T.W. Me-262 Schwalbe ("Swallow") Fighter:
The Messerschmitt Me 262 Schwalbe ("Swallow") was the world's first operational jet-powered fighter aircraft. Development of the fighter began before World War Two but did not enter service until mid 1944 due to having problems with its engines. It is believed to have killed over five hundred Allied aircraft with around one hundred aircraft lost.
The aircraft was so popular that a company began to build reproductions. One of the most popular, built in Washington state, used modern systems and engines but otherwise was designed to copy the original aircraft as closely as possible. The original Jumo 004 engines were simply too unreliable they so replaced by more reliable General Electric J85 engines. These engines are much smaller and were concealed within the castings of the original engines.
It is believed that a group of techno-wizards found both the facilities for building these fighters and several mostly complete models of the aircraft. The techno-wizards decided that they would develop a techno-wizard version of the Me-262 and they packed up the equipment to build the aircraft elsewhere. Unlike most German techno-wizard aircraft, the fighter design is build somewhere in North America, most likely somewhere still in the northwest.
These techno-wizard aircraft are a bit less of a direct copy than the original reproduction. This was required to make the aircraft effective after the coming of the Rifts. It was modified so that it has much greater firepower, armored so that it can withstand the damage of modern weaponry, modern sensors, and make it a bit faster than the original German Me-262 fighter. As a result of the various modifications, the fighter is a bit heavier than the original Me-262. A number of techno-wizard enchantments are also added to the fighter to further improve its capabilities. These include the enchantments of "Invisibility Superior" and "Impervious to Energy."
Modern high strength alloys replace the original skin of the aircraft. Similar materials are used for the frame of the aircraft. Using modern alloys is far cheaper than enchanted materials in most cases and makes the aircraft easier to repair than it would be otherwise. For additional protection, the jet fighter is protected by an "Armor of Ithan" force field. It can be activated up to three times per day.
The engines are also replaced. A pair of lightweight fusion engines provide greater thrust. For safety reasons, the aircraft is limited to a top speed of right around a thousand kilometers per hour, just over percent greater than the original German fighter. Of course the major advantage is that the engines give virtually unlimited range. The engines will overheat if operated for over ten hours over four hundred kilometers per hour and twenty hours at speeds lower than that. These engines are backed up by a techno-wizard flight system which can fly on ley lines. The ley line flight system is completely silent.
Original the Me-262 mounted four 30 mm, designed to kill heavy Allied bombers. These are replaced by four telekinetic machine guns. These weapons have effectively unlimited payload although need to be recharged periodically by the spell telekinesis and a large amount of magical energy. Where the fighter had a pair of maintenance panels forward of the cockpit, there is are retractable mini-missile launchers. Each had twelve mini-missiles for a total of twenty-four missiles. Finally, the techno-wizard fighter had four hard points which can mount a variety of different ordnance including bombs, missiles, and mini-missile packs.
Finally, the aircraft carried modern sensors. A long range radar system is mounted in the nose under the telekinetic machine gun mounts. The cockpit is fitted with "see the Invisible" optics. The cockpit displays are holographic plasma displays although are designed to usually mimic those of the original Me-262. A simply switch and can be used with the radar system. Flight controls are fly by wire systems to make the aircraft more maneuverable and the fighter has an advanced flight control computer. The cockpit is equipped with full life support systems. Both one or two crew versions of the techno-wizard Me-262 are available.
Model Number: T.W. Me-262-TW
Vehicle Type: Twin Engine Techno-Wizard Fighter
Crew: One or two
M.D.C. by Location:
| Nose Mounted Telekinetic Machine Guns (4):||50 each|
| Side Mounted Mini Missile Launchers (2, forward of cockpit)||65 each|
| Swept Wings (2):||220 each|
| Elevators (2):||80 each|
| Rudder (1):||100 each|
| Landing Gear (3):||30 each|
| Engines (2 - under wings):||180 each|
| Main Body:||450|
| Magical "Armor of Ithan" Force Field (3 times per day):||100|
 These are small and difficult targets to strike, requiring the attacker to make a "called shot;" but even then the attacker is -4 to strike.
 Destroying a wing will cause the plane to crash.
 Destruction of rudders or one elevator will still allow the fighter to be controlled by the varying of power levels of the engines but the fighter has a penalty of -10 to dodge, and a -30% penalty to all piloting rolls. Destruction of both of the elevators will leave the plane uncontrollable and pilot must eject to survive.
 The destruction of one engine will reduce the fighters top speed by half and give the pilot a -2 penalty to dodge as well as giving a 10% penalty to piloting. Destruction of both engines will cause the aircraft to crash. Pilot may attempt an emergency landing or pilot can choose to eject. If on a Ley Line, the aircraft can continue flying even if both engines are destroyed.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body will shut the Aircraft down completely, rendering it useless and causing it to crash if in flight.
 As per the spell "Armor of Ithan" - Magic, fire, lightning, and cold all inflict one-half damage. Each activation lasts for 30 minutes.
Driving on Ground (Taxiing): Only possible for take offs and landings as well as for parking and storage. Speed is 40 mph (64 kph) when traveling and not on take off or landing.
Flying: Engines are purely technological in design. Fighter is not VTOL in design and cannot hover. The Techno-Wizard Me-262 has a top speed of 621.4 mph (540 knots / 1000 kph) with a maximum altitude of about 52,490 feet (16,000 meters). Top speed is due to computer limiting speed not due to engine power. As a result, top speed is not reduced for external ordnance. 200 mph (320 kph) on Telekinetic flight system but aircraft must remain on a ley line for flight system to operate. Telekinetic flight system is virtually silent.
Range: Effectively Unlimited. Thrusters overheat after twenty hours of use below 217.2 knots / 402.3 kph.) without magical flight system, 10 hours of use above 250 mph (217.2 knots / 402.3 kph.) Effective unlimited on Telekinetic flight system.
Height 11 feet 6 inches (3.50 meters)
Wingspan: 41 feet 6 inches (12.60 meters)
Length: 34 feet 9 inches (10.60 meters)
Weight: 12,677 pounds (5,750 kilograms) empty and 16,535 pounds (7,500 kilograms) fully loaded.
Power System: Dual Flight System, Fusion Reactor with ten year lifespan and Telekinetic flight system for flight on ley lines.
Cargo: Minimal (Storage for small equipment) in cockpit, does not include hard points
Black Market Cost: 22.5 million credits
- Four (4) Telekinetic Machine-Guns: All four are mounted in the nose of the fighter. The weapons are enchanted by a series of spells so the cannons acts as more powerful version of the TK Machine-gun. This increases the weapon's damage and instead of being reloaded, the cannons must be recharged by the spell Telekinesis and 100 PPE once per month. The cannons do full damage to targets that are impervious to energy. Weapons can be combined together (still requires one attack)
- Two (2) Mini-Missile Launchers (2): A small mini-missile launcher is mounted in front the cockpit where originally was a pair of maintenance pannels. The launchers are retractable to reduce the fighter's drag. This weapon is mostly used against enemy aircraft, missile volleys, and other aerial opponents, or on strafing runs against troops and other ground targets. The weapon has a much larger punch and longer ranged than the telekinetic machine guns.
- Four (4) Wing Hard Points: The Techno-Wizard Me-262 can carry a variety of ordnance on its hard points. The fighter has two hard points on each wing for a total of four hard points. With the addition of sensor systems, the fighter can control missiles instead of just bombs and unguided rockets. Mini-Missile pods are very popular. Weapons can be used while the flame aura is active and towed decoys are available for the fighter.
- Bombs and Missiles: The only restriction is that a hard point must carry all the same type of missiles or bombs. Both unguided and guided bombs can be carried.
- Mini-Missile Pod: Large capacity mini-missile pod. The aircraft normally carries missile pods for ground strafing, anti-troop, and anti-emplacement attacks. Normal missile used are armor piercing, plasma, or fragmentation mini-missiles (Go to Revised bomb and missile table.)
- Techno-Wizard Modifications: The techno-wizard Me-262 has the following Techno-Wizard Modifications built into the Fighter. These require P.P.E. or I.S.P. from the pilot (or copilot.)
Maximum Effective Range: 4,000 feet (1,220 meters).
Mega Damage: 12D6 for one and 4D6x10+40 for all four.
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined hand to hand attacks of the pilot (usually 4 or 5).
Payload: Unlimited, although the spells must be renewed every month whether the cannon have been used or not.
Maximum Effective Range: Varies with missile types, mini-missiles only (Go to Revised bomb and missile table.)
Mega-Damage: Varies with mini-missile types (Go to Revised bomb and missile table.)
Rate of Fire: Equal to the total number of hand to hand attacks per melee. The missiles can be fired one (1) at a time, or in volleys of two (2), four (4), or six (6).
Payload: Twenty-four (24) total; twelve (12) mini-missiles in each launcher.
Maximum Effective Range: Varies by missile type for missile and varies by altitude that bombs are dropped at (Go to Revised bomb and missile table.)
Mega Damage: Varies by missile or bomb type (Go to Revised bomb and missile table.)
Rate of Fire: Missiles can be fired and bombs can be dropped one at a time per hard point. Multiple hard points can be linked as one attack but must be the same size (light, medium, or heavy) and style of ordnance (all missiles or bombs in a volley)
Payload: Four (4) short range missile or light bombs, two (2) medium range missiles or medium bombs, or one (1) long range missile or heavy bomb (all ordnance on a hard point must be the same size and type of ordnance) per hard point.
Maximum Effective Range: Varies with missile types, mini-missiles only (Go to Revised bomb and missile table.)
Mega Damage: Varies with mini missile types.
Rate of Fire: Each pod can fire one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), eight (8), or sixteen (16 - all) and can be linked with other mini missile pods for greater number of missiles (Counts as one attack no matter how many missiles in volley)
Payload: Each pod carries sixteen (16) mini-missiles.
- Chameleon (6th Level) 6 PPE or 12 ISP
Impervious to Energy (6th level) 20 PPE or 40 ISP
Invisibility-Superior (6th Level) 20 PPE or 40 ISP
The fighter has all the standard features of a standard fighter (same as standard robot minus loudspeaker and microphone) plus these special features listed. The special equipment is a combination of both magic and technology
- Radar: Range 500 miles (434.5 nautical miles / 805 kilometers), can identify and track up to 96 targets simultaneously, It is also capable of Terrain Following for low altitude flight. With Combat & Targeting Computer, the Starfighter can fire missiles at up to twenty four targets at the same time.
- Magical "See the Invisible" Optics: Same as spell and used at will. 2,000 feet (610 meters) range. Can see forces, objects, and creatures which can turn invisible, or are invisible. Can also see vaporous beings and astral bodies.
- E.S.M.: Radar Detector. Passively detects other radars being operated.
- FLIR: Forward Looking Infrared. Allows pilot and weapons officer to get visuals on targets at night.
- +2 to Strike with Forward Mounted Gun and Mini-Missile Launchers.
+2 to dodge
+4 to dodge while traveling over 250 mph (217.2 knots / 402.3 kph.)
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, and Xiticix TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2012, Kitsune. All rights reserved.