Techno Wizard Converted Light Carrier "USS Cabot" (CVL-28):
Few ships have as interesting story to tell as the U.S.S. Cabot. The light carrier was built from a cruiser hull as an emergency light carrier in World War II. It was hit by two Kamikaze during the war but survived to be employed as an anti-submarine warfare carrier after the war. In the late 1960s, it was transferred to Spain after having sat for twelve years in "mothballs" and became Dedalo. It served the Spanish for twenty-two years and was decommissioned in 1989 to become a Museum ship in the United States. Unfortunately, the group trying to preserve the vessel were unable to pay off their debts. It was thought for a long time that the old light carrier would be scrapped but at the last minute she was rescued and was able to be preserved. She was the only World War II light carrier to be saved.
The Cabot was badly damaged during the coming of the Rifts and the wild magical energies but enough survived for a Techno-Wizard to find and determine he wanted to restore it. This Techno-Wizard had worked with the one who had restored the Olympia and knew the techniques that he used. He gathered a large team of Techno-Wizards, Operators, and most other types of spell casters that he could get to work on the project. Through months of casting of the spell “Mend the Broken” the mages working on the project were able to restore the ship to an almost new condition. The vessel then had advanced technology and techno-wizardry added which makes it the equal to many of the most advanced carriers built just before the coming of the Rifts. Since completing the modification on the Cabot, the techno-wizard who discovered the vessel took command and has joined up with the Olympia and a small fleet of techno-wizard modified vessels.
The Cabot had been modified greatly by the United States and Spain before the ship became a museum ship. Because the Cabot had been modified more from the original design than the Olympia, the techno-wizard decided to modify it further than the Olympia had been modified. Even so, the actual modifications were less than that which Golden Age Weaponsmiths has done with their vessels. Many of the individual components were purchased from the REEF in Florida because the organization was that they were the easiest to negotiate with and the REEF had better components than Golden Age Weaponsmiths.
Weapon systems were one of the areas than took most advantage of new technology. The ship originally had two additional 40 mm quad anti-aircraft mounts with one mount in the front of the ship and one in the aft. In each of these mounts, a short range missile launcher similar to those used on REEF naval vessels was mounted. This is primarily for use against other missiles but can also be useful against both aircraft and surface targets. The remaining nine 40 mm cannon mounts were twin mounts and were replaced by twin mount recoilless flack cannons that are copied from a New German Republic design and copied for sveral other Techno-Wizard Naval designs. Each mount has an independent power supply and independent laser targeting. Even though the ship is pretty well armed, it is not designed for direct combat and the weaponry is mainly designed for air defense roles. Fighters are suppose to be the carrier's true weaponry.
Two magical defense systems are believed to have been first carried on the Olympia although now carried on a number of different vessels. The first is called "fireworks." It is a magically generated chaff and flare system that the name is derived from the fact that it looks like fireworks are being set off when it is activated. The other system is much more powerful and is quite effective at taking out missiles. It creates a magical shockwave from the ship. The main limitation is that it can only be activated once per melee.
As with the U.S.S. Olympia, it was decided that the final step would be to convert the hull to a much stronger material with magic and only when the ship was just about finished was it converted. This was to make working on the ship easier than it would be it they had to cut through magically augmented steel plates. The ship was converted using the spell that had been developed for the USS Olympia and it that makes normal steel and iron the equal of the super alloys on rifts Earth. The flight deck was still partially wood and enchanted with the spell of "Ironwood."
On of the most debated conversions of the vessel was the propulsion system. The conversion to fusion reactors was seriously considered but it was that the original steam system would be converted to a techno-wizard steam system. This saved on having to cut into the ship and would be easier to repair in many cases. Each of the original four oil fired boilers are now magical fired and simply requires magical energy to be recharged. Top speed is unchanged from before having been converted to magical energies witha top speed of around thirty-two knots and the magical propulsion system gives a range of five hundred nautical miles between needing to be recharged. Another system carried that is identical to the Olympia is a special modification to the boiler system also enables the carrier to generate a cloud of fog to hide the ship. Originally it was planned that if the magical boilers do not work out well, the plan is to convert the ship to four fusion reactors. This is now not likely to occur.
Like with the USS Olympia, it was decided that in most cases technological sensor systems would be superior to magical sensors for main sensors systems. All of the original sensor systems were out of date and it was decided that they needed to be replaced. Various systems were purchased from the REEF in Florida and are generally more modern than the systems carried on the converted USS Olympia. These systems included a compact long range sensor system modeled after the pre rifts SPS-49 Radar System but lighter weight, and had new radar detection systems and jamming equipment added also based on Pre-Rifts systems. Modern communication gear was also mounted at the same time. The vessel was originally going to have no sonar systems added but concern over submarine attacks make the techno-wizard decided to go ahead and fit a hull sonar system as well which involved rebuilding the bow of the carrier to mount it.
A variety of enchantments were incorporated into the ship’s design when it was rebuilt. This included “See the Invisible” placed on several of the optics systems. Because much of the equipment of the ship, including the engines, now uses magical energy, the ship has a special magic energy "battery" that gathers P.P.E. when at a Ley Line or Nexus Point.
Before being brought back to the United States, the Dedalo carried seven AV-8A Matadors (Harriers) and twenty helicopters of various types. The flight deck was too small to carry any larger non VSTOL aircraft such as jet fighters and the new air group of the rebuilt T.W. carrier consisted of twelve TW-AV8B Merlin class Technowizard VTOL and ten other VSTOL aircraft (Mostly helicopters). It was decided that the aircraft used in Spanish service would be used instead of more modern aircraft designs. As well, the F-35B design is far larger and a much more limited number could be embarked. The only other option as far as aircraft would be to embark sky cycles. In addition to the aircraft embarked, the Cabot normally carries two hundred troops in Mystic Power Armor. There has been discussion given towards replacing some of these mystic power armors with more conventional power armors.
The crew of the vessel was reduced by over fifty percent compared to when it was in Spanish service. This was done by automating many of the systems on the ships and the magical conversion greatly reduces crew requirements although it does require a number of techno-wizards and other spell casters. While the original crew quarters were far better than those that were original on the Olympia, they were still cramped and considered far from comfortable. Because of the space from smaller ships crew, the crew quarters were rebuilt with far more space per crew member. It would have been virtually impossible to replace the environmental systems. Instead, the enchantment of “Sustain” was added to the vessel. This enchantment provides everything crew needs and the crew does not even need to eat under the influence of the magic.
(Author Note: When I first wrote the design up for the Techno-Wizard USS Cabot (CVL-28) had not yet been scrapped. Since the writeup was created, the vessel has been scrapped. I saw her myself in Spain many years ago. I decided to retain the writeup as a memorial to the carrier. In the fiction world of Pre-Rifts, just assume she was saved at the last minute.)
Model Type: TW-CVL28
Vehicle Type: Ocean, M.D.C. Converted Light Carrier
Crew: 488 (Original crew was 1,569) with usually at least 10 techno-wizard and 10 other spell casting types.
Troops: 200 pilots for Mystic Power Armors and 52 aircraft pilots / crews
Robots, Power Armors, and Vehicles:
|200||Mystic Power Armors|
|12||TW-AV8B Merlin class Technowizard VTOL|
|10||Other VSTOL aircraft (Mostly helicopters)|
M.D.C. by location:
| Elevators (2):||300 each|
| Flight Deck||1,500|
| Control Bridge:||600|
| Long Range Air Search Radar System (Superstructure):||100|
|Short Range Missile Launchers (2, Front and Rear):||150 each|
|Twin Barrel Flack Cannon Turret (9, Sides of hull):||280|
|“Fireworks” Magic Chaff and Flare Dispensers (8):||20 each|
|Outer Hull (per 40 foot / 12.2 meter area):||60|
| Main Body:||3,200|
 If both elevators are destroyed, no aircraft can be moved from the hangers to the main flight deck.
 If the flight decks are destroyed, only VTOL aircraft can be launched or land. VTOL aircraft are at -15% to piloting.
 If Control Bridge is destroyed, the ship can still be piloted from engineering but with a -15% to piloting rolls due to using emergency controls. Communication and sensor equipment are not concentrated on the bridge to reduce the effectiveness of bridge hits.
 Destroying Search Radar Tower will eliminate all forms of long range radar. Weapon mounts have backup short range sensor systems.
 Destroying the main body causes the ship to lose structural integrity, causing the ship to sink. There are enough life preservers and inflatable life boats to accommodate everyone on the ship.
Surface: 36.8 mph (32 knots/59.3 kph). The ship can operate at three quarters speed on half boilers and can operate at half speed on one boiler.
Range: 575.4 miles (500 nautical miles / 926 km) for each full recharge (requires 100 P.P.E.) Each boiler can propel the ship for up 125 nautical miles (requires 25 P.P.E. each). The ship carries six months worth of supplies on board. Life support is “Sustain” spell and has effectively virtually unlimited duration (Requires 24 P.P.E. or 48 I.S.P. and has a duration of ten days per activation.)
Draft: 26 feet (7.9 meters) not including sonar dome.
Length: 600 feet (182.9 meters) waterline, 622.5 feet (189.7 meters) flight deck
Width: 71.5 feet (21.8 meters) waterline, 109.3 feet (33.3 meters) flight deck
Displacement: 13,500 tons standard and 16,550 full loaded
Cargo: 800 tons (725.7 metric tons) of nonessential equipment and supplies. Each enlisted crew member has a small locker for personal items and uniforms. Ship’s officers have more space for personal items. Most of the ship’s spaces are taken up by aircraft, extra ammo, armor, troops, weapons, and engines.
Power System: Was original steam propulsion with four boilers and four shafts but has been converted to a Magical power supply. Techno-Wizard Electric Generators provide power aboard the vessel (Require four lightning bolts / 60 P.P.E. to recharge.)
Black Market Cost: Not for Sale - If sold, it would be worth upwards of 800 million credits.
- Nine (9 Twin Recoilless Anti-Aircraft Flack Cannon Turrets: The cannons are mounted in twins a protective turret on the sides of the ship with each cannon is identical to the TX-862FC with the exception that the weapon's ammunition bins are larger and are mounted in pairs. The cannons are in the same position as the twin 40 mm cannon mounts with five mounts on the port side and four mounts on the starboard side. The cannon turrets can rotate 360 and the barrel can tilt up to 90 degrees. It is normally used for Anti-Aircraft purposes but also works as excellent but fairly short range artillery.
- Two (2) Short Range Missile Launching Systems: Each launcher has a thirty-six short range missiles and fills a similar role to the Pre-Rifts RAM (Rolling Airframe Missile) missile launcher. These launchers primary purpose is to shoot incoming missiles. These missile launchers are mounted at the extreme bow and extreme fantail of the vessel in the weapon tubs that originally carried quad mounted 40 mm cannons. Missiles are usually 50% AP and 50% Plasma. Each launcher operates independently.
- Magical “Shockwave” Defense System: When it is activated, a circular energy wave is emanated from the ship in all directions. The blast is semi-spherical and effects travel upwards as well. The blast does not effect targets underwater. The enchantment is a longer ranged version of the eight level spell shockwave. Unfortunately, the spell can only be activated once per melee and requires magical energy every time it is activated. The defense system is mostly used to destroy incoming missiles. The system does not effect people and equipment on the deck of the ship
- Eight (8) Fireworks Anti-Missile Chaff/Flare Dispenser: In many ways this system is similar to technological versions of the Chaff/Flare system. When the system fires, it looks like fireworks firing. The anti-missile system works by combining three spells. The three spells are Fire Bolt, Apparition, and Telekinesis. The physical effects of the system are similar to the Triax Anti-Missile chaff but instead of being reloaded, it is recharged by spells. Only useful against missiles, not useful against torpedoes underwater.
Maximum Effective Range: 10,000 feet (3048 meters).
Mega Damage: Single Round: 4D6 M.D.C., Two Rounds 1D6x10, and Six Rounds 3D6x10. Double weapons damage if the gun is firing both cannons simultaneously
Rate of Fire:Equal to the gunners combined hand to hand (usually 5 or 6) each (Firing both barrels counts as one attack)
Payload: Total 1200 for each barrel (2400 total for mount). That is 200 volleys of 6 rounds, or 600 two round volleys.
Special Feature: The flack cannon has both and independent power supply and its own laser targeting and radar tracking system (especially useful if radar system is destroyed). Sensor has a range of 11,000 feet (3353 meters). The system can also be set on automatic which gives it +1 to strike and three attacks per melee and will fire two round burst. Gives +2 to strike when fired when properly manned.
Maximum Effective Range: As per short range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: As per short range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), six (6), or twelve (12) missiles (Each launcher operates independently.)
Payload: 36 missiles each launcher for a grand total of 72 missiles (Has 144 missiles for reloads kept in storage)
Maximum Effective Range: 1,000 feet (305 meters) in all directions
Mega Damage: 1D4x10 to all targets within radius of effect (S.D.C. objects will be completely destroyed). The system also inflicts knock as per the spell “Shockwave” on page 144 of World Book 16: Federation of Magic. (General Guideline: If the shockwave does not destroy the incoming missiles then missiles of medium range and smaller have an 88% of being knocked from the air, long range missiles have a 50% chance of being knocked out of the air, and cruise missiles have a 20% of being knocked out of the air)
Rate of Fire: Once per melee
Payload: One, requires 35 P.P.E. to be activated again
- 01-35 - Enemy missile or missile volley detonates in chaff cloud - Missiles
are all destroyed.
36-60 - Enemy missile or missile volley loses track of real target and veers away in wrong direction (May lock onto another target.)
61-00 - No effect, enemy missile or missile volley is still on target.
Duration: 1D4 melee rounds.
Payload: 10 Uses before being recharged. Each launcher is recharged by the spells Apparition (20 P.P.E.), Fire Bolt (7 P.P.E.), and Telekinesis (8 P.P.E.). The cost for all launchers to be recharged is 280 P.P.E. All launchers must be activated at the same time to operate correctly.
Maximum Effective Range: 6,000 feet (1,830 meters) in all directions
Effect: Produces a fog bank that obscures vision. Visibility is reduced to 60 feet inside the cloud and even with thermal sensors, a penalty of -2 to strike parry and dodge
Payload: Effectively Unlimited
- Sustain (10th Level) - 6 P.P.E. or 12 I.S.P. (24 P.P.E. or 48 I.S.P.)
Shadow Meld (10th Level) - 10 P.P.E. or 20 I.S.P. (40 P.P.E. or 80 I.S.P.)
Impervious to Energy (10th Level) - 20 P.P.E. or 40 I.S.P. (80 P.P.E. or 160 I.S.P.)
Invisibility-Superior (10th Level) - 20 P.P.E. or 40 I.S.P. (80 P.P.E. or 160 ISP)
The ship has all systems standard on a robot vehicle plus the following special features:
- Compact Long Range Air Search Radar: Similar to the Pre-Rifts SPS-49 Air Search Radar but is smaller and uses Rifts electronics. Long range air search radar system. Radar system has a range of 445 nautical miles (512.1 miles / 824.1 km). Radar system can track up to 128 targets simultaneously
- Hull Sonar System: Mounted under the bow of the ship and is similar to the Pre-Rifts SQS-53 Hull Sonar System. Sonar system has a range of around 16 nautical miles (18.4 miles / 29.6 km). This hull sonar system has both a passive and active system built in. Sonar system can track up to 16 targets at one time
- Advanced Integrated Electronic Warfare System (AIEWS): Combination of radar detection system (ESM) and an active jamming system. The system can detect another radar system at 125% of the range of the transmitting radar. In jamming mode, causes -25% to detection but when it is active, other vehicles/ bases can detect that it is jamming, and some missiles will home in on jamming signals. Jamming also causes a -4 penalty to all radar guided weapons.
- Magical “See the Invisible” Optics: The ship has several special optical systems with see the invisible on them. Same as spell and used at will with a 2,000 feet (610 meters) range. Can see forces, objects, and creatures which can turn invisible, or are invisible. Can also see vaporous beings and astral bodies.
- P.P.E. Battery: The ship has a special P.P.E. battery, unlike similar systems in Phase World, it does not generate magical energy but stores magical energy. The system will store up to 500 P.P.E. and can be stored by crew members and absorbs P.P.E. from Ley Lines and Nexus Points. It will absorb P.P.E. at the rate of 20 per hour on ley lines and 40 per hour on nexus points.
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2000, 2010, & 2011, Kitsune. All rights reserved.