Triax XM-3000 "Grey Death" Cyborg Stealth Fighter:
"Flying over Tolkeen I saw a Coalition stealth fighter about to unload a lot of nastiness on the Tolkeen lines, and I decided to see just how good those things really are. No, that wasn't in my mission profile, but I figured I could have some fun too. Anyway, I sneaked up on that Talon using only my IR sensors, and shot the hell out of it with my cannons. Its pilot never knew what hit him, and as far as the Coalition is concerned, some mage threw a nasty spell at one of their precious stealth fighters. I saw at least a dozen more of em, but they never even looked my way twice. Talon fighters are good. HA! As far as I`m concerned I just declawed *that* myth!"
"Damnedest thing that ever happened. Colin was flying just behind me, and I`d just finished my attack run when I heard him scream over the commlink. I figured that something was badly wrong, and turned the talon around. All I see of Colin and his Talon is a ball of fire. Nothing on my sensors, radar, IR, zip, nada! I figured it must have been those damned mages, but usually you see a fireball or a lightning coming.
Right then I could have sworn that something flew away through the clouds. But nothing at all on the sensors. Nothing! I tell you, there`s bad things up there."
For several years the only NGR stealth craft known to the rest of the world has been the Dragonwing robot. Although the Coalition and Metalworks in America have been building Stealth fighters for some time now, the NGR has yet to field any such vehicles. Or so it seems...
While the Coalition was the first to field large numbers of Stealth fighters since the time of the Rifts, they were by no means the first to build them. Triax had already been experimenting with XM-280 fighter jets that were made out of the same Radar Absorbent Materials as their Dragonwing robot, but these fighters were never taken into full production. Instead, the scientists and engineers of Triax decided that they might as well build something extraordinary. And they did.
Using information from a Pre-Rifts design, combined with their own materials and engines, a incredible plane was being build. The engineers used special triangular Thrust Vectoring nozzles which could deflect the engines thrust in three dimensions so that the design needed no tailplane, which made it even more stealthy, and which gave it enhanced maneuverability. Because of this and the RAM coating the new plane was virtually invisible to radar and IR sensors, whilst being able to outmaneuvre anything in the sky at that moment. But there was a problem. The plane was so maneuverable that no human pilot could withstand the G forces the plane was capable of generating. The solution to this problem came by making the entire fighter a Cyborg! The only living thing in the entire fighter is the brain of the pilot, which is linked directly into all of the planes controls and sensors. The brain is fitted into a small casing which can be ejected in case of emergency, or which can be placed in another robot or cyborg body. The plane they had designed was more than the equal of anything in the sky at that point, and was also virtually undetectable by conventional means. Because the RAM coating of the plane gave it grey color, and because it was such a lethal plane, the design department of Triax called the plane "Der Graues Tod", or The Grey Death.
The XM-3000 is not only impressively stealthy, its weaponry is also very impressive. A large ordnance bay in the planes belly can house up to six long range missiles or heavy bombs, or a corresponding number of smaller pieces of ordnance. A further two bays are located in the wing roots, and each of these can hold one long range missile or a corresponding number of smaller missiles, but NO bombs or mines, since the ordnance is fired sideways out of the bays under its own power, and cannot free fall out of it. Under each of the wings there is a hard point which can hold a long range missile, a heavy bomb, a corresponding number of smaller missiles and bombs, or a high capacity mini-missile pod. These hard points are seldom used, as the ordnance located on them lowers the planes stealth, unlike the weaponry located in the planes ordnance bays. to finalize the armament the plane has two Rail Guns located above the engine intakes. These are essentially TX-250 Rail Guns, only modified to fit into a airplane. For increased damage these weapons usually fire DU rounds.
So far the NGR government and Triax have kept the existence of the Grey Death well hidden from outside sources, and even inside of the NGR military there are few that know of this formidable weapon. So far two squadrons have been equipped with the plane, with plans for at least four more squadrons, but this is some time away yet. Not only are the planes expensive and time consuming to build, but there are few pilots available for conversion into cyborg soldiers, as the attrition rate in this part of the NGR military is much lower than that of the other services. In order to make the conversion to cyborg more attractive for pilots, Triax has designed a fully human looking cyborg body, which the pilots can use during their off-duty time. Although this body (the VX-2050) was only meant originally for the pilots of the highly secret XM-3000, it is now seeing use by other Cyborg Soldiers as well. The Grey Deaths have so far flown mostly over Europe and the North Sea hunting monsters, Gargoyle and Brodkil robots, and the occasional Splugorth craft that they encounter. Unknown to but a handful of the NGR military, the Grey Deaths have also flown across the Atlantic Ocean, to observe (spy upon) the Coalition in general, and more recently its war with Tolkeen!
For more details on cyborg body, got to VX-2050 Cyborg Replacement Body for details
German Name: Der Graues Tod
Model Type: XM-3000
Vehicle Type: Air Superiority Fighter.
Crew: One Human brain!
M.D.C. by Location:
|Forward Mounted TX-250 Rail Guns (2):||60 each|
|Large Belly Ordnance Bay:||220|
|Small Wing Root Ordnance Bays (2):||100 each|
| Wings (2):||260 each|
| Canards (2):||120 each|
|Landing Gear (3):||20 each|
| Reinforced Cyborg Brain Compartment:||200|
|Cyborg Brain Casing:||10|
| Engines (2):||280 each|
| Main Body:||550|
 Destroying a Wing will cause the plane to crash
 Destruction of a canard will still allow the fighter to be controlled by the varying of power levels of the engines but fighter has a penalty of -10 to dodge, and a -30% penalty to all piloting rolls. Destruction of both of the canards will leave the plane uncontrollable and the cyborg pilot must eject to survive.
 A small and well shielded target. -5 to strike. Located in the compartment is the casing which houses the human brain of the XM-3000. When this compartment is destroyed the brain loses its link with its fighter body, but the casing can still eject out of the wrecked plane.
 The destruction of one engine will reduce the fighter’s top speed by half and give the pilot a -2 penalty to dodge as well as giving a 10% penalty to piloting. Destruction of both engines will cause the aircraft to crash. Pilot may attempt a emergency landing or can choose to eject. The engines are placed deep in the main body of the fighter, and can only be hit on a called shot: -3 to strike.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body will shut the Aircraft down completely, rendering it useless and causing it to crash if in flight. Damage to the main body will also reduce the aircrafts stealth, for every 10% of damage to the main body, reduce the aircrafts stealth by 10% of its total.
Driving on Ground (Taxiing): Only possible for conventional take offs and landings as well as for parking and storage. Speed is 40 mph (64 kph) when traveling and not on take off or landing.
Flying: Can go up to a maximum speed of Mach 3.6 (2,669.2 mph/4,281.4 kph). Its cruise speed is up to Mach 1.6 (1,186.3 mph/ 1,909.3 kph) and has a maximum altitude of about 20 Miles (105,600 feet/ 32190 meters). When the fighter is carrying ordnance on its external hard points, the fighter has a top speed of Mach 2.6 (1,927.8 mph / 3,102.5 kph).
Maximum Effective Range: Effectively Unlimited. Unlike most Coalition and other governments aircraft, the XM-3000 Grey Death does not overheat and can run indefinitely and is mainly limited by pilots endurance. This is because the engine have a highly efficient cooling system.
Height: 8.5 feet (2.5 meters)
Wingspan: 45 feet (15 meters).
Length: 70 feet (21.3 meters)
Weight: 35 tons (38.6 metric tons) fully loaded
Power System: Nuclear, has an average lifespan of 20 years.
Cargo: Minimal (Storage for small equipment), does not include ordnance bays. Heavy Ordnance bay, if emptied of ordnance can carry up to 15,000 lbs (6,840 kg) of cargo. Light Ordnance bays, if emptied of ordnance can carry up to 5,000 lbs (2,268. kg) of cargo each.
Black Market Cost: Not for sale! The XM-3000 is a top secret NGR weapon, and the black market or the Coalition would gladly pay up to 600 million credits for a XM-3000 in complete condition!
- Two (2) TX-250 Rail Guns: The plane has two TX-250 Rail Guns mounted in its body, just above the jet intakes. These cannons have superior range over most comparable models, and the standard ammo used in these weapons consists of DU rounds, giving the rail guns superior penetration and damage capacity as well. Just like the robot version of the cannon, the rail guns can also fire short bursts. The cannons can be fired linked.
- Large Ordnance Bay: The XM-3000 has one large ordnance bay in the belly of the aircraft. Ordnance types can include missiles, torpedoes, naval mines, and bombs. Missile and bombs sizes may be mixed between different types of ordnance but an ordnance drop or launch must include the same type and size of ordnance. Ordnance may be carried at the rate of four short range missile, four light bombs, two medium range missile, or two medium bombs for one long range missile or heavy bomb. Because of the layout of the bay extra heavy bombs or cruise missiles cannot be carried. Both guided and unguided ordnance may be carried.
- Small Ordnance Bays (2): The aircraft has two small ordnance bays in the wing roots with one in each wing root. These bays are reserved for air to air missiles, and bombs and mines cannot be dropped from these bays. Ordnance may be carried at the rate of eight mini-missiles, four short range missiles, two medium range missiles, for one long range missile.
- Wing Hard Points (2): The XM-3000 has two hard points for ordnance and equipment. The hard points can be used to carry missiles, bombs, and rocket packs as needed by the mission. Missiles, rocket packs, and bombs can be mixed or matched but all ordnance on a hard point must be the same type. Carrying ordnance on the aircrafts external hard points negates the aircrafts stealth from the bottom, sides, front, and back of the aircraft. The aircraft retains normal stealth from the top.
- Bombs and Missiles: The only restriction is that a hard point must carry all the same type of missiles or bombs. Both unguided and guided bombs can be carried.
- Mini-Missile Pod: Large capacity mini-missile pod. The mini missile pods are normally carried for ground strafing, anti-troop, and anti-emplacement attacks. Normal missile used are armor piercing, plasma, or fragmentation mini-missiles. Mini Missile pods are normally controlled by the pilot.
- Anti-Missile Chaff Dispenser: Located at the very tail of the fighter are two chaff dispensers. When tailed by a missile, a cloud of chaff and other obtrusive particles can be released to confuse or detonate the enemy's attack. Reduce effects by 20% against smart missiles (Add +20% to rolls for smart missiles.)
Maximum Effective Range: 6,000 feet (1828 meter)
Mega Damage: 1D6x10 M.D.C. per burst of 30 rounds (Does not fire single shot) for one rail gun or 2D6x10 M.D.C. for both cannons. Short burst does 5D6 M.D.C. per burst of 15 rounds for one rail gun or 1D6x10 M.D.C. for both cannons.
Rate of Fire: Equal to pilots hand to hand, the cannons can be fired linked.
Payload: 3000 rounds each gun, That is 100 standard Bursts or 200 large bursts for each rail gun.
Maximum Effective Range: Varies by missile type for missile and varies by altitude dropped at (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: Varies by missile or bomb type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Ordnance is dropped or fired one at a time or in volleys of two, four, eight, or sixteen but must be the same size (light, medium, or heavy) and style of ordnance (all missiles or bombs in a volley)
Payload: 24 short range missiles or light bombs, 12 medium range missiles or medium bombs, or 6 long range missiles or heavy bombs. Ordnance can be mixed and naval mines may be carried as well as missiles and bombs.
Maximum Effective Range: Varies by missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: Varies by missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Ordnance is dropped or fired one at a time or in volleys of two, four, or eight.
Payload: 8 mini-missiles, 4 short range missiles, 2 medium range missiles, or 1 long range missile each bay. Ordnance can be mixed.
Maximum Effective Range: Varies by missile type for missile and varies by altitude bombs are dropped at (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: Varies by missile or bomb type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Missiles can be fired and bombs can be dropped one at a time per hard point. Multiple hard points can be linked as one attack but must be the same size (light, medium, or heavy) and style of ordnance (all missiles or bombs in a volley)
Payload: One long range missile or heavy bomb, two medium range missiles or medium bombs, or four short range missiles or light bombs (see above - all ordnance on a hard point must be the same size and type of ordnance)
Maximum Effective Range: Varies with missile types, mini-missiles only (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.) Mega Damage: Varies with mini-missile types (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Each pod can fire one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), eight (8), or sixteen (16) mini-missiles and can be linked with other mini-missile pods for greater number of missiles (Counts as one attack no matter how many missiles in volley)
Payload: each pod carries 16 mini-missile.
- 01-50 Enemy missile or missile volley detonates in chaff cloud - Missiles
are all destroyed.
51-75 Enemy missile or missile volley loses track of real target and veers away in wrong direction (May lock onto another target.)
76-00 No effect, enemy missile or missile volley is still on target.
Payload: Ten (10).
Mega Damage Capacity: 10.
Bionic Features: 1 Multi-optic eye, 1 built-in radio receiver/transmitter, emergency life support for 72 hours.
Stealth Features: Same as the large plane body, see below.
The fighter has all the standard features of a standard fighter (same as standard robot minus loudspeaker and microphone) plus these special features listed.
- Only available as body for a Robot Soldier!
- Stealth Features: The fighter is made from the same radar absorbent materials as the X-2700 Dragon Wing. Coupled with its shape, this makes the Grey Death totally invisible to any radar system at long range (-100% to be detected). When a Grey Death is battle damaged it becomes less stealthy (For every 10% of damage to the main body, reduce the aircrafts stealth by 15% of its total.). The special shape of its exhaust also means that the plane is -40% to detect using IR sensors. All IR guided missiles are -3 to strike. Go to General Detection Penalties for more information on penalties and bonuses to use with stealth.
- Internal Active Jamming Gear: Causes -30% to detection but when it is active, other vehicles/ bases can detect that it is jamming, and some missiles will home in on jamming signals. Jamming also causes a -4 penalty to all radar guided weapons.
- Radar: Range 620 miles (997.8 km.) The radar system can identify and track up to 128 targets simultaneously and is also capable of Terrain Following for low altitude flight. With Combat & Targeting Computer, the fighter can fire missiles at up to thirty six targets at the same time.
- E.S.M.: Radar Detector, Passively detects other radars being operated at 125% of the other radars maximum detection range.
- ALIR: Around Looking Infrared. Range 40 miles (64.4 km.) A set of IR sensors set to cover the entire hemisphere, including aft of the plane. Allows the Grey Death`s pilot to get visuals on targets at night, and also allows the cyborg pilot to target an enemy plane by detecting the heat from its engines.
- Laser Navigational System: Allow flight at low altitude without use of Radar. Gives a map of the Terrain.
- +5 to initiative
+3 to strike with rail guns, mini-missiles, or any IR guided missiles.
+3 to dodge
+5 to dodge while traveling over 300 mph
+20% to all piloting skills
Further bonuses and penalties:
- See the Robot Soldier OCC in Rifts World Book Five: Triax and the NGR,
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Picture is taken from the game "Ace Combat 3 Electrosphere" by Namco. Go here for the official Namco website: Namco.
Writeup by Mischa (E-Mail Mischa ).
Minor Revisions & Updates by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2000 & 2001, Mischa. All rights reserved.