T.W. "Hawke" class Light Ley Line Schooner / Ocean vessel:
There is a small industry of various Ley Line vessels, some large and others comparatively small. Among the largest is New Ironsides with a variety of smaller vessels. Ley Line vessels can be incredibly expensive with the largest being only able to be afforded by a few. One of the smallest vessels which is still considered a warship is the "Hawke" class light schooner. The Hawke class does not appear to be based on any actually historic vessel although it seems to barrow design features from a variety of vessels. It is just a bit larger than many vessels which were considered gunboats. The ship is even smaller than the Vixen class Ley Line schooner.
Like many Ley Line vessels, these ships can be considered works of art. The techno-wizards who make these vessels can only be considered craftsman of the highest order. The plans for these ships is believed to be incredibly detailed and while the creators are quiet about their work, some speculate that all plans are done on paper instead on a computer. As well, it is said that all parts are hand carved instead of done through a computerized cutting and carving system. The suggestion is that it is more authentic that way as well as making the ships more unique than they would otherwise be.
As they are smaller than the frigates and sloops, the schooner designs are more affordable than the larger designs although they are still far from really being cheap. These ships are also more common than their larger brethren although they still are produced in tiny numbers. In fact, the techno-wizards producing these ships cannot keep up with demands. It is believed that these ships require almost three to four months to build, just a little less than the Vixen class ley line schooner.
As previously mentioned, these ships are built using traditional methods as much as possible. One item with construction is that some of the wood is magically created through elemental forces. In some cases, the wood used for the ships simply is not available otherwise. This includes many of the longer planks and the wood of the masts. Once the ship is complete, the wood is also enchanted through the spell "Ironwood" to make it stronger. If not enchanted, these ships could be destroyed by a single hit from virtually any modern weapon. As well, the enchantment makes the ship virtually immune to corrosion. While primarily designed to operate on Ley Lines, these ships are built so that they are quite seaworthy for their size. Some techno-wizards creating Ley line ships are not as careful. Such ships may be so poorly crafted that they may sink if someone tries to land one in the water. It is believed that the Hawke class are actually tested in the water to make sure that they are properly built. Only then is it believed that they ships are enchanted to be able to fly on a Ley Line.
The main weaponry of this ship are eight guns with four on each side and one gun able to be maneuvered to fire forward and one able to be fired behind the schooner. This is less than the slightly larger Vixen class which carries a total of twelve mounts. Due to weight limitations, each gun is a shorter range carronade although they are of the eighteen pound variety. These carronades inflict incredible damage when within range. Each uses telekinesis to fire the cannon balls instead of gun powder. This has several advantages including that the cannons can fire faster and there is no risk of explosion. Several different types of ammunition can be fired from the mounts including thunderball, thunderfire, and enchanted grape shot. The ship also carries a single telekinetic Gatling mount. This mount is primarily used for defense against missiles and other small targets. The ship has a variety of other enchantments including a force field to help protect the vessel. The force field can be activate up to three times per day. Also, to power the enchantments, the ship has a powerful magic energy battery.
All Ley Line ships based on old wooden naval vessels require comparatively large crews. Still, it requires a much smaller crew than most larger Ley Line vessels which are similar. The Hawke requires a crew of around sixty five. In addition, the ship is designed to be able to carry up to a dozen troops. Some are all may be equipped with mystic power armor or other magic. Wooden ships during the age of sail were incredibly primitive as far as crew quarters. Through magic, the attempt was made to make this still seem to be part of the ship but to to actually give comparatively decent sanity and other facilities. The crew still sleeps in hammocks although the officers have more space. Officer's quarters are almost luxurious and are located in the fantail.
Model Type: "Hawke" Ocean & Sky Ship
Vehicle Type: Ocean & Sky Sail Light Schooner
Crew: 65 with usually at least two techno-wizard, two air warlocks, and two other spell casting types recommended but not absolutely needed.
Troops: 12 (Normal of 4 pilots for Mystic Power Armors, 8 soldiers in body armor)
Robots, Power Armors, and Vehicles:
|12||Mystic Power Armors (Possible)|
M.D.C. by location:
|18 pounder Carronades (8, 46 each side):||100 each|
|T.W. Gatling Cannons (1):||100 each|
| Foremast (Forward Mast):||160|
| Mizzenmast (Rear Mast):||200|
|Sails (10):||40 each|
| Main Body:||1,150|
| Armor of Ithan Force Field (Three Times per Day):||400|
 Destruction of a mast reduces ocean and ley line speed by 1/2 for each mast lost.
 Destroying the main body causes the ship to lose structural integrity, causing the ship to sink if in the water. There are enough life preservers and inflatable life boats (one of the few items of technology added) to accommodate everyone on the ship. The ship does have the Techno-Wizard addition of impervious to energy. Specifics are listed in Weapon systems.
 As per the spell - Magic, fire, lightning, and cold all inflict one-half damage. Each activation lasts for 30 minutes.
Ocean Surface: 15 knots or higher depending on the wind (approximately 17.27 miles per hour or 28 km per hour)
Ley Lines: 150 mph (240 kph). Requires the Telekinesis Spell (double cost at 16 P.P.E.) or 20 I.S.P. to initiative take off and Telekinesis Spell (double cost at 16 P.P.E.), Levitate Spell (double cost at 10 P.P.E.) or 20 I.S.P. to land the ship. Otherwise, the ship will float away slowly (2 mph) at about 100 feet (30.5 meters) off the ground. The ship can only travel through the air along ley lines and can switch directions at ley line nexus points.
Height: While Flying, maximum of 1000 feet (305 meters) and minimum of 200 feet (61 meters) without landing.
Maximum Effective Range: Effectively Unlimited. The ship carries two months worth of supplies on board.
Length: 78 feet 8 inches (23.98 meters)
Beam: 21 feet 6 inches (6.55 meters)
Draft: 9 feet 2.5 inches (2.81 meters)
Displacement: 105 tons
Cargo: 15 tons of nonessential equipment and supplies. Most of the ships spaces are take up by extra ammo, armor, troops, weapons, sails, and other equipment.
Power System: Magic and sails.
Market Cost: 65 million credits, there is a long waiting period and the cost to get one will often involve many extra costs as well.
- Eight (8) T.W. 18 Pounder Carronades: Four can fire to either side with one carronade movable to fire forward and one able to be fired aft. Carronades fire a larger ball for a smaller cannon when compared to long guns but have a reduced range when compared to long cannons. The cannon balls look like standard Iron balls but in reality come in three different types. The first is Thunderball which inflict considerable damage and creates a thunderclap that effects everyone within 10 feet (3 meters) of the cannon balls impact. The second is called Thunderfire and it erupts into fireball and inflicts greater damage than Thunderball ammunition but does not have the Thunderclap. The Third type of ammunition is Magic Grape Shot. This shot is designed to be used against a wide area and is very effective against personnel. The ship has two mounts which can fire with the broadside or act as bow chasers. The cannons use telekinesis to throw the rounds and does not use any gunpowder.
- TK Gatling Cannon (1): This cannon is the only know non-period weapon on the ship. The cannon is mounted near the bow of the vessel on the main deck and can fire forward as well as to the side. Mounts have been enchanted by a series of spells so the cannons act as a more powerful version of the TK Machine gun. This increases the weapons damage and instead of being reloaded, the cannons must be recharged by the spell Telekinesis and 100 P.P.E. once per month. The cannon does full damage to targets that are impervious to energy. Additional optics and fire control have been added to enable the system to track and target aircraft and missiles
- Techno-Wizard Modifications: The Hawke has the following Techno-Wizard Modifications built into the ship. These require P.P.E. or I.S.P. from the ships crew or P.P.E. battery.
Maximum Effective Range: 3,000 feet (914.4 meters)
Mega-Damage: Thunderball Ammunition: 1D6x10 per round or 4D6x10 for a complete broadside. Each Thunderball will also release a thunderclap as per the spell (thunderclap effects a 10 feet (3 m) radius. Thunderfire Ammunition: 2D6x10 per round or 8D6x10 for a complete broadside. The Thunderfire will often also ignite flammable materials. Magical Grape Shot Ammunition: 6D6 per round or 2D6x10+10 for a complete broadside. Each Magical Grape Shot will effect all targets within a blast radius of 20 feet (6 m).
Rate of Fire: One shot per cannon per melee (all cannons can be fired at the same time). Cannon can be loaded and fired quickly due to not needing to load gunpowder.
Payload: 400 rounds (50 per cannon), 200 rounds of Thunderball ammunition, 100 rounds of Thunderfire ammunition, and 100 rounds of Magical Grape Shot ammunition
Notes: If the cannons are used against small targets (personnel, aircraft, missiles, etc) the cannons have a -4 penalty to strike (Grape shot has +4 to strike and can be used against small targets) with no bonuses to strike to strike for hand to hand or physical prowess. As well, only a single cannon can be targeted against a small target.
Maximum Effective Range: 4,000 feet (1,220 meters).
Mega Damage: 12D6
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined hand to hand attacks of the gunner (usually 4 or 5).
Payload: Unlimited, although the spells (100 P.P.E. each cannon) on each must be renewed every month whether the cannon have been used or not .
- Impervious to Energy (8th Level) - 40 P.P.E. or 80 I.S.P.
Invisibility-Superior (8th Level) - 40 P.P.E. or 80 I.S.P.
- Magical “See the Invisible” Optics: The ships has several special optical systems with see the invisible on them. Same as spell and used at will. 2,000 feet (610 meters) range. Can see forces, objects, and creatures which can turn invisible, or are invisible. Can also see vaporous beings and astral bodies.
- P.P.E. Battery: The ship has a special P.P.E. battery, unlike similar systems in Phase World, it does not generate magical energy but stores magical energy. The system will store up to 300 P.P.E. and can be stored by crew members and absorbs P.P.E. from Ley Lines and Nexus Points. It will absorb P.P.E. at the rate of 10 per hour on ley lines and 20 per hour on nexus points.
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2008, Kitsune. All rights reserved.