Northern Gun NG-205B Lightning Bolt Fast Missile Vehicle:
The Lightning Bolt is a product of Northern Gun and like the Sledgehammer Main Battle Tank and Lightning Fist Scout Tank, the Lightning Bolt Fast Missile Vehicle is derived from an Iron Heart Armament combat vehicle design. The design was announced when the Lightning Fist entered production and was highly anticipated. The Lightning Bolt is called a Northern Gun copy of the Iron Bolt that was constructed by Iron Heart Armament but this is only partially accurate. The payloads of the missile launchers were changed and the high speed propulsion carried on the Lightning First are carried and the Lightning Bolt is stated by the marketers at Northern Gun to be far more effective than the Iron Bolt. The vehicle has just entered production but there are already many orders for the vehicle. This is because many militaries and mercenary companies are looking for replacement for loss of missile platforms. Northern Gun also produces repair parts for the Iron Bolt missile vehicle but has reduced production to support the manufacture of the Lightning Bolt.
Like the Iron Bolt, the Lightning Bolt is based on a tank chassis. In the Lightning Bolts case, the missile vehicle is based on the chassis for the Lightning Fist tank. While the Lightning Fist is similar to the Iron First, there are important differences. The Lightning Fist chassis is only available with a nuclear power plant as so is the Lightning Bolt. This is because of the high powered engines require more power than was available with more conventional power sources. An interesting feature of the engines is that they can run up to 200% of normal power for a short period of time. The engines will overheat quickly and then will need a cool down period or the engines will be damaged. The high speed allows the missile platform to disengage much faster than the Iron Bolt would be giving it a much higher survival.
The weapons on the Lightning Bolt are far different from those carried on the Iron Bolt. Some of these modifications were to increase the speed while others were to give a more effective payload. The number of long range missiles was reduced from twelve to ten to reduce the weight of the vehicle. The 120 mini-missiles launchers were replaced by 48 short range missiles. While this is considered by many to be a great reduction in the payload, the longer range of short range missiles makes up for this and in most situations is actually more effective. Short range missiles are also more effective at shooting down other missiles and the Lightning Bolt is a much more effective missile defense platform compared to the Iron Bolt. Like the Torn Bolt, the missile launchers are located is a big block mount that replaces the turret. The launchers have improved safety system and the tubes are designed to blow out the front and back of the mount instead of destroying the whole vehicle. Not all ordnance will explode when hit. In the front of the missile vehicle is a mount that is designed to be able to carry a pulse laser, rail gun, or plasma flamethrower. Because the missile vehicles are designed to engage in long range, the flamethrower is rarely mounted.
Sensors are improved compared to the Iron Bolt and the Lightning Bolt carries the equivalent of a robot vehicle. The commander will often do the job of communication and sensor operator.
Authors Note: Reduced height of the armored vehicle from the height of original Iron Heart Armament design to make them closer to that of modern tanks and armored vehicles. The author recommends reducing the height of Iron Heart Industry's tank and armored vehicle designs as well.
Model Type: NG-205B Missile Vehicle
Class: Mobile Artillery
Crew: Three: driver, gunner, and commander
M.D.C. by Location:
|Multiple Launcher Rocket System||175|
|Modular weapon mount on Front:||75|
|Smoke / Gas Dispensers (2):||15 each|
| Main Body||450|
|Reinforced Crew Compartment (main body):||100|
| Track Treads (2):||90 each|
 Depleting the M.D.C. from the main body will shut the tank down completely, rendering it useless.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of a tread will immobilize the tank until it is replaced: replacing a tread will take 1D6 X 10 minutes by a trained crew (2 replacements are carried aboard) this is only possible are the vehicle is not under attack at the time.
Ground: Maximum cruise is 75 mph (120.7 kph) which can be sustained indefinitely and can travel at a maximum of 110 mph (177 kph) for 2 hours before the engine overheats. The vehicle is designed to traverse virtually all terrain and can climb at up to a 60% grade although at a much slower speed (About 10% of maximum road speed). It can also climb barriers and ford trenches. The vehicle can also handle side slopes of up to 30%.
Buttoned up, it can travel under water at 30 mph (48.3 km).
Maximum Effective Range: Effectively unlimited (10 year lifespan)
Height: 14.5 feet (4.4 meters)
Width: 10 feet (3.0 meters)
Length: 32 feet (9.8 meters)
Weight: 36 tons (32.7 metric tons) fully loaded
Cargo: Minimal storage space; about four feet (1.2 m) for extra clothing, weapons, and personal items. Two Laser Rifles and two hand held Missile Launchers with 5 loads each are stored in a compartment behind the driver's seat.
Power System: Nuclear Only (10 year lifespan)
Black Market Cost: 28 million credits
- LRM-10-Long Range Missile System (1): This box launcher holds two rows of five missiles, which can be fired in any order the gunner chooses. The launcher carries 2 less missiles than the launcher on the Iron Bolt. The launcher can be controlled by the pilot or commander if necessary. Both the long range missile launchers and the short range missile launchers are mounted in a large box type launcher that replaces the turret. The box luncher launcher can rotate 360 degrees and can be raised up to 60 degrees.
- SRM-48 Short Range Missile System (1): Instead of carrying mini-missiles like the Iron Bolt, the Lightning Bolt carries short range missiles. The launcher can be controlled by the pilot or commander if necessary. Both the long range missile launchers and the short range missile launchers are mounted in a large box type launcher that replaces the turret. The box luncher launcher can rotate 360 degrees and can be raised up to 60 degrees.
- Support Weaponry Turret: Originally planned to only carry the NG-202 light rail gun and the pulse laser cannon, the mount was modified so that it could carry a plasma flamethrower to deal with Xiticix and other monsters than need to be dealt with in large numbers. The weapon is located in the front of the tank and the laser cannon and rail gun can engage aerial targets (The Plasma Flamethrower does not have the range).
- Pulse Laser Mount: This weapon is mounted on the front of the tank and can be fired by the driver or the commander. The weapons primary purpose is use against infantry but is effective against missiles and to a lesser extent both aircraft and other armored vehicles.
- NG-202 Rail Gun (1): Like the cannon on the Samson Power Armor, this cannon has been modified for a higher rate of fire. The tank commander the gunner, or the driver can access and use the rail gun. The main advantage of the Rail gun over the pulse laser is against targets which are impervious to energy weapons.
- WI-NFT-1 Napalm P Plasma Flamethrower: While Northern Gun and Wellington Industries are not on the best terms, the need for this weapon system has forced Northern Gun to purchase them to place on the tank. While not effective against aircraft, the wide area the weapon covers is very effective. This weapon fires a stream of liquid which when activated "burns" for a short period of time (1D4 minutes) and inflicts damage during that duration. This is not a convention plasma weapon that heats materials to the point beyond gas and has some interesting properties. Because the canisters for the plasma cannon are well inside of the tank, the damage from explosion are minimal unless the tank is destroyed.
- Smoke/Gas Dispensers (2): A smoke/gas dispensing unit is attached to each side of the armored vehicle. The dispenser releases a dense cloud of smoke that covers a 40 foot (12.2 m) area in front of the vehicle, It can also release tear gas.
Maximum Effective Range: Varies with long range missile type (Go to Revised bomb and missile table).
Mega-Damage: Varies with long range missile type (Go to Revised bomb and missile table).
Rate of Fire: One at a time or in volleys of 2, 3, 4, or 5 missiles.
Payload: 10 long-range missiles. A cargo track can hold additional missiles and a giant robot can reload the main launcher within six minutes (30 seconds per missile); twice as long if not familiar with the loading procedure.
Maximum Effective Range: Varies with short range missile type (Go to Revised bomb and missile table).
Mega-Damage: Varies with short range missile type. Typically armor piercing and plasma are carries (Go to Revised bomb and missile table).
Rate of Fire: One at a time or in volleys of 2, 4, 6 or 8 short range missiles. The Launcher is reloaded from the magazine automatically and has a full payload ready for the next melee round.
Payload: 48 short range missiles.
Maximum Effective Range: 4,000 feet (1,200 meters)
Mega-Damage: 3D6 for single shot and 1D6x10 for three round burst.
Rate of Fire: Equal to gunners hand to hand
Payload: Effectively Unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: 4,000 feet ( 1,200 m)
Mega-Damage: A burst is 60 rounds and inflicts 1D6x10 M.D. One round does 1D4 M.D.
Rate of Fire: Equal to number of combined hand to hand attacks (usually 4-6) of the gunner.
Payload: 12,000 round drum, that's 200 bursts! Up to five drums can be carried by the tank. Reloading the drum takes 15 minutes if done by hand, 5 minutes if done with robots and special equipment.
Maximum Effective Range: 500 feet (152.4 meters)
Mega-Damage: A short plasma burst inflicts 3D6 M.D. A concentrated plasma burst (counts as two attacks; 7 seconds) inflicts 1D4x10 M.D. As an additional option, the plasma weapon can be used to cover a wide area. Up to an area of 10 ft radius can be effected per melee attack. All targets within the area of effect will take 2D6 M.D. and will continue to receive 2D6 M.D. of damage per melee for a period of 1D4 minutes. The plasma fire cannot be extinguishes by water but must use sand or special chemical designed to fight metal fires.
Rate of Fire: Equal to number of combined hand to hand attacks (usually 4-6) of the gunner.
Payload: The armored vehicle has 4 Napalm-P tanks which gives the weapon 400 "shots".
Payload: 20 total; 10 charges each; typically all smoke.
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, and Xiticix TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2000, Kitsune. All rights reserved.