Archduchess Maria class Light Dreadnought (Caramelles Kingdom):
While called a "Dreadnought,"the ship is better described as a "Battle Cruiser" in size. The term "Dreadnought" however is more impressive. The "Light" is only added by military analysts studying these ships and is not used by the Caramelles Kingdom itself. The reality is that no even many smaller star nations operate ships of the size class of the Archduchess Maria class and even fewer actually build such ships. Most prefer to build cruisers as their largest ships.
Most systems or smaller star nations do not build their own ships anyway and prefer to purchase their ships from the larger governments. Because these larger powers do not like to give up top of the line vessels, many of these are older discards no longer considered capable in front line duties. The Caramelles Kingdom has extensive shipbuilding facilities however and builds ships both for their own navy and export their ships to other nations, mercenary companies, and even questionable clientele.
Originally, the Caramelles Kingdom was on quite good terms with Consortium but this quickly changed. With their willingness to share their technology and sell military hardware with almost anybody, this very quickly soured. As such, members governments of the Consortium are not allowed to share higher level technology with the Kingdom. This has not stopped the Kingdom from trying to get advanced technology through clandestine means but this has been of mixed success. The Kingdom's technology, especially in military areas, is less advanced than the Consortium although is more advanced than many smaller powers. The main exception is in fighter designs, something that the military is working to resolve. In addition, the Kingdom is attempting to work out a technological exchange with the Free Worlds Council.
Encompassing six inhabited systems, the Caramelles Kingdom is one of the lesser powers within the Three Galaxies but should not be discounted. They are located closest in spacial terms to Consortium of Civilized Worlds occupied space. Settlers from the Human Alliance concerned with non human influence first settled the Caramelles Kingdom and the leaders formed a quite feudal like society with a powerful psychic nobility. Each planet is ruled by a Archduke or Archduchess. The non democratic nature of the Caramelles Kingdom and their treatment on non humans are yet two more reasons for the bad relations between the Consortium and the Kingdom. The Kingdom also appears to be eying its neighbors who are not members of the Consortium with an eye towards conquest.
Only a total of eight of these "Light Dreadnoughts" have been built with four having been built for the Caramelles Kingdom, the Archduchess Maria, Archduke Leone, Prince Daniel, and Princess Camille with four more having been built for other systems. Ships operated by the kingdom have large officer compliments. On vessels not operated by the kingdom, the number of officers can likely be halved. These ships are the largest warships ever built by the Kingdom and acts as flag ships. They have extensive flag facilities and have an incredibly luxurious suite for an admiral or upper noble. This is often one and the same because officers have to be noble born and higher officers, such as admirals, are from the highest noble families. One of these ships might also be used to transport a dignity to another system or a meeting. As flagships, the crews are some of the best within the Kingdom. As well, they are usually escorted by several cruisers and destroyers. They rarely operate independently.
At over six hundred meters, the light dreadnought is smaller than the Wolfen Legatus class battlecruiser and larger than the Tri-Galactic Military Services Wyvern class Pocket Battleship. Archduchess Maria class should not be discounted and the ship is surprisingly tough and mounts quite respectable firepower. Quite blocky in general design, the light dreadnought is better armored than the mercenary pocket battleship and mounts better variable shields than the same mercenary design equal to the older Wolfen battlecruisers.
Weapon array on these ships is actually quite unusual. The main long range battery are four 28 cm heavy particle beams similar to what Human Alliance warships mounted prior to the Caramelles Kingdom's formation. The four are mounted on the front corners of the dreadnought making up the main long range firepower of the ship. These ships also have twenty 12 cm laser cannons with three on each side of the dreadnought mounted in bays with five each bay. Between the particle beams and the laser cannons, these ships can be devastating at energy weapon range.
Caramelles Kingdom has some interesting developments in mass driver / rail gun technology. Mounted directly forward is a single heavy mass driver. When not ready to fire, the weapon is protected by a heavy hatch. Firing a much larger 40 cm projectile, the weapons is in some ways similar to the ones mounted on the latest generation of Consortium warships although fired through electromagnetics instead of through a gravity system. With a mass of around ten times that of the round fired from the Consortium weapon, the high density projectile is even more capable of smashing a target. A single round was able to completely destroy a Hunter class destroyer. While partially guided, radar guided not tachyon guided, the weapon does suffer from being fairly inaccurate. Range on the 40 cm mass driver is slightly greater than the 20 cm weapons mounted on Consortium ships but have only half the rate of fire. As well, payload is far less with only forty rounds carried, enough for five minutes of continuous fire. With the creation of the sub caliber projectiles for the Consortium 20 cm, the Kingdom military is study a similar modification to their 40 cm projectile.
As these ships are designed around heavy energy weapon, the missile weaponry is much lighter. The ships mount two capital missile batteries and six long range missile batteries. The launchers are smaller than those mounted on newer Consortium warships and have a lower number of missile which can be fired per volley. The six long range missile batteries only equal the four on a Warshield class cruiser and the cruise missile throw is fifty percent less than the Consortium cruiser. Presently, the Kingdom has standard fusion and anti-matter warheads only including multi-warhead. A hope among military leaders is to negotiate with the Free Worlds Council for the technology for X-Ray laser warheads.
Point defense on the Archduchess Maria class is quite impressive and include sixteen combination particle beam and mini-missile launchers and sixteen combination 40 mm electromagnetic rail gun and mini-missile launcher. These weapons are scattered around the sides of the ship. At close range, these weapons concentrating can actually make an effective anti-destroyer array. Each point defense array has forty-eight mini-missiles ready to fire.
Embarked fighter compliment is relatively small, two squadrons of light fighters and two squadrons of medium fighters. Standard Kingdom fighters are the Avispa light and Torero medium starfighters. As stated previously, the Caramelles Kingdom lags behind especially poorly compared to the major governments. Because of the importance of these units, it has been a priority to replace these fighters with imported fighters. The Archduke Leone, Prince Daniel, and Princess Camille each have has two squadrons of Scorpion light fighters and two squadrons of Katana medium fighters. As far as the Archduchess Maria, the Kingdom recently purchased two squadrons of Ross ICE Hyena fighters and these have been embarked aboard her although the Katana fighters are retained. The four dreadnaughts not operated by the kingdom operate a completely different compliment. Fighter pilots aboard these flagships are generally the elite of the Kingdom's forces. These ships embark a marine compliment of around fifty marines with thirty in power armors.
The main power plant of the Archduchess Maria class is an anti-matter plant. Many minor powers still use civilian fusion plants which are much safer but produce far less power by mass. A fair number even use civilian fusion plants. While not up to the acceleration of the newest Consortium capital ships, the light dreadnought does have quite good acceleration, only slightly less than a Warshield class cruiser. Faster than light speed is four light years per hour. There is excellent tactical homogeneity as far as acceleration and faster than light speed between capital units of the Caramelles Kingdom's Navy.
Ship design uses modified starship speeds and weapon ranges. See Revised Starship Rules for Phase World for more details.
Model Type: Archduchess Maria light dreadnought
Vehicle Type: Light Battleship
Crew: 940 (120 Officers, 820 enlisted)
Troops: 50 marines (30 equipped with power armors) and 72 fighter pilots. Have extensive flag facilities with the ability to carry a flag crew of 120.
Vehicle, Robots, and Power Armors:
|30||Light Power Armors|
|24||Light Starfighters (SF-69 CAF Scorpion Star Interceptor or ICE Hyena Light Starfighter)|
|24||Medium Starfighters (BIF-67 Katana Starfighter)|
M.D.C. By Location:
|40 cm Heavy Electromagnetic Mass Driver (1):||2,000|
|28 cm Main Particle Beam Batteries (4):||1,200 each|
|12 cm Support Heavy Laser Cannons (20):||750 each|
|Electromagnetic Rail Cannons/Mini-Missile Batteries (16):||200 each|
|Triple Particle Beam Cannons/Mini-Missile Batteries (16):||200 each|
|Cruise Missile Batteries (2):||800 each|
|Long Range Missile Batteries (6):||600 each|
|Outer Hull (40 ft/ 12.2 m Area):||150|
|Inner Hull (40 ft/ 12.2 m Area):||100|
| Flag Bridge:||12,000|
|Hanger Bays (2):||8,000 each|
| Main Engines (4):||20,000 each|
| Main Body:||120,000|
| Variable Force Field:||10,000 a side (60,000 Total)|
 In reality this is how much damage needs to be done for a weapon to hit the bridge through the ship’s armor.
While these ships do not have a true auxiliary bridge, they do mount a flag bridge which can act as one. Even if both bridges are taken out, the ship can still be piloted from engineering but the ship is -3 to dodge and all weapon systems will be at local control. Weapon hits near the bridges that do not penetrate the ships integrity can injure crew members on or near the bridge.
 Destroying the main engines means that the ship F.T.L. systems are destroyed and maximum sublight speed is reduced by half.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body will put the cruiser out of commission. All internal systems will shut down, including life support and internal gravity. The ship itself will be an unsalvageable floating wreck.
 Shields positions can be varied and all could be combined in one shield. Shields regenerate at the rate of 5% (3,000 M.D.C.) per melee round.
Driving on the Ground: Not Possible.
Sublight: Has a special sublight engine and military shielding that allows the ship to travel up to 60 percent of the speed of light. Star Ship can accelerate/decelerate at the rate of 0.8 percent of light per melee.
Atmospheric Propulsion: Maximum speed is 200 mph (321.9 kph), can enter an atmosphere and can leave due to propulsion being Gravitic but is not designed primarily for atmospheric flight.
Stardrive: Uses a Gravitonic Drive system that allows the ship to reach a maximum of 4 light years per hour.
Maximum Range: Effectively Unlimited by either drive system. Carries about two years worth of supplies on board.
Length: 2,052.5 feet (625.60 meters)
Height: 865.6 feet (263.83 meters)
Width: 305.4 feet (93.09 meters)
Weight/Mass: 4.5 million tons (4.08 million metric tons)
Power System: Anti-Matter with a 30 year life span. The ship normally only goes 10 years between refueling and refitting.
Cargo: Cargo holds are scattered about the ship that allows for carrying up to 50,000 tons (45,360 metric tons) of cargo in addition to standard compliment of supplies and ammunition. Each enlisted crew member has a small locker for personal items and uniforms. ship’s officers have more space for personal items. Most of the ship’s spaces are taken up by extra ammunition, armor, troops, weapons, engine, and other equipment.
Market Cost: 10.4 billion credits to construct and sells for around 16 billion credits normally (Does not include standard fighter and power armor compliment - Caramelles Kingdom fighter compliment [Scorpion and Katana Fighters] cost approximately 2.75 billion and troop compliment 84 million.)
- One (1) 40 cm Super Heavy Mass Driver: The weapon system is considered fairly delicate and is protected by a hatch when not in use. Fires a huge projectile of several tons of mass through an electromagnetic mass driver although uses a small gravity drive to redirect projectile. Uses a radar system to target weapon system and is less accurate as a result (Has a -4 to strike beyond 10,000 miles / 16,100 km.) Still, this weapon can be devastating on a target when it hits.
- Four (4) 28 cm Main Particle Beam Mounts: Mounted on the front corners of the light dreadnought. These batteries are quite powerful and long ranged although not quite up to normal battleship class weaponry. Still, they are quite capable of devastating smaller targets. Batteries can all fire forward and up to 20 degrees of aft and can angle up or down up to forty five degrees. The weapon system cannot be used to engage targets while traveling at faster than light velocities.
- Twenty (20) 12 cm Heavy Laser Cannons: Laser cannons are used against frigates and against heavily reinforced targets. Ten are on each side in broadside arrays with two bays on each sides with five in each bay. Two are located on either side of ship. Weapon has standard minuses to hit fighters and small targets. The barrels can be can be rotated 180 degrees in all directions. All five in a bay can be fired as one volley. The weapon system cannot be used to engage targets while traveling at faster than light velocities.
- Two (2) Cruise Missile Batteries: Missile has a top speed of Mach 25 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 10% of light per turn (far faster than any starship.) Whether weapons can be shot down is calculated from the speed of target, launching starship, and missile. When drive goes dead, missile will continue to travel in a straight line unless preset to self destruct or receives a destruct code but has very low odds of hitting star ships (Great for hitting bases and planets because target does not move and missile when dead at -25% to detect.) See modified starship rules for more details - Cruise missiles have minuses to hit small targets but are all considered smart missiles. Batteries can launch on multiple targets each at the same time. Batteries have a lower number of actual launchers than the modern CAF long range missile batteries although the actual battery is slightly smaller.
- Six (6) Long Range Missile Batteries: Missile has a top speed of Mach 20 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 8% of light per turn (faster than any starship.) Whether weapons can be shot down is calculated from the speed of target, launcher, and missile. When drive goes dead, missile will continue to travel in a straight line unless set to self destruct but has very low odds of hitting star ships (Great for hitting bases and planets because target does not move and missile when dead at -25% to detect.) Long range missiles do not have minuses to hit small targets unlike cruise missiles and are all considered smart missiles. Batteries can launch on multiple targets each at the same time. Batteries have a lower number of actual launchers than the modern CAF long range missile batteries although the actual battery is slightly smaller.
- Sixteen (16) 40 mm Electromagnetic Rail Gun/Mini Missile Batteries: Unlike most of the rail guns used on Phase World Starships, these are standard electromagnetic rail guns. Comparatively heavy weapons, the rail guns fire a heavy 40 mm high density projectile and have excellent range. Each turret can rotate 360 and has a 180 arc of fire. Weapons are mounted around the ship for point defense. The rail gun still fires projectiles at incredible velocities compared to rail guns on Rifts Earth and projectiles are fired from the rail guns at a significant fraction of the speed of light. Missile has a top speed of Mach 10 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 2% of light per turn (slightly faster than any starship except if it is exceeding it maximum safe acceleration). Missile launchers can launch on multiple targets each at the same time.
- Sixteen (16) Triple Particle Beam/Mini Missile Batteries: These mounts are similar to the rail gun mounts with the rail gun replaced by a triple particle beam. While damage is similar, range is less that the rail gun mounts. Each turret can rotate 360 and has a 180 arc of fire. Weapons are mounted around the ship for point defense. Missile has a top speed of Mach 10 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 2% of light per turn (slightly faster than any starship except if it is exceeding it maximum safe acceleration). Missile launchers can launch on multiple targets each at the same time.
Because of the low maneuverability of the projectile, it has standard penalties to hit small targets such as fighters, power armors, and missiles. When projectile reaches maximum range, it is no longer guided but can be used effectively against unmoving targets in a similar manner to missiles (has same penalties with an addition -4 penalty.) With fixed targets such as moon bases and even planetary facilities, this weapon can be incredibly effective. The projectile is slower than light speed and cannot be used effectively when the starship is traveling at faster than the speeds of light.
Maximum Effective Range: 50,000 miles (80,470 km) in space. with range of 100 miles (160.9 km) in an atmosphere (Has a -4 to strike at ranges greater than 10,000 miles / 16,100 km.)
Mega Damage: 2D4x1000+2000 M.D.C. each (optional rule is that projectiles gets a critical on a natural 18, 19, or 20 due to its high penetration.)
Rate of Fire: Maximum of two per melee.
Payload: 40 projectiles total.
Maximum Effective Range: 70,000 miles (112,650 km)in space and 70 miles (112.7 km) in an atmosphere
Mega Damage: 1D4x1000 M.D.C. each Particle Beam. Two may be combined for 2D4x1000 M.D.C. or all four may combined for 4D4x1000.
Rate of Fire: Maximum of three (3) times per melee per particle beam.
Payload: Effectively Unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: 16 miles (25.8 km) through atmosphere and 16,000 miles (25,800 km) in space.
Mega Damage: 2D6x100 M.D.C. each or 1D6x1000 for a bay (Five lasers.)
Rate of Fire: Maximum of two (2) times per melee each laser cannon.
Payload: Effectively Unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: Cruise Missile range is 8,000 miles (12,875 km) in an atmosphere and 4,000,000 miles (6,437,376 km/ 21.5 light seconds) in space
Mega-Damage & Properties: See revised Phase World missile tables for details (Anti-Matter multi-warheads inflict 5D6x100 M.D.C. each.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), eight (8), sixteen (16), or twenty-four (24) missiles per battery, per melee round, for a maximum of 48 missiles per melee. Launchers are reloaded on the same melee and can be fired again on the next.
Payload: 48 total, 24 cruise missiles per battery. Ship has 12 reload of missiles (576 cruise missiles reloads total.)
Maximum Effective Range: Long Range Missile range is 3,400 miles (5,470 km) in an atmosphere and 1,800,000 miles (2,897,000 km/9.7 light seconds) in space.
Mega-Damage & Properties: See revised Phase World missile tables for details (Fusion warheads inflict 2D4x100 M.D.C. each.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), eight (8), sixteen (16), or twenty-four (24) missiles per battery, per melee attack.
Payload: 1,440 total, 240 long range missiles per battery.
Maximum Effective Range Mini-Missile range is 2 miles (3.2 km) in an atmosphere and 100 miles (161 km) in space. Rail guns have a range of 12 miles (19.3 km) through atmosphere and 1,200 miles (1,930 km) in space.
Mega-Damage: Rail Cannon inflicts 3D6x10+30 M.D. for a 10 round burst. Mini-Missiles vary by mini-missile type (See revised Phase World missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined hand to hand attacks of the gunner (usually 4 or 5). Mini-Missiles are fired one at a time or in volleys of two (2) or four (4) mini-missiles.
Payload: Rail Cannon has 2,000 Rounds (200 Bursts) each cannon, has 48 mini-missiles at each launcher (768 total, can carry potentially several times more in storage holds).
Maximum Effective Range Mini-Missile range is 2 miles (3.2 km) in an atmosphere and 100 miles (161 km) in space. Particle beams have a range of 8 miles (13 km) through atmosphere and 400 miles (640 km) in space.
Mega-Damage: Triple particle beam inflicts 3D6x10 M.D. per burst. Mini-Missiles vary by mini-missile type (See revised Phase World missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined hand to hand attacks of the gunner (usually 4 or 5). Mini-Missiles are fired one at a time or in volleys of two (2) or four (4) mini-missiles.
Payload: Effective unlimited for the particle beam mounts, has 48 mini-missiles at each launcher (768 total, can carry potentially several times more in storage holds.)
[ Brodkil TM, Bushido Industries TM, CAF TM, Catyr TM, CCW TM, Consortium of Civilized Worlds TM, Free Worlds Council TM, Gene Splicers TM, K-Hex TM, Kittani TM, Kreeghor TM, Machine People TM, M.D.C. TM, Mega-Damage TM, M’Kri Hardware TM, Monro TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, Noro TM, Paradise Federation TM, Phase World TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Seljuks TM, Splugorth TM, Trans-Galactic Empire TM, Tri-Galactic Military Service TM, United Worlds Warlock TM, U.W.W. TM, Wolfen TM, and Zembahk TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Image drawn and copyrighted by "Orpheus7".
More "Orpheus7" artwork at DeviantArt
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2011, Kitsune. All rights reserved.