Techno Wizard "Nereid" Frigate:
Many techno-wizard designs are designed to emulate designs from the distance past, some looking like the vessels from what was known as the First World War. The frigate "Nereid" is a bit different. It is designed to look extremely advanced with a sleek hull and no visible stack. It has been suggested that the ship was built with the express purpose of hunting submarines especially Coalition ballistic missile submarines. There is concern about such boats, both because of who the Coalition might be willing to use the nuclear weapons against and that the use of the weapons could trigger a new Armageddon.
The vessel was built by a small group of techno-wizards who were not satisfied with the various vessels commonly available. It is believed that it took several years to construct the frigate. As well, they did not want to refit an old Pre-Rifts naval vessel. While only one has been built so far, there is rumor that there are other groups of techno-wizards interested in the vessel's design.
As an anti-submarine design, the Nereid is designed to be extremely quiet. Power is produced by magical electrical engines designed to produce extremely little sound. Extreme care was given towards keeping the ship as quiet as possible. Even the propellers are shrouded. In addition, the ship has a bubble masking system to hide the noise of the boat even further. As far as noise reduction, the ship actually rivals many submarines as far as how much noise is reduced.
For addition silencing, the frigate has a magical silencing system similar to what is fitted on many techno-wizard submarines. The enchantment forms a bubble of complete silence. While the enchantment is only active for ten minutes at a time and requires magical energy each time it is activated, the frigate is virtually undetectable when active. It is virtually impossible for a torpedo to lock onto the vessel. An engagement between this frigate and a similarly enchanted submarine would likely result in complete futility on both sides. Only problem with the enchantment is that the hull sonar is ineffective with the magic due to all the sounds being blanked out. Still, the towed array sonar is deployed outside of the sonar dampening field.
Fairly small for a frigate, the Nereid might be better described as a large corvette. It is only around two thousand tons. Unlike most converted vessels, the ship is made from high strength composite and alloys making it extremely tough. These materials make the ship extremely tough as well as being easier to repair than most magical materials. The superstructure is configured to reduce the radar cross signature to some extent although there are vessels with far lower radar cross signatures.
In addition to being extremely quiet, the electric engines are designed to be extremely powerful. Top speed is thirty-eight knots. The engines have to be recharged with magical energy every thousand nautical miles. It is recharged through the casting of lightning bolts into the engine. As long as a spell caster continues casting "Lighting" into the engines, the ship has virtually unlimited range.
As far as sensors, an advanced hull and towed array sonar are fitted. These are not as advanced as the most advance systems developed before the coming of the Rifts but they are more advanced than the sonar systems fitted to Coalition boats. Radar systems are less advanced, still the system has a range of around one hundred and eighty nautical miles and capable of tracking almost two hundred targets at one time. The Nereid carries a complete electronic warfare suite in addition to the main sensor systems. System includes both advanced sensory and jamming equipment. See the invisible optics allow the crew to see invisible targets.
Near the bow of the ship is a 76 mm gun mount. Basically the weapon mount is the Mk 75 Gun mount carried on a great number of Pre-Rifts United States vessels. The weapon mount appears to be salvaged although it is unknown what vessel it cam from. Extremely rapid firing and capable of engaging targets over four nautical miles away, the gun can engage, in addition to surface targets, aerial targets including fast moving missiles. A total of three hundred rounds are carried for the gun mount.
A pair of Lightning Blasters back up the main gun mount. Otherwise, the other weapon systems of the frigate are completely conventional in design. Mounted on either side of the frigate's bridge, these are designed to be able to track missiles but are not completely autonomous and have to be manned. The enchantments on these guns much be recharged once a month even if they are not used at all. Otherwise, the weapon mounts have a virtually unlimited payload.
On a raised deck behind the bow gun is an eight cell Mk 41 vertical launch system. Like the three inch gun mount, it is believed that the launcher is salvaged from a scrapped or destroyed vessel. Too short for cruise missiles, each cell can carry either two long range missiles or four medium range missiles. The ship usually carried four long range rocket boosted torpedoes and twenty-four medium range missiles. The rocket boosted anti-submarine torpedoes are extremely effective at dealing with submarines at long range. Other missiles such as standard long range missiles can be carried but rarely are.
While torpedoes find it almost impossible to lock on when the silence enchantment is used, missiles can be far more dangerous to the frigate. Just in case the medium range missiles are not enough defense against such attacks, the boat has a small box launcher with twelve short range missiles ready to engage "leakers." It is mounted aft above the helicopter flight deck. An additional twenty-four missiles are usually carried aboard although they have to be manually reloaded.
On either side of the hull are four long range missile canisters mounted together. Similar to old Pre-Rifts Harpoon canisters, these are designed to give the vessel some ability to strike at long range against surface targets, both on the water and on land, without using the Mk 41 launcher and reducing the anti-submarine and defensive missiles usually carried. Normally surface skimming cruise missiles are fired from these canisters.
As stated previously, one of the main roles of the frigate is to hunt submarines. As such, the Nereid, in addition to long range rocket boosted torpedoes, carried six 324 mm torpedo tubes in two banks of three tubes. One bank is mounted on each side in a concealed housing. Doors on the sides open when torpedoes are ready to be fired. Thirty-six torpedoes are carried for the tubes with an automatic reload system. This both reduces reload time and crew required. Unfortunately, enchanted torpedoes are too large to be fired from the medium range torpedo tubes.
There is a helicopter deck but not a conventional hanger. Instead, a small and lightweight dome can be opened up to protect the helicopter in high seas. Only relatively small helicopters and such craft can be protected in this manner. Larger craft can be embarked but cannot be protected properly. In such cases, the potential for loss is far greater than it might otherwise be. Still, even a small helicopter is an extremely effective tool against submarines. In addition, two dozen power armors can be carried. About half are usually conventional and half are usually magical.
Crew is extremely small, only around fifty. To be able to be operated by such a small crew, the frigate mounts impressive automation. Two of the crew need to be techno-wizards and two more being other spell casting types. Crew quarters are surprisingly comfortable with officers having individual staterooms and even enlisted only being berthed two to a room. Instead of having a conventional air conditioning plant, the Nereid has the magical “Sustain” enchantment.
There is a magical energy battery that while it does not recharge itself normally, it does recharge itself on Ley Lines and Nexus Points. Still, it is extremely useful to boost the magical energy of the frigate's crew. In addition to the previous enchantments, there is a magical “Fireworks” enchantment to decoy incoming missiles. More or less standard, there is protection against attack in the form of magic invisibility and becoming impervious to energy weapons as well. Of some concern, there is no magical forcefield to provide additional protection however.
Model Type: T.W. Light Frigate / Heavy Corvette
Vehicle Type: Ocean, Magically Enchanted Frigate / Corvette
Crew: 52 with at usually least 2 techno-wizard and 2 other spell casting types.
Troops: 2 Helicopter / Small VTOL Pilots, 12 “Angel of War” Power Armor Pilots, and Conventional Power Armor Troops.
Robots, Power Armors, and Vehicles:
|12||Conventional Flying Power Armors (Flying Titan, SAMAS, Predator, etc)|
|12||Techno Wizard “Angel of War” Body Armors / Power Armors|
|1||Light Helicopter or other Light VTOL Aircraft|
M.D.C. by location:
|Mk 75 Three inch (76-mm) / 62-cal (1, Forward):||180|
|Mk 41 Tactical eight cell Vertical Launch System (1, Forward):||80|
|Lightning Blaster Mounts (2, Sides of Bridge):||50 each|
|Long Range Missile Canisters (8 total, 4 per Side):||100 each|
|Short Range Missile Box Launchers (1, Aft):||60|
|Triple 12.75 inch (324 mm) Torpedo Launchers (2, Sides):||45 each|
|Torpedo Bays (2, Sides):||100 each|
| Radar System (Superstructure):||80|
|“Fireworks” Magic Chaff and Flare Dispensers (2, superstructure):||20 each|
|Folding Hanger (Aft):||125|
|Outer Hull (per 40 foot / 12.2 meter area):||80|
| Main Body:||1,250|
 Destroying Search Radar Tower will eliminate long range radar system. The ship still has backup systems approximately equal to those on robot vehicles.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body destroys the ship’s structural integrity, causing it to sink. There are enough flotation devices and inflatable life rafts to accommodate everyone aboard.
Surface: 43.76 mph (38 knots/ 70.42 kph)
Range: 1,000 nautical miles (1,151.5 miles / 1,853.2 km) for each full recharge (requires four “Call Lightning” for 60 P.P.E. due to size of engines.) Life support is “Sustain” spell and has effectively virtually unlimited duration (Requires 24 P.P.E. or 48 I.S.P. and has a duration of six days per activation.) The frigate carries about twelve months worth of supplies on board (“Sustain” provides all food requirements.)
Draft: 13.12 feet (4.0 meters) for hull and 20.34 feet (6.20 meters) including sonar dome
Width: 42.32 feet (12.9 meters)
Length: 317.59 feet (96.8 meters) waterline, 345.80 feet (105.4 meters) overall
Displacement: 1,650 tons light and 2,480 tons fully loaded
Cargo: 80 tons (72.57 metric tons) of nonessential equipment and supplies. Each enlisted crew member has a small locker for personal items and uniforms. Two enlisted share a single stateroom. Ships officers have more space for personal items and have individual staterooms. Most of the ship’s spaces are taken up by extra ammo, armor, troops, weapons, and engines.
Power System: Techno-Wizard Electrical Engine Conversion (Powered by “Call Lightning” spell)
Black Market Price: Not for Sale, would likely cost one hundred and fifty to two hundred million credits if sold.
- One (1) Mk 75 Three inch (76-mm) 62 Caliber Naval Gun: The ship mounts a rapid fire three inch gun on the front of the vessel near the bow. The gun is very reliable and fires very rapidly (About 85 rounds per minute). The barrel can be elevated up to 85 degrees and the mount can rotate 360 degrees. The main weaknesses of the gun are its relatively short range and the fact it cannot use rocket assisted projectiles. The gun was carried on many ship classes around the world until well into the twenty first century. The guns can be used against other ships, against ground targets, against aircraft and even against missiles.
- Two (2) Heavy Lightning Blasters: Mounted on the vessel are two lightning blasters. These are mounted on either side of the ship’s superstructure. Each one is controlled by a gunner and have a 360 degree rotation and 85 degree arc of fire. Additional optics and fire control have been added to enable the system to track and target aircraft and missiles. The weapon must be recharged once a month using the spells “Call Lightning”, "Energy Bolt", and 50 P.P.E.
- One (1) Tactical MK 41 Vertical Launch Missile Launchers: Mounted behind the three inch gun mount, the launcher has eight cells for missiles. These are the smaller tactical version of the missile launcher and cannot carry the longer cruise missile. From the beginning, the launchers have been found to be very flexible and adaptable. The launcher was originally design for the Tomahawk and Standard SM-2 Missile. On Rifts Earth, the launchers have been adapted to hold two long range missiles or four medium range missiles per cell. Long range missiles are normally used against aircraft and other large targets, and medium range missiles are normally used against closer targets such as incoming missiles. Rocket boosted anti-submarine torpedoes are often carried in launchers.
- Eight (8) Long Range Missile Launcher Tubes: These launchers are special canisters that are located on either side of the ship’s superstructure. Four are mounted together. These canisters were virtually copied from Old United States Harpoon canister launchers. While the launchers are reusable, they are still inexpensive and are easily jettisoned. While any long range missile type can be carried, usually special surface skimming missiles will be carried in launchers and are used against surface targets only.
- One (1) Short Range Missile Box Launcher: Similar to the old Pre-Rift RAM missile launcher although smaller, this acts as in close missile defense. Launcher is mounted on the superstructure forward of the helicopter pad. This missile mounts main purpose is for inner anti-missile point defense and was originally designed to deal with cruise missiles. Short Range Missiles are usually a mixture of 50% Armor Piercing and 50% Plasma. Launchers can lock onto multiple targets at the same. The systems missile launchers can target up six targets and can fire a volley up to twice per melee.
- Two (2) Triple 12.75 inch (324 mm) Torpedo Launchers: There is one launcher on each side of the ship and concealed when not in use. Each torpedo launcher has three torpedo tubes and tubes are 12.75 inch (324 mm) wide. Torpedoes are normally used against submarines but can be targeted on surface targets as well. The tubes have an automatic reloading system and can be fired quickly. Ship carries thirty-six reloads for torpedoes. For the most part torpedo warheads are equal to medium range missile warheads.
- Two (2) Fireworks Anti-Missile Chaff/Flare Dispensers: In many ways this system is similar to technological versions of the Chaff/Flare system. When the system fires, it looks like fireworks firing. The anti-missile system works by combining three spells. The three spells are Fire Bolt, Apparition, and Telekinesis. The physical effects of the system are similar to the Triax Anti-Missile chaff but instead of being reloaded, it is recharged by spells.
Maximum Effective Range: 4.9 miles (4.3 nautical miles/8.0 km) for standard projectiles
Mega-Damage: High Explosive: 1D4x10 M.D.C. with 10 ft (3 m) blast radius per single shot and 3D4x10 M.D.C. with 20 ft (6.1 m) blast radius for three round burst. High Explosive Armor Piercing: 1D6x10 M.D.C. with 4 ft (1.2 m) blast radius per single shot and 3D6x10 M.D.C. with 8 ft blast radius for three round burst. Plasma: 2D4x10 M.D.C. with 12 ft (3.7 m) blast radius per single shot and 6D4x10 M.D.C. with 25 ft (7.6 m) blast radius for three round burst.
Rate of Fire: Equal to Gunners Hand to Hand (Three round bursts count as one attack).
Payload: 300 rounds. Ship normally carries usually carries 100 High Explosive, 100 High Explosive Armor Piercing, and 100 Plasma (eighty rounds are ready to fire.)
Maximum Effective Range: 4,000 feet (1,220 meters).
Mega Damage: 1D4x10+10 per electrical blaster.
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined hand to hand attacks of the gunner (usually 4 or 5).
Payload: Effectively Unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: As per long range, or medium range missile type (See revised missile table).
Mega Damage: As per long range, or medium range missile type (See revised missile table).
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), or eight (8) missiles per melee and can be fired at multiple targets at the same time.
Payload: Eight (8) cells for missiles in vertical launcher system. Two long range missiles, or four medium range missiles may be carried per cell. Usually a total of four (4) long rocket launched torpedoes and twenty-four (24) medium range missiles are carried. Ship carries no reloads.
Maximum Effective Range: As per long range missile type (Surface skimming missiles have 25% less range than normal long range missile, Go to revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: As per long range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), or eight (8 - All launcher operates together) missiles.
Payload: One missiles each launcher for a grand total of eight long range missiles (Has no missiles in storage for reloads).
Note: SAM style missiles are missiles that sacrifice payload for higher speeds, see Chris Curtis' modified missile table for specifics.
Maximum Effective Range: As per short range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: As per short range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), or six (6) missiles and can be used up to twice per melee. Reloading launcher requires two minutes (six missiles per minute); twice as long if the crew is not familiar with the loading procedure.
Payload: Twelve (12) short range missiles. The vessel carries a total of twenty-four (24) short range missiles for reloads.
Maximum Effective Range: 20 miles (32 km)
Mega Damage: By Medium torpedo warhead type (See revised Rifts torpedoes for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire torpedoes one at a time or in volleys of two (2) or three (3) torpedoes per side, launcher can fire a maximum of two volleys per melee each launcher.
Payload: Three (3) torpedoes each launcher for a grand total of six (6) torpedoes [Has thirty-six (36) torpedoes for reloads]
- 01-35 - Enemy missile or missile volley detonates in chaff cloud - Missiles
are all destroyed.
36-60 - Enemy missile or missile volley loses track of real target and veers away in wrong direction (May lock onto another target.)
61-00 - No effect, enemy missile or missile volley is still on target.
Duration: 1D4 melee rounds.
Payload: 10 Uses before being recharged. Each launcher is recharged by the spells Apparition (20 P.P.E.), Fire Bolt (7 P.P.E.), and Telekinesis (8 P.P.E.). The cost for all launchers to be recharged is 70 P.P.E. All launchers must be activated at the same time to operate correctly.
Duration: 10 minutes per activation.
P.P.E. Cost: 40 each activation.
- Sustain (6th Level) - 6 P.P.E. or 12 I.S.P. (24 P.P.E. or 48 I.S.P.)
Chameleon (6th Level) - 6 P.P.E. or 12 I.S.P. (24 P.P.E. or 48 I.S.P.)
Impervious to Energy (6th Level) - 20 P.P.E. or 40 I.S.P. (80 P.P.E. or 160 I.S.P.)
Invisibility-Superior (6th Level) - 20 P.P.E. or 40 I.S.P. (80 P.P.E. or 160 I.S.P.)
The ship has all systems standard on a robot vehicle (non environmental) plus the following special features:
- Long Range 3D Air Search Radar: Long range air search radar system which tracks both distance and altitude to target. Has a 173.68 nautical miles (200 mile / 322 km) range and can track up to 192 different targets and target up to 48 simultaneous.
- Hull Sonar System: Mounted under the bow of the ship and is similar to powerful Pre-Rifts Hull Sonar systems. Sonar system has a range of around 16 nautical miles (18.4 miles / 29.6 km). This hull sonar system has both a passive and active system built in. Sonar system can track up to 16 targets at one time. Does not extend outside of the “Globe of Silence” sphere when active and does not function when field is active.
- Towed Array Sonar: Based on powerful Pre-Rifts Towed Array Sonar systems. The system is basically a long and very sensitive sonar system carried behind the ship on a long cable. Sonar system has a range of around 90 nautical miles (103.64 miles/166.79 km). This towed array Sonar is a passive only sensor system. Sonar system can track up to 32 targets at one time. The towed array does extended outside of the “Globe of Silence” sphere around the frigate when it is active and is unaffected as a result.
- Advanced Integrated Electronic Warfare System (AIEWS): Combination of radar detection system (ESM) and an active jamming system. The system can detect another radar system at 125% of the range of the transmitting radar. In jamming mode, causes -25% to detection but when it is active, other vehicles/ bases can detect that it is jamming, and some missiles will home in on jamming signals. Jamming also causes a -4 penalty to all radar guided weapons.
- Radar Defeating Profile: The ship superstructure is designed so that the radar profile of the ship is reduced. Because of this, attempts to detect the ship using radar are made with a -10% penalty to read sensor rolls when attempting to detect this ship. Go to General Detection Penalties for more information on penalties and bonuses to use with stealth.
- Sonar Masking System: The ship uses water bubbles to form a barrier against sonar as well as having shrouded propellers and a generally quieted propulsion system. Gives a -30% penalty to any Read Sensory Instrument rolls to detect this ship using sonar.
- Magical “See the Invisible” Optics: The ship has several special optical systems with see the invisible on them. Same as spell and used at will. 2,000 feet (610 meters) range. Can see forces, objects, and creatures which can turn invisible, or are invisible. Can also see vaporous beings and astral bodies.
- P.P.E. Battery: The ship has a special P.P.E. battery, unlike similar systems in Phase World, it does not generate magical energy but stores magical energy. The system will store up to 500 P.P.E. and can be stored by crew members and absorbs P.P.E. from Ley Lines and Nexus Points. It will absorb P.P.E. at the rate of 20 per hour on ley lines and 40 per hour on nexus points.
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2011, Kitsune. All rights reserved.