Hypatia Cruiser (Modified Boadicea class Cruiser - Bio-Armor):
The Boadicea class cruiser was once one of the most advanced classes of cruisers within the Three Galaxies and the ships were the backbone of the Human Alliance Navy. Cruisers could deal with situations that destroyers simply could not but were built in much larger numbers than the much larger battleships. Eventually the cruisers were replaced by more powerful classes such as the Kurganov class missile cruiser. By the time the Human Alliance became part of the Consortium, all Boadicea class cruisers had been retired. Even so, the Warshield class cruiser in many ways in similar in its general design.
Many Boadicea class cruiser were sold, some to other navies while others were disarmed and scrapped. The Hypathia was sold to a small system defense force far outside of Human Alliance space where she served under a variety of different names usually named after the current ruler. The planet was quite volatile and she through multiple changes of governments and the old cruiser was involved in several changes of power. As time went on, the years began to show and she was only maintained spottily. Eventually she was all but abandoned and further stripped. Eventually it was decide that she would be sold for scrap. It had been several decades since she had been powered up.
Still, it is a relatively simple operation to jump a ship to Phase World itself through one of the gates. No power is required and one moment the ship is the origin system and moments later is at one of the jump gates. Even though heavily stripped, the ship was still worth quite a bit as scrap. It would have only have been days until she was have started to be cut off but luck had it that a retired Human Alliance captain saw the old cruiser. He immediately noted that at least her hull was in extremely good shape.
The captain had been at Phase World to shop for a destroyer to operate as a mercenary. Somehow he had been able to get a loan for the cost of the destroyer. He, and most of his crew, had been released from service after a downsizing. The captain had come up with the idea that they would set themselves up as mercenaries mostly specializing in escorting convoys through troubled space. He thought that there was no way to afford a cruiser so this was potentially incredible.
He made arrangements to inspect the cruiser. She was in far rougher shape than he had hoped but he still saw potential in the old ship and decided to buy her at just above her scrap value. The next six months were spend restoring her and the captain's original crew trickled into Phase World to form her core crew. Some systems, such as the faster than light drives, were close to hopeless and had to be replaced completely. The fusion plant also had to be completely replaced. Whenever possible, civilian systems were used to keep costs down although in most cases the replacement systems were still smaller and higher output than the original systems. Others, such as the main energy batteries, were comparatively easy to restore. An effort was made to automate the shuip to reduce the crew compliment as much as possible.
Six months simply was not long enough to restore completely but the crew were able to get the ship working well enough to begin hiring her out. Even though old, most pirates do not like tangling with cruisers. In a couple of cases the Hypathia was able to capture pirate ships intact. The bounty for the pirate combined with the value of the pirate vessels were able to go a long way towards being able to restore and even upgrade her in many cases. The crew had agreed that initial gains would go towards paying off the loans on the ship and to rebuild her. The variable force fields were upgraded along with sensor systems and much of the lighter point defense weaponry and the heavy missile battery. The heavy energy battery as well as the original electromagnetic point defense rail guns were retained. The ship is almost the equal of a Warshield class although her missile payload is much smaller. Her fighters were upgraded at the same time although Osprey class fighters were retained. The ship served with the Tri-Galactic Military Service on several occasions and a good percentage of the upgrades came from their yards.
The captain's daughter acted as his executive officer. This usually does not work but in this case it worked extremely well. In many ways the crew was more like a family than anything else. Many members of the original crew were bringing their own children up as crew of the old cruiser. Eventually the captain decide that it was time for him to retire. He put it up for a vote to decide who would become captain of the cruiser after him. It was virtually unanimous that his daughter would take command. At the same time as the captain retired, many members of her original crew began retiring. A handful had already retired even before their captain had. Over the next few years just about all of the remaining original hands retired. Only a handful remain including the chief engineer who refuses to retire.
Most recently, the Hypathia came to the rescue of a group of merchant ships of a strange alien race. Their own escorts had been slaughtered. This race are masters of adapting biological armor materials. In return for rescuing them, the Hypathia had her hull replaced by the bio-armor materials. Only a handful of others ships had this bio-material replace their hull and this gives the ship the ability to withstand far more damage. It also has the ability to adapt to attacks and even regenerate damage. This bio-armor greatly changes the appearance of the old cruiser. It is a dull black and the hull appears to be covered in spikes and other projections. The fighters received a similar treatment. What is just a bit disturbing is that one of the few other ships to have been upgraded in this manner is rumored to be a pirate vessel.
Ship design uses modified starship speeds and weapon ranges. See Revised Starship Rules for Phase World for more details.
Model Type: Modified CL-06
Vehicle Type: Cruiser (Conventional / Bio-technology)
Crew: 298 (24 Officers, 274 enlisted)
Troops: 40 marines ( typically stay on board for ship defense), 24 fighter pilots, and 24 power armor pilots.
Vehicle, Robots, and Power Armors:
|24||Light Power Armors|
|12||Modified SF-6 Osprey Medium Starfighters|
M.D.C. By Location:
|Main 28 cm Particle Beam Batteries (2):||1,200 each|
|Secondary 12 cm Heavy Laser Cannons (4):||600 each|
|Point Defense Rail Gun Turrets (6):||150 each|
|Variable Focus Particle Beam Cannon Turrets (8):||150 each|
|Cruise Missile Batteries (2):||1,000 each|
|Long Range Missile Batteries (4):||600 each|
|Mini-Missile Launchers (6):||100 each|
|Outer Hull (40 ft/ 12.2 m Area):||200|
|Inner Hull (40 ft/ 12.2 m Area):||80|
| Auxiliary Bridge:||9,200|
| Main Engines (2):||7,500 each|
| Main Body:||38,800|
| Variable Force Field:||4,000 a side (24,000 Total)|
 In reality this is how much damage needs to be done for a weapon to hit the bridge through the ship’s armor. This ship also has an auxiliary bridge. Even if both bridges are taken out, the ship can still be piloted from engineering but ship is -3 to dodge and all weapon systems will be at local control. Weapon hits near the bridge that do not penetrate the ships integrity can injure crew members on or near the bridge.
 Destroying the main engines means that the ship’s faster than light systems are destroyed and maximum sublight speed is reduced by half.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body will put the cruiser out of commission. All internal systems will shut down, including life support and internal gravity. The ship itself will be an unsalvageable floating wreck.
The hull armor (and systems protected by the hull including the ship’s bridges and the hangers - weapon systems are not protected) has the ability to repair itself. The ships hull and ships systems regenerate damage at the rate of 1D4x100 M.D.C. per minute. The ship can only repair up to half the total M.D.C. of the main body without needing additional resources.
 Shields positions can be varied and all could be combined in one shield. Shields regenerate at the rate of 5% (1,200 M.D.C.) per melee round.
Driving on the Ground: Not Possible.
Sublight: Has a special sublight engine that allows the ship to travel up to 60 percent of the speed of light. Star Ship can accelerate/decelerate at the rate of 0.8 percent of light per melee.
Atmospheric Propulsion: Maximum speed is 300 mph (480 kph), can enter an atmosphere and can leave but is not designed for atmospheric flight
Stardrive: Uses a Gravitonic Drive system that allows the ship to reach a maximum of 4.5 light years per hour.
Maximum Range: Effectively Unlimited by either Drive system. Carries about four years worth of supplies on board.
Length: 588 feet (179.2 meters) for hull. Spikes / thorns add an additional 30 feet (9.1 meters) to the length of the ship
Height: 148 feet (45.1 meters) for hull. Spikes / thorns add an additional 30 feet (9.1 meters) to the width of the ship
Width: 246 feet (75.0 meters) for hull. Spikes / thorns add an additional 30 feet (9.1 meters) to the width of the ship
Weight/Mass: 128,000 tons (116,100 metric tons)
Power System: Advanced Fusion with a 20 year life span. The ship normally only goes 5 years between refueling and refitting.
Cargo: Cargo holds are scattered about the ship that allows for carrying up to 2,500 tons (2,270 metric tons) of cargo in addition to standard compliment of supplies and ammunition. Each enlisted crew member has a small locker for personal items and uniforms. ship’s officers have more space for personal items. Most of the ship’s spaces are take up by extra ammunition, armor, troops, weapons, engine, and other equipment.
Market Cost: Unmodified Boadicea class cruiser would cost about 1.2 billion credits to manufacture in present time in the Three Galaxies. Ships are no longer being produced. When available, these ships sell for 2.0 to 3.5 billion credits. Without bio-armor, the Hypathia would like cost around 5.0 to 6.0 billion credits. With bio-armor, the ship is virtually priceless and the crew / captain will not sell the vessel.
- Two (2) Main 28 cm Particle Beam Batteries: Original weapon system, in the front of the ship are two 28 cm particle beam cannons. Weapon has standard minuses to hit fighters and small targets. These can be fired forward and can be angled up to 120 degrees aft (can only fire one cannon at a target at that angle but can spin to be able to bring both batteries to bear) and can fire at a 30 degree angle up or down. The weapon system cannot be used to engage targets while traveling at faster than light velocities.
- Four (4) 12 cm Heavy Laser Cannons: Original weapon system, laser cannons are used against frigates and as against heavily reinforced targets. Two are located on either side of ship. Weapon has standard minuses to hit fighters and small targets. The barrels can be can be rotated 180 degrees in all directions. Only two cannons can be fired as one volley. The weapon system cannot be used to engage targets while traveling at faster than light velocities.
- Six (6) Point Defense Rail Guns: Unlike most of the rail guns used on Phase World Starships, these are standard electromagnetic rail guns. These weapons are retained from the original design. They are used as an anti-Starfighter and missile weapon and against targets that are impervious to energy. Each Rail Gun is in a turret that can rotate 360 and has a 180 arc of fire. Projectiles are fired from rail guns at a significant fraction of the speed of light. The weapon system cannot be used to engage targets while traveling at faster than light velocities. Cannon uses 15 mm depleted uranium projectiles.
- Eight (8) Particle Beam Mounts: Replacing the original point defense laser mounts, these particle beams are copied from those carried on the CAF Assault Shuttle and will fire a very powerful narrow beam and can fire a scatter effect that is less powerful but is capable of striking multiple targets. The weapon system is quite useful against missiles although the cone is not as wide as Tachyon cannon sprays are. Weapons are mounted in turrets that can rotate 360 and have a 180 arc of fire. Each mount can be operated by a gunner or a gunner program (+2 to strike, 3 Attacks per melee).
- Two (2) Cruise Missile Batteries: These replace the original cruise missile batteries. Missile has a top speed of Mach 25 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 10% of light per turn (far faster than any starship.) Whether weapons can be shot down is calculated from the speed of target, launching starship, and missile. When drive goes dead, missile will continue to travel in a straight line unless preset to self destruct or receives a destruct code but has very low odds of hitting star ships (Great for hitting bases and planets because target does not move and missile when dead at -25% to detect.) See modified starship rules for more details - Cruise missiles have minuses to hit small targets but are all considered smart missiles. These batteries are standard CAF batteries. Batteries can launch on multiple targets each at the same time.
- Four (4) Long Range Missile Batteries: These replace the original long range missile batteries. Missile has a top speed of Mach 20 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 8% of light per turn (faster than any starship.) Whether weapons can be shot down is calculated from the speed of target, battery, and missile. When drive goes dead, missile will continue to travel in a straight line unless set to self destruct but has very low odds of hitting star ships (Great for hitting bases and planets because target does not move and missile when dead at -25% to detect.) Long range missiles do not have minuses to hit small targets unlike cruise missiles and are all considered smart missiles. Batteries can launch on multiple targets each at the same time.
- Six (6) Mini-Missile Launchers: Retained from the original design, these are missile turrets used for point defense against enemy fighters and missiles. Missile has a top speed of Mach 10 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 2% of light per turn (slightly faster than any starship except if it is exceeding it maximum safe acceleration). Batteries can launch on multiple targets each at the same time.
Maximum Effective Range: 70,000 miles (112,650 km)in space and 70 miles (112.7 km) in an atmosphere.
Mega Damage: 1D4x1000 M.D.C. each (Both can be linked for 2D4x1000 M.D.C. for both)
Rate of Fire: Maximum of three (3) times per melee per particle beam.
Payload: Effectively Unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: 16 miles (25.8 km) through atmosphere and 16,000 miles (25,800 km) in space.
Mega Damage: 2D6x100 M.D.C. each or 4D6x100 for two.
Rate of Fire: Maximum of two (2) times per melee each laser cannon.
Payload: Effectively Unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: 16 miles (26 km) through atmosphere and 800 miles (1,290 km) in space.
Mega-Damage: Rail gun inflicts 3D6x10 M.D.C. for an 80 round burst.
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined hand to hand attacks of the gunner (usually 4 or 5).
Payload: 16,000 Rounds (200 Bursts) each cannon.
Maximum Effective Range: 300 miles (480 km) in space and 3 miles (4.8 km) in an atmosphere.
Mega Damage: Single Target: 4D6x10 per blast. Wide Beam: 5D6 to all targets within a 5,000 foot (1,524 meter) diameter area. When fired as a wide beam, the cannon cannot be used on targets closer than 5,000 feet (1,524 meters) away.
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined hand to hand attacks of the gunner (usually 4 or 5).
Payload: Effectively Unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: Cruise Missile range is 8,000 miles (12,875 km) in an atmosphere and 4,000,000 miles (6,437,376 km/ 21.5 light seconds) in space
Mega-Damage & Properties: See revised Phase World missile tables for more information (Anti-Matter multi-warheads inflict 5D6x100 M.D.C. each.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), eight (8), sixteen (16), or thirty-two (32) missiles per battery, per melee round, for a maximum of 64 missiles per melee. Batteries are reloaded on the same melee and can be fired again on the next.
Payload: 64 total, 32 cruise missiles per battery. Ship has 6 reload of missiles (384 cruise missiles reloads total.)
Maximum Effective Range: Long Range Missile range is 3,400 miles (5,470 km) in an atmosphere and 1,800,000 miles (2,897,000 km/9.7 light seconds) in space.
Mega-Damage & Properties: See revised Phase World missile tables for more information (Fusion warheads inflict 2D4x100 M.D.C. each.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), eight (8), sixteen (16), or thirty-two (32) missiles per battery, per melee attack.
Payload: 960 total, 240 long range missiles per battery.
Maximum Effective Range: Mini-Missile range is 2 miles (3.2 km) in an atmosphere and 100 miles (161 km) in space.
Mega-Damage: Varies with mini-missile type (See revised Phase World missile tables for more information.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of four (4) or eight (8) missiles.
Payload: 128 per launcher for a total of 768 mini-missiles. Cargo hold has an additional 3072 mini-missile. Reloading launchers from cargo hold takes 1D6 minutes.
- Adaptive Hull: The Cruiser has the ability to adapt to any non magical attacks on it. Once a specific attack has been used against the ship, it will adapt to that attack and any attack of that type that is encountered afterwards will only be at half effect in the next engagement. Magical attacks will continue to inflict full damage. Variable frequency weapons such as variable frequency lasers can be reset to do full damage once this is discovered. The adaption takes about five days to be completed.
[ Brodkil TM, Bushido Industries TM, CAF TM, Catyr TM, CCW TM, Consortium of Civilized Worlds TM, Free Worlds Council TM, Gene Splicers TM, K-Hex TM, Kittani TM, Kreeghor TM, Machine People TM, M.D.C. TM, Mega-Damage TM, M’Kri Hardware TM, Monro TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, Noro TM, Paradise Federation TM, Phase World TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Seljuks TM, Splugorth TM, Trans-Galactic Empire TM, Tri-Galactic Military Service TM, United Worlds Warlock TM, U.W.W. TM, Wolfen TM, and Zembahk TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Image drawn and copyrighted by "MK01".
More "MK01" artwork at DeviantArt
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2010 & 2012, Kitsune. All rights reserved.