TW-ACH-47V "Vampire Shredder" Armed Chinook:
Once he was known as Angel Ramirez, now he was simply known as master. He had been chosen as a master vampire by a vampire intelligence and he savored the power. He had been instructed by the Intelligence to gather as large an army as possible and to invade the north. He and his minions had gathered a pack of more than two thousand vampires. Nothing could stop him. He had killed thousands of humans on his march north but they were just food. He knew other master vampires who respected humans and used many of their tools but he did not see any need.
His army had taken a group of would be vampire hunters out last night and they had been armed with special weapons. It had not done them much good. Of interest was that one had told them under torture that the local villagers had called for help and that a mercenary company of vampire hunting techno-wizards was on their way. He was not worried, while he might lose a few wild and secondary vampires, he knew he could overpower any opponent and he could always make more vampires. Humans were weak and would learn their proper role as slave and prey.
He could hear a strange sound with his far better than human hearing. It sounded like some kind of thrumping. The sound appeared to be coming closer. Could this be the special team sent to take him out? He waited patiently and planned to crush whatever was coming in his direction. He would show them what fear was.
Suddenly six helicopters came into view. He knew what helicopters were but had never seen one before. These helicopters were strange and had two rotors with one in front and one in back. They were flying far faster than his vampires and were overhead before any of them could transform to bat form and get into the air. As they can in, the helicopters opened fire with water spraying weapons and rail guns with wooden rounds. More vampires were targeted by an incredibly bright spotlight carrying a holy symbol over it. The light cruelly burnt many of his minions. The helicopters had back doors which they opened. Huge amounts of waters cascaded from the open rear hatches onto his minions. More than a thousand of his minions were killed virtually instantly.
He commanded his remaining minions into the air. If they came back, he would simply overwhelm them with his remaining numbers. While he had lost huge numbers, the helicopters seem to have run out of water and he still had nearly a thousand vampires.
The helicopters turned as one and started speeding back to his hordes location. Suddenly, the helicopters began firing mini-missiles at the vampires flying toward the helicopters. The missiles were timed so that they would cover as large an area as possible. The missiles exploded with water and shards of wood flying everywhere. Most of the remaining vampires were struck by one or more shards of wood and were slashed with water. Many of the vampires were badly injured and some had been pierced through the heart.
The helicopters came in behind the missiles but instead of going through the cloud of vampire bats, they circled around and did not allow the vampires to get close. The being once known as Angel tried to direct the remainder of his horde to attack the helicopters. A few of his horde had picked up energy weapons and were shooting them at the helicopters but they had no effect. Water and wooden rail gun rounds sprayed from the helicopters one again and his minions continued to be mowed down. Suddenly, one of nose gunners noticed a lone vampire that seemed to be directing the rest. A torrent of high pressure water was turned in his direction and Angel writhed in agony as he was doused. After just a few seconds, the body began to melt and he was no more. All control on the vampires was lost and the remaining vampires began scattering. The crew figured some were likely to survive but they would get most of them and the few remaining would no longer be such a threat.
This helicopter is one of the most effective vampire hunting designs ever known. It is known by many by its nickname "Vampire Shredder" by many. While most helicopters are too slow to fight effectively against VTOL aircraft, helicopters are still far faster than vampires in their bat form. In many ways, a heavily armed helicopter is a perfect platform for vampire hunting especially when dealing with large packs of them. Even so, a crew needs to avoid going directly through a pack of flying vampires due to the fact that they can hand onto the helicopter and taking it down. In most cases, the helicopter will circle around the vampires while hosing down the vampires with its weapon systems. Water systems are effective against vampires in all forms including mist form.
If the helicopter has a weakness, it is to modern weapons. Enough modern weapons can take the aircraft down and it is not considered effective against conventional armies. The ability of impervious to energy does make the helicopter more immune to conventional attacks but rail guns and missiles are still deadly perils. The Vampire Shredder also does not have the speed to deal with fighters, sky cycles, and high speed flying power armors.
The Vampire Shredder is based of the armed version of the CH-47 transport helicopter. The armed version of the transport helicopter was flown during the Vietnam War in the Twentieth Century. Techno-Wizard, who often love pre-rifts designs, copied this helicopter for a vampire hunting gunship. While the helicopter looks externally like the pre-rifts design as much as possible, it has many internal changes and weapon systems were all switched to techno-wizard or advanced post rifts weapons. The helicopter also carried advanced sensors including techno-wizard optic that can see invisible objects including vampires in mist form. It is constructed from high tech alloys and is divided into separate air tight compartments designed to prevent vampires from entering the vehicle. The engines of the helicopter are fusion powered and have virtually unlimited range. Other power systems were considered but were rejected due to limited endurance. Special attention way payed to the rotor blades to make them as hard as possible to take out.
The helicopter has a crew of seven with the ability to carry an additional four passengers. The crew has a pilot, co-pilot (who often acts as communications as well), and five gunners. Often, four troops in techno-wizard power armor are carried and they are used to clean up once the main body has been eliminated.
The helicopter is armed with multiple different weapon systems. In the nose under the cockpit is a turret which contains a Wellington automatic grenade launcher and a high powered techno-wizard cannon. The grenade launcher has the ability to switch between anti-vampire shells and more conventional rounds to deal with body armor or high tech equipment of others recruited by vampires. Part of the mount is a high powered search light which has a holy symbol fitted to the front. The helicopter also has two high capacity forward firing mini-missile launchers which are controlled by the forward gunner. To either side of the body of the helicopter are two separately controlled mount. It was decided that the mounts would be mounted in turrets instead of hand aimed in doors to not allow vampires to enter this way. Each mount contains a Northern Gun rail-gun and a T.W. water rifle. Like the nose mounted grenade launchers, the rail guns are fitted with the ability to witch between anti-vampire rounds and conventional rounds with the flick of a switch. With the interlocking fields of fire from the weapon systems, the anti-vampire Chinook is protecting on virtually all sides. The rear troop and cargo ramp is retained but an interesting weapon is installed. A high powered water sprayer sprays water from the rear. While much narrower in effected area, the sprayer causes similar damage as techno-wizard storm flares to vampires the helicopter passes over. The problems are that the sprayer has a limited duration of about three minutes and then requires a whole hour to recharge. While recharging the tanks for the sprayer, none of the other water based weapon systems can be used. Like in the Van Helsing tank, the water systems are fed by a tiny rift to the elemental plane of water. Originally no defensive systems were fitted but after a few vampires and their servants fired missiles at the helicopter, it was decided to outfit them with anti-missile defense systems. The Techno-Wizard Chinook is outfitted with a magical firework style chaff and flare system which is identical to those carried on several techno-wizard designed fighters.
Author Note: Due to the fact the water comes from the Elemental Plane of Water, the water can be considered to affect vampires even by game masters (like the author) who only have holy water effect vampires.
Model Type: TW-AC-47V "Vampire Shredder" Chinook
Vehicle Type: Vampire Hunting Vehicle (Twin Rotor Helicopter)
Crew: 7 (Pilot, Co-Pilot, and five Gunners)
Troops / Passengers: 4
M.D.C. by Location:
|Chin Mounted Weapon Turret:||100|
|Automatic Grenade Launcher (Turret):||70|
|T.W. Water Cannon (Turret):||40|
|Side Mounted Combination Rail Gun / TW Water Rifle (4)||70 each|
|Side Mini-Missile Launchers (2):||50 each|
|Rear Cargo Bay Door:||100|
|Side Doors (2):||50 each|
| Forward Rotor:||80|
| Rear Rotor:||80|
|Landing Gear (3):||30 each|
| Main Body:||300|
 Destroying one of the blades of either rotor (Basically if a rotor takes more than half damage) will cause the helicopter to fly at half speed, wobble and is -6 to parry, -3 to strike, and -40% on piloting skill/maneuvers. Smart pilots will land as soon as possible. Completely destroying one of the rotors will knock the helicopter out of the sky. Roll under the piloting skill -30% for a successful crash landing (due to the reinforced nature of the modified Chinook, crew takes only 1/2 damage from an impact).
 Destroying the main body knocks the helicopter out of the sky and renders it completely useless.
Driving on Ground (Taxiing): Only possible for take offs and landings as well as for parking and storage. Speed is 40 mph (64 kph) when traveling and not on take off or landing. The helicopter can land and take off from primitive runways.
Flying: Hover to 200 mph (321.8 kph / 174 knots) with a ceiling of 20,000 feet (6,096 meters). The helicopter has great maneuverability and VTOL capabilities.
Maximum Effective Range: Effectively unlimited due to fusion engines. Aircraft's range is limited by pilot's endurance.
Height: 18.9 feet (5.8 meters)
Length: 102 feet (31.1 meters)
Width: 25.9 (7.9 meters) for fuselage; 60 feet (18.3 meters) with rotors
Weight: 25.7 tons fully loaded (23.3 metric tons)
Power Source: Fusion with an average life span of 10 years.
Cargo: 4 soldiers with full gear or 1200 lbs (544 kg) of cargo
Cost: 22 million for helicopter with all weapons systems
- Nose Turret: Mounted under the nose of the helicopter is a turret containing both an automatic grenade launcher and T.W. water cannon. Both weapons move together and can rotate up to 90 degrees to either side and up to 60 degrees down and 20 degrees upwards. Gunner can choose to use special optics that use video cameras instead of direct visuals to prevent vampires from attempting mind control.
- Automatic Grenade Launcher: Weapon is WI-GL21 Automatic Grenade Launcher mounted in the turret. The Grenade launcher has a special feed system to enable the gunner to switch between conventional rounds or special anti-vampire rounds with the flick of a switch. Most common conventional rounds are armor piercing. Anti-Vampire rounds are special shotgun style flechette rounds made from wood which the spell of "Ironwood" has been cast on the rounds.
- T.W. Water Cannon: Similar to the standard T.W. Water cannon but uses a tiny rift to the Elemental Plane of Water as its source and has an effectively unlimited charge. The rift needs to be reopened approximately every five years. The water cannon fires a powerful stream of water.
- Side Weapon Mounts (4): The helicopter has two mounts on either side for a total of four mounts. Each contains an NG-202 Rail gun and a T.W. rifle style water blaster that are mounted together. These weapons are controlled by an individual gunner and can be remote controlled like the weapons on the forward nose cannons. The weapon mount can move 60 degrees to either side and up or down.
- NG-202 Rail Gun: This gun is set up like the NG-202 on the Samson power armor with a greater rate of fire. Like the grenade launcher, the rail gun is modified so that it can switch between conventional ammo and wooden rounds for use against vampires. Anti-vampire rounds use a small amount of metal so that they can be accelerated by the rail gun.
- T.W. Rifle Style Water Blaster: Like the T.W. Water Cannon, this weapon pulls its water from the Rift to the Elemental Plane of water but draws very little water compared to the main water cannon.
- Side Mounted Mini-missile Launcher (2): Mounted on each side of the helicopter are tube style launchers fixed forward. These launchers are designed for both engaging vampires at long range and give the vehicle the ability to fight other armored vehicles quickly. Normally the vehicle will carry a mixture of ammunition types. The launcher is controlled by the gunner who also controls and operates the main turret.
- Holy Symbol Searchlight: In the front of the helicopter but behind the main weapon turret is a large search light. The search light can have a variety of holy symbols attached to it including a cross style lense cover. The search light can be controlled by either the forward gunner, pilot, or co-pilot. Often, the co-pilot will control the search light while the main gunner controls the main weapon systems. Unlike the main mount, the spotlight has the ability to rotate 360 degrees and can point down to 85 degrees. It can also point up to 30 degrees upwards.
- TW Water Bombing System: The helicopter has the ability to drop a massive amount of water from the rear of the helicopter and can effectively cut a swath through vampires. The effect on vampires is incredible and even master vampires have trouble withstanding the attack. The main problem with the weapon system is that it has a very finite duration. It also requires a full hour to recharge and none of the other water type weapons can be used during that time.
- Magical “Fireworks” Anti-Missile Chaff/Flare Dispenser (1): In many ways this system is similar to technological versions of the Chaff/Flare system. The anti-missile system works by combining three spells. The three spells are Fire Bolt, Apparition, and Telekinesis. The physical effects of the system are identical to the Triax Anti-Missile chaff but instead of being reloaded, it is recharged by spells.
Maximum Effective Range: Conventional Rounds: 3,000 feet (914 meters) Anti-Vampire Rounds: 600 feet (182 meters)
Mega-Damage: Conventional Rounds: 4D6 for Fragmentation with a blast area of 12 feet (3.7 meters) and 1D4x10 for Armor Piercing with a blast area of 3 feet (0.9 meters), burst of 10 rounds does 2D6x10 for Fragmentation with a blast area of 40 feet (12.2 meters) and 3D6x10 for Armor Piercing with a blast area of 8 feet (2.4 meters). Anti-Vampire Rounds: 8D6 S.D.C. to normal targets and 2D4x10+10 direct to hit points to vampires. Round does double damage to targets at close range (less than 25% of effective range), normal damage at medium ranges (25% to 50% of effective range), half damage at long range (50% to 75% of effective range, and quarter damage at extreme range (Greater than 75% of effective range). Burst of 10 rounds increase damage by 5 time to a single target or can inflict normal damage to 1D4 targets and have a 20% of hitting an innocent bystander if in the spray of the weapon. At long range (20 ft / 6 m or greater), a flechette will penetrate the heart on a 18 through 20 on a normal shot and on a 15 through 20 for a called shot. On close range attacks (20 ft / 6 m or closer), chances of hitting the heart are even better. Without a called shot, a flechette will penetrate on a 16 through 20. On a called shot, a flechette will penetrate on an 8 through 20. Burst shots cannot be used as called shots against vampires but the game can allow five rolls to see if a flechette lodges in the heart.
Rate of Fire: Equal to combined hand to hand attacks of gunner
Payload: 1,000 rounds total, usually divided up with 250 Conventional Rounds and 750 Anti-Vampire Rounds.
Maximum Effective Range: 300 feet (91 meters)
Mega-Damage: None but inflicts 3D6x10 direct to hit points on vampires, inflicts no damage to other targets but will knock them of their feet.
Rate of Fire: Maximum of six (6) bursts per melee
Payload: Effectively unlimited
Maximum Effective Range: Conventional Rounds: 4,000 feet (1200 meters) Anti-Vampire Rounds: 2000 feet (610 meters)
Mega Damage: Conventional Rounds: 1D6x10 M.D.C. per burst of 60 rounds (Does not fire single shot.) Anti-Vampire Rounds: 1D6 M.D.C. or 4D6x10 direct to hit points on vampires per burst of 60 rounds (Does not fire single shot.)
Rate of Fire: Equal to gunner's hand to hand attacks
Payload: 2,400 rounds each, usually divided up with 900 Conventional Rounds (15 bursts) each and 1,500 Anti-Vampire Rounds (25 bursts) each.
Maximum Effective Range: 600 feet (182 meters)
Mega Damage: None but inflicts 4D6 direct to hit points on vampires
Rate of Fire: Equal to gunner's hand to hand attacks
Payload: Effectively unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: Varies with mini-missile type; for Conventional Mini-Missiles normally armor piercing or fragmentation are carried (See revised bomb and missile tables for details on conventional missiles.) See New Armor and Weapons for Rifts - Others. for Anti-Vampire Mini-Missiles.
Mega Damage: Varies with mini-missile type; for Conventional Mini-Missiles normally armor piercing or fragmentation are carried (See revised bomb and missile tables for details on conventional missiles.) See New Armor and Weapons for Rifts - Others. for Anti-Vampire Mini-Missiles.
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), eight (8), or sixteen (16) missiles.
Payload: Launchers carries 24 mini-missiles each for a total of 48 mini-missiles (Normally 36 Conventional Mini-Missiles and 12 Anti-Vampire Mini-Missiles are carried).
Maximum Effective Range: 800 feet (244 meters)
Mega Damage: None but light inflicts 1D4x10 hit points to vampires for every melee the vampires are caught within the light of the holy symbol (also has a horror factor of 18)
Rate of Fire: Use Gunner's or Pilot's hand to hand attacks to determine how many targets can be targeted with the searchlight per melee.
Payload: Effectively unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: Water hits targets directly below helicopter but does spread out some. Effects an area about 30 feet (9.1 meters) on either side of the helicopter.
Mega Damage: Water inflicts 4D6x10 hit points to vampires for every half melee the vampires are caught within the rain storm.
Rate of Fire: When active, effects all targets entering area of effect
Payload: 3 minutes of water total. Requires one hour to recharge while no other water powered weapons can be used.
- 01-50 Enemy missile or missile volley detonates in chaff cloud - Missiles
are all destroyed.
51-75 Enemy missile or missile volley loses track of real target and veers away in wrong direction (May lock onto another target.)
76-00 No effect, enemy missile or missile volley is still on target.
Duration: 1D4 melee rounds.
Payload: 10 Uses before being recharged. The dispenser is recharged by the spells Apparition (20 P.P.E.), Fire Bolt (7 P.P.E.), and Telekinesis (8 P.P.E.).
- Shadow Meld (8th Level) - 10 P.P.E. or 20 I.S.P.
Impervious to Energy (8th Level) - 20 P.P.E. or 40 I.S.P.
Invisibility-Superior (8th Level) - 20 P.P.E. or 40 I.S.P.
The helicopter has all the standard features of a standard fighter (same as standard robot minus loudspeaker and microphone) plus these special features listed:
- Radar: 100 miles (160.9 km), can identify and track up to 48 targets simultaneously, It is also capable of Terrain Following for low altitude flight.
- Magical “See the Invisible” Optics: The helicopter has special optical systems with see the invisible on them. Same as spell and used at will. Has a 2,000 feet (610 meters) range. Can see forces, objects, and creatures which can turn invisible, or are invisible. Can also see vaporous beings and astral bodies.
- E.S.M.: Radar Detector. Passively detects other radars being operated.
- FLIR: Forward Looking Infrared. Allows pilot and weapons officer to get visuals on targets at night.
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2002 & 2003, Kitsune. All rights reserved.