: Range: 2,000 ft (609 m). Uses light amplification to make a picture. Emits no light but will not work in absolute darkness. System can be dazzled by sudden bright lights but does not physically blind the pilot.
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Image drawn and copyrighted by "RyujinDX".
More "RyujinDX" artwork at DeviantArt
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2003 & 2011, Kitsune. All rights reserved.