Apex Defense Manufacturers "Kodiak Tiger" Grav Tank:
Apex Defense Manufacturers was originally a subcontractor for components of military hovercraft and have been around since before the formation of the Consortium of Civilized Worlds. The company started expanding their products and service with first repair services for older designs and later upgrades on older designs. One of these designs was the Human Alliance "Kramer" Grav Tank. The company executives and engineers decided to develop a new tank design based on the upgrades to the designs which they had developed upgrades for. At the same time, the Human Alliance was putting up for bid the contract for a tank to replace the Phalanx tanks which was their main battle tank.
The "Saber Tiger" was the first new design from Apex and was entered in the competition for the new Human Alliance design. It had to rushed into development to meet the deadline of the competition. It was largely based on the old "Kramer" tank but had many improvements over the old hover tank design. These included the addition of a force field, more powerful fusion reactor, higher speed and altitude, more powerful capacitors for the main cannon, improved secondary weaponry, and better sensor systems. It was beaten out in competition by the Phoenix Armory entry. The Phoenix Armory design, the "Slammer" mounted an incredibly powerful, if short ranged, plasma cannon and was much faster than the Apex design. Both the "Slammer" and "Saber Tiger" were much smaller than the Phalanx and had crews of three instead of the eight on Wolfen tank design. There have been a few minor sales of the "Saber Tiger" but in general the product was a disappointment to the company. As might be expected, it was only produced in very small numbers before production ceased although the company still produces repair components.
Apex Defenses Manufacturers decided to try and improve the design of the "Saber Tiger." The new design became known as the "Kodiak Tiger" and was far more powerful than the "Saber Tiger" although it still is much slower than the "Slammer." Many in the company believe that if the "Kodiak Tiger" had been available and entered against the Phoenix Armory design, it would have been selected. Several purchasers have expressed an interest in the "Kodiak Tiger" and Apex is hoping that they can interest the Consortium Armed Forces in their new design. It is unlikely because the Consortium is showing interest in an improved version of the Phalanx. Still, production has been switched over to the new design and already purchasers have shown greater interest in the "Kodiak Tiger" than its predecessor.
The designers mounted a slightly more powerful particle beam of 10 cm instead of the old 8 cm cannon. Range is increased from around twenty kilometers to thirty-two under ideal conditional. Usually, the cannon is restricted by line of site. In addition to being more powerful, the cannon is variable focus. It can fire a wide beam instead of a narrow beam. The wide beam does not inflict as much damage and has a reduced range compared to a concentrated beam but can strike multiple targets and is especially effective against missiles. Secondary weapon on the "Saber Tiger" included a power gravity rail gun coaxial to the main cannon and a top mounted H.I. Infantry support laser. These were part of the general improvements given to refitted "Kramer" tanks and were far superior to the original secondary weapons carried on the "Kramer"and were also retained on the new design. The mini-missile launcher carried on the "Kramer" were retained on the "Saber Tiger" but it was decided that medium range missiles would replace the mini-missiles. A total of twelve medium range missiles are carried and give the tank a better ability to hit targets over the horizon. To cover short range attacks, it was decided that the new micro-missiles developed by Naruni industries would be employed. Small box launchers would be placed strategically along the hull of the tank. Two launchers would be placed on the bow and stern of the hover tank with four on either side. With each launcher having 48 mini-missiles, the tank would have a total of 576 micro-missiles. These launchers re useful against incoming missiles, against infantry, and against power armors. One of the other improvements to the new hover tank was an automatic fire control system with a powerful artificial intelligence. This can control the guns of the tank as well as the micro-missile launchers. The micro-missile launchers are usually kept on computer control although they can be manually controlled as well. When controlling the micro-missile launchers, the computer will usually be set to fire two micro-missiles at each mini-missiles, short range missile, or medium range missile. Cruise missiles and long range missiles will usually have four micro-missiles targeted against them. Other targets will vary by the targets strength as well. Volleys of four micro-missiles will normally be targeted against an infantry soldier and sixteen will normally be targeted against an attacking power armor.
The "Kodiak Tiger" is slightly larger than the "Saber Tiger" and is even larger when compared to the "Kramer" hover tank. The original "Kramer" massed around 85 metric tons while the "Kodiak Tiger" masses around 118 metric tons. The "Saber Tiger masses around 105 metric tons. Part of the added weight is due to the new weapons but other internal systems have been upgraded as well. To deal with the additional power demands, the hover tank mounts two powerful fusion reactors instead of the single reactor carried in earlier models. In normal operation, only a single fusion reactor is needed and it is likely some operators will run a single reactor while not in combat to extend the life of the reactors. When only a single reactor is running, the defense force field and the particle beam cannot recharge simultaneously. The "Saber Tiger"only carried a single reactor and had this same problem. The top speed of the "Kodiak Tiger" is not improved beyond that of the earlier Apex design and can reach around 250 kph at ground level and around 320 kph when flying. Like most hover tanks, the "Kodiak Tiger" is very vulnerable while in flight. Like the "Slammer" which beat out the Apex design, the force field is based on those carried on most starfighters. The generator is both smaller and more powerful than the generator carried on the Phalanx Grav tank. While the variable force field gives additional protection over the original "Kramer", the armor on the "Kodiak Tiger" is marginally thinner. The armor is of a new formula which is resistant to normal laser weapons. Laser weapons are among the most common weapons used in the Three Galaxies and the laser resistance adds much to the survivability of the hover tank.
The "Saber Tiger" was named for one of the largest predators on Allison, the home planet of Apex Defense Manufacturers. The creature is similar in structure to the prehistoric Earth Sabertooth Tiger and is a fearsome predator and shares the giant Saber teeth with the extinct earth creature. The "Kodiak Tiger" is named for an even larger subspecies of the "Saber Tiger" which inhabits polar climates.
This Tank uses modified starship rules for its weaponry. See Revised Starship Rules for Phase World for more details.
(Note: The power system is fusion not anti-matter because the author's opinion is that anti-matter is to dangerous to be used in vehicles that may be used in an atmosphere. If a craft powered by anti-matter was to detonate in an atmosphere it would cause huge planetary damage. At GM option, this can also be applied to all vehicles or this MBT can be changed to anti-matter.)
Model Type: ADM-MBT-15
Vehicle Type: Main Battle Tank (Grav)
Crew: Three, one driver, one commander, and one gunner.
M.D.C. By Location:
|100 mm Variable Focus Particle Beam (Turret):||200|
| 8 mm Coaxial Gravity Rail Gun (Turret):||90|
|5 mm Pulse H.I. Laser Cupola / Mini-Turret (Turret):||120|
| Medium Range Missile Launchers (2):||100 each|
| NE-500R Micro-Missile Box Launchers (12):||40 each|
| Main Body:||1000|
| Variable Force Field:||200 per side (1,200 total)|
|Gunner / Commander Compartment||80|
 These are small and difficult targets to strike, requiring the attacker to make a "called shot," but even then the attacker is -4 to strike.
 The Weapons turret is unmanned by the crew, and contains the main weapons; Destroying it will knock the weapons out action but the crew will survive.
 If all the M.D.C. of the main body is depleted, the vehicle is completely shut down and is unsalvageable; The crew can survive unharmed in the reinforced crew compartments.
 Shields positions can be varied and all could be combined in one shield. Shields regenerate at the rate of 5% (60 M.D.C.) per melee.
Note: All hit location on the tank itself take half damage from laser weaponry. This does NOT included the variable force field.
Driving on the Ground: 155.3 mph (250 kph) maximum. The tank can make sharp turns and float over any obstacle. Note: The maximum top speed can be actually higher than this, but that is under ideal conditions, like straight roads and flat terrain. The low level terrain avoidance systems cannot operate properly at speeds faster than this.
Atmospheric Propulsion: Maximum cruise speed is 198.8 mph (320 kph), due to being a low powered Contra-Grav system, altitude is limited to 2,625 feet (800 meters.) Contra-Grav system can also control descent speed so that the tank can be dropped from orbit.
Underwater: The "Kodiak Tiger" can use its thrusters to travel up to a maximum speed of 27.3 mph (60 km).
Maximum Ocean Depth: 1 mile (1.6 km)
Maximum Range: Effectively Unlimited by drive system but only has supplies for crew for two weeks.
Length: 28.9 feet (8.8 meters) not including gun barrel and 42.0 feet (12.8 meters) with barrel forward
Height: 10.2 feet (3.1 meters) including top pulse laser.
Width: 13.1 feet (4.0 meters)
Weight: 130.1 tons (118 metric tons) fully loaded
Power System: Twin Advanced Fusion reactors with 30 year life span each
Cargo: Minimal storage space in pilots compartment; about three feet (0.9 m) in side dimensions for extra clothing, weapons, and personal items. Three carbines and one hand-held missile launcher with four loads each are stored in a compartment in the crew compartment.
Market Cost: 160 million credits. Double that on the Black Market. Production model of the "Saber Tiger" cost around 120 million credits but are out of production. There are no knock-offs of either model at present.
Note: Space ranges are given for when the tank is used on airless moons and other similar locations.
- 100 mm Variable Focus Heavy Particle Beam (1): Larger than the original cannon carried on the Kramer main battle tank. The cannon is mounted in the main turret with the ability to depress 10 degrees and elevate up to 80 degrees. Turret is designed for rapid movement and can rotate a full 360 degrees in just three seconds. Because of this, the cannon can target high speed airborne targets. In addition, the cannon has the ability to fire a wide shot beam with a reduced range but can hit multiple targets and excellent against missiles. The heavy particle beam draws a huge amount of power and energy is stored in a bank of powerful capacitors. The capacitors allow for rapid firing but are limited to forty shots before needing to recharge. The cannon can retain a rate of fire of 8 shots per minute only. Mounted with the cannon is a powerful fire control system. Main gun is usually controlled by the Gunner although both the commander have emergency controls.
- 8 mm Coaxial Gravity Rail gun (1): Mounted beside the heavy particle beam. It replaces the standard electromagnetic rail gun carried on the "Kramer" main battle tank. The Gravity rail gun fires projectiles at incredible velocities compared to rail guns on Rifts Earth. Gravity rail gun targets wherever the main particle beam targets. The gravity rail-gun shares the same fire control system with the particle beam and is normally controlled by the gunner. Like the particle beam, the driver and commander have auxiliary controls.
- 5 mm Mini-Turret HI Pulse Laser: Basically an HI-300 squad support weapon mounted in the turret which is remotely controlled by the Tank's commander or can be set on automatic. When set on independent fire setting, the laser has +4 to strike and has 5 attacks per melee. Weapon is very effective for shooting down missiles and is useful against ground targets as well. Turret can rotate 360 degrees in less than a second and can elevate up to 90 degrees vertical.
- Medium Range Missile Launchers (2): Mounted on the top of the turret tank are two medium missile launchers. The launchers are mounted in the same position as the mini-missile launchers are carried on the "Kramer" tank. Each of these launchers can fire of up to two missiles and the launcher has two reloads for each launchers for a total of twelve medium range missiles. Weapon system is used for hitting enemy robots, fighters, and missiles. Weapon system is also used for anti-cruise missile defense. Missile has a top speed of Mach 15 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 6% of light per turn. Launchers can launch on multiple targets at the same time.
- NE-500R Naruni Claymore Box Micro-Missile Launchers (12): Four launchers are mounted on the port and starboard sides of the tank and two are mounted on the front and back of the tank. If damaged, the launchers are designed to blow out from the tank instead of inwards if a warhead detonates. Each box launcher has a series of six cells wide by eight cells tall. The launchers are normally controlled by the artificial intelligence of the tank but can be overridden by the crew as well. When set on independent control, the launcher can fire up to twice times per melee per launcher in different sized volleys and the launcher can target multiple targets as well. The computer has +2 to strike if firing unguided micro-missiles and the bonuses of the missile (+4) if firing guided micro-missiles. Computer will normally guide two micro-missiles after each incoming mini-missile, short range missile, or medium range missile. Computer will normally guide four micro-missiles after each long range missile or cruise missiles. Against other targets, the launcher will normally guide four micro-missiles after a human sized soldier or sixteen micro-missiles after a target in power armor.
Maximum Effective Range: Single Target: 19.9 miles (32 km) in an atmosphere and 1,990 miles (3,200 km) in space. Wide Beam: 6.2 miles (10 km) in an atmosphere and 620 miles (1,000 km) in space.
Mega Damage: Single Target: 4D6x10+40 M.D.C. per Particle Beam blast. Wide Beam: 1D6x10+10 to all targets within a 500 foot (152 meter) diameter area. When fired as a wide beam, the cannon cannot be used on targets closer than 500 feet (152 meters) away.
Rate of Fire: Equal to the Gunner's combined hand to hand (usually 4 or 5).
Payload: 40 shots in capacitors, recharges at the rate of two shot per melee.
Bonuses: Has a special fire control computer that helps to aim the cannon. Gives +4 to strike with particle beam and vehicle does not have minuses to fire when tank is moving. (Wide beam has an additional +2 to strike fast moving targets)
Maximum Effective Range: 12,000 feet (3,660 meters) in an atmosphere and 228 miles (366 km) in space.
Mega Damage: 20 round burst inflicts3D4x10+20 M.D.C., one round does 3D6+6 M.D.
Rate of Fire: Equal to the Gunner's combined hand to hand (usually 4 or 5).
Payload: 4,000 Rounds (200 Bursts)
Bonuses: Has a special fire control computer that helps to aim the cannon. Gives +4 to strike with rail gun and vehicle does not have minuses to fire when tank is moving.
Maximum Effective Range: 4,000 feet (1,220 meters) in an atmosphere and 75 miles (120 km) in space.
Mega Damage: 6D6+6 per single shot, 2D6x10+20 for a rapid fire three shot burst, or use machine gun burst rules for higher burst setting.
Rate of Fire: Equal the Commander's number of hand to hand attacks or by computer (+4 to strike and has 5 attacks) - Single Shot, Three Round Burst, and Extended Bursts (Use Machine Gun burst rules).
Payload: Effectively Unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: Medium Range Missile range is 160 miles (257.5 km) in an atmosphere and 80,000 miles (128,750 km/0.43 light seconds) in space.
Mega-Damage: Varies with medium range missile type (See revised Phase World missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two or four medium ranges missiles between both launchers.
Payload: Six medium range missiles per launcher for twelve medium range missiles total.
Maximum Effective Range: As per micro-missile type (1 mile [1.6 km] for unguided micro-missiles or 2 miles [3.2 km] for guided micro-missiles). Using modified rules, multiply ranges by 8 times in space
Mega Damage: 6D6 per micro-missile
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), eight (8), twelve (12), twenty-four (24), or forty-eight (48) missiles per launcher.
Payload: 48 micro-missiles per launcher for 576 micro-missiles.
Sensors & Equipment:
Has all the normal sensors and equipment of power armors and armored vehicles in the Three Galaxies plus the following special features.
- Gravity Wave Sensor: Similar to sensor system in PA E-1000 Enforcer. System uses gravity waves like a form of radar. Range is 2000 ft (610 m) in an atmosphere and has 1000 times that range when operated in space. The system can electronically map the insides of structures. Combined with thermographics, will also detect invisible targets and find people inside building or ships, and even detect traps and hidden rooms. The sensor system cannot penetrate force fields or phase fields, however.
- Neutrino Detector: All fusion, fission and Anti Matter reactors output neutrinos. The detector uses a specialized magnetic field to capture and focus neutrinos into a sensor designed to detect neutrinos. The system also eliminates neutrinos from the sun although it is impossible to detect a target if the sun is directly in the sensor as well due to the sun overloading the ability of the system to detect neutrinos. The Neutrino sensor has a range of 50 miles (80 km) in an atmosphere and has a range of 5,000 miles (8,050 km) in space. The sensor has a 60% chance of being able to be able to differentiate between fusion, antimatter, and fission reactors.
- Limited AI computer: This AI system normally controls all of the micro-missile launchers and can be set to control the top mounted pulse laser. It can recognize enemy soldiers at 80% proficiency, and friendly troops at 95% proficiency. It will not fire when in doubt, but it can at any time be overridden by one of the tank's crew members.
[ Brodkil TM, Bushido Industries TM, CAF TM, Catyr TM, CCW TM, Consortium of Civilized Worlds TM, Free Worlds Council TM, Gene Splicers TM, K-Hex TM, Kittani TM, Kreeghor TM, Machine People TM, M.D.C. TM, Mega-Damage TM, M’Kri Hardware TM, Monro TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, Noro TM, Paradise Federation TM, Phase World TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Seljuks TM, Splugorth TM, Trans-Galactic Empire TM, Tri-Galactic Military Service TM, United Worlds Warlock TM, U.W.W. TM, Wolfen TM, and Zembahk TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2004, Kitsune. All rights reserved.