Techno Wizard Seewolf (Type VII) class Submarine:
The German Type VII submarine was the numerous class of submarines built with 709 completed. Various subclasses were developed to give the submarine longer range, deeper diving depth, and longer range. Most were sunken during the war with only one submarine of the Type VII survived as a museum ship, the U-995. Casualties among the German submarine service were among the worst of World War Two with a casualty rate of almost eighty percent.
After the war, there was a huge number of books written about the Type VII class submarine including ones with detailed schematics. Some of these books survived the coming of the Rifts. It is from these books more than anything else that a group of German Techno-Wizards developed a new class of submarines. They called these new submarines as Seewölfe for the fact that the submarines formed "Wolf Packs" even though the submarines were not named. The submarines should not be confused with the Pre-Rifts American Seawolf class submarine. It is a closely guarded secret where these techno-wizard submarines are actually build.
Even though externally these submarines appear to be the old Type VII submarines, including the net cutter, internally they are quite different and generally can be considered a modern submarine design. In addition, magic makes there submarines more efficient than might be otherwise be possible. In fact, the design of the submarine is effectively "Impossible" through pure technology. As well, a smartly operated Seewolf submarine will be almost impossible to defeat by a conventional submarine.
The original type VII was propelled by two diesel engines on the surface and a pair of much less powerful electric motors powered by a large bank of batteries underwater. Instead, the German Techno-Wizard submarine is powered by a pair of much more powerful electric motors converted over to techno-wizardry. These give a range of one thousand nautical miles between needing to be recharged. This is comparatively easy by any spell casting, they simply need to focus additional magical energy into the engines in the form of lightning. As such, the submarines have effectively unlimited range.
With the more powerful engines, the hull and superstructure shape is modified slightly to increase top speed under water. As a result, maximum speed underwater is sixteen knots compared to the original underwater speed of less than eight knots. Surface speed is also increased from an original speed of around eighteen knots to around twenty-four knots. These vessels are expected to speed more time on the surface than most submarine classes built after the coming of the Rifts.
The hull of these submarines is constructed from modern composites and alloys. This makes the vessels far tougher than any submarine of World War Two. It also allows them to dive to much greater depths than older submarines could. Maximum depth is around one thousand meters although usually does not operate much deeper than five hundred meters. Additional protection is provided by an “Armor of Ithan” force field.
Weaponry is some ways is more similar to the original Type VII U-Boat. Forward are four torpedo tubes but the aft torpedo tube mounted on most Type VII is eliminated. Sixteen torpedoes are provided as reloads for the torpedo tubes. An automatic loading system is provided to reduce crew size. Conventional and enchanted torpedoes are available. Encapsulated long range and cruise missiles are also available but are rarely carried. Behind the superstructure, where the diesel motors were originally mounted in the Type VII submarine, are two rows of six long range missile tubes. They are at a slight angle to enable the missiles to be fit inside of the hull.
These submarines carry much heavier gun batteries than most modern submarines. A single TX-862FC is mounted forward of the main superstructure where originally was mounted an 88 mm cannon. Twelve hundred rounds are provided for the flack cannon mount. In an interesting modification, the whole mount retracts into the hull when the submarine is underwater. In addition, a pair of twin telekinetic machine guns and a single quad telekinetic machine gun are mounted behind the superstructure. These retract into mounts inside the superstructure itself as well. Unlike the flack cannons, the machine-gun can be extended underwater for use against incoming torpedoes. Each barrel has to be recharged once a month to enable them to fire. They have advanced fire control to enable them to target missiles and other small targets.
The hull form is not as ideal for quiet underwater travel as modern hull forms. No sonar absorbing materials are used as well. There are some sound dampening features but the boat is still comparatively noisy. For that reason, the boat has the enchantment of “Globe of Silence” which can be activated around the hull. Using magical energy from the crew or the techno-wizard battery, it lasts ten minutes per activation and the submarine is almost impossible to detect when it is active. The only way to find the submarine is to look for a location that is "Too Quiet." Other enchantments on the boat include "Invisibility: Superior", "Shadow meld," and "Impervious to Energy." These enchantments can also be powered through the magical energy battery.
Modern sonar system, more advanced than the system mounted on the techno-wizard Nautilus class, are fitted in the submarine to provide the boats with the ability to deal with threats after the coming of the Rifts. This included a powerful towed array sonar system mounted where the Type VII submarine originally mounted the aft torpedo tube. While the towed array will continue to function while the submarine is hidden by the “Globe of Silence” enchantment, the hull sonar is not effective when the enchantment is active.
An advanced periscope and ESM system is mounted in the superstructure of the submarine. The boat also has “See the Invisible” optics. While this is fitted to the periscopes, the optics are otherwise conventional. Noise makers are provided to decoy torpedoes fired at the submarine. Most captains will use the “Globe of Silence” enchantment to trick torpedoes however. Most torpedoes get completely confused when that occurs.
The crew is twenty compared to the original crew of the Type VII of between forty-four and fifty-two. It is expected that at least one of the crew, usually the captain or chief engineer, will be a techno-wizard. It is preferred that at least two are techno-wizards. There is no space aboard for embarked troops. Because of the retractable main gun mount and addition torpedoes, these submarines are as cramped as the original Type VII even though they have a much smaller crew than the original German submarine design. The inside is designed to look as much like a German World War Two submarine as possible although there are modern electronic systems in the design. The techno-wizard enchantment of “Sustain” enable it to operate underwater virtually indefinitely. Each activation lasts six days. Six months of supplies are carried aboard to enable extremely long term deployments.
Model Type: Techno Wizard Type VII-TW
Vehicle Type: Ocean, Magical Attack Submarine
Crew: 20 (2 officers) with usually at least one techno-wizard or other spell casting type (two is preferred.)
M.D.C. by location:
|21 inch (533 mm) Torpedo Tubes (4, Bow of Submarine):||80 each|
|Vertical Long Range Missile Launchers (12, Behind Bridge):||40 each|
|Retractable Flack Cannon Mount (Forward of Bridge):||180|
|Retractable Twin T.K. Machine-Guns (2, Rear of Bridge):||125 each|
|Retractable Quad T.K. Machine-Guns (1, Rear of Bridge):||200|
|Main Sail / Bridge:||500|
| Bow Planes (2):||150 each|
| Propellers (2):||120 each|
| Main Body:||1500|
| Magical “Armor of Ithan” Force Field (Three Times per Day):||500|
 Destroying the submarines bow planes will reduce the submarines ability to change depths but will not eliminate it. It also makes it difficult for the submarines crew to control the submarine giving a penalty of -25% to all piloting rolls.
 Destroying both of the submarine's propellers causes serious problem. The submarine will no longer be able to use forward momentum and the bow planes to keep the submarine level. It is recommended that ballast takes are immediately blown so submarine comes to surface. Destruction of one propeller reduces the submarine's top speed by half.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body destroys the submarine's structural integrity, causing it to sink. If the submarine is underwater, the entire crew will die unless protected by environmental armors that can withstand the pressure that the submarine is under. If on the surface, there are enough flotation devices and inflatable life rafts to accommodate everyone aboard.
 As per the spell “Armor of Ithan” - Magic, fire, lightning, and cold all inflict one-half damage. Each activation lasts for 30 minutes (120 melee rounds.)
Surface: 27.64 mph (24 knots /44.48 kph)
Underwater: 18.42 mph (16 knots/ 29.65 kph)
Maximum Depth: 3,280.8 feet (1,000 meters) - Usually does not operate below 1,640.4 feet (500 meters)
Range: 1,000 nautical miles (1,151.5 miles / 1,853.2 km) for each full recharge (requires four "Call Lightnings for 60 P.P.E. due to size of engines.) Life support is “Sustain” spell and has effectively virtually unlimited duration (Requires 24 P.P.E. or 48 I.S.P. and has a duration of six days per activation.) The submarine carries about six months worth of supplies on board (“Sustain” provides all food requirements.)
Length: 220.57 feet (67.23 meters)
Draft: 16.40 feet (5.00 meters)
Width: 22.47 feet (6.85 meters)
Displacement: 769 long tons surface and 871 long tons submerged
Cargo: Submarine is very cramped, 10 tons (9.07 metric tons) of nonessential equipment and supplies. Each enlisted crew member has a small locker for personal items and uniforms. Boat's officers have more space for personal items although still cramped. Most of the boat's spaces are take up by extra torpedoes, weapons, and engines.
Power System: Techno-Wizard Electrical Engine Conversion (Powered by “Call Lightning” spell)
Black Market Cost: Quite expensive and rare, average cost of 250 to 300 million credits.
- One (1) Retractable Recoilless Anti-Aircraft Flack Cannon: Mounted where the Type VII originally mounted an 88 mm cannon. There is a special hatch on the deck to enable the entire mount to retract within the hull to vastly reduce drag. Otherwise, the mount is identical to the TX-862FC with the exception that the weapon's ammunition bins are larger. The cannon mount can rotate 360 and the barrel can tilt up to 90 degrees. It is normally used for anti-aircraft purposes but also works as excellent but fairly short range artillery. Cannot be extended underwater.
- One (1) Retractable Quad Telekinetic Machine-Gun: Mounted on a "wintergarten" in the very aft of the superstructure and retract when not in use. These are enchanted by a series of spells so the cannon acts as a more powerful version of the Telekinetic Machine-Gun. This increases the weapon's damage and instead of being reloaded, the cannon must be recharged by the spell Telekinesis and 50 P.P.E. per barrel (200 P.P.E. total) each once per month. The cannon does full damage to targets that are impervious to energy. Weapon mounts have advanced fire control to track and target missiles and other small airborne targets. Can be extended underwater to target torpedoes and other underwater targets.
- Two (2) Retractable Twin Telekinetic Machine-Gun: Mounted forward and above the quad mount in the aft part of the superstructure and retract when not in use. These are enchanted by a series of spells so the cannon acts as a more powerful version of the Telekinetic Machine-Gun. This increases the weapon's damage and instead of being reloaded, the cannon must be recharged by the spell Telekinesis and 50 P.P.E. per barrel (100 P.P.E. total per mount) each once per month. The cannon does full damage to targets that are impervious to energy. Weapon mounts have advanced fire control to track and target missiles and other small airborne targets. Can be extended underwater to target torpedoes and other underwater targets.
- Four (4) 21 inch (533 mm) Heavy Torpedo Tubes: On the bow of the submarine are four modern torpedo tubes. Tubes are 21 inches (533 mm) wide and torpedoes can be used against both surface ships and submarines. The submarine has an automatic reloading system to reduce crew. For warheads, heavy torpedoes should be treated as having long missiles warheads. Along with standard torpedoes, launcher can also fire missiles in special canisters (rarely carried), rocket boosted ASW torpedoes, and even mines. There are also special techno-wizard torpedoes available. Submarine carries sixteen reloads for torpedoes total.
- Twelve (12) Vertical Launch Long Range Missile Launchers: Behind the superstructure are two rows of six long range missiles tubes at a thirty degree angle. In the original type VII submarine, this is where the diesel machinery was located. These missiles are launched in special canisters that enables the missiles to be used in depths down to 300 feet (91.44 meters.) Most missiles normally carried are fusion warheads (Also smart missiles - Two attacks per melee with +5 to strike and +3 to dodge). In some cases, sea skimming missiles are carried instead of standard missiles.
- Magical “Globe of Silence” Submarine Silencing Feature: Unlike on the Nautilus class submarine, this enchantment is not always active but instead needs to be activated when needed. The enchantment is an application of a modified version of the spell “Globe of Silence”. The hull, propellers, and all exterior features are protected by this spell which extends outward by 1 foot (0.3 meters). This blocks all interior noises (including the launching of torpedoes) as well. This renders the submarine completely undetectable using active sonars and can only be detected by passive sonar by trying to find an area which there are no sounds (close to impossible, 5% chance with an incredible sonar operator). Torpedoes fired against the submarine have penalties of -10 to strike the submarine and lose all bonuses. The hull sonar of the submarine does not extend out from the silencing system but the towed array sonar does. Without the "Globe of the Silence", the Submarine has no penalties to detect about five knots. Below five knots, there is a -10% penalty to be detected.
- Noisemakers: The submarine carries noisemakers to decoy torpedoes. They are most effective against normal torpedoes and less effective against "smart" torpedoes. The noisemakers are launched from the middle of the submarine. Considered effective useless when “Globe of Silence” is active by most captains / crews.
- Techno-Wizard Modifications: The Seewolf has the following Techno-Wizard Modifications built into the boat. These require P.P.E. or I.S.P. from the boats crew or P.P.E. battery.
Maximum Effective Range: 10,000 feet (3,048 meters).
Mega Damage: Single Round: 4D6 M.D.C., Two Rounds 1D6x10, and Six Rounds 3D6x10
Rate of Fire:Equal to the gunners combined hand to hand (usually 5 or 6)
Payload: Total of 1,200 rounds for the gun mount. That is 200 volleys of 6 rounds, or 600 two round volleys.
Special Feature: The flack cannon has both and independent power supply and its own laser targeting and radar tracking system (especial useful if radar system is destroyed). The sensor has a range of 11,000 feet (3353 meters). The system can also be set on automatic which gives it +1 to strike and three attacks per melee and will fire two round burst. Gives +2 when fired.
Maximum Effective Range: 4,000 feet (1,220 meters).
Mega Damage: 2D6x10+20 total (6D6 per barrel)
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined hand to hand attacks of the observer / gunner (usually 4 or 5).
Payload: Unlimited, although the spells must be renewed every month whether the cannon have been used or not (costs 50 P.P.E. per barrel / 200 P.P.E. for the mount.)
Maximum Effective Range: 4,000 feet (1,220 meters).
Mega Damage: 1D6x10+10 total (6D6 per barrel)
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined hand to hand attacks of the observer / gunner (usually 4 or 5).
Payload: Unlimited, although the spells must be renewed every month whether the cannon have been used or not (costs 50 P.P.E. per barrel / 200 P.P.E. for each mount.)
Maximum Effective Range: 40 miles (64 km)
Mega Damage: By Heavy torpedo warhead type (See revised Rifts torpedoes for details), can fire missiles (Long Range or Cruise) in special canisters as well (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire torpedoes one at a time or in volleys of two (2), three (3), or four (4) torpedoes torpedoes - Reloading takes one full melee round.
Payload: Four (4) Total (Has 16 torpedoes total for reloads) - Can carry two mines for each torpedo normally carried.
Maximum Effective Range: As per long range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: As per long range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), six (6), or twelve (12 - all) missiles and can be fired at multiple target at the same time.
Payload: Twelve (12) long range missiles total. Submarine carries no reloads
Duration: Ten (10) minutes per activation.
P.P.E. Cost: 40 each activation
Effect: 50% of decoying normal torpedoes and 20% of decoying smart torpedoes.
Rate of Fire: Two (2) at a time (Can be reloaded in one melee)
Payload: 20 Noisemakers
- Sustain (6th Level) - 24 P.P.E. or 48 I.S.P.
Shadow Meld (6th Level) - 20 P.P.E. or 40 I.S.P.
Impervious to Energy (6th Level) - 40 P.P.E. or 80 I.S.P.
Invisibility-Superior (6th Level) - 40 P.P.E. or 80 I.S.P.
The submarine has all systems standard on a robot vehicle plus the following special features:
- Hull Sonar System: Range of 30 miles (26.1 nautical miles / 48.3 km). This hull sonar system has both a passive and active system built in. Sonar system can track up to 24 targets at one time and has a +10% to read sensor and weapon system skill rolls. Sonar also has built in communication system and sound pulse system to detect obstacles, objects, vessels and fish (schools and large animals), as well as measure distances and depth. Does not extend outside of the “Globe of Silence” sphere when active and does not function when field is active.
- Towed Array Sonar: The system is basically a long and very sensitive sonar system carried behind the submarine on a long cable. Range of 120 miles (104.2 nautical miles / 193.1 km). This towed array sonar system has both a passive and active system built in (although active systems are rarely used.) Sonar system can track up to 36 targets at one time. The towed array does extended outside of the “Globe of Silence” sphere around the submarine when it is active and is unaffected as a result.
- Magical “See the Invisible” Optics: The submarine has several special optical systems with see the invisible on them including the periscopes. Same as spell and used at will. The optics have a 2,000 feet (610 meters) range. Can see forces, objects, and creatures which can turn invisible, or are invisible. Can also see vaporous beings and astral bodies.
- ESM: This system is mounted in mounted in the superstructure and is extended in a similar manner to a periscope. The antenna is very hard to detect both visually and by radar. Can detect another radar system at 125% of the range of the transmitting radar.
- P.P.E. Battery: The boat has a special P.P.E. battery, unlike similar systems in Phase World, it does not generate magical energy but stores magical energy. The system will store up to 500 P.P.E. and can be stored by crew members and absorbs P.P.E. from Ley Lines and Nexus Points. It will absorb P.P.E. at the rate of 20 per hour on ley lines and 40 per hour on nexus points.
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2011, Kitsune. All rights reserved.