Techno-Wizard "Esmeralda" Frigate:
The Esmeralda was originally a Mexican Gunboat / Corvette built around the start of the Twentieth Century. Unlike earlier vessels, it was designed with stealth features. This was to allow the ship to better chase down drug boats. Maybe through a shady deal, maybe through simply being considered too old, the ship was declared surplus and sold. It was converted by a wealthy investor into a yacht. He had been an officer aboard the vessel before he made his billions and he decided that he wanted the vessel himself. He named the ship "Esmeralda" after his oldest daughter. The ship had luxury staterooms, a swimming pool, and all of the other luxuries which the rich expect. The new paints virtually made her immune to corrosion. There is rumor that the boat was used for far more than a rich man's toy. Possibilities include smuggling or even piracy against the drug dealers. He was murdered just a few years after he rebuilt the boat.
His daughter Esmeralda inherited the vessel and she kept it for a number of years. Eventually, her fortunes changed and she had to sell the ship. It was owned by several other wealthy individuals but eventually the fortunes of the ship changed. Due to neglect, much of the vessel's grandeur faded. The ship was eventually used for charter work including smuggling illegal aliens. In the end, the ship sat un-maintained and it is likely that if the Rifts had not occurred, it would have been scrapped. The magic storms which ravaged the world and swept most of the world clean. Somehow, the magic of the Rifts restored and preserved the ship.
While ships have been build after the coming of the Rifts, the vast majority are survivors from the coming of the Rifts. A bunch of explorers found the ship and tried to salvage it. One of the salvagers was a techno-wizard and used magic to restore the ship to virtually the condition it was before it fell on hard times. The ship's name was retained. Ships after the coming of the Rifts face dangers which the original owners would never have dreamed of and as a result, most have been re-equipped with weaponry which would have been only carried on warships before the coming of the Rifts. Sea monsters, pirates, and all sorts of deadly enemies rove the oceans. As such, the Esmeralda was reconverted into a warship. Some of the luxury accommodation were kept. Since being re-equipped, the ship has been used as an escort for less armed merchant vessels and has fought in some deadly battles.
The main engines of the ship are replaced by a powerful electrical engine which is powered through a techno-wizard power system. Instead of fuel, the spell of "Call Lightning" is cast into the engine and the ship has a range of one thousand miles for each casting. Speed originally was limited to around twenty knots but with the techno-wizard engine, the vessel has a top speed of twenty-eight knots. The hull is enchanted so that it can withstand damage which would have previously turned the vessel into scrap. New electronics are fitted including a longer range radar system than the radar system carried on most robot vehicles and a hull sonar system. The ship carries special techno-wizard optics to enable the crew to see the invisible. A techno-wizard battery is carried to power the ship's enchantments. For self defense, the frigate has a magical chaff and flare system and the enchantments of impervious to energy, chameleon, and invisibility.
For weaponry, the frigate mounts a three inch cannon on the bow. The support for the weapon system was never removed from the ship and it is highly possible that the investor mounted light weaponry for his own purposes. The three inch gun is similar to what was carried on many pre-rifts naval vessels and is mounted in the bow. Even though a pre-rifts design, it can be extremely devastating to both aircraft and other ships. On the superstructure is a short range missile launcher which is a RAM missile launcher carried on many pre-rifts vessels as well. A box missile launcher from the Iron Bolt Missile Vehicle is mounted on each side where the ship originally had a pair of boat bays. Each box launcher carries twelve long range missiles and one hundred and twenty mini-missiles. They extend out on platforms before firing. Special rocket booster torpedoes are often carried to give the vessel some abilities of self defenses against underwater.
Originally, when serving in the Mexican Navy, the ship required a crew of around seventy-six although when converted to a yacht, the crew was reduced to around fifty. The crew on the techno-wizard version is reduced further to around thirty. As might be expected, the captain and owner of the ship have the best of the staterooms. The ship had around sixteen marines as well. This is increased to two dozen with normally a dozen equipped with mystic power armors and a dozen in "Angel of War" armors. As well, the ship usually carries four sky cycles in the hanger instead of a helicopter.
Model Type: TW Converted PO-151 class patrol corvette
Vehicle Type: Ocean, Magically Enchanted Corvette
Crew: 28 with at least 2 techno-wizard and 2 other spell casting types.
Troops: 4 Sky Cycles Pilots, 12 Mystic Power Armor Pilots, and 12 Troops
Robots, Power Armors, and Vehicles:
|12||Mystic Power Armors (Or other Light Power Armors)|
|12||T.W. "Angel of War" Body Armors / Power Armors|
M.D.C. by location:
|3 inch (76-mm)/62-cal DP Mk 75 (Forward):||180|
|GDC Mk 49 Rolling Airframe Missile Launcher (Superstructure):||150|
|Missile Launcher Bays (2, Sides of Superstructure):||60 each|
|Multiple Launcher Rocket Systems (2, Bays):||150 each|
| Radar System (Superstructure):||80|
|"Firework" Magic Chaff and Flare Dispensers (2, superstructure):||20 each|
|Outer Hull (per 40 foot / 12.2 meter area):||60|
| Main Body:||650|
 Destroying Search Radar Tower will eliminate long range radar system. The ship still has backup systems equal to those on robot vehicles.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body destroys the ship's structural integrity, causing it to sink. There are enough flotation devices and inflatable life rafts to accommodate everyone aboard.
Surface: 32.2 mph (28 knots/ 51.9 kph)
Range: 1,000 nautical miles (1,151.5 miles / 1,853.2 km) for each full recharge. Can be recharged with four "Call Lightning" spells (60 P.P.E. total) which gives another 1,000 nautical miles (1,151.5 miles / 1,853.2 km) range.
Draft: 9.28 feet (2.83 meters) including sonar
Width: 34.45 feet (10.5 meters)
Length: 244.09 feet (74.4 meters)
Displacement: 1,050 tons light and 1,200 tons fully loaded
Cargo: 50 tons (45.36 metric tons) of nonessential equipment and supplies. Each enlisted crew member has a small locker for personal items and uniforms. Ships officers have more space for personal items. Most of the ship's spaces are taken up by extra ammo, armor, troops, weapons, and engines.
Power System: Techno-Wizard Electrical Engine Conversion - Replaces Original Diesel Engine (Powered by "Call Lightning" spell)
Black Market Price: Not for Sale, would likely cost one to two hundred million credits if sold.
- One (1) 3 inch (76-mm) 62-cal DP Mk 75 Naval Gun: The ship mounts a rapid fire three inch gun on the front of the vessel. The gun is very reliable and fires very rapidly (About 85 rounds per minute). The main weaknesses of the gun are its relatively short range and the fact it cannot use rocket assisted projectiles. The gun was carried on many ship classes around the world until well into the twenty first century. The guns can be used against other ships, against ground targets, and against aircraft.
- One (1) GDC Mk 49 Rolling Airframe Missile Quad Launcher: This is a Pre-Rifts RAM missile launching system and has been modified to use 21 Short Range Missiles. This missile mounts main purpose is for inner anti-missile point defense and was originally designed to deal with cruise missiles. Short Range Missiles are usually a mixture of 50% Armor Piercing and 50% Plasma. Launchers can lock onto multiple targets at the same. The systems missile launchers can target up four targets and can fire a volley up to twice per melee.
- Two (2) Multiple Launcher Rocket Systems: The ship mounts a launcher system on either side of the superstructure where the ship originally carried boats. The launchers extend out from the bays when fired. Weapon mounts are identical to those carried on the Iron Bolt Missile Vehicle.
- ML-12-Long Range Missile System: This box launcher holds two rows of six missiles, which can be fired in any order the gunner chooses. The launcher can rotate 360 degrees and can be raised up to 60 degrees. Usually, a number of rocket boosted torpedoes are carried, usually two in each loading (See Revised Rifts Torpedoes for details.)
- MLRS-120 Multiple Launcher Rocket System: The MLRS-120 has an internal auto-loading magazine that holds 120 mini-missiles! The launcher can rotate 360 degrees and can be raised up to 60 degrees.
- Two (2) Fireworks Anti-Missile Chaff/Flare Dispensers: In many ways this system is similar to technological versions of the Chaff/Flare system. When the system fires, it looks like fireworks firing. The anti-missile system works by combining three spells. The three spells are Fire Bolt, Apparition, and Telekinesis. The physical effects of the system are similar to the Triax Anti-Missile chaff but instead of being reloaded, it is recharged by spells.
Maximum Effective Range: 4.9 miles (4.3 nautical miles/8.0 km) for standard projectiles
Mega-Damage: High Explosive: 1D4x10 MDC with 10 ft (3 m) blast radius per single shot and 3D4x10 MDC with 20 ft (6.1 m) blast radius for three round burst. High Explosive Armor Piercing: 1D6x10 MDC with 4 ft (1.2 m) blast radius per single shot and 3D6x10 MDC with 8 ft blast radius for three round burst. Plasma: 2D4x10 MDC with 12 ft (3.7 m) blast radius per single shot and 6D4x10 MDC with 25 ft (7.6 m) blast radius for three round burst.
Rate of Fire: Equal to Gunners Hand to Hand (Three round bursts count as one attack).
Payload: 80 rounds. Ship normally carries usually carries 20 High Explosive, 30 High Explosive Armor Piercing, and 30 Plasma.
Maximum Effective Range: As per short range missile type (Go to Revised bomb and missile table.)
Mega Damage: As per short range missile type (Go to Revised bomb and missile table.)
Rate of fire: One at a time or in volleys of two or four and can be used up to twice per melee.
Payload: 21 missiles.
Maximum Effective Range: 500 to 1000 miles (800 to 1600 km), depending on missile type (Go to Revised bomb and missile table.)
Mega-Damage: Varies with long range missile type (Go to Revised bomb and missile table.)
Rate of Fire: One at a time or in volleys of 2, 4, or 6 missiles. Launcher is reloaded from the magazine in 1 melee round.
Payload: 12 long-range missiles each launcher
Maximum Effective Range: One mile (1.6 km)
Mega-Damage: Varies with mini-missile type. Typically armor piercing and plasma (Go to Revised bomb and missile table.)
Rate of Fire: One at a time or in volleys of 2, 4, 6 or 10 mini-missiles per melee round. The Launcher is reloaded from the magazine automatically and has a full payload ready for the next melee round.
Payload: 120 mini-missiles each launcher.
- 01-30 Enemy missile or missile volley detonates in chaff cloud - Missiles
are all destroyed
36-60 Enemy missile or missile volley loses track of real target and veers away in wrong direction (May lock onto another target)
61-00 No effect, missile is still on target
Duration: 1D4 melee rounds.
Payload: 10 Uses before being recharged. Each launcher is recharged by the spells Apparition (20 P.P.E.), Fire Bolt (7 P.P.E.), and Telekinesis (8 P.P.E.). The cost for all launchers to be recharged is 70 P.P.E. All launchers must be activated at the same time to operate correctly.
- Chameleon (6th Level) 6 PPE or 12 ISP (24 PPE or 48 ISP)
Impervious to Energy (6th level) 20 PPE or 40 ISP (80 PPE or 160 ISP)
Invisibility-Superior (6th Level) 20 PPE or 40 ISP (80 PPE or 160 ISP)
The ship has all systems standard on a robot vehicle plus the following special features:
- Long Range Radar: Long range air search radar system. Has a 100 mile (86.8 nautical miles / 160.1 km) range and can track up to 96 different targets and target up to 24 simultaneously.
- SQS-56 Hull Sonar System: Mounted under the bow of the ship. Sonar system has a range of around 5 nautical miles (5.8 miles / 9.3 km). This hull sonar system has both a passive and active system built in. Sonar system can track up to 16 targets at one time.
- E.S.M.: The system can detect another radar system at 125% of the range of the transmitting radar.
- Radar Defeating Profile: The ship superstructure is designed so that the radar profile of the ship is reduced. Because of this, attempts to detect the ship using radar are made with a -10% penalty to read sensor rolls when attempting to detect this ship. Go to General Detection Penalties for more information on penalties and bonuses to use with stealth.
- See the Invisible Optics: The ship has several special optical systems with see the invisible on them. Same as spell and used at will. 2,000 feet (610 meters) range. Can see forces, objects, and creatures which can turn invisible, or are invisible. Can also see vaporous beings and astral bodies.
- P.P.E. Battery: The ship has a special P.P.E. battery, unlike similar systems in Phase World, it does not generate magical energy but stores magical energy. The system will store up to 500 P.P.E. and can be stored by crew members and absorbs P.P.E. from Ley Lines and Nexus Points. It will absorb P.P.E. at the rate of 20 per hour on ley lines and 40 per hour on nexus points.
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, and Xiticix TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2007 & 2011, Kitsune. All rights reserved.