ATFX-I-300-A War Hawk Mark V Advanced Technology Fighter(CAF):
This experimental proto-type star fighter is the culmination of 5 years of reverse engineering by Consortium Armed Forces Research & Development teams assigned to study the one intact Spinerette fighter craft known to have been recovered sense these aliens were initially sighted. The ship not only employs advanced weapons of Consortium design, but also features a revolutionary incorporation of forcefield technology. Attempts to duplicate the alien's space fold systems resulted in the discovery of a new type of drive system that is not, as yet, fully understood. The first few attempts resulted in the destruction of their test bed fighters and the unfortunate loss of one pilot.
However CAF authority felt that the possible gains were worth continued study, so the project was allowed to go forward although with a reduced budget. Detailed studies of the alien star drive lead scientist to develop the Quantum Slip Stream Drive. This new drive system does not fold space, it allows, in theory, any so equipped vessel to create a quantum field oscillation about itself. This field creates the necessary conditions for light plus travel. When coupled with conventional contra gravity propulsion, the design teams noted an almost 150% increase in vessel speed performance. Unfortunately they have yet to perfect a formula which would allow a capitol star ship to make the same transition. It is assumed that once these drives can be produced in a more economic manner, that all CAF warships and exploration vessels will incorporate the new system. At this time there are only two fully functional Slip Stream units. 1 is installed in the proto type while the other remains at a secure facility in CCW controlled space. Unfortunately, the prototype was stolen by a test pilot and is thought to have been destroyed while escaping in an asteroid field in Free World Council space. There is talk that the ship might have actually been seized by the Free Worlds Council. From observations from the pursuing Warshield class cruiser, it appears that the fighter is operating up to all expectations. Work is being done on a second prototype at a much greater rate.
This Starfighter design uses modified starship speed and ranges. See Revised Starship Rules for Phase World for more details.
(Note: The power system is fusion not anti-matter because the author's opinion is that anti-matter is to dangerous to be used in vehicles that may be used in an atmosphere. If a starship powered by anti-matter was to detonate in an atmosphere it would cause huge planetary damage. At GM option, this can also be applied to all starfighters or this fighter can be changed to anti-matter.)
Model Type: ATFX-I-300-A
Class: Space Superiority Fighter / FTL Pursuit Fighter
M.D.C. by Location:
|Graviton Stream Cannons (2, wingtips):||120 each|
|Advanced Tachyon Pulse Cannons (2, wingtips):||100 each|
|Mini-Missile Launcher (Nose):||80|
|Missile Pylons (4, on the Underside):||10 each|
|Pilots Cockpit/Escape Pod:||240|
| Main Wings (2, Rear)||250 each|
| Slip-Stream Inducers (2, lower wings):||150 each|
| Main Body:||600|
| Variable Force Field:||200 per side (1,200 total)|
 Destruction of a wing will mean that fighter relies on just contra-grav flight systems. Fighter will loose al bonuses and have a -2 to dodge as well as reducing the fighters atmospheric cruise speed by 25%.
 The Slip-Stream Inductors are used to enhance the ship’s standard star drive. F.T.L. speeds and sublight acceleration are reduced without them.(one light year per hour on F.T.L. and about .3% of C in sublight acceleration per Inductor.) These are small targets and require a called shot at -4 to be hit.
 The ships increased main body is accounted for by the addition of a series low power gravitic force fields designed to increase the vessels structural integrity. At nominal output the ship’s hull (and other load bearing members) density is increased by almost 100%. As a result of her increased density the ship is 50% more likely to survive missile strikes. (Half damage from explosive impact but not energy weapons.). Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body will put the fighter out of commission. All internal systems will shut down, including life support and internal gravity. The ship itself will be an unsalvageable floating wreck.
 Shields positions can be varied and all could be combined in one shield. Shields regenerate at the rate of 5% (90 M.D.C.) per melee round.
Driving on the Ground: Not Possible.
Sublight: Has a special sublight engine that allows the ship to travel up to 40 percent of the speed of light. Fighter can accelerate/decelerate at the rate of 1.9 percent of light per melee. (If the Slip stream generators are damage, reduce acceleration to 1.3 percent of light per melee)
Atmospheric Propulsion: Maximum normal speed is Mach 8 (5931.6 mph / 9546 kph), fighter can enter and leave an atmosphere because flight system is by contra grav. If the fighter is fully loaded, reduce maximum speed to Mach 7 (5,190.2 mph/ 8,352.8 kph) in an atmosphere.
Stardrive: The fighter has a Gravitronic Slip Stream Drive system which allows the ship to reach a maximum of four light-years per hour (2 Light Years per hour on standard CG Drive only.)
Height: 10 feet (3.04 meters)
Width: 51 feet (15.54 meters)
Length: 58 feet (17.67 meters)
Weight: 18 tons (16.3 metric tons)
Power System: Advanced Fusion with a 40 year lifespan
Cargo: A small (3 x 3 x 3 ft / 1 x 1 x 1 m ) compartment located beneath and slightly forward of the pilot's seat.
Market Cost: Not yet available. Any government (Including the CAF) would pay 2 billion credits or more for an intact and operational model. It is believed that the prototype cost in the area of 500 million credits to construct and that when the fighters reach production, they will cost 100 milllion each to construct.
- Graviton Stream Cannons (2): The weapon uses controlled opposing gravimetric waves to create an energy beam weapon that shreds the target. The weapons do full damage to targets with the spell impervious to energy and cosmic knight will take 1/10 damage (10%) instead of the normal 1/100 damage (1%). Since gravity propagates itself at FTL speeds, this weapon can actually be used against vehicles that are traveling at faster than the speed of light.
- Advanced Tachyon Pulse Guns (2): This weapon is similar to the weapon mounted for point defense on some capital ships but fires a more directed beam instead of a scatter of tachyons. This weapon also has a much longer range than the point defense tachyon scatter weapons. Because tachyons are faster than the speed of light, this weapon is effective against targets that are moving at light speed or greater. For some reason yet unknown, the cannon will instantly overload if fired in an atmosphere so lockouts have been added so the cannon cannot be fired in an atmosphere
- Mini-Missile Pod: This is a pack of mini missiles in the nose of the fighter that can be used against ground targets, infantry, and against starships. Missile has a top speed of Mach 10 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 2% of light per turn (slightly faster than any starship except if it is exceeding it maximum safe acceleration). Mini-Missile is phase world are normally guided.
- Missile Pylons (4): On the underbelly of the fighter are four missile racks that allows the fighter to carry one cruise missile, two long range missiles, or four medium range missiles each. Individual pylons must carry all the same type ordnance but each pylon may carry different types of ordnance. Cruise missile are normally carried when on an anti-capital ship role and long and medium range missiles when fighting other starfighters. Cruise Missiles have a top speed of Mach 25 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 10% of light per turn (far faster than any starship.) Long Range Missiles have a top speed of Mach 20 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 8% of light per turn (faster than any starship.) Medium Range Missiles have a top speed of Mach 15 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 6% of light per turn. Whether weapons can be shot down is calculated from the speed of target, launcher, and missile. When drive goes dead, missile will continue to travel in a straight line unless set to self destruct but has very low odds of hitting starships (Great for hitting bases and planets because target does not move and missile when dead at -25% to detect.) Cruise missiles have minuses to hit small targets but are all considered smart missiles. Missiles can be launched on multiple targets simultaneously.
Maximum Effective Range: 6 miles (9.65 km) through atmosphere and 600 miles (965 km) in space.
Mega-Damage: 2D6x10 per single blast or 4D6x10 per double blast (can be combined with tachyon pulse cannons [Maximum of 6D6x10+20 at still the cost of one attack]).
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined hand to hand attacks of the pilot (usually 4 or 5).
Payload: Effectively Unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: 1,200 miles (1,930 km) in space. Not available in an atmosphere.
Mega Damage: 4D6 for one cannon, 8D6 for both cannons, 1D6x10+10 for three round burst from one cannon, 2D6x10+20 for three round burst from both barrels [6 total shots] (can be combined with graviton stream cannons [Maximum of 6D6x10+20 at still the cost of one attack]).
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined hand to hand attacks of the pilot (usually 4 or 5).
Payload: Effectively Unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: Mini-Missile range is 2 miles (3.2 km) in an atmosphere and 100 miles (161 km) in space.
Mega-Damage: Varies with mini-missile type (See revised Phase World missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), eight (8), or twelve (12) missiles.
Payload: 48 mini-missiles
Maximum Effective Range: Cruise Missile range is 8,000 miles (12,875 km) in an atmosphere and 4,000,000 miles (6,437,376 km/ 21.5 light seconds), Long Range Missile range is 3,400 miles (5,470 km) in an atmosphere and 1,800,000 miles (2,897,000 km/9.7 light seconds) in space, and Medium Range Missile range is 160 miles (257.5 km) in an atmosphere and 80,000 miles (128,750 km/0.43 light seconds) in space.
Mega-Damage & Properties: See revised Phase World missile tables for details (Cruise Anti-Matter multi-warheads inflict 5D6x100 M.D.C. each and Long Range Fusion warheads inflict 2D4x100 M.D.C. each.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two, three, or four missiles.
Payload: 1 Cruise Missile, 2 Long Range Missiles, or 4 Medium Range Missiles per Pylon.
- Structural Integrity Field: This system uses a low power graviton field to enhance the ships super structure and increase the stress capacity of the load bearing members. It renders the ship resistance to impact damage from kinetic weapons and missile fire. The ship will take half damage from all such attacks, however this system can be overwhelmed: Any single attack which does more than 500 MD will overload the SIF. Any subsequent attack does full damage. Once overloaded the field will take 15 seconds to renew itself, provided the fighter has survived. This system provides no protection against energy weapons
- Self Destruct System: The addition of the SIF rendered existing destruct packages ineffective. A new system was developed using the Slip Stream device as a focal point and thus insuring its' complete destruction. When triggered the device converts the immense energy present in the steams' quantum matrix into pure kinetic force. The release of this energy causes massive structural failure and multiple feed backs though out the ships power grid. These overloads generally result in loss of fussion containment. The resulting explosion will inflict 4D6x100 MD to a 1 mile radius.
- Security Countermeasures: The Noro researchers felt that additional security was necessary for these ships. So a new security feature was designed to answer this challenge. To prevent theft of either the operating system programming or the fighter itself , the system incorporates an advanced ID confirmation protocols. The system scans for theta-wave verification.( All pilots are required to submit Theta and Alpha brain wave printings for security verification prior to their first solo.) Security scans are taken through the pilot's flight helmet (which is custom made for each pilot, and includes a Psi-Lyte crystal interface.) and if the theta-wave patterns do not match individuals attempting to access the ship (this includes Psionic Tampering of any kind.) That individual will receive a nasty psionic shock every 5 seconds until either ME is reduced to 0 (hence individual is unconscious) or the helmet is removed: subtract 1D6 from M.E. ( these points return at a rate of one (1) every 2 minutes ) and is dazed for 1D6 minutes. (-5 strike, parry, and dodge , reduce number of attacks per melee by half , -30% to all skills and can not use any psionics.
Because the slip stream system is presently experimental, the system has a problem with failure at FTL speeds. This does not effect the system in sublight travel. The system only fails when activated. Once operating, the system will operate correctly. Eventually the problems with the system will be corrected.
Roll on table below to determine if the system fails to operate correctly:
|01 to 03||Complete Failure: The slipstream system does not operate: the ship may still travel at 2 light years per hour on normal Contra Grav. Drives|
|04 to 09||Partial Failure: The slipstream only operates at half capacity and fighter only travels at 3 light year per hour|
|10 to 16||Variable Output: The FTL booster does not keep fighter at a constant FTL speed. This complicates navigation and pilot must make a Navigation: Space roll with a -20% penalty or be 4D10% off course.|
|17 to 00||System works flawlessly|
The fighter is an extremely agile combat craft, easily out pacing other fighters of it's class. The SIF and improved CG sub-light impellers provide more precise control and more stable handling. A well trained pilot could make this fighter one of the most effective star fighters in known space. Listed bonuses are in addition to combat training.
- Initiative: +2
Piloting Skill: +10%
Dog Fighting: +3
[ Brodkil TM, Bushido Industries TM, CAF TM, Catyr TM, CCW TM, Consortium of Civilized Worlds TM, Free Worlds Council TM, Gene Splicers TM, K-Hex TM, Kittani TM, Kreeghor TM, Machine People TM, M.D.C. TM, Mega-Damage TM, M’Kri Hardware TM, Monro TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, Noro TM, Paradise Federation TM, Phase World TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Seljuks TM, Splugorth TM, Trans-Galactic Empire TM, Tri-Galactic Military Service TM, United Worlds Warlock TM, U.W.W. TM, Wolfen TM, and Zembahk TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Image drawn and copyrighted by Jorge Albuquerque (firstname.lastname@example.org) .
More Jorge Albuquerque artwork at 3D Station
Original concept and original design by Eric Johnson
Revised and updated by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 1999, Kitsune & Eric Johnson. All rights reserved.