MBT-35-2 Phalanx II Main Battle Tank (CAF):
The Phalanx is one of the oldest vehicle designs still in service in the Consortium Armed Forces and is beginning to show its age. The first prototypes were employed by the Wolfen Empire centuries before and the design has never received a thorough upgrade. While considered by most to be extremely heavily armed, it requires a crew of eight while many other tank designs require crews of only three. The Human Alliance is replacing their Phalanx with new "Slammer" and "Sniper" designs. The Consortium Army leadership decided that replacing all Phalanx class tanks would not be cost effect and instead began studying how they could upgrade the old design. One of the most important goals was to reduce the crew of Phalanx main battle tank. Other important upgrades included a new force field and improving the weapon systems. So far, only a relatively small number of Phalanx tanks have been upgraded to the Phalanx II but plans are to upgraded all over the new several of decades. The Wolfen government is also considering a similar upgrade although starship budgets are considered of primary importance. Some other independent owners have done minor upgraded to their Phalanx tanks, often replacing the forward force field although most are for the most part unmodified and it is not likely that the upgrade to the Phalanx II standard will be offered on the open market.
In order to reduce the crew of the Phalanx, it was necessary to both link weapon systems and to automated some of the weapon mounts. Controlling the automation is a powerful artificial intelligence. Along with these upgrades, sensor systems are improved in the Phalanx II including a gravity sensor to detect concealed targets. The power plant is for the most part unchanged from the original model although a few minor changes where made for additional safety. While the Phalanx cannot truly fly like the Phoenix Armory designs, it can operate at low altitudes and the gravity flight system can be used to reduce descent velocity so the grav tank can be dropped from orbit. This is not well know by many civilians and most assume the tank has to be brought to the surface by an assault shuttle. The original Phalanx had a system designed to limit the top speed while in low level flight. This has been removed from the upgraded Phalanx II. Armor is considered generally adequate and is unmodified on the upgrade model. The force field generator is replaced by a starfighter system shield generator. The starfighter type shields are more efficient and actually require less internal space than the original generator. The ability to protect all sides of the tank with the force field is considered a major advantage over the force carried on the original Phalanx.
The main weapons are controlled by a single gunner and have been upgraded with twin fighter type lasers replacing the single laser mounted in the original Phalanx. The lasers are mounted on either side of the heavy gravity cannon and the gunner can fire all three weapons in a single shot if desired. The ten centimeter heavy gravity cannon is unmodified except for upgrades to fire control system and a wider variety of ammunition has been developed for the heavy cannon. The fire control upgrades are not as sophisticated as the fire control systems carried on the Sniper tank. Some source gave ranges of little better than twelve hundred meters for the cannon. This is incorrect and likely due to the fact than many engagements still occur at such short ranges. Direct fire range for the cannon is almost twenty kilometers although this is blocked by terrain. The weapon could also be fired out indirectly at ranges up to almost forty kilometers. Designers wanted to improve both ranges for indirect fire and direct fire with the main cannon. This was done by the introduction of a new projectile which mounts its own gravity propulsion similar to some old design projectiles using ramjets to improve projectile velocity. Range is increased to almost thirty kilometers for direct fire and almost fifty kilometers for indirect fire. So far only solid projectile rounds have been developed as extended range projectiles. Each round is far more expensive than conventional rounds. In addition to greater range, the damage of high velocity armor piercing solid projectiles is about a quarter greater than standard projectiles. The ammunition storage is reorganized to allow for carrying up to sixty projectiles. Due to alterations in the turret, the Phalanx II looks quite a bit different than the original Phalanx.
Except for the flechette cannon and the mini-missile launchers, all secondary systems are designed to be able to be controlled by an automatic fire control system controlled by the tank's artificial intelligence. The side mounts have been replaced by a variable focus particle beam identical to the mount in the front of the tank. These three mounts make a formidable defense system for the tank. The top light gravity rail gun can also be fired on automatic although it is often controlled by the tank's commander. There was also of discussion of replacing the top mounted gravity rail gun with a more powerful mount but the original weapon was retained due to cost. As might be expected, the mini-missile launchers are also unmodified. While the 200 mm flechette cannon is unmodified, a variety of different ammunition types have been developed for it. These include a anti-personnel minefield and a special mine clearing charge.
In addition to standard Phalanx II main battle tank, engineers have developed a command version of the grav tank. The Consortium plans to field a command tank for each company (twelve to sixteen tanks) and the Command Tank retains a crew of eight of the original Phalanx. Four of the crew perform the role of command and control with the company's Commanding Officer and three communication technicians. The Commanding Officer's job is not to command the tank directly and that job is performed by the tank's commander. To make space for the additional personnel and communication gear, armor is slightly reduced along with a reduction in ammunition for the light gravity rail gun and for the flechette cannon.
This Tank uses modified starship rules for its weaponry. See Revised Starship Rules for Phase World for more details.
(Note: The power system is fusion not anti-matter because the author's opinion is that anti-matter is to dangerous to be used in vehicles that may be used in an atmosphere. If a craft powered by anti-matter was to detonate in an atmosphere it would cause huge planetary damage. At GM option, this can also be applied to all vehicles or this MBT can be changed to anti-matter.)
|Model Type:||MBT-35-2||Upgraded "Phalanx" Grav Tank|
|MBT-35-2C||Command "Phalanx" Grav Tank|
|Crew:||MBT-35-2||Four (Driver, Commander, Two Gunners)|
|MBT-35-2C||Eight (Driver, 2 Commanders, Two Gunners, Three Comm Operators)|
|M.D.C. By Location:||Standard Version:||Command Version:|
|20 mm Laser Cannons (2, Coaxial to Gravity Cannon):||100 each||100 each|
|100 mm Heavy Gravity Cannon (Turret):||200||200|
|6 mm Light Gravity Auto-Cannon (Cupola on Turret):||120||120|
|10 mm Variable Focus Particle Beam Cannons (3, Hull):||200 each||200 each|
|200 mm Flechette Gun (Left Front of Hull):||180||180|
|Mini-Missile Launcher (Behind Turret):||160||160|
| Main Body||950||850|
|Gunners Compartments (2):||100 each||100 each|
| Variable Force Field:||200 side (1,200 total)||200 side (1,200 total)|
 Destroying the turret prevents the use of all its weapon systems.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body destroys the vehicle.
 Shields positions can be varied and all could be combined in one shield. Shields regenerate at the rate of 5% (60 M.D.C.) per melee round.
Driving on the ground: 200 mph (320 kph) maximum. The Phalanx's contra gravity system allows it to make very tight turns, change directions unexpectedly, and float over any obstacle.
Flying: Limited flying abilities. Unlike conventional hover vehicles, the Phalanx uses a contra gravity system and can fly at speeds of 200 mph (320 kph) to a maximum altitude of 1000 feet (305 meters) in the air. The disadvantage of flying is that the tank is designed to fight close to the ground. Contra-Grav system can also control descent speed so that the tank can be dropped from orbit.
Underwater: The Phalanx can use its thrusters to travel up to a maximum speed of 27.3 mph (60 kph).
Maximum Ocean Depth: 1 mile (1.6 km)
Maximum Range: Effectively Unlimited by drive system but only has supplies for crew for four weeks.
Height: 24 feet (7.3 meters) including cupola and 20.3 (6.2 meters) to top of turret
Width: 30 feet (9.1 meters)
Length: 40 feet (12.2 meters)
Weight: 265 tons (240.4 metric tons)
Cargo: Minimal storage space: about three feet (0.9 m) in side dimensions for extra clothing, weapons and personal items.
Power System: Advanced Fusion reactors with average energy life of 30 years
Market Cost: Not available on the open market but would probably costs around 185 million credits for a fully operational and equipped Phalanx II. Command version of the Phalanx would probably cost around 225 million credits.
Note: Space ranges are given for when the tank is used on airless moons and other similar locations.
- 20 mm HI-Laser cannons (2): These laser cannons are identical to those carried on the standard Black Eagle Starfighter and have greater range than the original laser cannons carried on the Phalanx. One is mounted on either side of the heavy gravity rail cannon and target the same location. The laser cannons can be fired individually or can be combined. The laser cannons can also be combined with the heavy rail cannon for greater damage at close range targets.
- 100 mm Heavy Gravity Rail Cannon: This heavy gravity cannon normally fires hyper-dense projectiles which have incredible penetration. The cannon is mounted in the centerline of the turret and is controlled by the main turret gunner. Projectile comes out of launcher at relativistic velocities in space and at hypersonic speeds in a atmosphere. Weapon is often limited by line of sight. In addition to being able to carry solid projectiles, the cannon can also fire high explosive and other conventional munitions.
- 6 mm Light Gravity Auto-Cannon: This rapid-fire gun is located on a cupola on top of the main turret and can be operated by the tank's commander or can be set for automatic and controlled by the computer. Weapon is useful against both ground targets and airborne targets including missiles. The mount can rotate 360 degrees and can elevate up to 90 degrees to hit airborne targets. When set on independent fire setting, the mount has +3 to strike and has 5 attacks per melee.
- 10 mm Variable Focus Particle Beam Cannons (3): Originally, the Grav Tank only mounted a single particle beam cannon in the front of the tank. This mount has been modified for a wider arc of fire and the light lasers on the sides have been replaced by variable focus particle beams as well. The weapon is extremely useful. The particle beam is relatively short ranged but can fire as a concentrated beam or can spread out fire. When firing is a wide beam, it is extremely useful against infantry and missiles. The mounts can be controlled on automatic by the computer or can be controlled by the crew via remote. Most crews keep the weapons on automatic and When set on independent fire setting, the mount has +3 to strike and has 5 attacks per melee.
- 200 mm Gravity Flechette Gun: It is a bit like the Glitter Boy`s Boom Gun, and fires hundreds of small darts with every shot. The gun is equally effective against heavily armored targets, or to mow down infantrymen. When fired, the gun launches a single canister filled with hundreds of darts. when the canister has cleared the hull it bursts open, releasing the cloud of darts in a predetermined shotgun-like pattern. Because of this the gun does a great deal of damage to large targets, and less damage to smaller targets. The gun can also be used to shoot down incoming missiles (+2 to shoot missiles aimed at the front of the tank, CAN hit a large spread of missiles due to its shotgun-like pattern). The mount can rotate 300 degrees from side to side and the rail gun has a elevation of 90 degrees up and 5 degrees down. Weapon is controlled by a gunner riding beside the driver and can also be controlled by the driver. Several special types of ammunition have been developed for weapon including a special anti-personnel minefield and a mine clearing charge. The mine clearing charge releases an explosive new which is designed to destroy mines.
Maximum Effective Range: 5 miles (8 km) through atmosphere and 500 miles (800 km) in space.
Mega-Damage: 2D4x10 per single blast or 4D4x10 per double blast (can be combined with rail gun at still the cost of one attack).
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined hand to hand attacks of the Turret Gunner (usually 4 or 5).
Payload: Effectively Unlimited
Bonuses: Has a special fire control computer that helps to aim the cannon. Gives +2 to strike with laser cannons and vehicle does not have minuses to fire when tank is moving.
A special new projectile with a gravity drive system has been developed which increases both velocity and range of the projectile. This is similar to Ramjet ammunition in concept. Only solid projectiles have been developed using the new propulsion system.
Maximum Effective Range: Standard Projectiles: Direct Fire of 11.2 miles (18 kilometers) in an atmosphere and 1120 miles (1800 kilometers) in space. Projectiles can be fired indirectly in an atmosphere at ranges up to 22.4 miles (36 kilometers.) Extended Range Projectiles: Direct Fire of 17.4 miles (28 kilometers) in an atmosphere and 1740 miles (2800 kilometers) in space. Projectiles can be fired indirectly in an atmosphere at ranges up to 28.6 miles (46 kilometers.)
Mega-Damage: Standard Projectiles: Solid Projectile inflicts 4D6x10 (optional rule is that cannon gets a critical on a natural 18, 19, or 20 due to its high penetration). Can use High Explosive Fragmentation that inflicts 5D6 with a blast radius of 40 feet (12 meter). High Explosive ammo inflicts 2D4x10 in a 20 feet (6 meter) radius and High Explosive Armor Piercing inflicts 3D6x10 in a 6 feet (1.8 meter) radius. Extended Range Projectiles: Solid Projectile inflicts 5D6x10+20 (optional rule is that cannon gets a critical on a natural 18, 19, or 20 due to its high penetration).
Rate of Fire: Equal to the number of combined hand to hand attacks of the Turret Gunner.
Payload: 60 rounds
Bonuses: Has a special fire control computer that helps to aim the cannon. Gives +2 to strike with the heavy gravity rail cannons and vehicle does not have minuses to fire when tank is moving.
Maximum Effective Range: 4,000 feet (1,220 meters) in an atmosphere and 75 miles (120 km) in space.
Mega-Damage: A burst is 40 rounds and inflicts 1D6x10+10 M.D. Can only fire bursts.
Rate of Fire: Equal the Commander's number of hand to hand attacks or by computer (+3 to strike and has 5 attacks.)
Payload: Standard Version: 8,000 rounds (200 bursts). Command Version: 6,000 rounds (150 bursts)
Maximum Effective Range: Single Target: 4,000 feet (1,220 meters) in an atmosphere and 75 miles (120 km) in space. Wide Beam: 1,200 feet (366 meters) in an atmosphere and 22.7 miles (36.6 km) in space.
Mega Damage: Single Target: 1D6x10 M.D.C. per Particle Beam blast. Wide Beam: 6D6 to all targets within a 100 foot (30.4 meter) diameter area.
Rate of Fire: Equal the gunners' number of hand to hand attacks or by computer (+3 to strike and has 5 attacks) - Wide beam has an additional +2 to strike fast moving targets.
Payload: Effectively unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: Flechette Round: 12,000 feet (3.6 km) through atmosphere and 224 miles (360 km) in space. Anti-Infantry Minefield / Mine Clearing Charge: 6000 feet (1890 meters) both in the atmosphere and in space
- Flechette Round: Against a large target (10 feet/3 meters tall/wide
or higher), the flechette gun inflicts 3D4x10 M.D. Against human sized targets
the flechettes do 1D4x10 M.D. to a area 30 feet (9.1 meters) in diameter
(has an additional +2 to strike fast moving targets.)
Anti-Infantry Minefield: Projectile delivers 50 mines which inflict 8D6 each with a blast radius of 10 feet (3 meters.) When deployed, the minefield will cover an area 150 ft (45.7 m) in diameter.
Mine Clearing Charge: Inflicts 2D6+2 to all targets within the blast area of the net. Also has a 90% of clearing all of the mines within the blast area. Effects an area 1312 feet (400 meters) long and a width of 65.6 feet (20 meters)
Payload: Standard Version: 200 rounds. Command Version: 100 rounds.
Maximum Effective Range: Mini-Missile range is 2 miles (3.2 km) in an atmosphere and 100 miles (161 km) in space.
Mega-Damage: Varies with mini-missile type (See revised Phase World missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4). eight (8), or twelve (12) missiles.
Payload: 48 missiles total.
Sensors & Equipment:
Has all the normal sensors and equipment of power armors and armored vehicles in the Three Galaxies plus the following special features.
- Gravity Wave Sensor: Similar to sensor system in PA E-1000 Enforcer. System uses gravity waves like a form of radar. Range is 2000 feet (610 meters) in an atmosphere and has 1000 times that range when operated in space. The system can electronically map the insides of structures. Combined with thermographics, will also detect invisible targets and find people inside building or ships, and even detect traps and hidden rooms. The sensor system cannot penetrate force fields or phase fields, however.
- Neutrino Detector: All fusion, fission and Anti Matter reactors output neutrinos. The detector uses a specialized magnetic field to capture and focus neutrinos into a sensor designed to detect neutrinos. The system also eliminates neutrinos from the sun although it is impossible to detect a target if the sun is directly in the sensor as well due to the sun overloading the ability of the system to detect neutrinos. The Neutrino sensor has a range of 50 miles (80 km) in an atmosphere and has a range of 5,000 miles (8,050 km) in space. The sensor has a 60% chance of being able to be able to differentiate between fusion, antimatter, and fission reactors.
- Limited AI computer: This AI system normally controls all of the variable focus particle beams and can be set to control the top mounted light gravity rail gun. It can recognize enemy soldiers at 80% proficiency, and friendly troops at 95% proficiency. It will not fire when in doubt, but it can at any time be overridden by one of the tank's crew members.
[ Brodkil TM, Bushido Industries TM, CAF TM, Catyr TM, CCW TM, Consortium of Civilized Worlds TM, Free Worlds Council TM, Gene Splicers TM, K-Hex TM, Kittani TM, Kreeghor TM, Machine People TM, M.D.C. TM, Mega-Damage TM, M’Kri Hardware TM, Monro TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, Noro TM, Paradise Federation TM, Phase World TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Seljuks TM, Splugorth TM, Trans-Galactic Empire TM, Tri-Galactic Military Service TM, United Worlds Warlock TM, U.W.W. TM, Wolfen TM, and Zembahk TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2004, Kitsune. All rights reserved.