Techno-Wizard "Calypso" Cruiser:
Only a few techno-wizards have been able to construct their own warships. In most cases, they rely on converting vessels. In many ways, Calypso is a cross between the two ideas. Little more than a hulk, the hull of a small merchant vessel was found in one of the shallow bays of Maine. From the design, the boat appears to have been a large yacht, one of the largest in the world. Most likely, the ship was wrecked by the magical storms but there are also hints that the ship was not completed before being wrecked.
While the entire topside was wrecked and the engines were unsalvageable, the hull was surprisingly intact. As such, the techno-wizard who found the ship decided that she would be worth rebuilding. It was decided to rebuild her as a cruiser / gunboat. The inspiration for the design seems to be the restoration of the U.S.S. Olympia by another group of techno-wizards. The name chosen for the vessel was "Calypso" and she is painted a gleaming white and is highly decorated.
Effectively, before she was rebuilt, she was stripped down to just her hull. The hull was of high strength composites and alloys and so was not effected by corrosion. The reactors were removed but the engines were able to be restored. Propulsion was two electric pump jets. The electrical engines were converted to run on techno-wizard energy, giving a range of one thousand nautical miles between recharging. As long as the crew is careful, the vessel has effectively unlimited range. Top speed is impressive for a civilian design, about twenty-five knots. Even though not designed for stealth, the ship is surprisingly quiet.
Weaponry of the Calypso is a combination of army and navy weapons. A pair of twin barrel army 155 mm guns make up the main battery. These are extremely powerful weaponry and can actually target aircraft. The ship has an automatic reloading system to maintain a very high rate of fire and has an advanced cooling system so that it does not overheat. Five hundred rounds per mount are carried. As secondary weaponry, four single barrel 76 mm gun mounts are carried with two on either side. These are a rapid fire navy mount and each mount has two hundred rounds. While much shorter range than the main battery, these are able to engage fast moving air targets. On each side are also two techno-wizard lightning blasters mounted in the superstructure. These are recharged by magical energy once a month but otherwise have unlimited payload.
In the bow, the Calypso mounts six heavy torpedo tubes. Each tube has five reloads for a total of thirty torpedoes. These torpedoes can be used against both surface ships and submarines. This was the only alteration made to her hull. Special techno-wizard torpedoes are often carried. She does have some missile weaponry. She has a single sixteen cell vertical launch missile battery which is basically a copy of the United States Mk 41 mount. Near the rear of the vessel, it is a short tactical type launcher able to fire long range and medium range missiles. Two long range or four medium range missiles can be carried in each cell. Usual load out is sixteen long range missiles and thirty-two medium range missiles.
As far as sensors, they are mostly taken from Pre-Rifts vessels as well. The radar system is a single rotating phased array panel, Extremely lightweight, it is a much easier to carry than a the four panel system carried on most advanced warships. The sensor system seems to be from a U.S. Navy patrol vessel. Even though a light weight system, it is able to track targets hundreds of nautical miles away and hundreds of targets at one time. For protection, the vessel has a powerful jamming array. The ship has a small hull sonar system from the original design and a towed array sonar system is also mounted.
For magical energies, the Calypso carries a techno-wizard battery. It does not automatically recharge normally but does recharge on Ley Lines and Nexus Points. The crew can also feed the battery with their own energies. Can be used for the lightning blaster weaponry, engines, or various other features of the vessel. Can also be used for spell casting. One of the main lines of defense for the cruiser is a techno-wizard “Shockwave” system. It is only mounted on a few vessels but is capable of knocking missiles right from the sky. There is also a magical “Fireworks” flare and chaff system to defend from incoming missiles. There is the enchantments of "Impervious to Energy," "Invisibility Superior," and "Sustain." The ship does not have full life support so sustain fill the basic role. Finally, the vessel is fitted with “See the Invisible” optics.
Crew is small, only a little over one hundred. The Calypso has a smaller crew than the Olympia although more than most techno-wizard destroyers. Crew usually has four techno-wizards and four other spell casters. Troop complement is about equal with crew compliment. Usually eighty of the troops are in techno-wizard power armors, split between standard mystic power armors and “Angel of War” techno-wizard armors. Four sky cycles are also embarked. While the original furnishing was unsalvageable, the ship’s quarters are still quite comfortable with most officers having their own staterooms and junior crew sharing one stateroom between four of them.
Model Type: TW-C-25
Vehicle Type: Ocean, Magically Enchanted Light Cruiser / Gunboat
Crew: 106 with usually at least 4 techno-wizard and 4 other spell casting types.
Troops: 100 (40 pilots for Mystic Power Armors, 40 soldiers in “Angel of War” Armor, 20 troops in normal armor, and 4 Sky Cycle crew)
Robots, Power Armors, and Vehicles:
|40||Mystic Power Armors (Or other Light Power Armors)|
|40||T.W. “Angel of War” Body Armors / Power Armors|
M.D.C. by location:
|Twin Barrel 155 mm Cannon Turrets (2, forward and aft):||350 each|
|155 mm Cannon / Howitzer Barrels (4):||80 each|
|Single 3 inch (76-mm)/62-cal DP Mk 75 (4, 2 each side):||180 each|
|Lightning Blaster Mounts (4, sides of superstructure):||50 each|
|Heavy 533 mm Torpedo Tubes (6 - Bow of destroyer):||80 each|
|Tactical Length 16 Cell Vertical Launch Missile Launchers (1):||160 each|
|“Fireworks” Magic Chaff and Flare Dispensers (4, superstructure):||20 each|
| SPX-1L Active Phased Array Radar System:||150|
| Main Body:||2,200|
 Destroying the Phase Array radar panel will destroy the ship’s main fire control systems but the vessel has backup systems with a shorter range (Equal to robot vehicle sensors.)
 If Control Bridge is destroyed, the ship can still be piloted from engineering but with a -15% to piloting rolls due to using emergency controls. Communication and sensor equipment are not concentrated on the bridge to reduce the effectiveness of bridge hits.
 Destroying the main body causes the ship to lose structural integrity, causing the ship to sink. There are enough life preservers and inflatable life boats to accommodate everyone on the ship.
Surface: 25 knots (28.8 mph/ 46.3 kph)
Range: 1,000 nautical miles (1,151.5 miles / 1,853.2 km) for each full recharge (requires four “Call Lightning” for 60 P.P.E. due to size of engines.) Life support is “Sustain” spell and has effectively virtually unlimited duration (Requires 24 P.P.E. or 48 I.S.P. and has a duration of six days per activation.) The cruiser carries about twelve months worth of supplies on board (“Sustain” provides all food requirements.)
Length: 454 feet 9 inches (138.61 meters) overall and 442 feet 3 inches (134.80 meters) at the waterline
Draft: 20 feet 6 inches (6.25 meters)
Width: 56 feet 6 inches (17.22 meters)
Displacement: 6,200 tons standard and 8,550 tons fully loaded
Cargo: 300 tons (272.2 metric tons) of nonessential equipment and supplies. Each enlisted crew member has a small locker for personal items and uniforms. Ships officers have more space for personal items. Most of the ship’s spaces are taken up by extra ammo, armor, troops, weapons, and engines.
Power System: Techno-Wizard Electrical Engine Conversion (Powered by “Call Lightning” spell)
Black Market Price: Not for Sale. If sold, it would be worth upwards of 500 to 800 million credits.
- Two (2) Twin Barrel 155 mm Howitzer / Naval Guns: Actually not naval guns but converted ground artillery pieces. It fires standard artillery shells and is normally fired indirectly on the target but can be fired as direct fire if necessary. Fire control does allow engaging air targets as well. The cannon is loaded by a automatic shell loading device, which is fed from a onboard magazine. The magazine is fully automated and keeps stock of the amount and type of rounds still available. It can switch between rounds at will. It uses modern Rifts artillery rounds and can use both non rocket assisted and rocket assisted rounds. Due to cooling systems, rate of fire can be maintained.
- Four (4) 3 inch (76-mm) 62-cal DP Mk 75 Naval Guns: The ship mounts four rapid fire three inch gun mounts with two on each side. The guns are very reliable and fires very rapidly (About 85 rounds per minute). The main weaknesses of the gun are its relatively short range and the fact it cannot use rocket assisted projectiles. The gun was carried on many ship classes around the world until well into the twenty first century. The guns can be used against other ships, ground targets, aircraft, and even missiles. These guns were among the smallest that could use a proximity fuse for their warheads.
- Four (4) Heavy Lightning Blasters: Mounted on the vessel are four lightning blasters. These are mounted on to either side of the superstructure. Each one is controlled by a gunner and have a 360 degree rotation and 85 degree arc of fire. Additional optics and fire control have been added to enable the system to track and target aircraft and missiles The lightning blasters have a slightly better range and have an unlimited payload compared to hand held lightning blasters. The weapon must be recharged once a month using the spells “Call Lightning”, "Energy Bolt", and 100 P.P.E.
- Six (6) 21 inch (533 mm) Heavy Torpedo Tubes: On the bow of the cruiser are six torpedo tubes. Tubes are 21 inches (533 mm) wide and torpedoes can be used against both surface ships as well as against submarines. For warheads, heavy torpedoes should be treated as having long missiles warheads. Cruiser carries thirty reloads for torpedoes. There are also special techno-wizard torpedoes available.
- One (1) Tactical MK 41 Vertical Launch Missile Launcher: Mounted behind superstructure is a single sixteen cell launcher. These are the smaller tactical version of the missile launcher and cannot carry the longer cruise missile. From the beginning, the launchers have been found to be very flexible and adaptable. The launcher was originally design for the Tomahawk and Standard SM-2 Missile. On Rifts Earth, the launchers have been adapted to hold two long range missiles or four medium range missiles per cell. Long range missiles are normally used against aircraft and other large targets, and medium range missiles are normally used against closer targets such as incoming missiles.
- Magical “Shockwave” Defense System: When it is activated, a circular energy wave is emanated from the ship in all directions. The blast is semi-spherical and effects travel upwards as well. The blast does not effect targets underwater. It is longer ranged version of the eight level spell shockwave. Unfortunately, the spell can only be activated once per melee and requires magical energy every time it is activated. It is mostly used to destroy incoming missiles. The system does not effect people and equipment on the deck of the ship
- Eight (8) Fireworks Anti-Missile Chaff/Flare Dispensers: In many ways this system is similar to technological versions of the Chaff/Flare system. When the system fires, it looks like fireworks firing. The anti-missile system works by combining three spells. The three spells are Fire Bolt, Apparition, and Telekinesis. The physical effects of the system are similar to the Triax Anti-Missile chaff but instead of being reloaded, it is recharged by spells. Only useful against missiles, not useful against torpedoes underwater.
Maximum Effective Range: 18.6 miles (30 km) for non rocket assisted and 24.9 miles (40 km) for rocket assisted projectiles.
Mega-Damage: By artillery round type (Go to Battlefield Artillery for Rifts for more information - Fragmentation 2D4x10, High Explosive 2D6x10, Armor Piercing 3D6x10, Plasma 4D6x10, and has a vast number of other type of rounds as well).
Rate of Fire: Four shots per barrel per melee (Firing both barrels counts as one attack - 8 rounds per turret per melee or 16 rounds total per melee round)
Payload: 1,000 rounds (500 rounds per weapon mount). Ship normally carries usually carries 125 High Explosive, 250 High Explosive Armor Piercing, 250 Plasma, 125 Rocket Propelled High Explosive, 125 Rocket Propelled High Explosive Armor Piercing, and 125 Rocket Propelled Plasma rounds. The ship will carry special rounds when employed in artillery roles.
Maximum Effective Range: 4.9 miles (4.3 nautical miles/8.0 km) for standard projectiles
Mega-Damage: High Explosive: 1D4x10 M.D.C. with 10 ft (3 m) blast radius per single shot and 3D4x10 M.D.C. with 20 ft (6.1 m) blast radius for three round burst. High Explosive Armor Piercing: 1D6x10 M.D.C. with 4 ft (1.2 m) blast radius per single shot and 3D6x10 M.D.C. with 8 ft blast radius for three round burst. Plasma: 2D4x10 M.D.C. with 12 ft (3.7 m) blast radius per single shot and 6D4x10 M.D.C. with 25 ft (7.6 m) blast radius for three round burst.
Rate of Fire: Equal to Gunners Hand to Hand (Three round bursts count as one attack).
Payload: 200 rounds each. Ship normally carries usually carries 75 High Explosive, 75 High Explosive Armor Piercing, and 50 Plasma for each mount.
Maximum Effective Range: 4,000 feet (1,220 meters).
Mega Damage: 1D4x10+10 per electrical blaster.
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined hand to hand attacks of the gunner (usually 4 or 5).
Payload: Effectively Unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: 40 miles (64 km)
Mega Damage: By Heavy torpedo warhead type (See revised Rifts torpedoes for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire torpedoes one at a time or in volleys of two (2), three (3), four (4), or six (6) torpedoes. Reloading takes one full melee round.
Payload: Six (6) Total [Has thirty (30) torpedoes for reloads.] Techno-wizard elemental torpedoes are often carried.
Maximum Effective Range: As per long range, or medium range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: As per long range, or medium range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), eight (8), or sixteen (16) missiles per melee and can be fired at multiple targets at the same time.
Payload: Sixteen (16) cells for missiles in each vertical launcher. Two long range missiles, or four medium range missiles may be carried per cell. Usually a total of sixteen long range missiles and thirty-two medium range missiles are carried. Ship carries no reloads.
Maximum Effective Range: 1,000 feet (305 meters) in all directions
Mega Damage: 1D4x10 to all targets within radius of effect (S.D.C. objects will be completely destroyed). The system also inflicts knock as per the spell “Shockwave” on page 144 of World Book 16: Federation of Magic. (General Guideline: If the shockwave does not destroy the incoming missiles then missiles of medium range and smaller have an 88% of being knocked from the air, long range missiles have a 50% chance of being knocked out of the air, and cruise missiles have a 20% of being knocked out of the air)
Rate of Fire: Once per melee
Payload: One, requires 35 P.P.E. to be activated again.
- 01-35 - Enemy missile or missile volley detonates in chaff cloud - Missiles
are all destroyed.
36-60 - Enemy missile or missile volley loses track of real target and veers away in wrong direction (May lock onto another target.)
61-00 - No effect, enemy missile or missile volley is still on target.
Duration: 1D4 melee rounds.
Payload: 10 Uses before being recharged. Each launcher is recharged by the spells Apparition (20 P.P.E.), Fire Bolt (7 P.P.E.), and Telekinesis (8 P.P.E.). The cost for all launchers to be recharged is 280 P.P.E. All launchers must be activated at the same time to operate correctly.
- Sustain (8th Level) - 6 P.P.E. or 12 I.S.P. (24 P.P.E. or 48 I.S.P.)
Impervious to Energy (8th Level) - 20 P.P.E. or 40 I.S.P. (80 P.P.E. or 160 I.S.P.)
Invisibility-Superior (8th Level) - 20 P.P.E. or 40 I.S.P. (80 P.P.E. or 160 I.S.P.)
The ship has all systems standard on a robot vehicle (Non-environmental) plus the following special features:
- SPX-1L "Lightweight" Phased Array Radar System: Unlike systems carried by most larger naval vessels, the radar system is comprised of a single array on top of the main mast. This system is smaller, lighter, and requires less power than a system of fixed panels. If allowed by the horizon, the system can track out to 347.59 nautical miles (400 miles / 644 km) and can simultaneously track and identify up to 288 targets at one time. The system controls missile launched from the long range missile launchers and the system can track and guide each individual missile to an individual target for up to 96 targets. If a target is eliminated, missiles are automatically guided to a new target. The system can also control missiles launched from other linked vessels as well and can also act as fire control for gun mounts. The system gives a +10% to read sensory rolls, +2 on initiative, and +1 to strike.
- Short Range Hull Sonar System: Mounted under the bow of the boat. Sonar system has a range of around 5 nautical miles (5.8 miles / 9.3 km). This hull sonar system has both a passive and active system built in. Sonar system can track up to 8 targets at one time.
- Advanced Towed Array Sonar System: The system is basically a long and very sensitive sonar system carried behind the ship on a long cable. Range of 100 miles (86.9 nm / 160.9 km). This towed array sonar system has both a passive and active system built in. Sonar system can track up to 64 targets at one time.
- Combination Radar Detectors and Active Jamming System: Combination of radar detection system (ESM) and an active jamming system. The system can detect another radar system at 125% of the range of the transmitting radar. In jamming mode, causes -25% to detection but when it is active, other vehicles/ bases can detect that it is jamming, and some missiles will home in on jamming signals. Jamming also causes a -4 penalty to all radar guided weapons.
- Quieted Propulsion System: The ship has specially designed propeller and an extremely quiet propulsion system to make from an extremely quiet vessel. Gives a -10% penalty to any Read Sensory Instrument rolls to detect this ship using sonar.
- Magical “See the Invisible” Optics: The ships has several special optical systems with see the invisible on them. Same as spell and used at will. 2,000 feet (610 meters) range. Can see forces, objects, and creatures which can turn invisible, or are invisible. Can also see vaporous beings and astral bodies.
- P.P.E. Battery: The ship has a special P.P.E. battery, unlike similar systems in Phase World, it does not generate magical energy but stores magical energy. The system will store up to 500 P.P.E. and can be stored by crew members and absorbs P.P.E. from Ley Lines and Nexus Points. It will absorb P.P.E. at the rate of 20 per hour on ley lines and 40 per hour on nexus points.
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2012, Kitsune. All rights reserved.