Valkyrie Industries AR-17 Gauntlet Combat Robot:
The Gauntlet is a companion design to the Thundershrike, it might be said, in that the two were designed to operate together. A standard company in the Technocracy's forces consisted of sixteen Gauntlets, sixty-four troops in advanced body armor, a single heavy Carryall for moving the troops long distances and providing support services, a second for carrying additional supplies of missiles and other weapons, and a covering aerial force of four Thundershrikes.
This innovative use of air power and land power in a single formation for close support over the region in which the company operated was devastatingly effective against the rigid formations of the traditional enemies of the Technocracy.
The Gauntlet is an exceptional medium combat robot, which, was it not for size, should properly be called a heavy combat robot, but has a serious disadvantage in the fact that it was designed specifically to operate with organic air support; However, loading its missile launchers with fragmentation or plasma missiles does provide a partial solution to the problem. Another, and one that Kalyaran hopes most of her customers will take, is to buy the Thundershrikes designed to provide air support for the Gauntlets.
Though the Gauntlet looks like a beefy, muscular humanoid with rigid, metallic angles up as far as the neck, it is with the head that such similarities end. The head of the Gauntlet is streamlined and pointed, slightly angular, and generally resembling that of a Cobra's, with a sensor eye in the center of the front, and the barrel for the main gun poking out along the bottom. Test operators of the design have hence nicknamed it the "Cobra Head".
There are currently 22 Gauntlets in existence on Rifts Earth, including two test versions, two display models, sixteen organized into a combat company, and two spares for that company. There are plans to manufacture another forty-eight for Valkyrie Industries over a period of time, but the funds are not current available. The production line is just coming into full operation now and is available for orders. Much of the marketing notes for the Thundershrike in terms of location and focus apply for the Gauntlet.
Model Type: AR-17 Gauntlet Assault Robot.
Class: Heavy Assault Robot.
M.D.C. by Location:
|Arms (2):||250 each|
| Legs (2):||300 each|
|Heavy Anti-Tank Particle Bolt Cannon (Head):||200|
|Feet (2):||150 each|
|Hands (2):||150 each|
| Head:||350 each|
|Reinforced Pilot's Compartment (Fully inside the main body):||200|
| Main Body||600|
 Depleting the M.D.C. of one of the legs renders it useless and forces the Gauntlet to limp along at a top speed of 10 mph (16 km/h) dragging the one leg carefully to avoid falling. Depleting the M.D.C. of both legs renders the Gauntlet totally stationary; The legs have to be replaced by completely new ones if destroyed in such a fashion.
 Destroying the head renders all the primary sensors useless, and also destroys the main particle bolt cannon. Secondary sensors provide minimal ability for maneuvering and close in operations, and the Gauntlet can still have it's combat computers linked to another gauntlet for combat data, though, with the particle cannon (An integral part of the head) knocked out, a Gauntlet would generally retire.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body renders the Gauntlet useless scrap; However, the crew can still survive inside the reinforced crew compartment, and the legs, arms, and head can possibly be salvaged from the wreck.
Running: 75 mph (120 kph).
Leaping: 20 feet (6 m) high or lengthwise from a stationary position; 30 feet (9 m) high or 42 feet (14.5 m) lengthwise from a running start.
Flying: Not possible.
Underwater Operation: The Gauntlet can "Swim" underwater at a maximum speed of 12.5 mph (20 kph), or wade along the bottom at half it's running speed. The armor can safely operate to a depth of 5 miles (8 km), and is fully pressurized with compensation to prevent "the bends".
Space Operation: Not possible.
Height: 38 feet (11.3 meters)
Width: 16.4 feet (5 meters)
Length: 6.6 feet (2 meters)
Weight: 52 English (Long) Tonnes.
Physical Strength: Robotic 55.
Cargo: Minor personal affects for crew and passengers only; Enough stored rations for food and water for six days in addition to this.
Power System: Fusion Reactor, lifespan of energy 20 years.
Black Market Price: 50 million credits.
- Heavy Anti-Tank Particle Bolt Cannon: Very powerful weapon mounted on the head of the robot. The head can rotate 360 degrees independent of moving the main body. The weapon is designed to be used against tanks but is effective against aircraft as well.
- VI-30M - 30mm Railgun: A lightweight but powerful railgun designed for mowing down troops and inflict damage on light power armors. Fully integrated into right arm of Robot.
- Short Range Missile Launcher (2): These two missile launchers are mounted in the thighs of the robot's legs (One per each), with armor plates covering them that retract; each has two rows of six missiles. Launchers can use any form of short range missile and are useful against both aircraft and tanks. Missile launches cannot fire when robot is operating submerged underwater.
- Plasma Sword: An energy weapon; It forms a coherent, sword shaped encased plasma field that can slice through M.D.C. armor like it doesn't exist in melee combat; The sword is appearance similar to a Scottish Claymore glowing a brilliant golden-yellow. Fully integrated into the left arm of the robot.
- Carried weapons: Anything that can be carried in the Robot's hands and used as weaponry (Most oversized weapons well work, and jury-rigged melee weapons.)
- Hand to Hand Combat: Observe Robot Combat Training in Robot Combat section of Rifts RPG, and this:
Maximum Effective Range: 13,124 feet (4 km); Range is halved underwater.
Mega Damage: 4D4 x 10 + 20 M.D. per blast.
Rate of Fire: 2 bursts per melee round.
Payload: Effectively unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: 4,000 feet (1,200 meters); Halved underwater.
Mega Damage: 1D6x10 for a standard burst of 10 rounds per gun and 2D4x10 for a 15 round burst.
Rate of Fire: Can fire up to five bursts per melee round.
Payload: 3000 rounds of ammunition (300 ten round bursts.)
Special Weapon Features: Laser targeting system that adds +2 to strike.
Maximum Effective Range: Varies with short range missile type (Go to revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: Varies with short range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: One at a time, or volleys of up to six.
Payload: Twelve missiles per launcher; 24 missiles total.
Maximum Effective Range: Length of beam only; 16 feet (5 m)
Mega Damage: 3D4 x 10
Rate of Fire: Equal to number of combined hand to hand attacks.
Payload: Essentially unlimited.
- +3 on initiative
+3 to parry
+3 to dodge
Punch - 6D6 M.D.
Kick - 6D6 M.D.
Body Flip/Throw - 3D6 M.D.
Body Block/Ram - 1D6 x 10 M.D.
Stomp - 4D6 M.D. against targets 15 feet (4.5 m) tall or smaller.
Sensor System Notes: All of the most advanced Robot sensor systems, and:
- The Gauntlet has full optical systems, including laser targeting, telescopic, passive nightvision (Light amplification), thermo-imaging, infrared, ultraviolet, and polarization.
- In addition to the standard radar package, there is a sonar system with a 15 mile (24 km) range that can track 27 targets. There is also a depth and pressure gauge included in the pilot's instrumentation.
- Sensor Bonuses: Applicable to long-range weapon combat only, not hand to hand, +3 to Strike and +3 to dodge.
Tactical Electronic Warfare systems:
- Main scanners have 100% effectiveness at up to 20 km range, effectiveness
decreasing 10% per each additional KM of range beyond 20 km. Backup scanners
have range of 2 km at 100% efficiency, effectiveness decreasing 10% with
each additional KM of range after 2 km.
The Gauntlet also has a target analyzer computer, burst radio transmission systems, computers for analyzing detected communications, and seismic detection, which is an excellent, unjammable way of precisely pinpointing the movements of any kind of robot or walker without specialized seismic-shock reduction systems. However, to utilize that sensor, the Robot must come to a complete stop and lower a probe into the ground.
[ Altarian TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Larsen's Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk's Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Initial Writeup by Marina O'Leary (LusankyaN@aol.com ).
Reformatting and revisions by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2000, Marina O'Leary & Kitsune. All rights reserved..