Techno-Wizard Converted Cruiser "USS Olympia":
A Techno-Wizard found what could only be called the remnants of the cruiser Olympia near where the city Philadelphia had once been and decided that it would be worth the effort to restore the ship. It is one of the first vessels Pre-Rifts believed to have been converted to techno-wizardry
The Olympia was at one time a very famous ship and was Admiral George Dewey's flagship in the Battle of Manila during the Spanish American War. As a result of the cruiser's pivotal role in the Spanish American War, it was restored to a similar state to when it was the flagship of the admiral and preserved as a museum ship.
In order to restore the vessel, the Techno-Wizard recruited as many people as he could including other techno-wizards, operators, and many other types of spell casters. Through repeated uses of the spell "Mend the Broken" the magic workers were able to restore the ship to its preserved Pre-Rifts condition. Once the ship was restored, a complicated use of magic was able to make the ship virtually equal to most ships constructed after the coming of the Rifts. The end result after many years of labor is one of the most advanced magical constructs on Rifts Earth.
It was decided that the final step would be to convert the hull to a much stronger material with magic and only when the ship was just about finished was it converted. It was converted using a specially developed spell that makes normal steel and iron the equal of the super alloys on Rifts Earth. The reason it was done last was to enable the modification of the ship with less work involved.
One of the first conversions of the restored ship was to convert the ship from conventional steam propulsion to a techno-wizard steam system. The ship had a total of four coal fired boilers. Incredibly messy, such boilers had to be fed by shovel and coal produced a tremendous amount of smoke and soot. Each boiler is now magical fired and simply requires magical energy to be recharged. The ship needs its engines recharged every five hundred nautical miles and some modifications to the hull, including a modified bulbous bow, allows for a slightly higher top speed. It would have required virtually dismantling the whole ship to mount a modern fusion plant and was not even serious considered. A special modification to the boiler system also enables them to generate a cloud of fog to hide the ship.
Purely techno-wizard magical sensors were discussed but conventional technological sensor systems in most ways are superior so the ship’s main sensors are pure technology based. They purchased a modified version of the Pre-Rifts SPS-49 Radar System, an old towed array sonar, and a hull sonar all from Golden Age Weaponsmiths. The radar is the only non period piece of equipment visible on the exterior ship and it is mounted on the forward mast which had to be heavily reinforced to properly support. In addition to increasing the ships's top speed, the bulbous bow mounts the hull sonar system. The ship also has radar detection and jamming equipment but those are concealed as part of the ship’s superstructure. As well, communication systems were fitted. These were previously completely lacking. The ship has improved fire control optics and also has 'See the Invisible' placed on several of the optics. Because much of the equipment of the ship now uses magical energy, the ship has a special system that gathers P.P.E. when at a Ley Line or Nexus Point.
Weaponry was a huge hurdle and various ideas were discussed by the designers with the eventual idea being actually relatively simple. The eight inch guns were retained but were modified to fire at a better rate and so that they could be raised to a higher elevation. In addition to extended range rounds, several magical shell types were designed for the eight inch cannons as well. The ship has ten five inch guns, with five on either side of the ship. Like the eight inch guns, the rate of fire has been increased but due to the fact that the guns are in casemates, the arc of fire of the cannons could not be increased by a significant margin. As well, the techno-wizards have been unable to develop smaller enchanted rounds. Extended range rounds are available but rarely are carried. The light weaponry has been removed with the exception of four Gatling cannons which have been converted to telekinetic machine guns.
Due to the fact that modern torpedoes are far more effective than the original torpedo tubes were before they were removed, new 12.75 inch torpedo tubes have been mounted where the original 18 inch tubes were mounted. The ship has a total of six torpedo tubes with two to either side, one forward, and one aft. These are effective against both submarines and surface targets.
The results of all the modifications to the main battery was a ship that could destroy most ships if it could get within gun range but missiles could easily destroy it long before it gets within range so a form of an anti-missile system had to be constructed. Two defense systems were developed. The first is called fireworks. It is a magically generated chaff and flare system that the name is derived from the fact that it looks like fireworks are being set off when it is activated. The other system is much more powerful and is quite effective at taking out missiles. It creates a magical shockwave from the ship that can knock all the missiles from the sky. The main limitation of this defense system is that it can only be activated once per melee.
Ships of the late Nineteenth Century were very uncomfortable. As a result, the enchantment of “Sustain” was added to the vessel so the crew could live in far more comfort than the original crews were. This also allows the ship to be fully protected against environmental conditions and gas attacks. At the same time, water generating systems were replaced by magical versions and the ship was divided into crew quarters. Original, the crew slept on hammocks, although ship’s officers had relatively comfortable quarters, and the original sanitary facilities were sketchy at very best.
Due to the fact that the size of crew has been reduced, it was possible to carry a reasonable number of troops as well. Berthing areas have been designed for up to one hundred troops with space for half of them to have mystic power armors. Due to there being no place to carry one, the ship does not have facilities for embarking aircraft. Still, it has been considered that carrying a few sky cycles might be extremely helpful in the scouting and defensive rolls.
Model Type: TW-C6
Vehicle Type: Ocean, M.D.C. Converted Armored Cruiser
Crew: 125 (Original crew was 428) with usually at least 4 techno-wizard and 4 other spell casting types.
Troops: 100 (50 pilots for Mystic Power Armors, 50 soldiers in body armor)
Robots, Power Armors, and Vehicles:
|50||Mystic Power Armors|
M.D.C. by location:
|Eight Inch Cannon Barrels (4, 2 each turret)||200 each|
|Eight Inch Cannon Turrets (2 - Double mounts):||450 each|
|Five Inch Cannons (10, 5 on each side)||125 each|
|Telekinetic Gatling Cannons (4, 2 each side of main deck):||100 each|
|12.75 inch (324 mm) Torpedo Tubes (6):||35 each|
|“Fireworks” Magic Chaff and Flare Dispensers (8, superstructure):||20 each|
| SPS-49 Radar System:||200|
|Outer Hull ((per 40 foot / 12.2 meter area):||60|
| Main Body:||2,100|
 Destroying SPS-49 radar system will eliminate all forms of long range radar. The ship does not any form of short range radar system.
 If Control Bridge is destroyed, the ship can still be piloted from engineering but with a -15% to piloting rolls due to using emergency controls. Communication and sensor equipment are not concentrated on the bridge to reduce the effectiveness of bridge hits.
 Destroying the main body causes the ship to lose structural integrity, causing the ship to sink. There are enough life preservers and inflatable life boats to accommodate everyone on the ship.
Surface: 27.6 mph (24 knots/44.4 kph). The ship can operate at three quarters speed on half boilers and can operate at half speed on one boiler.
Range: 575.4 miles (500 nautical miles / 926 km) for each full recharge (requires 100 P.P.E.) Each boiler can propel the ship for up 125 nautical miles (requires 25 P.P.E. each). The ship carries three months worth of supplies on board. Life support is “Sustain” spell and has effectively virtually unlimited duration (Requires 24 P.P.E. or 48 I.S.P. and has a duration of ten days per activation.)
Length: 344 feet (104.9 meters)
Draft: 21.5 feet (6.6 meters) not including sonar dome.
Width: 53 feet (16.2 meters)
Displacement: 6,500 tons full load
Cargo: 200 tons (181.4 metric tons) of nonessential equipment and supplies. Each enlisted crew member has a small locker for personal items and uniforms. Ship’s officers have more space for personal items. Most of the ship’s spaces are taken up by extra ammo, armor, troops, weapons, and engines.
Power System: Was original steam propulsion but has been converted to a Magical power supply. Techno-Wizard Electric Generators provide power aboard the vessel (Require four lightning bolts / 60 P.P.E. to recharge.)
Black Market Cost: Not for Sale. If sold, it would be worth upwards of 400 to 600 million credits.
- Two (2) Double Barrel Eight Inch (203 mm) Naval Guns: The ship has a double barrel eight inch gun turret on the front of the ship and a double barrel eight inch gun turret on the rear of the ship. Various ideas for magical style cannons were explored but ir was eventually decided that simple eight inch guns would be the best and the cannon design was retained. Special magical shells have been designed for the cannon though and the cannons can also use rocket assisted projectiles for extended range although normally only a very small number are carried. The cannons were modified to be faster reload (same reloading system as carried on the Sea King class cruiser) and to have a higher angle of fire. The eight inch cannons can be used against air targets as well as well as against surface targets
- Ten (10) Five Inch (127 mm) Naval Guns in Casemates: Five are mounted on either side of the ship. The cannons look like the original cannons but they are an automatic model with a higher rate of fire. The guns have a limited arc of fire due to the fact that they are mounted in casemates and cannot be used against air targets. The cannons add enough firepower to the ship to be retained and the cannons can be used against other ships and against ground targets. The cannons can use rocket assisted projectiles but they are not normally carried.
- Four (4) Telekinetic Gatling Cannons: Mounts have been enchanted by a series of spells so the cannons act as a more powerful version of the Telekinetic Machine gun. This increases the weapons damage and instead of being reloaded, the cannons must be recharged by the spell Telekinesis and 100 P.P.E. once per month. The cannon does full damage to targets that are impervious to energy. Additional optics and fire control have been added to enable the system to track and target aircraft and missiles.
- Six (6) 12.75 inch (324 mm) Torpedo Turbes/ Launchers: The ship has two torpedo tubes on each side of the ship and one forward and one aft. The original tubes were removed long before the ship even became a museum ship but new ones have been placed on the ship and are useful against both submarines and surface ships. The ship carries caries 36 reloads for torpedoes.
- Magical “Shockwave” Defense System: When it is activated, a circular energy wave is emanated from the ship in all directions. The blast is semi-spherical and effects travel upwards as well. The blast does not effect targets underwater. It is longer ranged version of the eight level spell shockwave. Unfortunately, the spell can only be activated once per melee and requires magical energy every time it is activated. It is mostly used to destroy incoming missiles. The system does not effect people and equipment on the deck of the ship
- Eight (8) Fireworks Anti-Missile Chaff/Flare Dispensers: In many ways this system is similar to technological versions of the Chaff/Flare system. When the system fires, it looks like fireworks firing. The anti-missile system works by combining three spells. The three spells are Fire Bolt, Apparition, and Telekinesis. The physical effects of the system are similar to the Triax Anti-Missile chaff but instead of being reloaded, it is recharged by spells. Only useful against missiles, not useful against torpedoes underwater.
Maximum Effective Range: 20 miles (17.4 nm/32.2 km) for standard projectiles. 30 miles (36 nm/48.2 km) for rocket propelled rounds.
Mega-Damage: Standard Projectiles: 4D6x10 to a blast radius of 50 ft (15.2 m) for High Explosive, 6D6x10 to a blast radius of 10 ft (3 m) for High Explosive Armor Piercing, and 8D6x10 to a blast radius of 50 ft (15.2 m) for Plasma. Rocket projectiles: 3D6x10 to a blast radius of 30 feet (9.1 m) for High Explosive, 4D6x10 to a blast radius of 6 ft (2 m) for High Explosive Armor Piercing, and 5D6x10 to a blast radius of 30 feet (9.1 m) for Plasma. Magical Warheads: Treat as spells of the same level cast at eighth level: Negate Mechanics, Annihilate, Electromagnetism, Hurricane, Tornado, and Tidal wave. Others are possible as well but are not common. Cannons can also use special purpose warheads, use the statistics for 203 mm artillery warheads (Go to Battlefield Artillery for Rifts for more information - standard or rocket assisted as appropriate.)
Rate of Fire: Two shots per barrel per melee (Can fire up to 4 shots per turret per melee or up to 8 shots with both turrets).
Payload: 240 Rounds (120 per turret), usually carries 20 High Explosive, 40 High Explosive Armor Piercing, 60 Plasma, 20 Rocket Propelled High Explosive Armor Piercing, 20 Rocket Propelled Plasma rounds, and 60 magical warheads of various types (Only 4 Annihilates because they are very expensive).
Maximum Effective Range: 12 miles (10.4 nm/19.3 km) for standard projectiles, 20 miles (17.4 nm/32.2 km) for rocket propelled rounds (If actually carried).
Mega-Damage: Standard Projectiles: 2D6x10 to a blast radius of 25 ft (7.7 m) for High Explosive, 3D6x10 to a blast radius of 6 ft (2 m) for High Explosive Armor Piercing, and 4D6x10 to a blast radius of 25 ft (7.7 m) for Plasma. Rocket projectiles (If Carried): 2D4x10 to a blast radius of 20 ft (6.1 m) for High Explosive, 2D6x10 to a blast radius of 4 ft (1.2 m) for High Explosive Armor Piercing, and 3D6x10 to a blast radius of 20 ft (6.1 m) for Plasma. Cannons can also use special purpose warheads, use the statistics for 105 mm artillery warheads (Go to Battlefield Artillery for Rifts for more information - standard or rocket assisted as appropriate.)
Rate of Fire: Maximum of four per melee per cannon.
Payload: 4,000 rounds (400 per gun mount), Usually carries 1000 High Explosive, 1000 High Explosive Armor Piercing, and 2,000 Plasma, Ship will carry special rounds only when employed in artillery roles.
Maximum Effective Range: 4,000 feet (1,220 meters).
Mega Damage: 12D6
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined hand to hand attacks of the gunner (usually 4 or 5).
Payload: Unlimited, although the spells (100 P.P.E. each cannon) on each must be renewed every month whether the cannon have been used or not.
Maximum Effective Range: 20 miles (32 km)
Mega Damage: By Medium torpedo warhead type (See revised Rifts torpedoes for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire torpedoes one at a time per torpedo tube (Torpedoes can be fired in volleys of two to either side), Reloading takes one full melee.
Payload: 2 torpedo each side and one on front and back for a grand total of 6 torpedoes (Has a total of 36 torpedoes for reloads)
Maximum Effective Range: 1,000 feet (305 meters) in all directions
Mega Damage: 1D4x10 to all targets within radius of effect (S.D.C. objects will be completely destroyed). The system also inflicts knock as per the spell “Shockwave” on page 144 of World Book 16: Federation of Magic. (General Guideline: If the shockwave does not destroy the incoming missiles then missiles of medium range and smaller have an 88% of being knocked from the air, long range missiles have a 50% chance of being knocked out of the air, and cruise missiles have a 20% of being knocked out of the air)
Rate of Fire: Once per melee
Payload: One, requires 35 P.P.E. to be activated again
- 01-35 - Enemy missile or missile volley detonates in chaff cloud - Missiles
are all destroyed.
36-60 - Enemy missile or missile volley loses track of real target and veers away in wrong direction (May lock onto another target.)
61-00 - No effect, enemy missile or missile volley is still on target.
Duration: 1D4 melee rounds.
Payload: 10 Uses before being recharged. Each launcher is recharged by the spells Apparition (20 P.P.E.), Fire Bolt (7 P.P.E.), and Telekinesis (8 P.P.E.). The cost for all launchers to be recharged is 280 P.P.E. All launchers must be activated at the same time to operate correctly.
Range: 6,000 feet (1,830 meters) in all directions
Effect: Produces a fog bank that obscures vision. Visibility is reduced to 60 feet inside the cloud and even with thermal sensors, a penalty of -2 to strike parry and dodge
Payload: Effectively Unlimited
- Sustain (10th Level) - 6 P.P.E. or 12 I.S.P. (24 P.P.E. or 48 I.S.P.)
Shadow Meld (10th Level) - 10 P.P.E. or 20 I.S.P. (40 P.P.E. or 80 I.S.P.)
Impervious to Energy (10th Level) - 20 P.P.E. or 40 I.S.P. (80 P.P.E. or 160 I.S.P.)
Invisibility-Superior (10th Level) - 20 P.P.E. or 40 I.S.P. (80 P.P.E. or 160 ISP)
The ship has all systems standard on a robot vehicle plus the following special features:
- SPS-49 Radar: Long range air search Pre-Rifts radar system. Radar system has a range of 445 nautical miles (512.1 miles / 824.1 km). Radar system can track up to 128 targets simultaneously.
- SQS-53 Hull Sonar System: Mounted under the bow of the ship. Sonar system has a range of around 16 nautical miles (18.4 miles / 29.6 km). This hull sonar system has both a passive and active system built in. Sonar system can track up to 16 targets at one time
- SQR-19 Towed Array Sonar: The system is basically a long and very sensitive sonar system carried behind the ship on a long cable. Sonar system has a range of around 75 nautical miles (86.3 miles/139.9 km). This towed array Sonar is a passive only sensor system. Sonar system can track up to 32 targets at one time.
- Advanced Integrated Electronic Warfare System (AIEWS): Combination of radar detection system (ESM) and an active jamming system. The system can detect another radar system at 125% of the range of the transmitting radar. In jamming mode, causes -25% to detection but when it is active, other vehicles/ bases can detect that it is jamming, and some missiles will home in on jamming signals. Jamming also causes a -4 penalty to all radar guided weapons.
- Magical “See the Invisible” Optics: The ships has several special optical systems with see the invisible on them. Same as spell and used at will. 2,000 feet (610 meters) range. Can see forces, objects, and creatures which can turn invisible, or are invisible. Can also see vaporous beings and astral bodies.
- P.P.E. Battery: The ship has a special P.P.E. battery, unlike similar systems in Phase World, it does not generate magical energy but stores magical energy. The system will store up to 500 P.P.E. and can be stored by crew members and absorbs P.P.E. from Ley Lines and Nexus Points. It will absorb P.P.E. at the rate of 20 per hour on ley lines and 40 per hour on nexus points.
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 1998 to 2001, & 2011, Kitsune. All rights reserved.