Techno Wizard "Sorceress" class Missile Boat:
There is a rage among techno-wizards to built ship classes which look retro while being in most respects modern designs. There seems to be a fixation on World War One designs with multiple smoke stacks and unusual hull designs. Destroyers, being relatively small, have been produced in more numbers than many types of vessels. In size, while they are called destroyers, their size makes them more like the size of frigates and even corvettes in some cases. A variety of different designs have been produced with some only being a single vessel while others a small class of similar or identical vessels.
Really not destroyers although similar in appearance, the "Sorceress" class missile boats have been produced in some numbers. About a dozen vessels in total are believed to have been built. They are actually smaller than most classes of techno-wizard destroyers, only around eight hundred tons in displacement and less than three hundred feet in length. Their appearance closely mimics ancient torpedo boats and torpedo boat destroyers including having three stacks and have a turtle back bow. Still, they are a seaworthy design and well balanced.
The design is such to be relatively inexpensive to build compared to many of the other classes with many features designed to economize. Their role is a bit more restricted than "destroyers" and mainly make high speed attacks against their enemies and are not really designed for anti-submarine warfare. Their real strength is extremely high speed.
One of the most costly features of most vessels is the main power plant. Some vessels use a fusion reactor and others use an elemental rift which pulls energy from the realm which elemental creatures are believed to be expensive. There are less expensive means of power including both steam powered and lightning powered engines. One of these is the techno-wizard P.T. and it uses lightning bolt to power it. The "Sorceress" class uses the same power system with a pair of incredibly powerful electrical motors converted to lightning powered. This gives the vessel a range of around a thousand miles between charges. The major difference is that the vessel is a hydrofoil which is incredibly fast while foil-borne. Top speed on the foils is sixty knots and the vessel can reach twenty-five knots when not riding on its hydrofoils.
The vessel does not mount any form of sonar standard and mounts a relatively short range radar system. It depends on its speed to deal with most underwater attackers. Some crews have experimented with mounting a dipping type sonar system similar to what is carried on some helicopters and VTOL aircraft. This can only be used when the vessel is traveling at relatively slow speed. As with most techno-wizard designs, “See the Invisible” optics are fitted. The vessel itself has the enchantment of "Invisibility: Superior" which allows it to often attack with complete surprise. The invisibility does not hide the wake when riding its hydrofoils which means such attacks are usually done at a much slower speed.
Crew is small, only about thirty, with usually at least one a techno-wizard or other spell caster type. Up to four troops can be embarked with power armors. To power the various enchantments, the ship has a magical energy battery. The ship does not have full life support system although is fitted with basic amenities such as air conditions and heating. Even so, the insides of the vessel are designed to look quite retro in style. It also has a filtration system for some protection. Enchantment of "Breath without Air" can be used in emergencies but Crew quarters are quite comfortable due to the small crew of the vessel.
The hull is constructed of high strength composites which are extremely difficult to damage and are virtually immune to the ravages of the environment. For additional protection, the vessel also has an “Armor of Ithan” force field which can be activated up to three times per day. Additionally, the spell of "Impervious to Energy" can be activated to protect against most non physical attacks.
Even though the main weaponry are missile launchers, the ship is armed with a pair of heavy gun mounts, one forward and the other aft. Each is a copy of the Triax Flack Cannon used in the Hunter robot. These give the vessel a reasonable long range punch other than the missile launchers. As well, the destroyer mounts a pair of lightning blaster cannons with one on either side of the superstructure. These need to be recharged once a month but have effectively unlimited shots otherwise. These have a limited ability to track fast moving targets.
The ship mounts a pair of long range box launchers. Salvaged from ground missile vehicles, these have the ability to house twelve long range missiles each for a total of twenty-four long range missiles and can fire all twenty-four missiles within moments. Theoretically, anti-submarine torpedo type missiles can be mounted in the launchers although in most cases missiles carried are designed for firing against other surface targets. A pair of short range missile box launcher are also carried. These often carry high speed "SAM" type missiles and act as the missile boat's main defense against incoming missiles. Each launcher has a total of forty-eight short range missiles for a total of almost a hundred short range missiles. The boat does mount a magical chaff and flare system to hopefully decoy those who make it through the vessel's other defenses.
Model Type: T.W. Missile Boat
Vehicle Type: Ocean, Magically Enchanted Missile Boat
Robots, Power Armors, and Vehicles:
|4||Mystic Power Armors (Or other Light Power Armors)|
M.D.C. by location:
| Hydrofoils (3):||50 each|
|Recoilless Flack Cannon Turret (2, Forward & Aft):||180 each|
|Lightning Blaster Mounts (2, sides):||50 each|
|Long Range Missile Launchers (2, 12 cells each):||300 each|
|Short Range Missile Launchers (2, Sides):||180|
|“Fireworks” Magic Chaff and Flare Dispensers (2, superstructure):||20 each|
| Long Range Radar System (Superstructure):||50|
| Main Body:||1,000|
| Armor of Ithan Force Field (Three Times per Day):||500|
 Destroying the hydrofoils prevents the ship from using the hydrofoil propulsion system although it can still surface and travel at a speed of 25 knots (28.8 mph/ 46.3 kph). The hydrofoils are very small targets, requiring a called shot at -4 to hit.
 Destroying Search Radar Tower will eliminate long range radar system. The ship still has backup systems equal to those on robot vehicles. Radar mount is small and requires a called shot at -4 to hit.
 Destroying the main body causes the ship to lose structural integrity, causing the ship to sink. There are enough life preservers and inflatable life boats to accommodate everyone on the ship.
 As per the spell “Armor of Ithan” - Magic, fire, lightning, and cold all inflict one-half damage. Each activation lasts for 30 minutes.
Water Surface: 28.8 mph (25 Knots / 46.3 kph) using conventional propulsion system and 69.1 mph (60 knots / 111.2 km) using the hydrofoil system.
Range: 1,000 nautical miles (1151.5 miles / 1853.2 km) for each full recharge (requires 30 P.P.E.) Charge a single engine gives a range of 500 nautical miles (575.8 miles / 926.6 km) and costs 15 P.P.E.
Missile Boat normally carry supplies for crew for two months although can be increased up to four months.
Length: 294 feet 9 inches (89.84 meters) overall and 273 feet 4 inches (83.31 meters) at the waterline
Draft: 8 feet 6 inches (2.59 meters)
Width: 26 feet 4 inches (8.03 meters)
Displacement: 745 tons normal load and 868 fully loaded
Cargo: 25 tons (22.6 metric tons.) Each enlisted crew member has a small locker for personal items and uniforms. Ships officers have more space for personal items. Most of the ship’s spaces are taken up by extra ammo, armor, troops, weapons, and engines.
Power System: Techno-Wizard Electrical Engine Conversion (Powered by “Call Lightning” spell)
Black Market Cost: Very rare and expensive, normal cost is about 100 million credits but often will costs much more.
- Recoilless Anti-Aircraft Flack Cannons (2): The cannons are mounted in an open mount in the front of the ship and on the fantail. They are single barrel cannon systems that are identical to the TX-862FC with the exception that the weapon's ammunition bins are larger. The cannon turret can rotate 360 and the barrel can tilt up to 90 degrees. It is normally used for anti-aircraft purposes but also works as excellent but fairly short range artillery.
- Two (2) Heavy Lightning Blasters: Mounted on the vessel are two lightning blasters. These are mounted on either side of the ship’s main superstructure. Each one is controlled by a gunner and have a 360 degree rotation and 85 degree arc of fire. Additional optics and fire control have been added to enable the system to track and target aircraft and missiles The lightning blasters have a slightly better range and have an unlimited payload compared to hand held lightning blasters. The weapon must be recharged once a month using the spells “Call Lightning”, "Energy Bolt", and 100 P.P.E.
- Long Range Missile Box Launchers (2): Each launcher has two "boxes" that can fire missiles that are mounted on the sides of a rotating stand. Each "box" can carry a total of six long range missiles for a total of twelve long range missiles per launcher (24 long range missiles total). The launchers can rotate 360 degrees and can lock onto multiple targets. Usually missiles are fired at other surface targets but aircraft can also be targeted and anti-submarine rocket launched torpedoes can also be fired.
- Short Range Missile Launching Systems (2): Each launcher is mounted on the sides of the superstructure to either side of the funnels. Launcher has the ability to launch 24 Short Range Missiles and automatically reloads every time a missile or missiles are fired. The launcher is fitted with multiple fire control systems and can target missiles on multiple targets. Normal missile mixture is 50% Armor Piercing Missiles and 50% Plasma missiles. Usually the faster surface to air missiles are fired from launcher.
- Fireworks Anti-Missile Chaff/Flare Dispenser (2): In many ways this system is similar to technological versions of the Chaff/Flare system. When the system fires, it looks like fireworks firing. The anti-missile system works by combining three spells. The three spells are Fire Bolt, Apparition, and Telekinesis. The physical effects of the system are similar to the Triax Anti-Missile chaff but instead of being reloaded, it is recharged by spells.
Maximum Effective Range: 10,000 feet (3048 meters).
Mega Damage: Single Round: 4D6 M.D.C., Two Rounds 1D6x10, and Six Rounds 3D6x10
Rate of Fire:Equal to the gunners combined hand to hand (usually 5 or 6)
Payload: Total 1200 for each gun. That is 200 volleys of 6 rounds, or 600 two round volleys.
Special Feature: The flack cannon has both and independent power supply and its own laser targeting and radar tracking system (especial useful if radar system is destroyed). The sensor has a range of 11,000 feet (3353 meters). The system can also be set on automatic which gives it +1 to strike and three attacks per melee and will fire two round burst. Gives +2 when fired.
Maximum Effective Range: 4,000 feet (1,220 meters).
Mega Damage: 1D4x10+10 per electrical blaster.
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined hand to hand attacks of the gunner (usually 4 or 5).
Payload: Effectively Unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: As per long range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: Varies with long range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), or six (6) missiles per launcher
Payload: Twelve (12) Long Range Missiles each launcher for 24 long range missiles total.
Maximum Effective Range: As per short range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: As per short range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), six (6), twelve (12), or twenty four (24) missiles.
Payload: 48 short range missiles each launcher for 96 short range missiles total.
- 01-35 - Enemy missile or missile volley detonates in chaff cloud - Missiles
are all destroyed.
36-60 - Enemy missile or missile volley loses track of real target and veers away in wrong direction (May lock onto another target.)
61-00 - No effect, enemy missile or missile volley is still on target.
Duration: 1D4 melee rounds.
Payload: 10 Uses before being recharged. Each launcher is recharged by the spells Apparition (20 P.P.E.), Fire Bolt (7 P.P.E.), and Telekinesis (8 P.P.E.). The cost for all launchers to be recharged is 70 P.P.E. All launchers must be activated at the same time to operate correctly.
- Breath without Air (8th Level) - 5 P.P.E. or 10 I.S.P. (10 P.P.E. or 20 I.S.P.)
Impervious to Energy (8th Level) - 20 P.P.E. or 40 I.S.P. (80 P.P.E. or 160 I.S.P.)
Invisibility-Superior (8th Level) - 20 P.P.E. or 40 I.S.P. (80 P.P.E. or 160 I.S.P.)
The boat does not carry the standard sensor systems of a robot vehicle, unlike most vessels, and has more limited equipment.
- Magical “See the Invisible” Optics: The ships has several special optical systems with see the invisible on them. Same as spell and used at will. 2,000 feet (610 meters) range. Can see forces, objects, and creatures which can turn invisible, or are invisible. Can also see vaporous beings and astral bodies.
- Nightvision Optics: Range: 2,000 ft (609 m). Uses light amplification to make a picture. Emits no light but will not work in absolute darkness. System can be dazzled by sudden bright lights but does not physically blind the pilot.
- Spotlight: Range: 600 feet (182.9 meters)
- Radio/ Video Communications (Standard): Long range, directional, has a range of 500 miles with short range directional radio of 5 miles (8 km).
- Radar: 50 miles (80.5 km), can identify 96 targets and track 48 as low as 500 feet (152.4 meters.) Same as robots Maxi-Radar.
- E.S.M.: The system can detect another radar system at 125% of the range of the transmitting radar.
- Dipping Sonar: Optional system. The sensor includes a passive sonar, active sonar, and an underwater communication unit. The active sonar and communication system can be detected by any vehicle using passive sonar if within their detection range. Sonar can track up to 60 simultaneously and identify up to 30 of them. The sonar equipment has a unit that can be lowered into water while traveling to 30 mph (26 knots/ 48 kph). Range: Passive Sonar: 8 mile (12.8 km) Active Sonar: 12 miles (19.3 km). Underwater Communication: 4 miles (6.4 km)
- P.P.E. Battery: The ship has a special P.P.E. battery, unlike similar systems in Phase World, it does not generate magical energy but stores magical energy. The system will store up to 500 P.P.E. and can be stored by crew members and absorbs P.P.E. from Ley Lines and Nexus Points. It will absorb P.P.E. at the rate of 20 per hour on ley lines and 40 per hour on nexus points.
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2010, Kitsune. All rights reserved.