Renard Marine "Heron" Patrol Boat:
Renard Marine is a fairly small boat building company on the Great Lakes. The company builds a variety of small vessels and other marine equipment. This includes smaller patrol boats than the Heron, tugboats, small cargo vessels, fishing vessels, and even barges. Most of their vessels are comparatively lightly armed and they do not produce any of the huge warships which Iron heart Industries produced. Vessels produced by the company can be found in the Great Lakes but can also been seen along rivers and even along the coast.
The Heron is the largest patrol boat which Renard Marine produces. It appears to be similar in many respects to the Pre-Rifts United States Navy "Cyclone" Patrol Boat. It is not as advanced in its design as some other patrol vessels although still a capable design. Patrol Boats are the most common armed water craft with few larger ships even corvettes or frigates. Several companies produce similar designs to the Heron. Such small vessels are not as much of a concern to the Coalition because they are far smaller generally than the larger vessels which had been produced by Iron Heart Industries. The only real concern is that a number of these vessels have found their way into the hands of pirates.
The vessel is designed with a relatively low draft so that it can operate in Coastal Wars. Top speed is not as fast as many newer designs with a top speed of around thirty-six knots in good conditions. High seas and winds will reduce top speed. The vessel mounts a pair of vectored thrusters and "fly by wire" system for greater maneuverable. Power provided by either a pair of small fusion reactors or a diesel-electric hybrid engine. The fusion powered version has virtually unlimited range using a pair of power armor reactors. The Diesel / Electric Hybrid is far cheaper but has a range of only about four thousand nautical miles.
The design is built out of a combination of high strength composites and alloys. The design is designed to give reasonable protection while keeping the vessel lightweight. It is not truly heavily armored and while slightly larger than the Iron Heart "Triton" class, it is only about equally protected. It does have a basic climate control system but lacks full life support. The vessel is designed to be operated by a crew of fourteen with two officers. The boat can carry enough supplies for about two months of operations. As well, the vessel can embark up to six flying power armors or up to ten troops without power armors. Flying Titans and SAMAS Power Armors are the most common. Sometimes underwater power armors will be carried instead of flying suits. The vessel usually carries a single small boat on the stern. This is often employed for boarding operations, especially if there are no embarked flying power armors.
Renard Marine does not manufacture any of their own weapon system. Most weapon system carried onboard are from Wellington Industries and were not originally developed for shipboard purposes. While relatively "Low Tech", such weapon systems are quite reliable and far less expensive than rail guns and other advanced weapon systems. While still quite capable of fighting other vessels, the Heron is fitted more to attack shore locations than other boats. As with the weapon systems, sensors are fairly basic with a comparatively short range air search radar and a short range hull sonar system.
Mounted in the forward part of the vessel and near the stern are a pair of mounts which combine a 30 mm chain gun and a 40 mm grenade launcher. The two weapons compliment each other with the chain gun able to track and target aircraft. Secondarily, the vessel mounts a box launcher with a total of twelve long range missiles. Based on the Army MLRS launcher, It has six cells on either side of the support for the launcher. No reloads for the long range missile launcher are carried although the launcher can be quickly reloaded. Some have argued for replacing the missile launcher with a mortar for indirect fire against ground targets. It can theoretically fire rocket boosted torpedoes although pretty much unknown. Finally, for defense against incoming missiles and other air threats, the ships mounts a pair of short range missile launchers. Each one has four missiles ready to fire and can retract into the superstructure to reload. In addition to the missiles carried in the launcher, there is a total of twenty-four missiles as reloads. Usually anti-aircraft missiles which are faster but mount smaller warheads are carried. Sometimes additional short range missiles are carried in the cargo hold for reloads although they have to be manually reloaded. Usually the crew carries small arms and wear body armor when entering combat. There is a port for charging energy clips on fusion powered versions of the vessel.
Model Type: PC-10 Class Patrol Boat
Vehicle Type: Ocean & Waterway, Patrol Boat
Crew: 14; 2 Officers, 2 Petty Officers, and 10 Enlisted (Has a high degree of automation)
Troops: 10 troops or 6 pilots for Flying Power Armors
Robots, Power Armors, and Vehicles:
|6||Flying Power Armors (Most often SAMAS, Flying Titan, or TRIAX Predator)|
M.D.C. by location:
|Bridge / Pilot House:||200|
| Spotlight (4):||20 each|
| Medium Range Radar Array:||80|
|WI-99 Combination Chain Gun / Grenade Launcher Mount (2)||120 each|
|WI-66L Long Range Missile Launchers (2, 6 cells each):||120 each|
|WI-54S Short Range Missile Box Launchers (2, Retractable):||40 each|
| Main Body:||680|
 These are small and difficult targets to strike, requiring the attacker to make a "called shot," but even then the attacker is -4 to strike.
 Missiles mount targeting systems function but system can no longer track and target multiple incoming missiles simultaneously.
 Destroying the main body causes the vessel to lose structural integrity, causing the vessel to sink. There are enough life preservers and inflatable life boats to accommodate everyone on the vessel.
Surface: 41.5 mph (36 knots/ 66.7 kph)
Range: Conventional Hybrid: 4,606 miles (4,000 nautical miles / 7410 kilometers) Fusion Model: Unlimited due to fusion engines (needs to refuel every 10 years and requires maintenance as well).
Both versions of the vessel carries about two months of supplies on board.
Length: 164.04 feet (50.0 meters) at waterline / 180.44 (55.0 meters) overall
Draft: 7.87 feet (2.4 meters) fully loaded
Width: 26.25 feet (8.0 meters)
Displacement: 350 tons standard and 385 tons fully loaded
Cargo: 60 tons (54.4 metric tons) of nonessential equipment and supplies (20 tons / 18.14 metric tons for Conventional Hybrid Version.) Each crew member has a small locker for personal items and uniforms. Vessel's officers have more space for personal items. Most of the vessel's spaces are taken up by extra ammo, armor, troops, weapons, and engines.
Power System: Two versions: Conventional, Diesel / Electric Hybrid and Nuclear Reactor (Average life span is 10 years)
Black Market Cost: Conventional Hybrid: 100 million credits. Fusion Model: 125 million credits.
- Two (2) WI-99 Combination 30 mm Chain Gun / 40 mm Grenade Launcher Mounts: Mounted on the bow of the vessel and the stern, the vessel carries two mounts which are a combination of a 30 mm chain gun (Wellington Bushmaster II) and an automatic grenade launcher (WI-GL21 Automatic Grenade Launcher.) Each turret can rotate 270 degrees and can elevate up to 60 degrees so the chain gun can fire at low flying aircraft. The 30 mm cannon fires heavy ramjet rounds with armor piercing warheads which inflict as much damage as most heavy rail guns.
- Two (2) WI-66L Long Range Missile / Rocket Launchers: Both launchers are mounted together as a single rotating mount. Mounted forward of the after Main Gun / Grenade launcher mount. Each launcher can carry a total of six long range missiles for a total of twelve long range missiles. No reloads are carried although launcher can be reloaded rapidly. While normally guided missiles are used, the launchers will sometime launch unguided versions to reduce the cost of ordinance used. The launchers can rotate 360 degrees.
- Two (2) WI-54S Short Range Missile Box Launchers (Retractable): Mounted on each side of the superstructure are a pair of box launchers which retract when not in use and when reloading. The launchers can rotate 360 degrees and have a 90 degree arc of fire. The missile launchers reload extremely rapidly and are ready to be fire on the next attack. The system is designed to be able to target multiple incoming missiles simultaneously.
Maximum Effective Range: 30 mm Chain Gun: 6,000 feet (1,830 meters). 40 mm Grenade Launcher: 3,000 ft (914 meters)
Mega Damage: 30 mm Chain Gun: 2D6x10 for a burst of 20 rounds, 3D6 for each round. 40 mm Grenade Launcher: 4D6 for Fragmentation with a blast area of 12 feet (3.6 meters) and 1D4x10 for Armor Piercing with a blast area of 3 feet (0.9 meter), burst of 10 rounds does 2D6x10 for Fragmentation with a blast area of 40 feet (12 meters) and 3D6x10 for Armor Piercing with a blast area of 8 feet (2.4 meters.)
Rate of Fire: Equal to the gunner's hand to hand attacks; each burst counts as one melee action.
Payload: 30 mm Chain Gun: 1600 round drum magazine (80 bursts) each 40 mm Grenade Launcher: 800 Rounds each
Maximum Effective Range: As per long range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: Varies with long range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), or six (6) missiles (both launchers fire together)
Payload: Twelve (12) Long Range Missiles.
Note: SAM style missiles are missiles that sacrifice payload for higher speeds, see Chris Curtis' modified missile table for specifics.
Maximum Effective Range: Varies by short range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details - SAM style missiles normally.)
Mega-Damage: Varies by short range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details - SAM style missiles normally.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2) or four (4) missiles each launcher. Launchers retract and are ready to fire for next melee attack.
Payload: Four (4) short range missiles each launcher for eight (8) total. The vehicle carries twenty-four (24) missiles as reloads for each launcher for a total of fifty-six (56) missiles total. If a launcher is damaged, those missiles cannot be accessed except manually. (Sometimes additional missiles are carried in the cargo hold for reloads)
- NBC Protection: While not full life support, the vessel is equipped with protection for the crew from most gas, radiation, and biological attacks.
- Nightvision Optics: Range: 2,000 ft (609 meters). Uses light amplification to make a picture. Emits no light but will not work in absolute darkness. System can be dazzled by sudden bright lights but does not physically blind the pilot.
- Thermo-Imager: Range: 2,000 feet (609 meters). Finds the infra-red radiations of things that are warm. Also enables pilot to see in smoke, shadows and darkness.
- Combat Computer/ Targeting Computer: Assist in the tracking of targets.
- Medium Range Radar: 100 miles (161.0 km), can identify 96 targets and track 48 as low as 500 feet (152.4 meters.)
- Mini-Hull Sonar System: Mounted under the bow of the boat. Sonar system has a range of around 5 nautical miles (5.8 miles / 9.3 km). This hull sonar system has both a passive and active system built in. Sonar system can track up to 8 targets at one time.
- E.S.M.: The system can detect another radar system at 125% of the range of the transmitting radar. This includes all active radar guided weapons.
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Macross®, Robotech®, Robotech: Sentinels®, SDF-1®, Southern Cross®, and Zentraedi® are registered trademarks owned and licensed by Harmony Gold USA, Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2010, Kitsune. All rights reserved.