REEF-H01B Commanchero B Attack Helicopter:
Like many of the other REEF vehicles, the Commanchero B is a modified RDF design. The base commander, with the assistance of several other engineers, was able to recreate the design. The Commanchero could be considered closer to the Russian Hind class attack helicopter than most American attack helicopter designs. In physical appearance, this helicopter is virtually identical to the original RDF helicopter design. The REEF manufactures the helicopter as both an export design and for use by the REEF's Civil Defense Units. Many mercenary companies have found that they like the Commanchero better than they like the Iron Eagle attack helicopter. The Commanchero is more flexible in its ability to carry ordnance and can carry a small number of troops. Still, the Commanchero was more expensive so many groups bought the Iron Eagle because it was less expensive. This all changed with the Coalition capturing Iron Heart Armament. The sales of the REEF helicopter design have increased almost fifty percent.
Most of the modifications on the Commanchero are standard for REEF vehicles as compared to the original aircraft and are similar to the modifications made on other RDF and Southern Cross design. The aircraft's armor has been increased using the more durable M.D.C. alloys found on Rifts Earth. Most of the helicopter's sensor systems have been upgraded and are similar to those carried in advanced fighters. Instead of mounting a 12.7 mm machinegun on the nose like the original Commanchero, a single laser was mounted in the nose. The nose laser was originally going to be a modified version of the Triax variable frequency lasers and these lasers were mounted on the first prototype. It was decided that these lasers were too complex and expensive (as well as the REEF not wanting to cause trouble with the New German) and instead copies of the laser portion of the JA-12 Juicer Assault Rifle were mounted. The original Commanchero design mounted auto-cannon on each side. These were replaced by powerful rail guns that are very similar to NG-202 Rail Guns. Helicopters flying in the REEF's Civil Defense Units use special discarding sabot ammunition, which is not sold to mercenary companies. The helicopter can still carry six short range missile pods than can each hold nine missiles but these can be replaced by standard R.E.E.F. Aircraft Hard point Pods & Ordnance Loads. Mini-Missile pods and external Rail-Gun pods are very popular with mercenary companies. The only other pod that is presently available outside the REEF is the towed decoy pod but several mercenary companies have expressed an interested in pods used for anti-submarine roles.
The Commanchero is available with either a conventional power supply or with a fusion reaction. Although the fusion version has a virtually unlimited range, the convention version is very popular because it is less expensive to purchase initially.
Model Type: REEF-H01B
Class: Helicopter Gun ship & Combat Transport
Crew: Three (Pilot, Copilot, gunner), can carry up to 6 passengers
M.D.C. by Location:
|Forward Pulse Laser:||50|
|Missile Racks on wings (2):||100 each|
|Side Mounted Rail Guns (2):||100 each|
| Main Propeller:||100|
|Landing Gear (3):||10 each|
|Reinforced Cockpits (2):||125 each|
|Booster Jets (2):||90 each|
| Main Body:||375|
 Destroying the rear rotor or one of the main blades will cause the helicopter to fly at ½ speed, wobble and is -6 to parry, -3 to strike, and -40% on piloting skill/maneuvers. Smart pilots will land as soon as possible. Destroying the main top rotor will knock the helicopter out of the sky! Roll under the piloting skill -30% for a successful crash landing (due to the reinforced nature of the Commanchero, crew takes only 1/2 damage from an impact.
 Destroying the main body knocks the helicopter out of the sky and renders it completely useless.
Driving on Ground (Taxiing): Only possible for take offs and landings as well as for parking and storage. Speed is 40 mph (64 kph) when traveling and not on take off or landing.
Flying: Hover to 300 mph (482 kmph) with 150 mph cruise as helicopter, 500 mph (804 kmph) with a ceiling of 20,000 feet with booster jets. The helicopter has great maneuverability and VTOL capabilities.
Maximum Effective Range: The fusion version of the Commanchero can be flown continuously by engine but is limited by the pilots endurance. A liquid fuel version has a range of 600 miles
Height: 25 feet (7.6 meters)
Length: 58 feet (17.7 meters)
Width: 22 feet (6.7 meters); 65 feet (19.8 meters) with rotors
Weight: 12.5 tons fully loaded (11.35 metric tons)
Power Source: Fusion with an average life span of 10 years or conventional liquid fuel
Cargo: 6 soldiers with full gear or 1800 lbs (816 kg) of cargo
Cost: 27 million for a nuclear, 4.8 million for a liquid fuel.
- Forward Pulse Laser: Replaces 12.7 mm triple barrel machine gun with the barrels and inner working of the JA-12 Assault Rifle. Can rotate 180 degrees up and down and has a 30 degree rotation. The forward laser can be fired by pilot or copilot
- Two (2) REEF-2000 Rail Guns: The weapons officer has two copies of the NG-202 as side firing guns. They are set up like the NG-202 on the Samson power armor with a greater rate of fire. The gun is controlled by the helicopter weapons officer. Helicopters serving in the REEF Defense Forces uses APFSDS (Armor Piercing Fin Stabilized Discarding Sabot) ammo that increases damage. Both Rail guns can be combined if targeting a target directly forward of helicopter and rail guns have a 30 degree rotation/angle
- Wing Rack Missiles: Has three removable missile pods attached to each small standard for a total of six pods. Each pod contains nine short range missiles for a total of 54 short range missiles. Instead of carrying short range missile pods, it can use standard R.E.E.F. Aircraft Hard point Pods & Ordnance Loads in place of them. Launchers are normally fitted in pairs and mini missile pods are fairly common in place of short range missile pods. Simply use pods in place of what is listed below.
- Anti-Missile Chaff Dispenser: Located at the very tail of the helicopter are two chaff dispenser. When tailed by a missile, a cloud of chaff and other obtrusive particles can be released to confuse or detonate the enemy's attack. Rifts Earth decoys systems are assumed to not operate against Phase World missiles due to technological difference. Reduce effects by 20% against smart missiles (Add +20% to rolls for smart missiles.)
Maximum Effective Range: 4,000 feet (1,200 meters).
Mega Damage: 4D6 for one cannon, 8D6 for both cannons, 1D6x10+10 for three round burst from cannon.
Rate of Fire:Equal to the pilot or co-pilots's combined hand to hand (usually 5 or 6).
Payload: Effectively unlimited for fusion, 600 single shots if conventionally powered (Breaks down into 200 three shot bursts).
Maximum Effective Range: 4,000 feet (1,200 meters)
Mega Damage: Normal Ammo; 1D6x10 M.D.C. per burst of 60 rounds (Does not fire single shot) for one rail gun or 2D6x10 M.D.C. for both cannons. APFSDS Ammo; 2D4x10 M.D.C. per burst of 60 rounds (Does not fire single shot) for one rail gun or 4D4x10 M.D.C. for both cannons.
Rate of Fire: Equal to pilots hand to hand
Payload: 4500 rounds each gun, That is 75 Bursts for each rail gun.
Maximum Effective Range: Varies with short range missile types (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.) Mega Damage: Varies with short range missile types (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), three (3), or nine (9) missiles.
Payload: 9 missiles each hard point for a maximum of 54 short range missiles.
- 01-50 Enemy missile or missile volley detonates in chaff cloud - Missiles
are all destroyed.
51-75 Enemy missile or missile volley loses track of real target and veers away in wrong direction (May lock onto another target.)
76-00 No effect, enemy missile or missile volley is still on target.
Payload: Eight (8)
The attack craft has all the standard features of a standard fighter (same as standard robot minus loudspeaker and microphone) with the upgrade version carrying the following extra features (ESM is on all versions)::
- Radar: Range 500 miles (805 km). Can identify and track up to 48 targets simultaneously. With Combat & Targeting Computer, the Commanchero can fire missiles at up to twelve targets at the same time. It is also capable of Terrain Following for low altitude flight.
- Laser Navigational System: Allow flight at low altitude without use of Radar. Gives a map of the Terrain.
- F.L.I.R: Magnifies low light conditions
- E.S.M.: Radar Detector, Passively detects other radars being operated.
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Macross®, Robotech®, Robotech: Sentinels®, SDF-1®, Southern Cross®, and Zentraedi® are registered trademarks owned and licensed by Harmony Gold USA, Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 1998 & 2001, Kitsune. All rights reserved.