Ocean Emperor Carrier (Converted Container Vessel):
During the later part of the Twentieth Century, the largest vessels were tanker ships cumulating with the tanker Seawise Giant which for many years was the largest supertanker in the World. With the introduction of alternative fuels and high efficiency fuel cell systems, the super tanker slowly faded from the scene as the largest vessels and were replaced by container ships as the largest vessels on the oceans of the world. The largest container ships built before the coming of the Rifts were around four hundred and fifty meters long and around sixty meters wide. They were designed to carry over fifteen thousand containers. They were surprisingly fast with top speeds of over twenty-five knots and constructed out of the composites and alloys of the later part of the Twenty-First Century were virtually immune to corrosion.
After the coming of the Rifts, many of these vessels ended up being abandoned. No ports remained to operate these cargo ships and long range trade collapsed around the world. Some ran aground and ended up used for various other purposes. Others were sunk, either by the magic released by the coming of the Rifts or by the new dangers which appeared in the oceans. There are even tales told that some of these ships still sail the ocean, either drifting or commanded by ghosts which have taken over the helm of these giant vessels.
It is believed that the Ocean Emperor, perhaps the single largest of the container ships, was found adrift and was recovered by a group of marine explorers. Instead of using it as a cargo vessel, the sailors decided to convert the vessel into that of a carrier. It was far larger than virtually any super carrier built before the coming of the Rifts. As well, most converted carriers are far smaller. The rebuilding was done over time and is believe to have taken over a couple of decades. The original superstructure was raised and a hanger deck and flight deck was built on the hull. The flight deck slightly overhangs the hull. A new, relatively small superstructure was also built to one side. As rebuilt, the ship is used as a huge base of operations. Still, because it is built to civilian standards, it is not as tough as true military vessel.
Power for the vessel is provided by a pair of fusion reactor. Some smaller vessels used diesel engines using bio-diesel types and some really small vessels used fuel cell systems. For a ship the size of the Ocean Emperor and one expected to be in operation for decades, maybe even as long as a century, fusion power was considered the most economical. Since being recovered, the vessel has been refueled multiple times. The ship has two shafts and conventional propellers while most large military vessels, such as super carriers, have four shafts. Still, due to being lighter loaded than as a container vessel, the speed is faster than while in civilian service and can reach around twenty-eight knots.
The ship was designed with incredible automation and could be operate by a crew on only twelve although the ship had staterooms for a crew of forty. With the stripping of the original superstructure, these quarters had to be relocated. When converted, these quarters were relocated in the hull with additional crew quarters added in the for air crews and crew for weaponry and other purposes. As well, the ships are designed to be able to carry up to eight hundred troops with power armors. Common flying power armors types include SAMAS, Triax Predator, Flying Titan, and Northern Gun designs. The Terrain Hopper can be useful as well. Equipped with a ski jump for easier take off, the ship can carry up to one hundred and sixty aircraft although this has rarely been embarked. While non VTOL carrier designed can be launched from the carrier, the carrier does not have arresting gear so most cannot land. A wide variety of different fighter and different aircraft types are often carried. While some of the fighters and other aircraft onboard are permanently part of the ship’s forces, more are mercenaries hired on for short periods. Troops are often hired as mercenaries as well. As such, there is rarely much in the way of a cohesion of units. More extensive, but still limited, medical facilities were also added to the ship. There are also limited repair facilities aboard the carrier for embarked craft.
Of course fighters are the main weaponry of the carrier but the ship also mounts both short, medium, and long range missile launchers. While these mounts are mainly for self defense although give some ability for long range striking as well. These mounts are in large part salvaged from wrecked military vessels and vehicles. Two Mk 41 thirty-two cell vertical launch cells are mounted. A common load out is sixty-four long range missiles and one hundred and twenty-eight medium range missiles. Short range defense are four additional mounts combining two WI-54S Box Launchers with an automatic reload system. Over two hundred missiles total are carried with each launcher having fifty-six missiles per launcher. Four Northern Gun NG-H155 Rapid Fire Howitzer Rail Gun are fitted as well to back up the missile batteries. Finally, there is some measure of shipboard defense against attacking small boats and troops in the form of eight grenade launcher mounts.
Radar is also stripped from wrecked vessels. The SPY-1B radar system is mounted in the superstructure to give excellent tracking capability. This is combined with a SPS-49 radar system to give longer range tracking capabilities. To give some manner of detection against underwater attack, a small hull sonar system is mounted. There is some consideration being given on mounting a towed array sonar system in an extended fantail mount. The ship has no anti-submarine weaponry although could mount anti-submarine missiles in vertical launch systems. Instead, the ship relies mostly on power armors to deal with underwater attack. The huge vessel does mount both self defense systems against missiles and torpedoes.
Model Type: Converted Ocean class Container Ship
Vehicle Type: Multi Purpose Carrier (Converted Container Ship.)
Crew: 360 (30 officers, 38 chief petty officers, 292 enlisted [Has a high degree of automation]) not including Air Wing. Air Wing is 240 not including pilots (16 officers, 24 chief petty officers, 200 enlisted.) Also has the ability to embark 200 personnel (12 officers, 16 senior enlisted, 172 enlisted) for a command staff if required.
Troops: 250 pilots and 600 troops
Robots, Power Armors, and Vehicles:
|800||Flying Power Armors (Maximum - 200 Permanently Embarked)|
|120||VTOL Fighters (Maximum - 40 Permanently Embarked)|
|40||Support VTOL (Maximum - 10 Permanently Embarked)|
M.D.C. by Location:
|Mk 41 Tactical 32 cells Vertical Launch System (2):||160 each|
|Dual WI-54S Short Range Missile Box Launcher Mounts (4):||80 each|
|Howitzer Rail Gun Turret (4):||160 each|
| Howitzer Rail Gun Barrel (4, in Turret):||80 each|
| WI-GL21 Automatic Grenade Launchers (8):||40 each|
| SPY-1B Phase Array Radar Panels (4, Superstructure):||300 each panel|
| SPS-49 Search Radar Tower:||300|
|Chaff Launchers (4, Superstructure):||10 each|
| Bridge / Command Tower:||2,500|
| Exterior Elevators (4):||250 each|
|Hanger Doors (4):||200 each|
| Flight Deck:||3,000|
|Outer Hull (per 40 foot / 12.2 meter area):||60|
| Main Body:||8,000|
 These are small and difficult targets to strike, requiring the attacker to make a "called shot," but even then the attacker is -4 to strike.
 Destroying SPY-1 Phase Array radar panels will destroy the ship’s fire control systems but guns have backup systems and panels can compensate for each other.
 If Bridge/ Control Tower is destroyed, the ship can still be piloted from engineering but with a -15% to piloting rolls. Communication and sensor equipment are not concentrated on the bridge to reduce the effectiveness of bridge hits.
 If both elevators are destroyed, no aircraft can be moved from the hangers to the flight deck, meaning that only power armors and robot fighters (such as the Dragonwing or Kittani Robot Fighter) can leave the hanger.
 If the flight deck is destroyed, only VTOL aircraft can be launched or land. VTOL aircraft are at -15% to piloting. Robot Fighters. Such as the Dragonwing or Kittani Robot Fighters can launch or land without penalty.
 Destroying the main body causes the ship to lose structural integrity, causing the ship to sink. There are enough life preservers and inflatable life boats to accommodate everyone on the ship.
On Water: 32.24 mph (28 Knots/ 51.89 kph), normal cruising speed is 23.03 mph (20 knots / 37.06 kph)
Range: Unlimited due to fusion engines (needs to refuel every 20 years and requires maintenance as well). Ship carries twelve months of supplies on board.
Draft: 52.49 feet (16.5 meters) including hull sonar
Width: 165.68 feet (50.5 meters) at waterline and 214.90 feet (65.5 meters) at flight deck level.
Length: 1443.57 feet (440 meters) at waterline and 1,492.78 feet (455 meters) at flight deck level.
Displacement: 150,500 tons standard and 185,800 tons fully loaded.
Power Source: Two Nuclear Reactors with 20 year average life span (Usually refueled every ten years.)
Cargo Capacity: 20,000 tons (18,144 metric tons) of additional weapons and equipment. Each enlisted crew member has a small locker for personal items and uniforms. Ships officers have more space for personal items. Most of the ship’s spaces are taken up by extra ammo, armor, troops, weapons, and engines and often the extra cargo space is used for additional ammo as well.
Black Market Cost: Not for Sale but costs around one billion credits to construct. Conversion of a cargo vessel would probably cost around 400 million credits. If available on the black market, vessel would probably cost four to six billion credits.
- Four (4) Rapid Fire Howitzer Rail Gun: Two are mounted on either side of the bow and two are mounted on the fantail. Although an anti-aircraft design, it is also a very effective combat weapon against other boats. The cannon is controlled by the gunner. It is identical to the NG-H155, with the exception of a slightly different turret and external barrel, from the NG-V7 Hunter Mobile Gun. The turret can angle 90 degrees up and 30 degrees down and has 360 degree rotation.
- Eight (8) WI-GL21 Automatic Grenade Launchers: Mounted around the vessel. These are mounted in a pintle mound which has a 360 degree rotation and can angle up to 60 degrees. Mostly designed for anti-personnel, the weapon is extremely powerful and can damage other vessels as well. As a result, many crews use the armor piercing round even with a smaller blast radius. The gunner is outside the vehicle when he or she uses the weapon mount.
- Two (2) Tactical MK 41 Vertical Launch Missile Launcher: Each launcher has thirty-two missile cells each. The ship mounts one cell in front of the superstructure and a second behind the superstructure. These are the smaller tactical version of the missile launcher and cannot carry the longer cruise missile. From the beginning, the launchers have been found to be very flexible and adaptable. The launcher was originally design for the Tomahawk and Standard SM-2 Missile. On Rifts Earth, the launchers have been adapted to hold two long range missiles or four medium range missiles per cell. Long range missiles are normally used against aircraft and other large targets, and medium range missiles are normally used against closer targets such as incoming missiles. Rocket Boosted Anti-Submarine Torpedoes can be carried although are rarely carried ((See revised Rifts torpedoes for details.)
- Four (4) Dual WI-54S Short Range Missile Box Launcher Mounts: Mounts are paired with the howitzer rail guns, mounted slightly higher. These are mounted in pairs. These launchers rotate together 360 degrees and have a 90 degree arc of fire. The missile launchers reload extremely rapidly and are ready to be fire on the next attack. The system is designed to be able to target multiple incoming missiles simultaneously.
- Four (4) Chaff Launcher: Located on the sides of the hull of the ship, they are designed to confuse incoming missiles. All four launchers must be operated or effects will be reduced. Reduce effects of launchers by 50% per launcher not used. Rifts Earth decoy systems are assumed to not operate on Phase World missiles due to technological difference. Reduce effects by 20% against smart missiles (Add +20% to rolls for smart missiles.)
Maximum Effective Range: 6,000 feet (1,828 meters).
Mega Damage: Short Burst of 40 rounds: 1D6x10. Long Burst of 80 rounds: 2D6x10.
Rate of Fire:Equal to the pilots combined hand to hand of gunner (usually 5 or 6).
Payload: Carries 8000 (200 short burst or 100 long bursts) rounds in a drum magazine per rail gun. The cargo area can carry multiple additional drums (usually eight per rail gun are carried.) Reloading is done inside the vehicle and takes two melee rounds (30 seconds) for two crewmen or passengers and six melees (90 seconds) if only one person is involved or the people aren't trained in the reload procedure.
Maximum Effective Range: 3,000 feet (914 meters)
Mega-Damage: 4D6 for Fragmentation with a blast area of 12 feet (3.6 meters) and 1D4x10 for Armor Piercing with a blast area of 3 feet (0.9 meter), burst of 10 rounds does 2D6x10 for Fragmentation with a blast area of 40 feet (12 meters) and 3D6x10 for Armor Piercing with a blast area of 8 feet (2.4 meters.)
Rate of Fire: Equal to combined hand to hand attacks of gunner.
Payload: 800 Rounds each in box magazines. Multiple reloads are carried aboard for grenade launcher mounts.
Maximum Effective Range: As per long range, or medium range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: As per long range, or medium range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), sixteen (16), or thirty-two (32) missiles for both launchers per melee and can be fired at multiple targets at the same time.
Payload: Thirty-Two Cells per Vertical Launch System. Two long range missiles, or four medium range missiles may be carried per cell (Normal load is Sixty-Four  Long Range and One Hundred and Twenty-Eight  Medium Range Missiles.)
Note: SAM style missiles are missiles that sacrifice payload for higher speeds, see Chris Curtis' modified missile table for specifics.
Maximum Effective Range: Varies by short range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details - SAM style missiles normally.)
Mega-Damage: Varies by short range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details - SAM style missiles normally.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), or eight (8) missiles simultaneously (both launchers fire as one) each mount. Launchers retract and are ready to fire for next melee attack.
Payload: Four (4) short range missiles each launcher for eight (8) total per mount. The mount carries twenty-four (24) missiles as reloads for each launcher for a total of fifty-six (56) missiles total per mount. If a launcher is damaged, those missiles cannot be accessed except manually. A total of two-hundred and twenty-four (224) short range missiles are carried.
Range: Around Ship
Mega Damage: None
- 01-35 - Enemy missile or missile volley detonates in chaff cloud - Missiles are all destroyed.
36-60 - Enemy missile or missile volley loses track of real target and veers away in wrong direction (May lock onto another target.)
61-00 - No effect, enemy missile or missile volley is still on target.
Effects: The decoy has a 65% chance of fooling ordinary non military sonars and non smart guided torpedoes, the decoy has a 35% chance of fooling military level sonars (like those of the Coalition), and the decoy has a 10% chance of fooling advanced military sonars (Like those of the New Navy and Triax) and smart torpedoes.
Decoys have a duration of 30 minutes (120 melee rounds)
Payload: One, with four more as reloads. It takes three minutes (twelve melees) to reel out another decoy.
Sensor, Communication, and Other Equipment:
The ship has all systems standard on a robot vehicle plus the following special features:
- SPS-49 Radar: Long range air search radar system. Radar system has a range of 445 nautical miles (512.1 miles / 824.1 km). Radar system can track up to 128 targets simultaneously.
- SPY-1B+ Phased Array Radar: Powerful and flexible pre-rifts radar system that is comprised of four panels that each emit radar waves. Less advanced than the phased radar system fitted on the Coalition ships but still powerful. If allowed by the horizon, the system can track out to 175 nautical miles (201.4 miles / 324.1 km) and can simultaneously track and identify up to 288 targets at one time. The system controls missile launched from the long range missile launchers and the system track and guide each individual missile to a individual target for up to 96 targets. If a target is eliminated, missiles are automatically guided to a new target. The system can also control missiles launched from other linked vessels as well and can also act as fire control for gun mounts.
- SQS-56 Hull Sonar System: Mounted under the bow of the ship. Sonar system has a range of around 5 nautical miles (5.8 miles / 9.3 km). This hull sonar system has both a passive and active system built in. Sonar system can track up to 16 targets at one time.
- Command and Control Facilities: The vessel carries extra communications equipment and command facilities, to enable the ship to operate as the flagship for a flotilla. When operating in a flotilla, all ships get a +1 on sensor rolls, +1 to strike on all weapons, and +10 % on communications.
- Advanced Integrated Electronic Warfare System (AIEWS): Combination of radar detection system (ESM) and an active jamming system. The system can detect another radar system at 125% of the range of the transmitting radar. In jamming mode, causes -25% to detection but when it is active, other vehicles/ bases can detect that it is jamming, and some missiles will home in on jamming signals. Jamming also causes a -4 penalty to all radar guided weapons.
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2011, Kitsune. All rights reserved.