Triax XM-290 "Kondor" class Strategic Bomber:
The Kondor, or Condor in English, is the New German Republic's main strategic bomber. While many people might ask why the New German Republic need a strategic bomber, there are multiple reason for them to have them. One reason is to deal with forces from Atlantis, but the primary job the aircraft serve in is to bomb large areas of Gargoyle and Brodkil territory whilst staying outside the range of the monsters own weapons. This actually was actually not the primary purpose of the design but it has served well in this function. Since the introduction of the first Kondor two years ago, there has been a reduction in losses of ground forces by twenty five percent and so far no bombers have been lost. Because of this, the New German Republic plans to double the number of Kondors they have in service. Presently, there are four squadrons of eight bombers each. It is estimated that the New German Republic may finally be able to defeat the Gargoyles for good with the assistance of the bombers if Atlantis does not intervene. The aircraft itself is named after the German Bomber from World War Two. The Kondor is heavily armed and very fast and is one of the most powerful aircraft in the World after the destruction from the Rifts. Prior to the Rifts, several superpowers, including the American Empire, had similar bombers. The crew of the Kondor consists of four, a pilot, a co-pilot, an ECM and communication operator, and an engineer. Bombing is run by computer under crew command and as a result, the bomber does not need a bombardier.
In appearance, the Kondor is a delta-winged bomber with four powerful engines underneath the rear of the Bomber. The intakes and exhausts are under the aircraft and the Kondor's appearance is similar to that of Triax's supersonic transport although the Kondor is a fair amount smaller. Two readily apparent differences are that the Kondor has a twin tail at a slight angle and the wingspan is wider in relation to the body in comparison to the Supersonic Transport. This allows the wider wings allow the Kondor to operate at much slower speeds than the Transport can. The general shape of the aircraft is designed to reduce the bomber's radar cross signature and the Kondor is manufactured using radar absorbing materials.
Unlike Late Twentieth Century bombers, the Kondor is armed so that it will be able to defend itself but is not armed anywhere near as heavily as the Aircastle Bomber is. The Kondor has two defensive laser turrets on the top of the aircraft, two defensive laser turrets on the bottom, and a laser turret on the rear spar of the aircraft. To reduce the need for crew, the turrets are all automated. The aircraft is also fitted with medium range missile launchers to deal with threats. The missile range missile launchers are fitted into the nose of the bomber. Of course, all of these weapon systems would be useless without the ability to carry heavy missiles or bombs. The Kondor has two ordnance bays that can house a massive payload, and the Kondor can carry up to 100 long range missiles or 100 heavy bombs between the two bays. Often a huge number of smaller bombs are carried so as to be able to carpet a huge target area. Unlike the smaller XM-280 Fighter, the Kondor is not designed to carry missiles on its wings.
In addition to powerful weapon systems, the Kondor is very fast and is able to outrun virtually all fighters operating on Earth and is actually faster than the NGR's own fighters. The speed is also a key factor in the aircraft success because it can get to any combat zone where needed very rapidly. The engines are derived from the design used for the Supersonic Transport and the Kondor is capable of suborbital performance. Despite this, it should not be considered that the Kondor is capable only at high altitudes. Instead, it is also very capable of Nap of the Earth flight for an aircraft of its size. The Kondor is not capable of VTOL hovering but can use special Jet Take Off (JTO) packs in case of emergencies for short take offs and for operation in smaller airfields
Model Number: XM-290
Vehicle Type: Strategic Bomber
Crew: Four (pilot, Co-pilot, ECM and Communication Operator, and Engineer)
M.D.C. by Location:
|Ordnance Bays (2):||400 each|
|Point Defense Variable Frequency Laser Turret (5):||150 each|
|Medium Range Missile Launcher:||200|
| Wings (2):||500 each|
| Rudders (2):||300 each|
|Reinforced Pilots Compartment / Cockpit:||400|
|Landing Gear (3):||20 each|
| Engines (4):||250|
| Main Body:||1,250|
 Destroying a Wing will cause the plane to crash. Bomber Crew must eject to survive.
 Destruction of rudders will still allow the aircraft to be controlled by the varying of power levels of the engines but the bomber has a penalty of -10 to dodge, and a -30% penalty to all piloting rolls.
 The destruction of one engine will reduce the bombers top speed by one quarter and give the pilot a -2 penalty to dodge as well as giving a 5% penalty to piloting. The destruction of additional engines will give cumulative penalties. Destruction of all four engines will cause the aircraft to crash. Pilot may attempt an emergency landing or the bomber crew can choose to eject.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body will shut the Aircraft down completely, rendering it useless and causing it to crash if in flight. Bomber Crew must eject to survive. Damage to the main body will also reduce the aircraft's stealth, for every 10% of damage to the main body, reduce the aircraft's stealth by 10% of its total.
Driving on Ground (Taxiing): Only possible for take offs and landings as well as for parking and storage. Speed is 40 mph (64 kph) when traveling and not on take off or landing. If the bomber is using JTO packs, the bomber can take off in a short distance but the packs must be dropped once attaining flight.
Flying: The Bomber can go up to a maximum speed of Mach 4.2 (3,114 mph/5,010 kph). Its normal cruise speed is Mach 2.0 (1,482.9 mph/ 2,386.5 kph) and has a maximum altitude is about 100,000 feet/ 30,500 meters.
Maximum Effective Range: Effectively Unlimited but is limited by crew endurance. Unlike most Coalition and other governments aircraft, the Triax Bomber does not overheat and can run indefinitely.
Height: 36 feet (11 meters)
Wingspan: 120 feet (36.6 meters)
Length: 155 feet (47.2 meters)
Weight: 600,000 pounds (272,100 kg) fully loaded.
Power System: Two Nuclear Fusion reactors, Should have an average lifespan of 20 years.
Cargo: Minimal (Storage for equipment for the bomber crew). Does not include ordnance bays. Ordnance bays, if emptied of ordnance, can carry up to 100,000 lbs (45,400 kg) of cargo total.
Black Market Cost: Not available for sale but costs around 250 million credits to construct and would likely cost double to triple that on the black If one was captured from the NGR, they would go to almost any lengths to get the bomber back.
- Variable Frequency High-Powered Laser Turrets (5): These weapon systems are mounted in turrets with two turrets on the top, two turrets on the bottom, and one on the tail stinger of the bomber. This weapon system is a relatively simple adaption of Triax TX-41 Laser pulse rifle mounted into turrets. The turrets have the ability to rotate 360 degrees and have a 90 degree arc of fire. While the weapon system is rarely call on to use the function, the variable frequency was retained and the weapon has 12 different possible frequencies to counter laser resistant armor. Number 7 counters standard USA-10 Glitterboy materials and all other setting are designed to counter other laser resistant materials. The turrets are both radar and infrared guided and has a +5 to hit but due to a lack of crew, the weapon system does not have a manual firing setting. Primary target for defense laser systems is missiles which is considered to be one of the biggest threats.
- Medium-Range Missile Launcher: The Kondor carries a medium range missile launcher near the nose of the bomber. The launchers can be controlled by the pilot, Co-pilot, and/or Communication/ECM officer. They are usually outfitted with High-Explosive, Fragmentary or Plasma missiles and the missiles are normally smart missiles. This weapon system uses an automatic loading system and carries additional missiles for reloads.
- Ordnance Bay: The bomber has two large bays in the main body that carry a wide variety of different ordnance types. The bomb bays are the same size Ordnance types can include missiles, torpedoes, naval mines, and bombs. Missile and bomb sizes may be mixed between different types of ordnance but an ordnance drop or launch must include the same type and size of ordnance. Ordnance may be carried at the rate of four short range missiles, four light bombs, two medium range missiles, or two medium bombs for one long range missile or heavy bomb. One Cruise missile or extra heavy bomb may also be carried instead of two long range missiles or heavy bombs. Both guided and unguided ordnance may be carried. Launching of ordnance is controlled by the computer and the Bomber's ECM and Communication Operator but the pilot and copilot has emergency controls as well. When the Ordnance bay is opened, the bomber is far more easily detected by radar from underneath.
- Anti-Missile Chaff Dispenser: Located at the very tail of the bomber are four chaff dispensers. When tailed by a missile, a cloud of chaff and other obtrusive particles can be released to confuse or detonate the enemy's attack. Rifts Earth decoy systems are assumed to not operate against Phase World missiles due to technological difference. Reduce effects by 20% against smart missiles (Add +20% to rolls for smart missiles.)
Maximum Effective Range: 4,000 feet (1,200 meters).
Mega Damage: 3D6 for single shot and 1D6x10 for three round burst. Each turret fires separately.
Rate of Fire:Automated, Can fire up to 6 times per melee.
Payload: Unlimited (Draws Power off the main engines).
Maximum Effective Range: Varies with missile types, medium range missiles only (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: Varies with missile types, medium range missiles only (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fiire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), or eight (8) missiles.
Payload: 24 missiles with a total 48 missiles for reloads.
Maximum Effective Range: Varies by missile type for missile and varies by altitude bomb is dropped at (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: Varies by missile or bomb type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Ordnance is dropped or fired one at a time or in volleys of two, five, ten, or twenty but must be the same size (light, medium, or heavy) and style of ordnance (all missiles or bombs in a volley)
Payload: 400 short range missile or light bombs, 200 medium range missiles or medium bombs, 100 long range missile or heavy bomb, or 50 cruise missile or extra heavy bombs. Ordnance can be mixed and naval mines may be carried as well as missiles and bombs.
- 01-50 Enemy missile or missile volley detonates in chaff cloud - Missiles
are all destroyed.
51-75 Enemy missile or missile volley loses track of real target and veers away in wrong direction (May lock onto another target.)
76-00 No effect, enemy missile or missile volley is still on target.
Payload: Sixteen (16)
Effects: The decoy has an 80% chance of fooling ordinary non military radars and non smart guided missiles, the decoy has a 50% chance of fooling military level radars (like those of the Coalition), and the decoy has a 25% chance of fooling advanced military radars (Like those of the New Navy and Triax) and smart missiles. Against missiles homing on a jamming signal, jamming has an 40% chance of tricking missiles if both the aircraft and missile are jamming and an 80% chance if the jamming system on the aircraft is deactivated before the missile reaches it.
Maximum Effective Range: Not Applicable although decoy is deployed 328 feet (100 meters) from the aircraft
Rate of Fire: One can be deployed at a time and requires 15 seconds to deploy (Reel Out) another decoy
Payload: 8 Decoys (4 each)
The bomber has all the standard features of a standard fighter (same as standard robot minus loudspeaker and microphone) plus these special features listed.
- Stealth Feature: The Aircraft has a very similar stealth feature as the Coalition Talon fighter and has a -80% to be detected at long range because of its stealth. As the aircraft gets closer, more target return will allow for easier detection. Opening the Ordnance bay greatly increase the aircraft's radar signature from the underside of the aircraft and aircraft creates no penalties to be detected in those conditions. Go to General Detection Penalties for more information on penalties and bonuses to use with stealth.
- Internal Active Jamming Gear: Causes -25% to detection but when it is active, other vehicles/ bases can detect that it is jamming, and some missiles will home in on jamming signals. Jamming also causes a -4 penalty to all radar guided weapons.
- Radar: Range 500 miles (805 km), can identify and track up to 48 targets simultaneously, It is also capable of Terrain Following for low altitude flight. With Combat & Targeting Computer, the Kondor can fire missiles at up to twelve four targets at the same time.
- E.S.M.: Radar Detector, Passively detects other radars being operated
- FLIR: Forward Looking Infrared. Allows pilot and weapons officer to get visuals on targets at night.
- Laser Navigational System: Allow flight at low altitude without use of Radar. Gives a map of the Terrain.
- +2 to dodge
+3 to dodge while traveling over 300 mph
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 1998 & 2001, Kitsune. All rights reserved.