T.W. "Holy Vengeance" Vampire Hunting Troll Power Armor:
Before the coming of the Rifts, the Troll power armor produced by NORINCO in China was one of the most capable power armors. Vast numbers were exported to Third World Countries. It was quite a bit larger than the American SAMAS power armor but carried quite a bit more firepower and armor. Like with the SAMAS, vast numbers were destroyed with the coming of the Rifts. Still, a surprising number have survived. In Central America, the often get pitted against vampires in the tide of trying to hold the fell creatures back.
Recently, a number of new trolls power armor have been built. While not as capable as the original Troll, Chipwell Industries has began producing a new model as well. It is slower, less heavily armored, and lighter armed than the original model but is still a power armor to be reckoned with. Sales of the new Troll have been considerable. Even though not as powerful as the original Chinese version, many of these have found their way into the front lines against vampires as well. While there is also a Northern Gun version of the Troll, none are known to be operated against vampires.
As might be expected, a great many of the Trolls, both original Chinese models and new Chipwell versions, have been specially modified to be more effective at fighting vampires. One of the most effective versions is commonly known as "Holy Vengeance" and is a specially modified version using techno-wizardry. There are seveal other techno-wizard designs which have been developed to fight vampires. These include the Van Helsing Vampire Fighting Vehicle, the "Vampire Shredder" specially armed helicopter, and the techno-wizard variant of the CAI-50 Challenger combat armor. The last design is developed from a Chipwell design but is still highly effective. There are versions of the "Holy Vengeance" Troll which use the original Chinese version and others which use the Chipwell suit as a basis. Of course, crews prefer the more powerful Chinese version of the Troll.
When converted to the vampire hunting "Holy Vengeance" version, the Troll is virtually stripped to its frame and completely rebuilt. Many Pre-Rifts "Trolls" are already in poor shape and need to be completely rebuilt anyway. Still, when the models are rebuilt, both the Chinese and Chipwell models are almost identical except in terms of armor and top speed. All weapon systems are replaced by weapons which are far more effective against vampires and a number of additional defenses are added in to protect the pilot from vampires. The design is highly distinctive with a silver mask replacing the windows in the front of the power armor. It looks like the face you might see on an ancient statue. Many consider the face to be that of God putting down his holy vengeance on vampires. It actually has been known to cause fear in vampires facing the armor. As well, the Troll is covered in crosses to make it even more fearsome.
In order to make the power armor more survivable in combat against vampires, there is a special "Invincible Armor" force field. This along with other enchantments on the armor can pull their magic power from a magic energy talisman built specially into the armor as part of the crown on the silver face. Other enchantments include invisibility superior and a special "see the invisible" optics. For protection against vampire's gaze taking control of the pilot, the pilot uses a camera system instead of looking directly out into the world. On the front of the power armor is a powerful light with a cross for use against vampires. Of course, the Chinese version of the Troll has full sensor and life support systems of a power armor although the Chipwell design is limited in its standard features and sensor systems.
As previously stated, all weapon systems are replaced in the power armor. On the right forearm is a special rapid fire techno-wizard pneumatic-style bolt launcher. While not all that effective against normal targets, it is highly effective against vampires. The launcher is designed to be able to fire three shot bursts of spikes to be even more effective than might be expected. On the left forearm, the heavy power armor carried a Wellington Industries automatic grenade launcher which has two magazines which can be changed with the flip of a switch. Most pilots will have one magazine with anti-vampire with the second magazine with conventional rounds for standard targets. Under the automatic grenade launcher, the power armor has a techno-wizard water cannon. Above each wing are five mini-missiles tubes for a total of ten mini-missiles carried. The type of missile carried is up to the operator. Some prefer purely standard missiles while others prefer a mixture of conventional and anti vampire missiles. A few operators even carry pure anti-vampire missiles. Mounted on the wings is also a number of special launchers for techno-wizard flares. The armor normally carries a number of both globe of daylight flares and techno-wizard storm flares. The armor has a final weapon. The tip of each wing is covered with a silver blade which has been permanently enchanted by the spell "Enchant Weapon: Lesser." Some pilots specialize in sideswiping vampires with the blade although many consider those pilots to be slightly suicidal.
|Model Type:||KRS-12-AV||Converted Chinese (NORINCO) Version|
|CAHPA-200-AV||Converted Chipwell Version|
Horror Factor: 14 (Against Vampires Only)
|M.D.C. By Location:||Chinese Version:||Chipwell Version:|
| Shoulder Mini-Missile Launchers (10):||20 each||20 each|
|T.W. Automatic Bolt Launcher (Right Arm):||40||40|
|T.W. Water Cannon (Left Arm):||25||25|
|Automatic Grenade Launcher (Left Arm):||30||30|
|Holy Symbol Spotlight (Front):||20||20|
|T.W. Flare Dispensers (2, Wings):||20 each||20 each|
|Silver Enchanted "Wing Blades"(2):||300 each||300 each|
| Shoulder Wings (2)||60 each||40 each|
|Twin Air-Intake Jets (2; Sides of Cockpit)||60 each||40 each|
|Main Rear Jets (4)||80 each||50 each|
| Hands (2):||40 each||25 each|
|Arms (2):||140 each||80 each|
|Legs (2):||200 each||120 each|
|Reinforced Pilot's Compartment:||100||80|
| Main Body||380||320|
| "Invincible Armor" Force Field:||200||200|
 These locations are small and difficult targets to strike, requiring the attacker to make a "called shot," but even then the attacker is -4 to strike.
 Destroying one wing will make flight impossible. However, even with no wing(s) the War Troll Power Armor can make jet powered leaps and hover stationary above the ground.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body will shut the unit down completely, rendering it useless.
 "Invincible Armor" force field requires 30 P.P.E. to activate (comes from either the wearer or the P.P.E. Storage Battery) and has a duration of twenty-four minutes (96 melee) per activation. Regenerates 1D6 M.D.C. per melee. See spell for further details.
Running: 40 mph (64.4 kph) maximum. Note that the act of running does NOT tire out its operator. Cruising speed is a more cautious 30 mph(48.3 kph).
Leaping: Chinese Version: The heavy power armor cannot leap without thruster assistance. With jet assistance, the Troll can leap up to 40 feet (12.2 meters) high and can 80 feet (24.4 meters) across without actually attaining flight. Chipwell Version: The heavy power armor cannot leap without thruster assistance. With jet assistance, the War Troll can leap up to 30 feet (9.1 meters) high and can 60 feet (18.3 meters) across without actually attaining flight.
Flying: Chinese Version: The wings and thrusters enable the Troll heavy power armor to hover stationary in mid-air or fly. Maximum flying speed is 161.6 mph (260 kph), but cruising speed is considered to be 99.4 mph (160 kph). Maximum altitude is limited to about 820.2 feet (250 meters). Chipwell Version: The wings and thrusters enable the War Troll heavy power armor to hover stationary in mid-air or fly. Maximum flying speed is 124.3 mph (200 kph), but cruising speed is considered to be 74.6 mph (120 kph). Maximum altitude is limited to about 656.2 feet (200 meters).
Maximum Effective Range: Chinese Version: Conditionally unlimited. The fusion reactor gives power for years of service, but the jet thrusters get hot and need to cool for an hour after a maximum of two hours of flight when traveling at speeds above cruising, and five hours at or below cruising speed. Chipwell Version: Conditionally unlimited. The fusion reactor gives power for years of service, but the jet thrusters get hot and need to cool for an hour after a maximum of four hours of flight when traveling at speeds above cruising, and eight hours at or below cruising speed.
Underwater Capabilities: Chinese Version: Although not designed for underwater use, it can walk along the bottom of the sea at about 25% of its normal running speed. Using the jet thrusters, the Troll can travel on the surface of water at 35 mph (56 kph/30 knots), underwater at 25 mph (40 kph/22 knots) or fly above the water surface at normal speeds. Chipwell Version: Due to the fact that the cockpit is not fully environmentally sealed, the Chipwell armor cannot operate underwater. Water would leak into the cockpit and destroy the electronics.
Maximum Ocean Depth: Chinese Version: 1,312 feet (400 meters). Chipwell Version: Cannot operate underwater
Height: 16.1 feet (4.9 meters)
Width: 14.8 feet (4.5 meters) with wings folded, 32.2 feet (9.8 meters) with wings extended.
Length: Chinese Version: 12.5 feet (3.8 meters). Chipwell Version: 12.8 feet (3.9 meters)
Weight: Chinese Version: 6.9 tons (6.3 metric tons) fully loaded. Chipwell Version: 7.4 tons (6.7 metric tons) fully loaded
Physical Strength: Chinese Version: Equal to a P.S. 38 Chipwell Version: Equal to a P.S. 32
Cargo: A small 2.3 foot (0.7 meter) on a side storage compartment behind pilot seat for extra clothing, weapons, and personal items
Power System: Chinese Version: Nuclear Fusion with average life span of 8 years. Chipwell Version: Nuclear Fusion with average life span of 5 years
Black Market Cost: Chinese Version: Normally sells for 6.8 million credits but can sell for up to 8.2 million credits depending on situation. Chipwell Version: Normally sells for 6.0 million credits
- T.W. Forearm Mounted Pneumatic-style Bolt Launcher: This pneumatic-style launcher is similar in appearance to a wide barreled Gatling cannon although it is really a launcher of bolt type projectile. The weapon can fire single shot or three or six shot burst. The launcher propel either normal wood-tipped bolts or special "seeking" bolts that search out the heart of the targeted vampire. To activate the seeking function requires an extra 2 P.P.E. It is mounted on the power armors right forearm.
- Automatic Grenade Launcher: Weapon is WI-GL21 Automatic Grenade Launcher mounted on the left forearm of the power armor. The Grenade launcher has a special feed system to enable the gunner to switch between conventional rounds or special anti-vampire rounds with the flick of a switch. Most common conventional rounds are armor piercing. Anti-Vampire rounds are special shotgun style flechette rounds made from wood which the spell of "Ironwood" has been cast on the rounds.
- T.W. Converted Water Cannon: Mounted on the left forearm under the grenade launcher, it is simply a conventional water cannon converted to Techno-Wizardry to eliminate the need for an external tank. While most useful for battling vampires, it is also useful for firefighting roles.
- Shoulder Mini-Missile Launchers (10): The power armor has ten tubes to fire mini-missiles on the shoulder. Weapon is extremely powerful and all mini-missiles can be fired on one target in a single volley. These launchers are designed for both engaging vampires at long range and give the power armor the ability to fight other power armors. Normally the Troll will carry a mixture of ammunition types.
- TW Flare Launchers (2): These launchers are mounted on each wing of the power armor and are designed to fire flares straight up in the air. Usually the power armor will carry eight of each type flare.
- Holy Symbol Spotlight (1): The front of the power armor is a holy system spotlight mounted on a turret under the cockpit of the Troll. They can have a variety of holy symbols attached to them including a cross style lense cover.
- Wing Blades: Each wing of the power armor is tipped with a silver blade which has been permanently enchanted by the spell "Enchant Weapon: Lesser."Some pilots (which many others consider insane) like to try and make blade strikes against vampires. Because of the enchantments, the blades are extremely tough and only direct attacks against them will inflict any damage.
- Energy Rifles or Light Rail Gun and other hand-held weapons can be substituted in an emergency or used as a back-up weapon. Space limitations and the bulk of the armor limit additional weapons to one and weapons cannot draw from power armors power supply. Due to low manual dexterity, power armor has a -1 to strike with hand held weapons (does not apply to hard mounted weapons)
- Hand to Hand Combat: Rather than use a weapon, The pilot can engage in mega-damage hand to hand combat. See Basic and Elite Power Armor Combat Training in the Robot Combat section of Rifts, page 45. All abilities are the same except has a penalty of -2 to dodge penalty and -1 to initiative.
- Techno-Wizard Modifications: The "Holy Vengence" Troll has the following Techno-Wizard Modifications built into the power armor. These require P.P.E. or I.S.P. from the pilot or the techno-wizard battery
Maximum Effective Range: 300 feet (91.5 meters)
Damage: Single Bolt: 3D6 S.D.C. to non-vampires and 6D6 hit point damage to vampires plus it immobilizes them on a direct strike to the heart. Three Bolt Bursts: Inflicts 6D6 S.D.C. to non-vampires and 1D6x10+6 hit point damage to vampires plus it immobilizes them on a direct strike to the heart. Six Shot Bursts: 1D6x10+6 S.D.C. to non-vampires and 2D6x10+12 hit point damage to vampires plus it immobilizes them on a direct strike to the heart.
Rate of Fire: Equal to combined hand to hand attacks of pilot (Three Bolt and Six Bolt Bursts cost one attack)
Payload: 30 bolts per 15 P.P.E., plus 2 P.P.E. for the seeking function per bolt
Maximum Effective Range: Conventional Rounds: 3,000 feet (914 meters) Anti-Vampire Rounds: 600 feet (182 meters)
Mega-Damage: Conventional Rounds: 4D6 for Fragmentation with a blast area of 12 feet (3.7 meters) and 1D4x10 for Armor Piercing with a blast area of 3 feet (0.9 meters), burst of 10 rounds does 2D6x10 for Fragmentation with a blast area of 40 feet (12.2 meters) and 3D6x10 for Armor Piercing with a blast area of 8 feet (2.4 meters). Anti-Vampire Rounds: 8D6 S.D.C. to normal targets and 2D4x10+10 direct to hit points to vampires. Round does double damage to targets at close range (less than 25% of effective range), normal damage at medium ranges (25% to 50% of effective range), half damage at long range (50% to 75% of effective range, and quarter damage at extreme range (Greater than 75% of effective range). Burst of 10 rounds increase damage by 5 time to a single target or can inflict normal damage to 1D4 targets and have a 20% of hitting an innocent bystander if in the spray of the weapon. At long range (20 ft / 6 m or greater), a flechette will penetrate the heart on a 18 through 20 on a normal shot and on a 15 through 20 for a called shot. On close range attacks (20 ft / 6 m or closer), chances of hitting the heart are even better. Without a called shot, a flechette will penetrate on a 16 through 20. On a called shot, a flechette will penetrate on an 8 through 20. Burst shots cannot be used as called shots against vampires but the game can allow five rolls to see if a flechette lodges in the heart.
Rate of Fire: Equal to combined hand to hand attacks of pilot.
Payload: 500 rounds total, usually divided up with 250 Conventional Rounds and 250 Anti-Vampire Rounds.
Weight: 11 lbs (5.0 kg), no need for an external tank.
Maximum Effective Range: 300 feet (91.5 meters)
Damage: Special: 3D6X10 H.P. to Vampires and other creatures vulnerable to water. It can also be used to knock people off their feet (33% chance).
Rate of Fire: Equal to combined hand to hand attacks of pilot.
Payload: 20 blasts for 10 P.P.E.
Maximum Effective Range: Varies with mini-missile type; for Conventional Mini-Missiles normally armor piercing or fragmentation are carried (Go to Revised bomb and missile table for conventional missiles.) See New Armor and Weapons for Rifts - Others. for Anti-Vampire Mini-Missiles.
Mega-Damage: Varies with mini-missile type; for Conventional Mini-Missiles normally armor piercing or fragmentation are carried (Go to Revised bomb and missile table for conventional missiles.) See New Armor and Weapons for Rifts - Others. for Anti-Vampire Mini-Missiles.
Rate of Fire: One at a time or in volley of two, four, five, or all (10).
Payload: Ten mini-missiles total (Five each wing).
Maximum Effective Range: Launches flares straight up in the air. Altitude that flares explode and radius affected are based on the type of flare. TW Storm Flares explode at 2000 feet (610 meters) and covers a radius of 100 feet (30.5 meters) around the location flare is launched. TW Globe of Daylight Flares explode at 200 feet (61 meters) and then drop to 20 feet (6 meters) and hover with an effective radius of 120 feet (36 meters) for the globe.
Mega Damage: None. TW Storm Flares create a rainstorm which inflicts 4D6x10 hit points to vampires for every half melee the vampires are caught within the rain storm. Effects last 1D6 minutes. TW Globe of Daylight Flares force vampires to the edge of the globe. Duration is 3D4 minutes.
Rate of Fire: Equal to combined hand to hand attacks of pilot (One at a time only.)
Payload: 16 flares total (Eight Each Wing)
Maximum Effective Range: 200 feet (61 meters)
Mega Damage: None but light inflicts 4D6 hit points to vampires for every melee the vampires are caught within the light of the holy symbol
Rate of Fire: Use Pilots's hand to hand attacks to determine how many targets can be targeted with the spotlight per melee.
Payload: Effectively unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: Melee Weapon / Hand to Hand
Mega Damage: 8D6 and inflicts 8D6 hit points to vampires.
Number of Attacks: Equal to combined hand to hand attacks of pilot.
Payload: Not applicable.
- Invincible Armor (8th Level) 30 PPE or 60 ISP
Invisibility-Superior (8th Level) 20 PPE or 40 ISP
P.P.E. Battery: 100 P.P.E., The battery regenerates at the rate of 2 P.P.E. per hour normally, 10 P.P.E. per hour at a ley line, and 20 P.P.E. per hour at a nexus point.
Limited Sensor / Special Equipment for Chipwell Design:
The Chipwell power armor does not have all the standard equipment of most power armors.
- Short Range Radar: Power Armor is equipped with a short range radar. Radar system has a range of 10 miles (16 km) and can identify and track up to 24 targets.
- Combat / Targeting Computer: System calculates, stores, and transmits data onto the display of the power armor. Computer assists in the tracking of targets. The system also has a data base of targets and has the ability to identify most common targets.
- Laser Targeting System: The system is designed to assist in the selection and focusing on a specific target. System gives a bonus of +1 to strike using long range weapons but must have line of sight. As well, most mini-missiles are designed to follow the laser beam to the target.
- Infra-Red / Laser Detector: The system is designed to detect any infrared or laser beams which paint or target the power armor. Power armor has special sensors built into the exterior every few inches. Sensors gives strength of the signal and the person can often determine if they have been detected from signal strength.
- Radar Detector: System is designed to passively detect other radars being operated. System give information such as relative strength and number of signals. Sensors gives strength of the signal and the person can often determine if they have been detected from signal strength.
- Short Range Radio: Directional, Short Range radio is built into the power armor. Radio range is 20 miles (32 km). Also fitted with a radio scrambler to prevent others from easily listening in on communications.
- High Temperature Insulation: Power armors are more from high temperature materials that is designed to resist temperatures up to 400 degrees centigrade. Normal fires inflict no damage but extremely high temperature fire such as plasma and magic fire inflicts full damage.
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, and Xiticix TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Drawing by Talis D. Merrill (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2006, Kitsune. All rights reserved.