REEF-R01 Scorpion Robot Vehicle:
The REEF originally used Iron Hammer tanks as their main heavy battle unit and to support infantry. When Iron Heart Armament was taken over by the Coalition, it was decide that REEF Canaveral base develop a replacement for it. A four legged robot was decided in place of a Tank because it can handle terrain better. While it is generally agreed that Tanks can operate on virtually any terrain that a robot vehicle can, it was decided that a Robot style design would be used. The only major problem with the design is that it is rather expensive and is more vulnerable than most tanks and there is some consideration to switch over to a simpler tank design.
The Scorpion is all around better performance wise than an Iron Hammer Tank having higher top speed and still being low to the ground. As well, it is designed to be able to work underwater. With the trade of Wasp and Beetle power armors to Metalworks industries, they were able to get in return designs for a powerful 80 mm rail gun which has a longer range than the heavy cannon carried on the Iron Hammer. Co-axial to the main gun is an incredibly powerful particle beam which is a close copy of the particle beam developed for the USA-G14 Space Glitter Boy. The two mounts have the ability to maneuver 15 degrees to the side or down and 45 degrees upward. There is a tube style medium range missile launcher mounted on the right side of the vehicle. It is often used as medium range missile artillery but is very useful against attacking aircraft as well. The Scorpion also has side mounted short range missile launchers. The short range missile launchers often carry smoke missiles but there have been experiments with high speed interceptor missiles and concussion missiles. In the front of the vehicle is a Shemarrian rail gun with a wide traverse which is used to protect the robot vehicle. Because of the height of the Scorpion, there is danger of troops getting under it and a defensive laser was mounted underneath for some underside protection. It can be set on automatic to act completely independently. On the rear of the Scorpion, a drum bomb can be carried. It uses a fusion warhead and will not detonate if it is hit unless it is hit only ten seconds before it is programmed to detonate. The Scorpion is fitted with standard Rifts Robot sensors but also has a periscope to look over fairly low terrain.
If Game Master gives extra hand to hand attacks for piloting Robot Vehicles, pilot uses vehicle's hand to hand skill but the gunners only gets their normal attacks. Pilot also usually acts as the vehicle's commander but the vehicle can also carry three additional personnel with one often acting as the vehicle's commander. With a full crew (one pilot and three gunners), each crew is expected to perform only one job. Of course, one acts as the drive. Another crew member controls the heavy weaponry including the 80-mm heavy rail gun, particle beam, and missile launchers. Another crew member is in front with the driver and controls the lighter rail gun. The bottom laser mount is controlled by remote from inside the vehicle if it is being manned. If passengers are being carried and they are not troops, one will usually act as a commander while one acts as a sensor and communication operator.
In appearance, this Mecha looks like a Battletech Scorpion BattleMech from Technical Readout 3025.
Model Type: REEF-R01 a.k.a. MBR-01-MK I
Class: Heavy Infantry Assist and Assault Destroid
Crew: Four; Pilot, Primary Gunner, Rail Gun Gunner, and Bottom Gunner, Three more can be seated within the cockpit (Often troops)
M.D.C. by Location:
|80 mm Hyper Velocity Rail Gun (Centerline):||200|
|Particle Beam Cannon Barrel (centerline with Rail Gun):||275|
| Nose rail Gun (Left side):||150|
| Underbody Laser Turret (Center):||100|
|Medium Range Missile Pod (Right Side):||250|
|Short Range Missile Launchers (2, on each side):||125 each|
|Drum Bomb (1 - Optional, Right Rear):||400|
|Upper Legs (4):||250 each|
|Knee Joints (4):||125 each|
|Lower Legs (4):||275 each|
|Feet (4):||125 each|
| Spotlights (2, Right front):||50 each|
|Hatches (2, top):||100 each|
|Reinforced Crew Compartment:||200|
| Main Body:||600|
 These are small and difficult targets to strike, requiring the attacker to make a "called shot," but even then the attacker is -4 to strike.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body will shut the mecha down completely, rendering it useless.
Running: 120 mph (193 kph) maximum speed. Cruising speed is generally about 60 mph (97 kph).
Leaping: powerful legs allow robot to leap 20 feet (6.1 m) up and 30 feet (9.1) across from a standing position 25 feet (7.6 m) up and 50 feet (15.4 m) across with a short running start.
Underwater: It can walk along the bottom of the sea floor at 25% of maximum speed and has a maximum Ocean depth of 1 mile (1.6 km).
Maximum Effective Range: Limited only by the crew's endurance. Emergency food and air supply will keep the pilot and gunner alive for two weeks.
Height: 9 feet (2.7 meters) for main body section and 34 feet, 6 inches (10.5 meters) when standing on its legs.
Width: 15 feet (4.6 meters) for main body section and 40 feet, 6 inches (12.3 meters) with outspread legs.
Length: 24 feet (7.3 meters) for main body section and 31 feet, 6 inches (9.6 meters) with outspread legs.
Weight: 32 tons (29.1 metric tons) fully loaded, 29 tons (26.3 metric tons) empty.
Physical Strength: Equal to a P.S. 40
Cargo: A 4 x 4 x 3 foot storage bin for extra equipment and weapons.
Power System: Nuclear Fusion with average lifespan of 20 years
Black Market Cost: If found it would probably be worth 40 million for a new, undamaged, and fully operation robot complete with missiles and Ion Cannon. The REEF does not sell the Scorpion.
- High Velocity 80 mm Heavy Rail Gun (1): Mounted in the centerline of the four legged robot. This rail gun normally fires a solid dart of MDC materials that does massive damage to targets that it hits but can also use explosive warheads. Loading system of the gun is completely automated. The cannon is mounted in a forward facing position and only has a limited traverse. The cannon can move from side to side up to fifteen degrees. The barrel elevation is much greater with the ability to be raised or lowered up to forty-five degrees. Weapon is controlled by the primary gunner but the commander has emergency controls.
- Particle Beam Cannon: Mounted co-axial to the 80-mm rail gun, this weapon has the advantage of effectively unlimited payload while still having excellent range for a relatively light energy weapon. The weapon is a copy of the particle beam cannon off the USA-G14 Space Glitter Boy but has a higher payload and recharge rate. Still, the power requirements of the particle beam are heavy enough that a capacitor is required. The particle beam shares the same traverse and elevation as the 80 mm cannon and can use the same fire control computer. The particle beam cannon be fired simultaneously with the hyper velocity rail gun.
- Rail Gun Mount: An incredibly power rail gun with excellent range. Mounted in the front on the left hand side with gunner positioned right behind turret. The weapon system can traverse 60 degrees across or up and down. It is basically a copy of the Shemarrian Rail Gun. Weapon is normally controlled by a separate gunner but the driver has secondary controls.
- Underbody laser turret: Used to prevent soldiers and power armors from attacking the underside of the Robot. It has 360 degree rotation and elevation changes of 85 degrees and is able to hit just about straight under robot. It can be controlled by a separate gunner who used a remote control from the cockpit but can also be set for computer controlled with six attacks per melee and +2 to strike. Turret also incorporates an emergency escape hatch. Weapon mount is a modified version of the spider defense system without the smoke grenade launchers..
- Medium Range Missile Pod (14 Medium Range Missiles): The vehicle has a tube style missile pod mounted to the right side of the Particle Beam Cannon. The Launcher carries 7 medium range missiles with one set of reloads for the total of 14 medium range missiles. It can be fired by either the pilot or the gunner but not both.
- Short Range Missile Mortars (2): 2 launcher with 3 missiles a piece for a total of 6 missiles. Used for special purposes but can carry conventional Missiles. It can be fired by either the pilot or the gunner but not both.
- Drum Bomb (Optional): Mounted on the rear of the Robot. Similar to drum bomb on REF MAC III destroid. It is encased with 300 MDC worth of armor to protect it from being detonated by the enemy. Can be programmed to explode from 10 seconds to 90 minutes. Bomb weighs two tons
- Hand-to-Hand Combat: Kick does 1D6 MDC, Stomp does 2D6 MDC, Body Block/Ram does 1D6 per 20 mph of speed.
Maximum Effective Range: 3 miles (4.83 km) for direct fire and 7.5 miles (12 km) for indirect fire.
Mega Damage: A single round 4D6x10+20 (optional rule is that cannon gets a critical on a natural 18, 19, or 20 due to its high penetration). Can use High Explosive rounds that do 1D4x10 with a blast radius of 20 ft. High Explosive Anti Tank does 1D6x10 with a blast radius of 10 ft.
Rate of Fire: Maximum of four per melee.
Payload: 80 rounds.
Bonuses: Has a special fire control computer that helps to aim the cannon. Gives +2 to strike with rail gun and vehicle does not have minuses to fire when tank is moving.
Maximum Effective Range: 11,000 feet (about 2 miles/3.2 km)
Mega Damage: 4D6x10
Rate of Fire: Equal to combined hand to hand attacks of primary gunner or commander
Payload: 40 shots in a capacitor, recharges at the rate of one shot every 30 seconds for Particle Beam.
Maximum Effective Range: 6,000 feet (1,828 meters)
Mega Damage: 2D6x10 per round
Rate of Fire: Equal to combined hand to hand attacks of gunner
Payload: 880 Rounds (4 belts linked together)
Maximum Effective Range: 4,000 ft (1,200 m) for light blasts, 3,000 ft (915 m) for heavy blasts, 20 ft (6 m) for electrical current,
Mega Damage: 4D6 for light blasts, 1D4x10 for heavy blasts, 3D6 SDC for electrical current
Rate of Fire: Equal to combined hand to hand attacks of gunner or 6 Attacks per melee (+2 to strike) when set on automatic
Maximum Effective Range: As per medium range missile type (Go to Revised bomb and missile table).
Mega Damage: Varies with medium range missile type (Go to Revised bomb and missile table).
Rate of Fire: The number of volleys a character can fire is equal to his combined hand to hand attacks per melee. One volley counts as one attack regardless of number of missiles fired.
Payload: 14 medium range missiles
Maximum Effective Range: As per short range missile type (Go to Revised bomb and missile table).
Mega Damage: Varies with short range missile type (usually none due to fact that standard load out is usually 2 Smoke, 2 Tear Gas, and 2 Fire Retardant - Go to Revised bomb and missile table).
Rate of Fire: One at a time only.
Payload: 3 each launcher for 6 short range missiles total.
Maximum Effective Range: Where dropped
Mega Damage: will inflict 1D6x1000 MDC to everything within a 500 ft (153 m) radius and 1D6x100 MDC to an additional 1000 ft (305 m) radius.
Rate of Fire: One at a time only.
Payload: One bomb
The Robot has all the standard features of a standard Rifts Robot plus these special features listed.
- Radar: 50 miles, can identify 96 targets and track 48 as low as 500 ft. Same as robots Maxi-Radar.
- Combat Computer/ Targeting Computer: Assist in the tracking of targets. Calculates, Stores and Transmits Data onto the cockpit computer system or the HUDs. With two crew members, the vehicle can target up to eight targets at one time.
- Thermo-Imager: Range: 2,000 ft (609 m). Finds the infra-red radiations of things that are warm. Also enables pilot to see in smoke, shadows and darkness.
- Nightvision Optics: Range: 2,000 ft (609 m). Uses light amplification to make a picture. Emits no light but will not work in absolute darkness.
HAND TO HAND BONUSES:
For Elite combat use the listed bonuses and number of attacks, otherwise use Robot Combat basic.
- Two hand to hand attacks per melee (plus pilots)
- +3 to roll with punch, fall, or impact (explosion), reducing damage by half.
- Kick attack
- +2 to strike
- +3 to parry
- +3 to dodge
- Critical strikes same as pilots hand to hand.
- One additional hand to hand at levels Five and Ten.
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, and Xiticix TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Macross®, Robotech®, Robotech: Sentinels®, SDF-1®, Southern Cross®, and Zentraedi® are registered trademarks owned and licensed by Harmony Gold USA, Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 1998 & 2003, Kitsune. All rights reserved.