REEF-SFL-10 Knight Class Space Corvette:
The REEF has stored in their facilities a Hunter class destroyer that was acquired by Metalworks Inc. on a trip to Phase World. Metalworks allowed the REEF to study the ship and the REEF used many of the system that they were able to decipher when they designed the Knight class space corvette. These ships are very expensive so the REEF has only built them in very small numbers and it is unlikely they will construct any more unless they are trying to replace losses. While the ship has incredible firepower, the ships can be defeated by overwhelming number and they do not have the firepower of most of the ships of similar size within the Three Galaxies. Still, they are very impressive.
The basic hull of the ship is from the Southern Cross C.T.C. Combat Shuttle but has been extensively modified to the point that it is almost a different starship than the combat shuttle.
The propulsion of the ship is a mixture of different systems. For atmospheric flight, the Corvette retains the thrusters from the shuttle but adds the contra-grav propulsion system of the Hunter. This ship is one of the fastest vehicles ever built on Rifts Earth. The REEF was unable to copy the FTL portion of the Hunter so the ship is limited to in-system use
This ship has incredible defense and weaponry when compared to other Rifts Earth Vehicles, Orbital Community, and Robotech ships that are the same size. The ship carries variable shields copied from the Hunter class destroyers and is capable of stopping virtually all weapons on Rifts Earth although the shield is far less powerful that the system it is copied from. The main battery of the ship is two particle beams cannons that are also copied from the Hunter Class destroyer but are slightly larger than those on the Hunter and due to the huge power requirements, the ship can only power two of the cannons. Most of the other weapon systems are retained from the original shuttle but the Corvette has several extra rail guns. The corvette carries four laser cannon turrets, four rail gun turrets, and four missile launching turrets. The ship also retains the shuttles missile mounts on the hull of the CTC combat shuttle
The ship also has a radar system that is derived from the sensor suite from the Hunter. This system can cut through virtually all jamming system on Rifts Earth. The system is very expensive and is only mounted on these Corvettes, Florida Base itself, and the ARMD Platform.
Unlike the original shuttle design that the hull of the ship is based off of, the ship does not carry a large number of vehicles or troops but due to the fact that the ship might be required to operate further from base, the ship has good crew facilities although the facilities are cramped. The ship’s cargo storage has also been greatly decreased and the ship cannot carry bombs as a result.
To be more accurate, this shuttle follows theoretical information about starships operating non chemical propulsion in space. This has meant much greater speeds and accelerations. Listed is the formula to allow player and game masters to calculate the shuttle velocity.
- Velocity = Acceleration x Time + Initial Velocity
Distance Traveled = Acceleration x ½ x Time ² + Initial Velocity x Time
1 G = 32 feet (9.8 m) per second ²
Model Type: REEF-SFL-10
Class: In-System Space Corvette
Troops: 12 Marines and 8 Logan Pilots
M.D.C. by location:
|Forward Heavy Particle Beams (2):||800 each|
|Laser Turrets (4):||300 each|
|Rail Gun Turrets (4):||300 each|
|Missile Turrets (4):||300 each|
| Main Engines (Rear):||1,500|
| Reinforced Pilots Compartment/ Bridge:||1,200|
|Small Hatches (4):||200 each|
|Tail Fins (3):||400 each|
|Landing Gear (3):||100 each|
| Main Body:||8,000|
| Variable Force Field:||400 a side (2,400 Total)|
 If the Main engines are destroyed, the ship is limited to 10% of normal using maneuvering if in space. If the ship is in an atmosphere, the ship will crash. The crew may either attempt a crash landing or may evacuate the ship.
 In reality this is how much damage needs to be done for a weapon to hit the bridge through the ships armor. This ship does not have an auxiliary bridge. Even if the bridge is destroyed, the ship can still be piloted from engineering but the ship is -3 to dodge and all weapon systems will be at local control. Weapon hits near the bridge that do not penetrate the ships integrity can injure crew members on or near the bridge.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body will shut the starship down completely, rendering it useless. Note: Lasers do half damage
 Shields positions can be varied and all could be combined in one shield. Shields regenerate at the rate of 5% (120 M.D.C.) per melee
Driving on the Ground: Not Possible.
Space Propulsion: Using the vehicle's anti-gravity system, the vehicle can accelerate at up to 20 G.
Atmospheric Propulsion: Ship has had some minor redesigns to facilitate better use in an atmosphere. Cruise speed is mach 3.2 (2462.4 mph/3962.9 kph) and due to the contragrav propulsion systems, the ship can enter and leave the atmosphere under its own power.
Underwater Propulsion: Although it is not intended for underwater use, the ship can operate underwater using brute force. Maximum speed is 100 mph (160 kph)
Maximum Range: Conditionally Unlimited, the anti-gravity system requires no reaction mass. Carries about one year worth of supplies on board.
Length: 412 feet (125.6 meters)
Width: 120 feet (36.5 meters)
Height: 120 feet (36.5 meters)
Weight: 4550 tons (3131.4 metric tons).
Power System: Fusion reactor with a 20 year life
Cargo: Cargo bay can hold up to 40 tons worth of cargo. Each enlisted crew member has a small locker for personal items and uniforms. Ship’s officers have more space for personal items. Most of the ship’s spaces are taken up by extra ammo, armor, troops, weapons, fighters, and engines.
Market Cost: Never been sold, Costs around one billion credits each to build.
- Heavy Particle Beam Cannons (2): This weapon system is copied from a Phase World Hunter class destroyer the REEF has been studying but is both larger and requires more power. The cannons are mounted on the front of the ship on either side of the main body. They are capable of destroying most Rifts Earth Target in one or two hits. The Cannons may be combined but suffer standard penalties when used against small targets such as fighters.
- Four (4) Rail Gun Turrets: The turrets are mounted on the top, bottom, and two sides, for a total of four. Each has +1 to strike and can rotate 360 degrees and to have a 90 arc of fire. Weapons have eight times their atmospheric range when used in space.
- Four (4) Long Range Missile Launching Turrets: Missiles are assumed to accelerate at 2 times normal mach speed in Gs greater than the starships speed when used in space. Missiles can be launched at non moving targets beyond the powered range of the missiles to hit targets without the chance of the launching ship being hit by missiles itself but penalties exist when launching missiles beyond normal missile range.
- Forty Eight (48) Long Range Missile on frame: This allows the ship to throw a very large number of missiles for a first volley of missiles. Weapons are fired either by pilot, co-pilots, or navigators. Missiles are assumed to accelerate at 2 times normal mach speed in Gs greater than the starships speed when used in space. Missiles can be launched at non moving targets beyond the powered range of the missiles to hit targets without the chance of the launching ship being hit by missiles itself but penalties exist when launching missiles beyond normal missile range.
- Anti-Missile Chaff Dispenser: Located at the very tail of the corvette are two chaff dispensers. When tailed by a missile, a cloud of chaff and other obtrusive particles can be released to confuse or detonate the enemy's attack. Rifts Earth decoy systems are assumed to not operate against Phase World missiles due to technological difference. Reduce effects by 20% against smart missiles (Add +20% to rolls for smart missiles.)
Maximum Effective Range: 10,000 miles (16,000 Km) in space and 20 miles (32 km) in an atmosphere.
Mega-Damage: 2D4x100 M.D. each (4D4x100 Maximum for both)
Rate of Fire: Each cannon can be fired once per one melee.
Payload: Effectively Unlimited
2. Four (4) Rapid Fire Laser Turrets: The turrets are mounted on the top, bottom, and two sides, for a total of four. Each has +1 to strike and can rotate 360 degrees and to have a 90 arc of fire. Weapons have eight times their atmospheric range when used in space.
Maximum Effective Range: 8,000 feet (2,400 meters) in an atmosphere and 12.1 miles (19.5 km) in space.
Rate of Fire:Each can be fired up to six (6) times per melee
Payload: Effectively Unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: 6,000 feet (1828 m) in an atmosphere. Weapon ranges are increased by eight times in space.
Mega Damage: 2D6x10 per round
Rate of Fire: Equal to combined hand to hand attacks of gunner
Payload: 880 Rounds (4 belts linked together) each
Maximum Effective Range: varies by long range missile type, assume powered range is 8 x normal in space (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega-Damage: Varies by long range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire:Each Turret can fire one or in volleys of two (2) or three (3) per attack.
Payload: Each turret contains six (6) missiles, but will automatically reload when empty (Takes one melee). Each turret can be reloaded eight (8) times carrying a total of 54 missiles per turret (216 missiles total)
Maximum Effective Range: Varies by long range missile type, assume powered range is 8 x normal in space (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega-Damage: Varies by long range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can only be fired in volleys of four (4), eight (8), sixteen (16), or twenty-four (24).
Payload: 48 total.
- 01-50 Enemy missile or missile volley detonates in chaff cloud - Missiles
are all destroyed.
51-75 Enemy missile or missile volley loses track of real target and veers away in wrong direction (May lock onto another target.)
76-00 No effect, enemy missile or missile volley is still on target.
Payload: Sixteen (16)
The Corvette has all systems standard on a robot vehicle plus the following special features:
- Three Dimensional Search Radar: This systems is a derivative of the radar systems they found on the Hunter class destroyer. The system images all targets in three dimensions, can plot all targets on a holographic display. The system can also give three-dimensional images of targets. The system has a range in an atmosphere of 1200 miles (1931 km) The system can track and identify 4096 targets at on time. Can also target each individual missile to a separate target at up to 1024 targets. This system will normally not be detected by Rifts Earth / Mutant In Orbit ESM because it operates on an unusual frequency. This system gives the ship +25% to read sensory instruments, +2 addition to strike with missiles, +4 to initiative, and treat Jamming as only 10% as effective (These are all compared to Rifts Earth systems, in Phase World all bonuses would be eliminated and could not cut through the Jamming of an Avenger Power Armor).
- Active Jamming System: Causes -25% to detection but when it is active, other vehicles/ bases can detect that it is jamming, and some missiles will home in on. Jamming also causes -4 to all radar guided weapons.
- V. A. S.: Visual magnification that multiplies all images by about 300 times which allows visual identification and tracking of fighter sized objects out to 30 to 40 miles.
- E.S.M.: Radar Detector, Passively detects other radars being operated.
- Laser Navigational System: Allow flight at low altitudes without use of Radar. Gives a map of the Terrain.
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Macross®, Robotech®, Robotech: Sentinels®, SDF-1®, Southern Cross®, and Zentraedi® are registered trademarks owned and licensed by Harmony Gold USA, Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 1998, 2000, & 2001, Kitsune. All rights reserved.