REEF-PTB-25 Super Piranha Submersible Attack Boat:
The REEF needed a vessel that could be used as submarines but they could not afford to operate large submarines like the Coalition and the New Navy does. The REEF has limited materials and does not have the huge population that the Coalition. The REEF managed to find some intact Pre-Rifts Piranha class submarines and in most ways, the design was optimal for their forces with some minor modifications. After carefully studying the Piranha, the engineers came up with an ungraded version which the REEF shipyard began construction on. To supplement other avenues of income, The REEF has sold a few of the advanced version of the Piranha to the New Navy who likes the ships as well and uses them for coastal operations. The REEF does not sell te advanced version to any parties other than the New Navy but also manufactures an unmodified version of the Piranha which they make a tidy profit from as well. Their most common purchaser of these vessels has been the country of Columbia with whom Southern Cross manufacturing has considered constructing a joint REEF/ Republic of Columbia shipyard in Columbia itself.
The original Piranha is a very interesting design and is a combination between a hydrofoil and a submersible. The Piranha is also one of the last Pre-Rifts vessel designs and many were in service at the time of the Great Cataclysm. The Piranha can travel underwater, with decent speed, and above water where it functions like a turbine driven hydrofoil system that lets the ship skim over the waves at great speed (Easily detected on Sonar when on hydrofoils). This allows for the tactic of getting to a location very quickly and then hiding out quietly and ambushing other vessels. The Piranha has good systems in general but does not have enough space to carry full size decoys. The Piranha also has a limited payload compared to most larger submarine which makes it better suited to coastal operations.
The REEF's version (which is also sold to the New Navy) is slightly longer than a standard Piranha with the extra space being used for the addition of two heavy torpedo tubes to the bow of the submarine and storage for the larger torpedoes. The rail gun has been replaced by a powerful particle beam cannon copied from the USA-G14 Space Glitter Boy that inflicts more damage, has a greater range, and is more effective under water. Even though the submarine is actually smaller than the Coalitions Submarines, its sonar systems have better range than the Coalitions systems.
Model Type: REEF-PTB-25
Class: Submersible Attack Boat.
Crew: Ten: Pilot, copilot/gunner, communications/sensor officer, engineer, 6 power armor pilots. Can accommodate up to 4 additional passengers/troops.
Robots, Power Armors, and Vehicles:
|6||Katana Power Armors|
M.D.C. by Location:
| Hydrofoils (3):||50 each|
| Sensor System:||100|
|Particle Beam Turret:||400|
|Torpedo Tubes:||100 each|
|Medium Range Missile/Torpedo Launchers (2):||100 each|
| Main Body:||650|
 Destroying the hydrofoils prevents the ship from using the hydrofoil propulsion system although it can still surface and travel at a speed of 40 mph (64 km). The hydrofoils are very small targets, requiring a called shot at -4 to hit.
 Destroying the sensor system eliminates all the radar and targeting bonuses; pilot and gunner are now limited to their own senses. The sensor system is a small target, requiring a called shot at -3 to hit. Sonar systems are mounted in the hull and are unaffected.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body destroys the submarine's structural integrity, causing it to sink. If the submarine is underwater, the entire crew will die unless protected by environmental armors that can withstand the pressure that the submarine is under. If on the surface, there are enough flotation devices and inflatable life rafts to accommodate everyone aboard.
Water Surface: 40 mph (34.8 Knots / 64 kph) using conventional propulsion system and 80 mph (69.5 knots / 128 km) using the hydrofoil system.
Underwater: 40 mph (34.8 Knots / 64 kph)
Maximum Effective Range: Effectively Unlimited due to fusion engines (needs to refuel every 20 years and requires maintenance as well). Vessel carries 2 months of supplies on board.
Height: 25 feet (7.6 meters)
Width: 21 feet (6.4 meter)
Length: 120 feet (36.6 meters)
Weight: 70 tons (63,500 kg)
Cargo: Very Little; up to 2 tons (1800 kg) of material. Each enlisted crew member has a small locker for personal items and uniforms. Ships officers have more space for personal items. Most of the ship’s spaces are taken up by extra torpedoes, weapons, and engines.
Power System: Nuclear; average energy life 20 years.
Market Cost: The REEF sells the advanced Piranha to the New Navy for 300 million credits each and sells to other interested groups the Pre-Rifts version for 220 million credits each. The Standard Piranha can often go on the black market for 500 + million each.
- Heavy Particle Beam Cannon: This powerful gun is mounted in the deck above the prow of the vessel in a streamlined mount. The original rail gun is replaced by a copy of the particle beam cannon off the USA-G14 Glitterboy which has a higher payload and recharge rate that the original power armor rifle. The cannon turret can rotate 360 and the barrel can tilt up to 90 degrees. The weapon can be used under water as well as on the surface.
- Forward Torpedo Tubes (2): The Super Piranha have a slightly lengthened bow to accommodate the addition of the extra torpedo tubes and torpedoes storage. The heavy torpedoes tubes enable the vessel to engage large and heavily armed targets with a decent chance of success. The tubes have an automatic reloading system and can be fired quickly. For warheads, heavy torpedoes should be treated as having long missiles warheads. Vessel carries 16 torpedoes total.
- Medium Missile/Torpedo Launchers (2): This system is from the original Piranha design. These side-mounted launchers can fire either regular medium-range missiles or special amphibious missiles (can be used as missile or torpedoes, have the same damage as equivalent missile, double cost, but can travel to underwater targets and are +2 to strike). Missile speed underwater is 120 mph (192 km) and have a range of 20 miles (32 km). The REEF and the New Navy usually carries only the special purpose amphibious missiles in the launchers.
- Noisemakers: The submarine carries noisemakers to decoy torpedoes. These noisemakers are similar to those used by Coalition submarines. The noisemakers are launched from the middle of the submarine.
Maximum Effective Range: 11,000 ft (about 2 miles/3.2 km)
Mega Damage: 4D6x10
Rate of Fire: Equal to combined hand to hand attacks of pilot or gunner
Payload: 40 shots in a capacitor, recharges at the rate of one shot every 30 seconds for Particle Beam
Maximum Effective Range: 40 miles (64.4 km)
Mega Damage: By Heavy torpedo warhead type (See revised Rifts torpedoes for details.)
Rate of Fire: Up to 4 torpedoes per tube per melee
Payload: 16 Torpedoes
Maximum Effective Range: As per medium range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: As per medium range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), or eight (8) missiles.
Payload: 32 total; 16 per missile launcher.
Effect: 50% of decoying normal torpedoes and 20% of decoying smart torpedoes.
Rate of Fire: 2 at a time (Can be reloaded in one melee)
Payload: 20 Noisemakers
The vessel has all systems standard on a robot vehicle plus the following special features::
- Extended Life Support: This submarine has an enhanced like support system when compared to most other vehicles because it is designed to operate underwater for extended periods of time. The submarine has an incredible air recycling system that allows the crew to recycle air for five months before the atmosphere is too stale to breath. The submarine also has a 96 hour supply of oxygen to support the recycling system.
- Advanced Hull Sonar System: Sonar system has a range of around 50 nautical miles (57.5 miles / 92.6 km). This hull sonar system has both a passive and active system built in. Sonar system can track up to 16 targets at one time and has a +10% to read sensor and weapon system skill rolls.
- Advanced Towed Array Sonar: The system is basically a long and very sensitive sonar system carried behind the submarine on a long cable. Sonar system has a range of around 120 nautical miles (138.1 miles/222.2 km). This towed array Sonar is a passive only sensor system. Sonar system can track up to 32 targets at one time.
- ESM: This system is mounted in mounted in the superstructure and is extended in a similar manner to a periscope. The antenna is very hard to detect both visually and by radar. Can detect another radar system at 125% of the range of the transmitting radar.
- Quieted propulsion and Anechoic Coating: This system is in addition to the sound masking system. The ship is designed with a very quiet propeller design, the submarines reactors make very little noise, and the ships is coating by a sonar defeating rubber coating. The submarine is -50% to detect when traveling at less that 15 knots and is at -30% to detect when traveling at speeds greater than that. When the ship is traveling on the surface using hydrofoils, it is at +20% to detect.
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Macross®, Robotech®, Robotech: Sentinels®, SDF-1®, Southern Cross®, and Zentraedi® are registered trademarks owned and licensed by Harmony Gold USA, Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 1998, 1999, 2001, Kitsune. All rights reserved.