Northern Gun NG-205A Lightning Fist Light Scout Tank:
The Lightning Fist is a product of Northern Gun and like the Sledgehammer Main Battle Tank, the Lightning Fist Tank is derived from an Iron Heart Industries tank design. The Lightning Fist is based off the Iron Fist class tank but is improved in many ways. Along with requests for heavy battle tanks similar to the Iron Hammer, there had been many requests for lighter tanks and Northern Gun had already been producing parts for the Iron First so it was a good place to start. The development of the Lightning Fist was not as quick as the designing of the Sledgehammer because of the need to develop a drive train and power system that could drive the tank at a higher rate of speed. Still, the tank design went to prototype within 150 days. The tank did pass its prototype stage with fewer bugs than the Sledgehammer due to its longer development time. The Lightning Fist is called a light tank by Northern Gun where the Iron Fist was considered a medium tank by Iron Heart Armament. The tank has now entered full production and sales of the tank are above expectations. While the main gun is not as powerful as the cannon on the Sledgehammer, many crews consider the Lightning Fist to be more flexible and effective than its bigger companion. Northern Gun has publicly stated that a missile carrying version of the Lightning Fist. Northern Gun still produces repair parts for the Iron Fist but at a reduced quantity.
Unlike the Iron Fist, the Lightning Fist is only available with a nuclear power plant. This is because of the high powered engines require more power than was available with more conventional power sources. An interesting feature of the engines is that they can run up to 200% of normal power for a short period of time. The engines will overheat quickly and then will need a cool down period or the engines will be damaged.
The armor of the Iron Fist was retained but weapon systems were greatly modified. The engineers at Northern Gun consider that Electro-Thermal cannons are just as effective as Rail Guns when used as large cannons. Because of this, the 120 mm main gun of the tank was replaced by an 90 mm Electro-Thermal cannon. The cannon is both more powerful and has a much longer range. Most of the light weaponry of the tank was replaced by weapon systems that were considered more effective. In the front of the tank, there is a modular weapon mount that is designed for an NG-202 rail gun, plasma flamethrower mount, or a pulse laser cannon. The pulse laser cannon is very popular due too not needing any ammunition. The light gun mount on the turret was replaced by missile launchers giving both a long range punch and the ability to ripple fire mini-missiles at targets. The medium range missile launchers are mounted below the medium range missile launchers and are mounted on the sides of the turret. Launchers are resistant to being exploded as well as being designed to explode outwards so not to damage the turret.
Like all tanks produced by Northern Gun, the Lightning Fist carries all standard sensors of robot vehicles. These systems are more advanced than those carried in the original Iron Fist class medium tank.
Authors Note: Reduced height of tank from the height of original Iron Heart Armament design to make them closer to that of modern tanks. Author recommends reducing the height of Iron Heart Industry's tank designs as well.
Model Type: NG-205A
Class: Light Scout Tank (Considered a fast medium tank by many)
Crew: Three: one driver, a gunner, and a commander. Can accommodate two passengers in a snug area behind the crew.
M.D.C. by Location:
|90 mm Electro Thermal Cannon:||120|
|Turret Medium Range Missile Launchers (2, Sides of Turret):||80 each|
|Turret Mini-Missile Launchers (2, Sides of Turret):||40 each|
|Reinforced Crew Compartment in the Turret:||50|
|Modular weapon mount on Front:||75|
|Smoke / Gas Dispensers (2):||15 each|
| Main Body:||450|
|Reinforced Crew Compartment (main body):||100|
| Track Treads (2):||90 each|
 Depleting the M.D.C. from the main body will shut the tank down completely, rendering it useless.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of a tread will immobilize the tank until it is replaced. Replacing a tread will take 1D6x10 minutes by a trained crew (2 replacements are carried on board) or three times as long by the inexperienced. Changing the tread is only possible when the vehicle is not under attack.
Ground: Maximum cruise is 75 mph (120.7 kph) which can be sustained indefinitely and can travel at a maximum of 110 mph (177 kph) for 2 hours before the engine overheats. The vehicle is designed to traverse virtually all terrain and can climb at up to a 60% grade although at a much slower speed (About 10% of maximum road speed). It can also climb barriers and ford trenches. The vehicle can also handle side slopes of up to 30%.
Buttoned up, it can travel under water at 30 mph (48.3 km).
Maximum Effective Range: Effectively unlimited (10 year lifespan)
Height: 10.5 feet (3.2 meters)
Width: 10 feet (3.0 meters)
Length: 32 feet (9.8 meters)
Weight: 33 tons (29.9 metric tons) fully loaded
Cargo: Minimal storage space; about four feet (1.2 m) for extra clothing, weapons, and personal items. Four Laser Rifles and three hand held Missile Launchers with 5 loads each are stored in a compartment behind the driver's seat.
Power System: Nuclear Only (10 year lifespan)
Black Market Cost: 28 million credits
- 90 mm Electro Thermal Cannon (1): Mounted in the tanks main turret in place of the 200 mm cannon on the Iron Hammer and is quite a bit more powerful. The projectile is loaded into the barrel, behind which there is a "propellant", which is a dot of light metal. A powerful electromagnetic force is applied to the metal, which causes its atoms to "switch" directions. This happens so violently that the metal turns to plasma, and this expanding gas then drives the projectile forward. Since the cannon is built into a turret, it can rotate 360-degrees and can aim upwards 60 degrees - allowing it to engage low-flying aircraft and creatures. The cannon is controlled by a gunner inside the turret compartment.
- Support Weaponry Turret: Originally planned to only carry the NG-202 light rail gun and the pulse laser cannon, the mount was modified so that it could carry a plasma flamethrower to deal with Xiticix and other monsters than need to be dealt with in large numbers. The weapon is located in the front of the tank and the laser cannon and rail gun can engage aerial targets (The Plasma Flamethrower does not have the range).
- Pulse Laser Mount: This weapon is mounted on the front of the tank and can is fired by the driver or the commander. The weapons primary purpose is use against infantry but is effective against missiles and to a lesser extent both aircraft and other armored vehicles.
- NG-202 Rail Gun (1): Like the cannon on the Samson Power Armor, this cannon has been modified for a higher rate of fire. The tank commander the gunner, or the driver can access and use the rail gun. The main advantage of the Rail gun is against targets which are impervious to energy weapons.
- WI-NFT-1 Napalm P Plasma Flamethrower: While Northern Gun and Wellington Industries are not on the best terms, the need for this weapon system has forced Northern Gun to purchase them to place on the tank. While not effective against aircraft, the wide area the weapon covers is very effective. This weapon fires a stream of liquid which when activated "burns" for a short period of time (1D4 minutes) and inflicts damage during that duration. This is not a convention plasma weapon that heats materials to the point beyond gas and has some interesting properties. Because the canisters for the plasma cannon are well inside of the tank, the damage from explosion are minimal unless the tank is destroyed.
- Turret Mounted Medium Range Missile Launchers (2): Mounted on the sides of the turret, these launchers holds three Medium Range Missiles ready to fire with three per side. Mini-Missile launchers are mounted above the medium range missile launchers. All missiles are considered to be Smart missiles.
- Turret Mounted Mini-missile Launcher (2): Mounted on the sides of the turret above the long range missile launchers. These launchers are designed for rapid fire use to engage heavy tanks and giant robots. These weapons are designed to be able to destroy enemy vehicles quickly.
- Smoke/Gas Dispensers (2): A smoke/gas dispensing unit is attached to each side of the Tank. The dispenser releases a dense cloud of smoke that covers a 40 foot (12.2 m) area in front of the vehicle, It can also release tear gas.
Maximum Effective Range: 3.5 miles (5.6 km) for direct fire and 8 miles (12.9 km) for indirect fire.
Mega Damage: A single round 3D6x10 (optional rule is that cannon gets a critical on a natural 18, 19, or 20 due to its high penetration). Can use High Explosive rounds that does 2D4x10 M.D. with a blast radius of 20 ft (6.1 m). High Explosive Anti Tank does 2D6x10 M.D. with a blast radius of 10 ft (3.0 m).
Rate of Fire:Maximum of four per melee.
Payload: 80 rounds (smaller and require less propellent). Normally 40 rounds are of standard anti-tank slugs. The payload of the original Iron Fist was actually 50 rounds not 80 rounds.
Bonuses: Has a special fire control computer that helps to aim the cannon. Gives +2 to strike with the cannon and vehicle does not have minuses to fire when tank is moving.
Maximum Effective Range: 4,000 feet (1,200 meters)
Mega-Damage: 3D6 for single shot and 1D6x10 for three round burst.
Rate of Fire: Equal to gunners hand to hand
Payload: Effectively Unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: 4,000 feet ( 1,200 m)
Mega-Damage: A burst is 60 rounds and inflicts 1D6x10 M.D. One round does 1D4 M.D.
Rate of Fire: Equal to number of combined hand to hand attacks (usually 4-6) of the gunner.
Payload: 12,000 round drum, that's 200 bursts! Up to five drums can be carried by the tank. Reloading the drum takes 15 minutes if done by hand, 5 minutes if done with robots and special equipment.
Maximum Effective Range: 500 feet
Mega-Damage: A short plasma burst inflicts 3D6 M.D. A concentrated plasma burst (counts as two attacks; 7 seconds) inflicts 1D4x10 M.D. As an additional option, the plasma weapon can be used to cover a wide area. Up to an area of 10 ft radius can be effected per melee attack. All targets within the area of effect will take 2D6 M.D. and will continue to receive 2D6 M.D. of damage per melee for a period of 1D4 minutes. The plasma fire cannot be extinguishes by water but must use sand or special chemical designed to fight metal fires.
Rate of Fire: Equal to number of combined hand to hand attacks (usually 4-6) of the gunner.
Payload: The tank has 4 Napalm-P tanks which gives the weapon 400 "shots".
Maximum Effective Range: Varies with medium range missile type; Usually armor piercing or plasma are carried (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: Varies with medium range missile type; Usually armor piercing or plasma are carried (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2) or three (3) missiles.
Payload: 6 medium range missiles, 3 in each launcher.
Maximum Effective Range: Varies with mini-missile type; Usually armor piercing or fragmentation are carried (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: Varies with mini-missile type; Usually armor piercing or fragmentation are carried (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), or six (6) missiles.
Payload: Each launcher carries 12 mini-missiles for a total of 24 Mini-missiles.
Payload: 20 total; 10 charges each; typically all smoke.
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2000, Kitsune. All rights reserved.