Techno Wizard Nautilus class Submarine:
Techno-Wizards have come up with many unusual ideas including the refitting of Pre-Rifts Cruisers and even creating enchanted versions of old sail frigates. Many of these creations are at least based on real life vehicles but there are exceptions - designs based on pure fantasy. One of these, the Nautilus class submarine is not based on any real world submarine and it is actually copied from the fictional submarine "Nautilus" from the author Jules Verne's novel "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea".
Where the Techno-Wizards manufacture these vessels is a mystery but they are works of art and are as capable as modern submarines in most respects. Like most Techno-Wizard creations, the submarines are a combination of both magic and technology. The two work together to make the designs more dangerous than the sum total of both. In appearance, the submarines look much like the submarine from the Disney film version of the story "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea." The submarine's major exception in appearance is that the nose of the submarine has four torpedo tubes and on top of the bow are twelve missile launching tubes.
While the true number are unknown, several of these submarines are reported to have been seen by Coalition units and it is assumed by Coalition naval leaders that more will be constructed. The Coalition military leadership is very cautious about these submarines and has issued a sink on sight order for these submarines even though they have no clear information on the capabilities of these submarines. No encounters have yet taken place but it is very likely the Coalition will be the loser in any encounter with these boats
The hull has a large number of surface features, such as horns and spines, which would normally make the submarine very noisy and no real effort was made when designing the submarine to reduce noise. In addition, the submarine is incredibly fast, forty knots both on the surface and underwater. It would be extremely noisy without magic but with its enchantments, this submarine is quieter than virtually anything created with technology. The reason for this is because the boats hull and outside features, such as spines, are enchanted with a variation on the spell "Globe of Silence". Always active, this enchantment cause an area of silence that is one foot out from the boats hull. Several other submarine designs have similar enchantments but unlike the Nautilus, they are not always active. The only way to detect the submarine seems to be to detect an area that is too quiet and this is very difficult. Only the very best sonar operators have any real chance at all. As an added benefit, the submarine is complete undetectable by active sonar systems and torpedoes cannot lock on the submarine using their sonar. Torpedo launches from the Nautilus is almost impossible to detect.
This special enchantment initially created a major problem for the submarine. This was that submarine could not hear anything itself through its hull sonar because the sonar was in the area of silence. For this reason, a special sonar system was developed for the submarine. The system actually extends out the bottom of the submarine but has all the features of a standard hull sonar. The submarine does operate a towed array sonar system as well and the "Globe of Silence" never interfered with that system. This is located near the rear of the submarine. It is believed that the designs for the sonar systems were either purchased from Golden Age Weaponsmiths or that they were pirated from old American Empire submarines. Not the most modern designs, they are not as effective as some of the newest sonar systems developed before the coming of the Rifts although still generally effective. These sensor system are backed by powerful fire computers that are much smaller than the original designs.
A final special feature of the submarine's hull is that, due mostly to some of the enchantments, it can withstand the pressures of huge depths underwater and can dive far deeper than any of the Coalition submarines. The hull is made from enchantment materials not high tech alloys. Life support on the submarine is magical in nature which allows the Nautilus submarine to operate for long periods of time and food and weapons are effectively the only reasons why the submarine will have to be resupplied from time to time.
Weapon systems on the submarine are a mixture of pure technological and techno-wizardry designs. The pure technological weapons are four standard twenty one inch torpedo tubes in the bow and twelve vertical launch missile launchers just behind them. Long range missile launchers are arrayed in three rows of four. Twenty torpedoes are carried for reloads for the torpedo tubes. Both conventional and enchanted torpedoes can be carried. While special encapsulated long range and cruise missiles can also be carried, they are rarely carried. In addition, the boat has two Techno-Wizard Telekinetic Gatling cannons in mounts that normally retract when the submarine dives. Primary role of these two cannons is for self defense against missiles and other airborne targets. These cannons are also very useful when the boat is attempting to capture a boat. While the submarine does carry noisemakers to decoy torpedoes, they are considered of very limited utility due to the fact that getting a torpedo lock is virtually impossible unless the Nautilus is using active sonar which the boats, submarine, or other vehicle can track on.
Because the submarine is small when compared to some of the new submarines and much of the submarine is taken up by equipment, the spaces on the submarine are cramped but wherever possible the submarine is designed to look internally much like the Nautilus from Jules Verne's novel was. Even though the boat has a crew of less than forty, only the two officers have their own quarters. Luckily, much of the submarines equipment on the submarine is smaller than the Twentieth Century equivalent. The submarine normal carries twelve mystic power armors.
Model Type: TW-SS-20K
Vehicle Type: Ocean, Magical Fast Attack Submarine
Crew: 38 (4 officers) with at least 1 techno-wizard and 1 other spell casting types.
Troops: 12 (pilots for Mystic Power Armors)
Robots, Power Armors, and Vehicles:
|12||Mystic Power Armors|
M.D.C. by location:
|21 inch (533 mm) Torpedo Tubes (4, Bow of Submarine):||80 each|
|Vertical Long Range Missile Launchers (12, Bow of Submarine):||40 each|
|T.W. Retractable Gatling Cannons (2, forward and aft):||125 each|
|Main Sail / Bridge:||800|
| Bow Planes (2):||300 each|
| Propeller (1):||500|
| Main Body:||2,250|
| "Armor of Ithan" Force Field (Three Times per Day):||1,000|
 Destroying the submarines bow planes will reduce the submarines ability to change depths but will not eliminate it. It also makes it difficult for the submarines crew to control the submarine giving a penalty of -25% to all piloting rolls.
 Destroying the submarines propeller causes serious problem. The submarine will no longer be able to use forward momentum and the bow planes to keep the submarine level. It is recommended that ballast takes are immediately blown so submarine comes to surface.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body destroys the submarine's structural integrity, causing it to sink. If the submarine is underwater, the entire crew will die unless protected by environmental armors that can withstand the pressure that the submarine is under. If on the surface, there are enough flotation devices and inflatable life rafts to accommodate everyone aboard.
 As per the spell "Armor of Ithan" - Magic, fire, lightning, and cold all inflict one-half damage. Each activation lasts for 30 minutes (120 melee rounds.)
Surface: 46 mph (40 knots /74.1 kph)
Underwater: 46 mph (40 knots /74.1 kph)
Maximum Depth: 5 miles (8 km)
Range: Effectively Unlimited due to magical life support. The submarine carries four months worth of supplies on board.
Length: 236.2 feet (72 meters)
Draft: 23.6 feet (7.2 meters)
Width: 26.2 feet (8 meters)
Displacement: 1,800 tons surfaced and 2,200 tons submerged
Cargo: Submarine is very cramped, 6 tons (5.44 metric tons) of nonessential equipment and supplies. Each enlisted crew member has a small locker for personal items and uniforms. Boats officers have more space for personal items although still cramped. Most of the boats spaces are take up by extra torpedoes, weapons, and engines.
Power System: Magical and Nuclear, Should have an average lifespan of 20 years
Black Market Cost: Very rare and expensive, normal cost is about 500 million credits but often will costs much more.
- Two (2) Retractable Telekinetic Gatling Cannons: Mounts have been enchanted by a series of spells so the cannons act as a more powerful version of the Telekinetic Machine gun. Each mount is retractable inside of the boats hull for when the submarine is diving although can be used underwater against torpedoes and other targets. This increases the weapons damage and instead of being reloaded, the cannons must be recharged each by the spell Telekinesis and 100 P.P.E. once per month. The cannon does full damage to targets that are impervious to energy. Additional optics and fire control have been added to enable the system to track and target aircraft and missiles
- Four (4) 21 inch (533 mm) Heavy Torpedo Tubes: On the bow of the submarine are four modern torpedo tubes. Tubes are 21 inches (533 mm) wide and torpedoes can be used against both surface craft and submarines. For warheads, heavy torpedoes should be treated as having long missiles warheads. Along with standard torpedoes, launcher can also fire missiles in special canisters (rarely carried), rocket boosted ASW torpedoes, and mines. There are also special techno-wizard torpedoes available. Submarine carries twenty reloads for torpedoes total.
- Twelve (12) Vertical Launch Long Range Missile Launchers: In the front of the submarine but behind the torpedo tubes, the submarine has a vertical launch system for launching missiles. These are mounted in three rows of four tubes. Missiles are launched in special canisters that enables the missiles to be used in depths down to 300 feet (91.44 meters.) Most missiles normally carried are fusion warheads (Also smart missiles - Two attacks per melee with +5 to strike and +3 to dodge). In some cases, sea skimming missiles are carried instead of standard missiles.
- Noisemakers: The submarine carries noisemakers to decoy torpedoes. They are most effective against normal torpedoes and less effective against "smart" torpedoes. The noisemakers are launched from the middle of the submarine. Most captains / crews consider the noise makers to be effectively useless due to the magical silence enchantment.
- Techno-Wizard Modifications: The Nautilus has the following Techno-Wizard Modifications built into the boat. These require P.P.E. or I.S.P. from the boats crew or P.P.E. battery.
Maximum Effective Range: 4,000 feet (1,220 meters).
Mega Damage: 12D6 each
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined hand to hand attacks of the gunner (usually 4 or 5).
Payload: Unlimited, although the spells (100 P.P.E. each cannon) on each must be renewed every month whether the cannon have been used or not .
Maximum Effective Range: 40 miles (64 km)
Mega Damage: By Heavy torpedo warhead type (See Revised Rifts Torpedoes), can fire missiles (Long Range or Cruise) in special canisters as well (See Revised bomb and missile table.)
Rate of Fire: One at a time or in volleys of two (2), three (3), or four (4) - Reloading takes one full melee round.
Payload: Four (4) Total (Has 20 torpedoes total for reloads) - Can carry two mines for each torpedo normally carried.
Maximum Effective Range: As per long range missile type (Go to Revised bomb and missile table.)
Mega Damage: As per long range missile type (Go to Revised bomb and missile table.)
Rate of Fire: One at a time or in volley of two (2), four (4), eight (8), or twelve (12 - all) and can be fired at multiple target at the same time.
Payload: Twelve (12) long range missiles total. Submarine carries no reloads.
Effect: 50% of decoying normal torpedoes and 20% of decoying smart torpedoes.
Rate of Fire: Two (2) at a time (Can be reloaded in one melee)
Payload: 20 Noisemakers
- Shadow Meld (8th Level) 20 PPE or 40 ISP
Impervious to Energy (8th level) 40 PPE or 80 ISP
Invisibility-Superior (8th Level) 40 PPE or 80 ISP
The submarine has all systems standard on a robot vehicle plus the following special features:
- Magical "Globe of Silence" Submarine Silencing Feature: This system is always active and it is an application of a modified version of the spell "Globe of Silence". The hull, propeller, and all exterior features are protected by this spell which extends outward by 1 foot (0.3 meters). This blocks all interior noises (including the launching of torpedoes) as well. This renders the submarine completely undetectable using active sonars and can only be detected by passive sonar by trying to find an area which there are no sounds (close to impossible, 5% chance with an incredible sonar operator). Torpedoes fired against the submarine have penalties of -10 to strike the submarine and lose all bonuses. If the enchantment is disabled, the submarine would be at +30% to de detected.
- Hull Sonar System: Sonar system in under the subs hull and must be extended before it can be used. Sonar system has a range of around 24 nautical miles (27.6 miles / 44.4 km). This hull sonar system has both a passive and active system built in. Sonar system can track up to 16 targets at one time and has a +10% to read sensor and weapon system skill rolls.
- Towed Array Sonar: Mounted just before the submarines propeller. The system is basically a long and very sensitive sonar system carried behind the submarine on a long cable. Sonar system has a range of around 90 nautical miles (103.7 miles/166.7 km). This towed array Sonar is a passive only sensor system. Sonar system can track up to 32 targets at one time.
- See the Invisible Optics: The submarine has several special optical systems with see the invisible on them including the periscopes. Same as spell and used at will. The optics have a 2,000 feet (610 meters) range. Can see forces, objects, and creatures which can turn invisible, or are invisible. Can also see vaporous beings and astral bodies.
- ESM: This system is mounted in mounted in the superstructure and is extended in a similar manner to a periscope. The antenna is very hard to detect both visually and by radar. Can detect another radar system at 125% of the range of the transmitting radar.
- P.P.E. Battery: The ship has a special P.P.E. battery, unlike similar systems in Phase World, it does not generate magical energy but stores magical energy. The system will store up to 500 P.P.E. and can be stored by crew members and absorbs P.P.E. from Ley Lines and Nexus Points. It will absorb P.P.E. at the rate of 20 per hour on ley lines and 40 per hour on nexus points.
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, and Xiticix TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 1999, 2000, & 2011, Kitsune. All rights reserved.