T.W. Tempest class Destroyer:
Techno-Wizards have converted a variety of large warships but had not until the Tempest class created any escort vessels. The Tempest class is on the small side and while called destroyers, they are more the size of corvettes compared to other vessels operating on Rifts Earth. Only a fairly small number have been completed although there are several other orders including from the Techno-Wizard navy in the Mage City of Salem. The Techno Wizard Navy in the Mage City originally planned to produce their own design. Now it looks likely that they will purchase these destroyers instead.
The Tempest class Destroyer is decidedly retro in appearance and is modeled after pre World War One destroyer designs and has a turtle shell style bow and four stacks. The ships have a small superstructure with a pole mast. The ship is not patterned after a specific vessel but is instead an amalgamation of different vessels. Many sailors paint the vessel in interesting ways including various World War One and Two camouflage patterns. In spite of the appearance, the destroyer is a modern vessel with advanced systems.
The most unusual feature of the Tempest is the propulsion system. It normally travels on the surface of the water using two screws with a top speed of almost forty knots but it has a special system to travel far faster than that. Effectively the ship uses a leashed cyclone, or tornado, to lift the ship off of the water and propel the vessel at almost eighty knots. Magic keeps the vessel balanced in the storm and the ship floats about 50 feet off of the suface of the water. There are several interesting additional effects including the fact that anything caught in the cyclone will be often ripped apart. This is quite effective at protecting the vessel from below and can be used to protect another vessel by running in the path of torpedoes launched at the other vessel.
While the vessel has four smoke stacks which produce smoke and can be used to create a cloud of fog, the ship is actually powered by four power armor fusion reactors. The reactors take far less space than any conventional propulsion system and have years of endurance. For when the vessel is riding on the surface of the water, it is fitted with stabilizers. The ship uses advanced mega-damage alloy and composite materials because they are easier to repair than magically enchanted materials.
Weapons are a mixture of technological and techno-wizard designs. The main weapons are two flack cannon mounts with one mount near the bow and one on the stern. The mounts are identical to the mounts on the Jaeger power armor. To support the heavy mounts, the ship has four Techno-Wizard Gatling Cannons with two behind the forward cannon on the superstructure and two just before the flack cannon on the fantail. On either side of the superstructure are combination missile and torpedo launchers fixed forward. These mounts are very similar to those carried on the Piranha class patrol boat although they have a larger payload. In spite of being fixed forward, the missiles can be fired at targets at any angle. Torpedoes are the main weapon against submarines although they cannot be fired when the ship is riding on top of the cyclone. On both sides of the ship’s stacks are long range missile box launchers with four missiles in each launcher. These missile launchers are similar to late twentieth century Tomahawk box launchers and give the boat the ability to launch up to sixteen long range missiles total.
Sensors include both radar and sonar systems although like might be expected, the Sonar cannot be used while the vessel is riding on the leashed cyclone. Radar is fairly short ranged although better than those carried on most robot vehicles. The destroyer has both a long range hull sonar and a powerful towed array sonar system for anti-submarine warfare. In addition to technological sensors, the vessel has magical “See the Invisible” optics and a Magic energy battery.
The destroyers use advanced automation and have a surprisingly small crew. The ship has an internal help as well as an external helm on the superstructure. In addition to crew, the ship can carry a couple of dozen troops onboard. Often, light power armors are utilized for additional ship defense. Life support is magical and is fully environmental. Destroyers built before World War One were uncomfortable but due to the lower crew and reducing in equipment size, the crew is fairly comfortable. Still, berthing areas are smaller than they are in most larger Techno-Wizard vessels.
Model Type: TW-DD-01
Vehicle Type: Ocean, Magically Enchanted Destroyer
Crew: 42 with usually at least 2 techno-wizard and 2 other spell casting types.
Robots, Power Armors, and Vehicles:
|12||Mystic Power Armors (Or other Light Power Armors)|
M.D.C. by location:
|Flack Cannon Turret (2, Forward & Aft):||180 each|
|T.W. Gatling Cannons (4):||100 each|
|Medium Range Missile/Torpedo Launchers (2):||150 each|
|Long Range Missile Box Launchers (4, Sides):||200 each|
| Radar System (Superstructure):||80|
| Main Body:||900|
 Destroying Search Radar Tower will eliminate long range radar system. The ship still has backup systems equal to those on robot vehicles.
 Destroying the main body causes the ship to lose structural integrity, causing the ship to sink. There are enough life preservers and inflatable life boats to accommodate everyone on the ship.
Surface: 44.9 mph (39 knots / 72.3 kph) on the surface and 89.8 (78 knots / 144.6 kph) while riding on top of the magical cyclone propulsion system.
Maximum Effective Range: Unlimited due to fusion engines (needs to refuel every 5 years and requires maintenance as well). Ship carries 4 months of supplies on board.
Length: 312 feet (95.1 meters) overall and 306 feet (93.3 meters) at the waterline
Draft: 8.5 feet (2.6 meters)
Width: 32 feet (9.8 meters)
Displacement: 1,050 tons normal load and 1,450 fully loaded
Cargo: 60 tons of nonessential equipment and supplies. Each enlisted crew member has a small locker for personal items and uniforms. Ships officers have more space for personal items. Most of the ship’s spaces are taken up by extra ammo, armor, troops, weapons, and engines.
Power System: Nuclear Reactor, average life span is 5 years
Black Market Cost: Very rare and expensive, normal cost is about 300 million credits but often will costs much more.
- Recoilless Anti-Aircraft Flack Cannons (2): The cannons are mounted in an open mount in the front of the ship and on the fantail. They are single barrel cannon systems that are identical to the TX-862FC with the exception that the weapon's ammunition bins are larger. The cannon turret can rotate 360 and the barrel can tilt up to 90 degrees. It is normally used for anti-aircraft purposes but also works as excellent but fairly short range artillery.
- TK Gatling Cannons (4): Two mounts are on the sides of the superstructure and two are just forward of the rear gun mount. Mounts have been enchanted by a series of spells so the cannons act as a more powerful version of the TK Machine gun. This increases the weapon's damage and instead of being reloaded, the cannons must be recharged by the spell Telekinesis and 100 P.P.E. once per month. The cannon does full damage to targets that are impervious to energy. Additional optics and fire control have been added to enable the system to track and target aircraft and missiles.
- Long Range Missile Box Launchers (4): These launchers are similar in appearance to the Old United States Tomahawk Automatic Box Launchers, are mounted two to either side of the destroyer's smoke stacks, and while reusable are also inexpensive and can be jettisoned. The launchers tilt upwards when being fired and each carries four long range missiles. These launchers give the ship a decent long range punch for its size and are normally used against other ships although most can be targeted against aircraft as well.
- Medium Missile/Torpedo Launchers (2): This system is very similar to that carried on the Piranha combination hydrofoil and submarine. These side-mounted launchers can fire either regular medium-range missiles or special amphibious missiles (can be used as missile or torpedoes, have the same damage as equivalent missile, double cost, but can travel to underwater targets and are +2 to strike). Missile speed underwater is 120 mph (192 km) and has a range of 20 miles (32 km).
- Cyclone Propulsion System: When the ship is riding on a cyclone, in addition to being able to travel at massively higher speeds, it is protected from most attacks from below. The contained storm stretches out for 100 feet (30.5 meters) on the sides, front, and rear of the vessel. Effects are similar to the warlock spell of Tornado but the cyclone has no duration. The vessel is not affected by the Cyclone but anything outside the vessel is.
- Fireworks Anti-Missile Chaff/Flare Dispenser (2): In many ways this system is similar to technological versions of the Chaff/Flare system. When the system fires, it looks like fireworks firing. The anti-missile system works by combining three spells. The three spells are Fire Bolt, Apparition, and Telekinesis. The physical effects of the system are similar to the Triax Anti-Missile chaff but instead of being reloaded, it is recharged by spells.
Maximum Effective Range: 10,000 feet (3048 meters).
Mega Damage: Single Round: 4D6 M.D.C., Two Rounds 1D6x10, and Six Rounds 3D6x10
Rate of Fire:Equal to the gunners combined hand to hand (usually 5 or 6)
Payload: Total 1200 for each gun. That is 200 volleys of 6 rounds, or 600 two round volleys.
Special Feature: The flack cannon has both and independent power supply and its own laser targeting and radar tracking system (especial useful if radar system is destroyed). The sensor has a range of 11,000 feet (3353 meters). The system can also be set on automatic which gives it +1 to strike and three attacks per melee and will fire two round burst. Gives +2 when fired.
Maximum Effective Range: 4,000 feet (1,220 meters).
Mega Damage: 12D6
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined hand to hand attacks of the gunner (usually 4 or 5).
Payload: Unlimited, although the spells (100 P.P.E. each cannon) on each must be renewed every month whether the cannons have been used or not.
Maximum Effective Range: As per long range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: As per long range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), eight (8), or sixteen (16) missiles. All four launchers operate together.
Payload: 4 missiles each launcher for a grand total of 16 long range missiles (Has no missiles in storage for reloads)
Maximum Effective Range: As per medium range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: As per medium range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), or eight (8) missiles.
Payload: 96 total; 48 per missile launcher.
Maximum Effective Range: Affects an area 100 feet (30.5 meters) around the vessel but does not protect the upper sides or top of the vessel.
Mega Damage: 2D6 to targets within 100 feet (30.5 meters) of the storm. Targets directly caught in funnel take 4D6x10 per melee until thrown out the sides of the Cyclone. After 1D6 Melee, the object will be thrown from the storm and takes an additional 2D6x10 M.D.C. If the target survives, any beings onboard, it will be stunned and immobilized for 2D6 minutes.
Rate of Fire: Always on while the ship is being propelled by Cyclone propulsion.
Payload: Always on while the ship is being propelled by Cyclone propulsion.
- 01-35 - Enemy missile or missile volley detonates in chaff cloud - Missiles
are all destroyed.
36-60 - Enemy missile or missile volley loses track of real target and veers away in wrong direction (May lock onto another target.)
61-00 - No effect, enemy missile or missile volley is still on target.
Duration: 1D4 melee rounds.
Payload: 10 Uses before being recharged. Each launcher is recharged by the spells Apparition (20 P.P.E.), Fire Bolt (7 P.P.E.), and Telekinesis (8 P.P.E.). The cost for all launchers to be recharged is 70 P.P.E. All launchers must be activated at the same time to operate correctly.
Maximum Effective Range: 6,000 feet (1,830 meters) in all directions
Effect: Produces a fog bank that obscures vision. Visibility is reduced to 60 feet inside the cloud and even with thermal sensors, a penalty of -2 to strike parry and dodge
Payload: Effectively Unlimited.
- Shadow Meld (6th Level) - 10 P.P.E. or 20 I.S.P. (40 P.P.E. or 80 I.S.P.)
Impervious to Energy (6th Level) - 20 P.P.E. or 40 I.S.P. (80 P.P.E. or 160 I.S.P.)
Invisibility-Superior (6th Level) - 20 P.P.E. or 40 I.S.P. (80 P.P.E. or 160 I.S.P.)
The ship has all systems standard on a robot vehicle plus the following special features:
- Radar: Long range air search radar system. Has a 100 mile (86.8 nautical miles / 160.1 km) range and can track up to 96 different targets.
- Hull Sonar System: Mounted under the bow of the ship and is similar to the Pre-Rifts SQS-53 Hull Sonar System but is much smaller. Sonar system has a range of around 16 nautical miles (18.4 miles / 29.6 km). This hull sonar system has both a passive and active system built in. Sonar system can track up to 16 targets at one time. Sonar is not effective while the vessel is traveling by Cyclone propulsion
- Towed Array Sonar: The system is basically a long and very sensitive sonar system carried behind the ship on a long cable. Similar to the Pre-Rifts SQR-19 Sonar system but is much smaller. Sonar system has a range of around 75 nautical miles (86.3 miles/139.9 km). This towed array Sonar is a passive only sensor system. Sonar system can track up to 32 targets at one time. Sonar is not effective while the vessel is traveling by Cyclone propulsion and the Cyclone will destroy the towed array sonar.
- ESM: Can detect another radar system at 125% of the range of the transmitting radar.
- Magical “See the Invisible” Optics: The ship has several special optical systems with see the invisible on them. Same as spell and used at will. 2,000 feet (610 meters) range. Can see forces, objects, and creatures which can turn invisible, or are invisible. Can also see vaporous beings and astral bodies.
- P.P.E. Battery: The ship has a special P.P.E. battery, unlike similar systems in Phase World, it does not generate magical energy but stores magical energy. The system will store up to 500 P.P.E. and can be stored by crew members and absorbs P.P.E. from Ley Lines and Nexus Points. It will absorb P.P.E. at the rate of 20 per hour on ley lines and 40 per hour on nexus points.
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Line drawing by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2001 & 2010, Kitsune. All rights reserved.