Minuteman B-2100 Supersonic Bomber:
The Lockheed L-2100 was a late Twenty-First Century Airliner. With the coming of high performance fusion turbine engines, there was a rebirth of interest in supersonic civilian aircraft designs. One of these was the Lockheed L-2100. It was the first on the market and produced in relatively large numbers. A surprising number of these aircraft survived the coming of the Rifts. Their rugged construction from high strength composites and alloys made them surprisingly survivable.
With the coming of the Rifts, the world became a much more threatening. While some of this is supernatural creatures, which are no real threat to supersonic airliners, high performance fighters ended up in the hands of those interested in carving their own place at the expense of others. As a result, many surviving airliners began carrying improvised weaponry for self defense purposes. In some cases, this is just a couple of light laser turrets but in other cases this includes missiles as well.
As might be expected, some of those civilian designs were converted to military roles. There was a proposal in the middle to later part of the Twentieth Century, long before the coming of the Rifts, to convert a large airliner, the Boeing 747, to carry missiles instead of cargo or passengers. It was considered after the B-1 bomber had been canceled as a replacement for the aging B-52 Bomber. At the time, it was decided that new aircraft designs would incorporate stealth and the idea was not fully developed at that time. Still after the coming of the Rifts, the concept was reborn.
One of those aircraft best for such a conversion was the Lockheed L-2100 airliner. Being extremely fast, capable of speeds over Mach 2, it can outrun many fighters and is extremely maneuverable. The speed of the converted transport allows it escape from an engagement area before fighters can even be scrambled. Its only real weakness is that it has limited cargo carrying ability which limits the number of missiles it can carry compared to other airliners.
Several different conversions of civilian airliners are available including from Golden Age Weaponsmiths. The Minuteman conversion, which is available for several other airline designs, is one of the most extensive and effective conversions. The main conversion of the airliner is to gut the passenger compartments and replace it with rotary missile launchers. The Minuteman B-2100, the conversion of the L-2100, can carry up to sixty long range missiles. Missiles are launched from the sides of what was the passenger compartments. As well, it has light weaponry for self defense including a pair of pulse laser turrets and a pair of medium range missile launchers with a payload of twenty-four medium range missiles each. As well, the electronics are upgraded including the addition of long range radar systems. Those which did not have mounted self defense system have those added as well. The hull of the airliner as well as engines are unmodified although the converted airliner can still survive a surprising amount of damage.
As might be expected, these converted airliners are considered extremely threatening by the Coalition. In most cases, the Coalition Military will open fire without warning the aircraft. The policy is identical to their treatment of the Iron Heart Air Castle Bomber. Unfortunately, in some cases the Coalition has shot down L-2100 airliners before identifying them as unarmed civilian aircraft. These conversions are operated by a number of mercenary companies and are considered extremely dangerous.
Model Type: Minuteman B-2100
Class: Supersonic Bomber (Converted Supersonic Passenger Airliner)
Crew: Five (Pilot, Co-Pilot, Weapon Master, and Two Gunners
M.D.C. by Location:
|Long Range Missile Launcher Doors (2, sides):||100 each|
|Retractable Medium Range Missile Launchers (2):||80 each|
|Pulse Laser Turrets (2):||60 each|
| Wings (2):||320 each|
| Elevators (2):||80 each|
| Rudders (1):||80|
|Side Doors (2):||50 each|
| Engines (4):||200 each|
|Reinforced Pilot's Compartment / Cockpit:||200|
| Main Body:||825|
|Landing Gear (3):||40 each|
 Destroying a Wing will cause the plane to crash.
 Destruction of rudder or one elevator will still allow the aircraft to be controlled by the varying of power levels of the engines but aircraft has a penalty of -10 to dodge, and a -30% penalty to all piloting rolls. Destruction of both of the elevators will leave the plane uncontrollable. The destruction of one engine will reduce the aircraft's top speed by one quarter and give the pilot a -1 penalty to dodge as well as giving a 10% penalty to piloting. Each destroyed engine causes cumulative effects. Destruction of four engines will cause the aircraft to crash.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body will shut the Aircraft down completely, rendering it useless and causing it to crash if in flight.
Driving on Ground (Taxiing): Only possible for take offs and landings as well as for parking and storage. Speed is 40 mph (64 kph) when traveling and not on take off or landing.
Flight: The B-2100 Supersonic Bomber has a top speed of Mach 2.8 (2,076.1 mph / 3,341.1 kph) with a normal cruise speed of Mach 2.5 (1650 mph / 2655.4 kph.) Maximum altitude is 80,000 feet (24,384 meters.) The L-2100 requires a full runway.
Range: Due to Fusion engine effectively unlimited range, need to cool down after 12 hours of flight at maximum speed. At cruising speed, range is increased to 16 hours of flight.
Length: 280.51 feet (85.5 meters)
Wingspan: 119.42 feet (36.4 meters)
Height: 51.51 feet (15.7 meters)
Weight: 192 tons (174.2 metric tons) fully loaded, 140 tons (127.0 metric tons) empty
Power Source: Nuclear, Should have an average life span of 20 years.
Cargo: Minimal (Storage for equipment for the bomber crew). Does not include ordnance bay. Ordnance bay, of emptied of ordnance can carry up to 40 tons (36.3 metric tons) of cargo.
Black Market Cost: 180 million credits
- High-Powered Laser Turrets (2): The bomber mounts two of these turrets with one behind the medium range launchers on the top of the bomber with the other under the fuselage near the tail of the bomber. This weapon system is a relatively simple adaption of the laser elements of the JA-12 Juicer Assault Rifle mounted into turrets. In addition to being retractable, the turrets have the ability to rotate 360 degrees and have a 90 degree arc of fire. The laser cannons pull power directly from the fusion reactor of the aircraft. The turrets are both radar and infrared guided and has a +4 to hit when set to automatic firing and uses bonuses of gunner when fired on manual. Primary target for defense laser systems is missiles which is considered to be one of the biggest threats. When controlled manually, weapon mounts are usually controlled by the two secondary crew members.
- Long Range Missile Launchers: These launchers are on either side or the converted airliner with missiles being carried in the converted passenger compartment. The launcher can use a vast variety of missiles including surface skimming missiles and rocket propelled torpedoes. Long range missiles are normally used against large targets and aircraft / missiles. About half of all missiles carried are fusion warheads and most missiles are normally smart missiles.
- Medium Range Missile Launchers (2): Mounted in retractable launchers on either side of the bomber just behind the cockpit. The launchers only extend when about to be fired and are virtually concealed when not in firing mode and do not produce drag when fully retracted. Each launcher has two ready to fire missiles. The launchers are reloaded from a magazine by an automatic reload system within the bomber's body. Weapon can be controlled by any of the bomber's crew although most commonly controlled by the pilot or co-pilot.
- Anti-Missile Chaff Dispenser: Located at the very tail of the aircraft are two chaff dispensers. When tailed by a missile, a cloud of chaff and other obtrusive particles can be released to confuse or detonate the enemy's attack. Rifts Earth decoys systems are assumed to not operate against Phase World missiles due to technological difference. Reduce effects by 20% against smart missiles (Add +20% to rolls for smart missiles.)
Maximum Effective Range: 4,000 feet (1,200 meters).
Mega Damage: 4D6 for single shot and 1D6x10+10 for three round burst from cannon.
Rate of Fire:Equal to gunner's hand to hand (When Automated, can fire up to 6 times per melee and has +4 to strike)
Payload: Unlimited (Draws Power off the main engines).
Maximum Effective Range: As per long range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: As per long range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire long range missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), eight (8), or ten (10) long range missiles per launcher per melee. Missile cells are automatically reloaded and are ready to fire next melee.
Payload: 60 Long Range Missiles Total.
Maximum Effective Range: Varies with medium range missile type; Usually plasma or armor piercing are carried (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: Varies with medium range missile type; Usually plasma or armor piercing are carried (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time, or in volleys of two (2) or four (4) missiles.
Payload: Twenty-Four (24) missiles in magazine for each launcher plus two in each of the launchers.
- 01-50 Enemy missile or missile volley detonates in chaff cloud - Missiles
are all destroyed.
51-75 Enemy missile or missile volley loses track of real target and veers away in wrong direction (May lock onto another target.)
76-00 No effect, enemy missile or missile volley is still on target.
Payload: Eight (8)
The aircraft has all the standard features of a standard fighter (same as standard robot including loudspeaker and microphone on this aircraft) plus these special features listed..
- Radar System: Range of 500 miles (805 km) and can identify and track up to 96 targets simultaneously. It is also capable of Terrain Following for low altitude flight. With Combat & Targeting Computer, the Lancer can fire missiles at up to twenty four targets at the same time.
- Internal Active Jamming Gear: Causes -25% to detection but when it is active, other vehicles/ bases can detect that it is jamming, and some missiles will home in on jamming signals. Jamming also causes a -4 penalty to all radar guided weapons.
- E.S.M.: Radar Detector, Passively detects other radars being operated.
- FLIR: Forward Looking Infrared. Allows pilot and weapons officer to get visuals on targets at night.
- Laser Navigational System: Allow flight at low altitude without use of Radar. Gives a map of the Terrain.
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2007, Kitsune. All rights reserved.