T.W. Mk 50 "Windrider" Mosquito Techno-Wizard Fighter Bomber:
The Mosquito was one of the most flexible aircraft during World War Two and actually remained in production after the war. The Mosquito served as a reconnaissance aircraft, high speed bomber, night fighter, and fighter bomber. It served in multiple militaries and in addition to Great Britain, served in the American, Canadian, Australian, New Zealand, and South African militaries. Unusual among high performance aircraft, the Mosquito was constructed mainly from wood. The Mosquito uses the same engine as the early Spitfire (Rolls-Royce Merlin engine) and was incredibly fast.
Like other Techno-Wizard fighters, every attempt has been made to faithfully duplicate the World War Two aircraft. This includes trying to make the internal appearance of the aircraft as close as possible to the original aircraft and copying original paint schemes of the aircraft. Like many aircraft copied by Techno-Wizards, few original Mosquitos survived the coming of the Rifts. Luckily detailed plans and several badly damaged museum models have been found. Each Techno-Wizard Mosquito is hand built and are considered works of art. While the design is generally similar to other Techno-Wizard aircraft, it has its own unique enchantments. Different designers than those who created the created the Mustang or the Lightning developed the Techno-Wizard Mosquito.
The first Techno-Wizard Mosquito which was flown seems to have been built in England and appeared slightly less than a year after the first Techno-Wizard "Firebreather" Spitfire found its way to England. It is likely that the same Techno-Wizard who introduced the fighter to the European island also developed the "Windrider" Mosquito. It is still far more popular in England than it is in North America but has found its way across the water to North America. It is also operated in mainland Europe in small numbers. The Mosquito is designed to be able to perform well in both the roles of fighter and bomber.
The flight system still retains a normal engine but has a different magical fight system compared to most other Techno-Wizard fighters. The magical flight system uses a focused "whirlwind" as its basis. The whirlwind surrounds the aircraft as well as forming a vortex cone from the back of the aircraft. Using just the "Whirlwind" flight system, the Mosquito can reach of up to 120 mph although the magical flight system is rarely used by itself. One disadvantage of the flight system is that it is rather noisy compared to telekinetic flight system although it is not limited to ley lines. Other aircraft caught in the vortex often lose control and are virtually always knocked off course. The vortex also cause light damage to aircraft and missiles are usually destroyed. As well, pilots commonly use the vortex as a carpet attack against the ground. The whirlwind surrounding the aircraft is less powerful than the vortex but still offers protection to the Mosquito. The "Whirlwind" can be combined with the aircraft's normal flight system to increase the aircraft's top speed. The special focused storm of the "Whirlwind" Mosquito is produced by a lesser air elemental which is merged with the aircraft in a similar manner to the “Wildstorm” Techno-Wizard fighters. The elemental also allows the flight of the plane to almost be instinctive compared to conventional aircraft. Like the “Wildstorm” fighters, if the aircraft is destroyed, the elemental will simply go back to its home plane and not attack anyone in the area.
Similar to other techno-wizard fighters, the conventional flight system uses two power armor fusion reactors to provide power to the twin propellers. As might be expected, the engine produces far more power than any Rolls-Royce engine ever used in a Mosquito and increased the speed by about 10% compared to the fastest conventional Mosquitos ever manufactured. The techno-wizard Mosquito can reach a maximum speed of 460 miles per hour using just propellers and up to 520 mph using the magical flight system as well.
Most of the Techno-Wizard fighter designs use high strength alloys in their construction. The Mosquito does not and is constructed from wood. Wood is easy to craft and most techno-wizards are master carpenters. These materials are then enchanted with the spell of "Ironwood" to make an incredibly strong design. This also makes the aircraft virtually immune to environmental conditions. Repairs can usually be done by patching the aircraft and then enchanting the replacement material. One key difference between the Techno-Wizard Mosquito and the original aircraft is that it carries modern electronics which are approximately the equivalent of those on most robot vehicles. In addition to standard sensors, the enchanted Mosquito is fitted with a long range radar. Comfort for the two man crew is better than the original Mosquito with internal life support systems. The Mosquito's displays are in reality multi configuration holographic plasma displays but are designed to be able to simulate those of the original Mosquito. The displays can be changed instantly when the pilot needs to.
Original nose weaponry for the fighter / bomber version of the Mosquito was four 20 mm Hispano cannons and four .303 caliber Browning machine-guns. The Techno-Wizard version mounts four Lightning Blasters and two Telekinetic machine-guns. This gives the fighter incredible firepower, especially when the Lightning Blasters and Telekinetic machine-guns are combined. The air elemental provides the magical energy for the Lightning Blasters but the twin Telekinetic machine-guns need to be recharged periodically by the pilot or support crew. The fighter bomber also has in the fuselage an internal bomb bay and a total of four hard points on the wings which missiles, bombs, and rocket packs can me mounted. The rocket packs, which fire mini missiles, can only be mounted on the wing hard points. The only real disadvantage is the fact that the "Whirlwind" prevents missiles, bombs, or rocket packs from being used while the high winds surround the fighter. The constantly shifting winds knock all ordnance off course if they are not detonated by it.
Model Number: D.H 98 Mk 50 "Stormrider" Mosquito
Vehicle Type: Dual Engine Techno-Wizard Heavy Fighter Bomber
Crew: Two (Pilot and Co-Pilot)
M.D.C. by Location:
| Wings (2):||200 each|
| Elevators (2):||100 each|
| Rudder (1):||100|
|Reinforced Pilots Cockpit||180|
| Engines (2):||120 each|
| Propellers (2):||60|
|Bomb / Ordnance Bay:||100|
|Landing Gear (3):||40 each|
| Main Body:||450|
 Destroying a Wing will cause the plane to crash.
 Destruction of rudders will still allow the fighter to be controlled by the varying of power levels of the engines but the fighter has a penalty of -10 to dodge, and a -30% penalty to all piloting rolls. Destruction of the elevator will leave the plane uncontrollable and pilot must eject to survive.
 The destruction of one engine or propeller will reduce the fighter’s top speed by half and give the pilot a -2 penalty to dodge as well as giving a 10% penalty to piloting. Destruction of both engines means that the aircraft can only fly using the magical flight system.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body will shut the Aircraft down completely, rendering it useless and causing it to crash if in flight.
Driving on Ground (Taxiing): Only possible for take offs and landings as well as for parking and storage. Speed is 40 mph (64 kph) when traveling and not on take off or landing.
Flying: 462 mph (743.5 kph) with an altitude of 45,500 feet (13868.4 meters) using conventional propeller driven flight. Using magical "Whirlwind" flight system, top speed is 120 mph (193.1 kph.) Both flight systems can be combined, giving the Techno-Wizard Mosquito a top speed of 520 mph (836.8 kph)
Maximum Effective Range: The "Stormrider" Mosquito will overheat after twelve hours of operation at above 300 mph (482.8 kph) on propeller driven flight. Effective unlimited on "Whirlwind" flight system.
Height: 15 feet 3 inches (4.64 meters)
Wingspan: 54 feet 2 inches (16.5 meters)
Length: 41 feet 2 inches (12.54 meters)
Weight: 15,800 pounds (7170 kilograms) empty, 22,500 pounds (10,205.8 kilograms) fully loaded
Power System: Dual Flight System, Fusion Reactor with five year lifespan and "Whirlwind" flight system.
Cargo: Minimal (Storage for small equipment), does not include hard points or bomb bay. Ordnance bay, of emptied of ordnance can carry up to 4,000 lbs (1,816 kg) of cargo.
Black Market Cost: 28.5 million credits.
- T.K. Machine-Guns (2): Mounted in the nose of the fighter bomber. They are enchanted by a series of spells so the cannon acts as a more powerful version of the T.K. Machine-gun. This increases the weapon's damage and instead of being reloaded, the cannon must be recharged by the spell Telekinesis and 100 P.P.E. once per month. The cannon does full damage to targets that are impervious to energy and can be fired through the "Whirlwind" field. Weapon can be combined with the Lightning Blasters.
- Four (4) Heavy Lightning Blasters: Mounted in the fighter's nose in the same position as the 20 mm Cannons. All of the lightning blasters can be fired together and inflict incredible damage when all four are fired together. No matter how many cannons are fired together, it counts as one attack. They can also be combined with the T.K. Machine-Gun. The lightning blasters have a slightly better range and have an unlimited payload compared to hand held lightning blasters. The weapon pulls its energy from the air elemental and does not need to be recharged. Lightning blasters can be fired while the electrical field is active.
- Internal Ordnance Bay: The fighter has a large bay in the main body that can carry a wide variety of different ordnance types. Ordnance types include missiles or bombs. Missile and bomb sizes may be mixed between different types of ordnance but an ordnance drop or launch must include the same type and size of ordnance. Ordnance may be carried at the rate of four short range missiles, four light bombs, two medium range missiles, or two medium bombs for one long range missile or heavy bomb. Both guided and unguided ordnance may be carried. An equivalent number of torpedoes or depth charges to the number of missiles and bombs may also be carried. Ordnance cannot be fired / dropped while the "Whirlwind" field is active.
- Wing Hard Points (4): The "Stormrider" Mosquito can carry a variety of ordnance on its hard points. The fighter bomber has two hard points on each wing for a total of four hard points. With the addition of sensor systems, the fighter can control missiles instead of just bombs and unguided rockets. Mini-Missile pods are very popular. Ordnance cannot be fired / dropped while the "Whirlwind" field is active. There is no provision for jamming pods or towed decoys.
- Bombs and Missiles: The only restriction is that a hard point must carry all the same type of missiles or bombs. Both unguided and guided bombs can be carried.
- Mini-Missile Pod: Large capacity mini-missile pod. The aircraft normally carries missile pods for ground strafing, anti-troop, and anti-emplacement attacks. Normal missile used are armor piercing, plasma, or fragmentation mini-missiles.
- Stormrider "Whirlwind": The fighter bomber is surrounded by series of powerful shearing air currents. Due to this, the aircraft has partial protection against both explosions and projectiles. Behind the fighter, a very strong vortex is created which inflicts damage to anything that is caught in the vortex. This field will destroy virtually any missile caught in it and also normally knocks other aircraft off course. While very dangerous to aircraft attacking from the rear, the pilot is at -4 to strike with the Vortex. Trying to turn the fighter to get a missile caught in the vortex is a dodge maneuver and the pilot does not suffer any penalties. The Vortex is also sometimes used as a carpet attack against ground targets. The field can be activated by the pilot whenever needed. Missiles and bombs cannot be used effectively while the field is active.
- Techno-Wizard Modifications: The Mosquito has the following Techno-Wizard Modifications built into the Aircraft. These require P.P.E. or I.S.P. from the pilot.
Maximum Effective Range: 4,000 feet (1,220 meters).
Mega Damage: 2D6x10+10 for both cannons or 12D6 for one (Combined with Lightning Blasters for a Maximum Total of 6D4x10+40)
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined hand to hand attacks of the pilot (usually 4 or 5).
Payload: Unlimited, although the spells must be renewed every month whether the cannon have been used or not.
Maximum Effective Range: 4,000 feet (1,220 meters).
Mega Damage: 1D4x10+10 per electrical blaster and 4D4x10+40 for all four blasters firing simultaneously (Counts as one attack - Combined with T.K. Machine-Gun for a Maximum Total of 6D4x10+40)
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined hand to hand attacks of the pilot (usually 4 or 5).
Payload: Effectively Unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: Varies by missile type for missile and varies by altitude bombs are dropped at (See bomb and missile tables for details).
Mega-Damage: Varies by missile or bomb type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Ordnance is dropped or fired one at a time or in volleys of two to sixteen but must be the same size (light, medium, or heavy) and style of ordnance (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Payload: 16 short range missile or light bombs, 8 medium range missiles or medium bombs, or 4 long range missile or heavy bomb. Ordnance can be mixed and torpedoes and depth charges may be carried as well as missiles and bombs.
Maximum Effective Range: Varies by missile type for missile and varies by altitude that bombs are dropped at (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: Varies by missile or bomb type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Missiles can be fired and bombs can be dropped one at a time per hard point. Multiple hard points can be linked as one attack but must be the same size (light, medium, or heavy) and style of ordnance (all missiles or bombs in a volley)
Payload: 4 short range missile or light bombs, 2 medium range missiles or medium bombs, or 1 long range missile or heavy bomb (all ordnance on a hard point must be the same size and type of ordnance)
Maximum Effective Range: Varies with missile types, mini-missiles only (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: Varies with mini missile types (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Each pod can fire one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), eight (8), or sixteen (16) mini-missiles and can be linked with other mini-missile pods for greater number of missiles (Counts as one attack no matter how many missiles in volley)
Payload: Each pod carries 16 mini-missiles.
Maximum Effective Range: 10 foot (3.05 meter) field around fighter and 300 foot (91.4 meter) long and 50 foot (15.2 meter) wide vortex field behind fighter / bomber.
Mega-Damage: Vortex Field Behind Fighter: 4D6+4 M.D.C. (S.D.C. objects are destroyed) against anything caught in the vortex. Missiles are normally destroyed but even if not are knocked out of control. Missiles and Power Armors have an -80% penalty to their piloting rolls to keep from being knocked out of control. Fighters and all relatively small aircraft have a -50% penalty to their piloting rolls to keep from being knocked out of control. Large aircraft have a -20% penalty to their piloting rolls to keep from being knocked out of control. Even if the aircraft is not knocked out of control, it will be knocked off course by 1D6x10 degrees and only smart missiles can attempt to reacquire .their target. Around Fighter: None but partially protects aircraft from all directions from both projectiles and explosives. Reduce damage from explosions by 50% and damage from projectiles by 25%.
Rate of Fire: Can be activated at will
Payload: Effectively unlimited
- Chameleon (6th Level) - 6 P.P.E. or 12 I.S.P.
Impervious to Energy (6th Level) - 20 P.P.E. or 40 I.S.P.
Invisibility-Superior (6th Level) - 20 P.P.E. or 40 I.S.P.
The fighter has all the standard features of a standard fighter (same as standard robot minus loudspeaker and microphone) plus these special features listed. The special equipment is a combination of both magic and technology
- Radar: Range 500 miles (805 km), can identify and track up to 96 targets simultaneously, It is also capable of Terrain Following for low altitude flight. With Combat & Targeting Computer, the Mosquito can fire missiles at up to twenty four targets at the same time. The weapons officer frees the pilot from controlling the missiles so he can retain his full attacks.
- Magical “See the Invisible” Optics: Same as spell and used at will. 2,000 feet (610 meters) range. Can see forces, objects, and creatures which can turn invisible, or are invisible. Can also see vaporous beings and astral bodies.
- E.S.M.: Radar Detector. Passively detects other radars being operated.
- +20% to all Piloting Rolls
+1 to Strike with Lightning Blasters, T.K. Machine-guns, and Mini-Missile Launchers.
+2 to dodge
+4 to dodge while traveling over 200 mph
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2004, Kitsune. All rights reserved.