Techno Wizard Seehund (Seal) Mini-Submarine:
With the popularity of larger techno-wizard submarines, it was decided to develop a mini-submarine using many of the same ideas. The idea was that the submarine that was less expensive than the larger submarines as well as having a smaller crew. Many of the design features which went into the Seewolf submarine was incorporated in the smaller submarine to make it more effective. Even though less expensive than the Seewolf class, the Seehund is still relatively costly.
It is believed that the remnants of a small German mini-sub known as the Type XXVII was used as a basis of the design and it is known that several had been preserved. By the time the techno-wizard mini-submarine design as completed, the design was virtually a different submarine although the original name of the type XXVII was retained. The name "Seehund" is German for "Seal." The dimensions remained similar but the appearance was radically with a net cutter design on the bow.
Magic is incorporated in these submarines and they would not function properly without the enchantment. One of the most obvious items is that propulsion is via a powerful electric motor but there are no actual batteries. Instead, the electric is fed by magical energies, usually from the crew. As long as the enchantments can be sustained, the submarine had virtually unlimited range. It has a single propeller, not a pump jet as is mounted in most advanced submarines. Top speed is sixteen knots underwater and twenty knots on the surface with the hull being modified for a higher speed, especially underwater. Maximum depth is five hundred meters although rarely operated below about three hundred meters.
Another important enchantment is the spell of “Globe of Silence” around the mini-submarine. Without the enchantment, the mini-submarine is not particularly quiet. Each time the spell is activated, the spell lasts for ten minutes and makes the mini-submarine almost impossible to detect. The best trick is to look for areas where it is too quiet. Does not help much in targeting and it has been found to be almost impossible to target vessels with these enchantments with torpedoes. The submarine also has the more conventional enchantments of "Shadow Meld" and "Invisibly Superior."
The hull is constructed from conventional high strength alloys and composites. Along with reducing building costs, this is much easier to repair than if enchanted materials were used. The mini submarine is however protected by a light “Armor of Ithan” magical force field. This force field can be activated up to three times per day. There is also the enchantment of "Impervious to Energy" which must be powered by magical energy from the crew.
The submarine does not have conventional oxygen scrubbers and would be very limited without magic on how long it could stay underwater as a result. The submarine has the enchantment of “Sustain” however which gives virtually unlimited duration and even makes basic needs not an issue with the two man crew not needing to eat or drink while the enchantment is active. One problem is that there is very little in the manner of crew comforts with no actual bunking and long term operations are a chore at best.
As far as weaponry, the submarine carries medium torpedoes internally and can mount externally a pair of heavy torpedoes. The submarine carries a total of four medium torpedo tubes in the bow with one reload for a total of eight torpedoes. While the medium torpedoes are meant for a variety of targets, the two heavy torpedoes are designed mainly against large vessels. They are mounted under the hull to either side. In some cases, interceptor torpedoes are carried instead of standard torpedoes. For self defense against torpedoes, the submarine does have noise makers although using the enchantment of "Globe of Silence." is generally far more effective. On the superstructure is a single retractable telekinetic Gatling machine gun. As with most such systems, the weapon has to be recharged each month even if not used.
Sonar range is limited compared to larger vessels. There is a short range hull sonar coupled with a longer ranged towed sonar array. Still, the range of the towed array sonar is limited compared to larger submarines. Hull sonar has a range of eight nautical mile and towed array has a range of forty nautical miles. The enchantment of “Globe of Silence” prevents the hull sonar from being effective while active but the towed array extends out from the globe, allowing it to function normally. The mini-submarine has a small periscope with the enchantment of "See the Invisible."
Model Type: Techno Wizard Type XXVII-TW
Vehicle Type: Ocean, Magical Attack Mini-Submarine
Crew: Two (one needs to be a spell caster.)
M.D.C. by location:
|12.75 inch (324 mm) Torpedo Tubes (4, Bow of Submarine):||25 each|
|21 inch (533 mm) External Torpedoes (2, Under Hull)||30 each|
|Retractable Single T.K. Machine-Guns (1, Bridge):||75|
|Main Sail / Bridge:||200|
| Bow Planes (2):||60 each|
| Propeller (1):||80|
| Main Body:||450|
| Magical “Armor of Ithan” Force Field (Three Times per Day):||100|
 Destroying the submarines bow planes will reduce the submarines ability to change depths but will not eliminate it. It also makes it difficult for the submarines crew to control the submarine giving a penalty of -25% to all piloting rolls.
 Destroying the submarine's propeller causes serious problem. The submarine will no longer be able to use forward momentum and the bow planes to keep the submarine level. It is recommended that ballast takes are immediately blown so submarine comes to surface. Destruction of one propeller reduces the submarine's top speed by half.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body destroys the submarine's structural integrity, causing it to sink. If the submarine is underwater, the entire crew will die unless protected by environmental armors that can withstand the pressure that the submarine is under. If on the surface, there are enough flotation devices and inflatable life rafts to accommodate everyone aboard.
 As per the spell “Armor of Ithan” - Magic, fire, lightning, and cold all inflict one-half damage. Each activation lasts for 10 minutes (40 melee rounds.)
Surface: 23.02 mph (20 knots /37.04 kph)
Underwater: 18.42 mph (16 knots/ 29.65 kph)
Maximum Depth: 1,640.4 feet (500 meters) - Usually does not operate below 984.3 feet (300 meters)
Range: 1,000 nautical miles (1,151.5 miles / 1,853.2 km) for each "recharge" (requires a single "Call Lightning - 15 P.P.E..) Life support is “Sustain” spell and has effectively virtually unlimited duration (Requires 12 P.P.E. or 24 I.S.P. and has a duration of four days per activation.) The submarine carries about one week worth of supplies on board (“Sustain” provides all food requirements.)
Length: 39.21 feet (11.95 meters)
Draft: 3.94 feet (1.20 meters)
Width: 5.74 feet (1.75 meters)
Displacement: 16.5 long tons surface and 18 long tons submerged
Cargo: Submarine is very cramped, minimal space 440.92 lbs (200 kg) of nonessential equipment and supplies. Most of the boat's spaces are take up by extra torpedoes, weapons, and engines.
Power System: Techno-Wizard Electrical Engine Conversion (Powered by “Call Lightning” spell)
Black Market Cost: Quite expensive and rare, average cost of 25 to 30 million credits.
- One (1) Retractable Telekinetic Machine-Gun: Mounted forward in the mini-submarine's superstructure. Enchanted by a series of spells so the cannon acts as a more powerful version of the Telekinetic Machine-Gun. This increases the weapon's damage and instead of being reloaded, the cannon must be recharged by the spell Telekinesis and 50 P.P.E. once per month. The cannon does full damage to targets that are impervious to energy. Weapon mounts have advanced fire control to track and target missiles and other small airborne targets. Can be extended underwater to target torpedoes and other underwater targets.
- Two (2) Externally Mounted 21 inch (533 mm) Heavy Torpedoes: Instead of carrying torpedoes in tubes, the submarine mounts two heavy torpedoes externally. Almost always used against larger vessels, these torpedoes can be devastating. The heavy torpedoes are mounted to either side of the hull near the bottom. For warheads, heavy torpedoes should be treated as having long missiles warheads. Interceptor torpedoes are sometimes carried instead of standard torpedoes. There are also special techno-wizard torpedoes available.
- Four (4) 12.75 inch (324 mm) Medium Torpedo Tubes: On the bow of the submarine are four modern torpedo tubes. Tubes are 12.75 inch (324 mm) wide and torpedoes can be used against both surface ships and submarines. The submarine has an automatic reloading system to reduce crew. Treat warheads as medium range missile warheads. Along with standard torpedoes, interceptor and rocket boosted anti-submarine torpedoes can also be fired. Submarine carries eight reloads for torpedoes total.
- Magical “Globe of Silence” Submarine Silencing Feature: Unlike on the Nautilus class submarine, this enchantment is not always active but instead needs to be activated when needed. The enchantment is an application of a modified version of the spell “Globe of Silence”. The hull, propellers, and all exterior features are protected by this spell which extends outward by 1 foot (0.3 meters). This blocks all interior noises (including the launching of torpedoes) as well. This renders the submarine completely undetectable using active sonars and can only be detected by passive sonar by trying to find an area which there are no sounds (close to impossible, 5% chance with an incredible sonar operator). Torpedoes fired against the submarine have penalties of -10 to strike the submarine and lose all bonuses. The hull sonar of the submarine does not extend out from the silencing system but the towed array sonar does. Without the "Globe of the Silence", the Submarine has no penalties to detect above five knots. Below five knots, there is a -10% penalty to be detected.
- Noisemakers: The submarine carries noisemakers to decoy torpedoes. They are most effective against normal torpedoes and less effective against "smart" torpedoes. The noisemakers are launched from the middle of the submarine. Considered effective useless when “Globe of Silence” is active by most captains / crews.
- Techno-Wizard Modifications: The Seehund has the following Techno-Wizard Modifications built into the boat. These require P.P.E. or I.S.P. from the boats crew.
Maximum Effective Range: 4,000 feet (1,220 meters).
Mega Damage: 6D6
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined hand to hand attacks of the observer / gunner (usually 4 or 5).
Payload: Unlimited, although the spells must be renewed every month whether the cannon have been used or not (costs 50 P.P.E..)
Maximum Effective Range: Standard torpedoes have a range of 40 miles (64 km)
Mega Damage: By Heavy torpedo warhead type (See revised Rifts torpedoes for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire torpedoes one at a time or in volleys of two (2) torpedoes.
Payload: Two (2) total (Carries no reloads.)
Maximum Effective Range: 20 miles (32 km).
Mega Damage: By Medium torpedo warhead type (See revised Rifts torpedoes for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire torpedoes one at a time or in volleys of two (2), three (3), or four (4) torpedoes - Reloading takes one full melee round.
Payload: Four (4) Total (Has 8 torpedoes total for reloads.)
Duration: 10 minutes per activation.
P.P.E. Cost: 20 each activation
Effect: 50% of decoying normal torpedoes and 20% of decoying smart torpedoes.
Rate of Fire: Two (2) at a time (Can be reloaded in one melee)
Payload: 20 Noisemakers
- Sustain (4th Level) - 12 P.P.E. or 24 I.S.P.
Shadow Meld (4th Level) - 10 P.P.E. or 20 I.S.P.
Impervious to Energy (4th Level) - 20 P.P.E. or 40 I.S.P.
Invisibility-Superior (4th Level) - 20 P.P.E. or 40 I.S.P.
The submarine has all systems standard on a robot vehicle plus the following special features:
- Hull Sonar System: Range of 9.2 miles (8 nautical miles / 14.8 km). This hull sonar system has both a passive and active system built in. Sonar system can track up to 24 targets at one time and has a +10% to read sensor and weapon system skill rolls. Sonar also has built in communication system and sound pulse system to detect obstacles, objects, vessels and fish (schools and large animals), as well as measure distances and depth. Does not extend outside of the “Globe of Silence” sphere when active and does not function when field is active.
- Towed Array Sonar: The system is basically a long and very sensitive sonar system carried behind the submarine on a long cable. Range of 46.0 miles (40 nautical miles / 74.1 km). This towed array sonar system has both a passive and active system built in (although active systems are rarely used.) Sonar system can track up to 36 targets at one time. The towed array does extended outside of the “Globe of Silence” sphere around the submarine when it is active and is unaffected as a result.
- Magical “See the Invisible” Optics: The submarine has several special optical systems with see the invisible on them including the periscope. Same as spell and used at will. The optics have a 2,000 feet (610 meters) range. Can see forces, objects, and creatures which can turn invisible, or are invisible. Can also see vaporous beings and astral bodies.
- ESM: This system is mounted in mounted in the superstructure and is extended in a similar manner to a periscope. The antenna is very hard to detect both visually and by radar. Can detect another radar system at 125% of the range of the transmitting radar.
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2011, Kitsune. All rights reserved.