New Coventry Cutty Sark class Fast Freighter:
New Coventry builds two basic classes of light carriers, the Invincible light fleet carrier and the Sir Percival class light assault carrier. Part of the "excuse" for designing the carriers was that the design could be marketed as a merchant vessel. Basically, it is around the size of most medium freighter designs. Unfortunately, there have been no sales of the freighter. Two of these hulls were laid down as merchant vessels and the New Coventry navy ended up purchasing these ships themselves. The New Coventry navy has bought a handful of these vessels total which they operate in support roles. Carrier versions of the hull have sold to several independent defense forces and the shipyard has not been able to keep up with orders.
There are several reasons why this ship has not sold as a freighter. The most obvious reason is that the vessel is rather expensive at right around two billion credits for the purely civilian version. Versions designed for military service such as those that the New Coventry navy operate are even more expensive. The ship also is costly to operate and requires a large crew. A Cargo Master requires a crew of only around half that of the Cutty Sark. Finally, the Cutty Sark has a slightly smaller cargo capacity than most ships of its size due to being constructed more to military not civilian standards.
There are concessions to being a civilian designs with the power plant being a fusion plant while the carrier versions of the hull use anti-matter plants. While the hull is much heavier than most civilian designs, the armor carried on the light carrier versions are lacking. No "civilian" versions of this vessel have been built but a non-variable force field was planned for them. The military versions of the Cutty Sark do mount variable force fields although they are about a third weaker than those mounted on the carrier version of the hull.
One reason why it was thought that some would be interested in the vessel even for civilian roles is that it is extremely fast allowing it to escape from most pirates. As "fleet train" vessels, they can keep up with the main battle fleet. It is one of the fastest merchant designs in the Three Galaxies. This is because the carrier's propulsion plant is retained. Top speed when traveling at faster than light speeds is five light years per hour and the freighter can accelerate almost as quickly as a Warshield class cruiser. Civilian versions would have carried only minimal radiation and particle shielding, limiting speeds to less than twenty percent of the speed of light. Military versions retain the carrier's military class particle and radiation shielding and can accelerate up to sixty percent of the speed of light.
New Coventry would have built these ships with no weaponry if a customer requested although the plan was for these ships to be lightly armed. The weaponry planned for civilian versions were four GR-1000 gravity rail gun mounts, four particle beam mounts, and four medium range missile batteries. Each of these is half the number carried by the Invincible class light carrier. The Cutty Sark class freighter which the New Coventry Navy operate add four tachyon scattergun mounts and two long range missile batteries. Long range missile payload is reduced compared to the light fleet carrier version. No versions of the Cutty Sark retain the heavy lasers or cruise missile batteries. The navy version do mount military class sensors.
This starship design uses modified starship speed and ranges. See Revised Starship Rules for Phase World for more details.
Model Type: FCC-8A
Vehicle Type: Medium Fast Freighter
Crew: 120 (10 Officers and 110 Ordinary Crew), Can carry 30 passengers.
|M.D.C. By Location:||Civilian:||Military:|
|GR-1000 Rail Gun Turrets (4):||250 each||250 each|
|Point Defense Particle Beam Turrets (4):||200 each||200 each|
|Tachyon Scatter Beams (4):||None||200 each|
|Long Range Missile Batteries (2):||None||800 each|
|Medium Range Missile Batteries (8):||500 each||500 each|
|Outer Hull (40 x 40 ft/ 12.2 m x 12.2 Area):||150||150|
|Inner Hull (40 x 20 ft/ 12.2 m x 12.2 Area):||100||100|
| Main Engines (2):||8,000 each||8,000 each|
| Main Body:||40,000||40,000|
| Force Field:||5,000 (Regular)||4,000 side (24,000 total)|
 In reality this is how much damage needs to be done for a weapon to hit the bridge through the ship’s hull. This ship does not have an auxiliary bridge. Even if the bridge is destroyed, the ship can still be piloted from engineering but ship is -3 to dodge and all weapon systems will be at local control. Weapon hits near the bridge that do not penetrate the ships integrity can injure crew members on or near the bridge.
 Destroying the main engines means that the ship’s faster than light systems are destroyed and maximum sublight speed is reduced by half.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body will put the liner out of commission. All internal systems will shut down, including life support and internal gravity. The ship itself will be an unsalvageable floating wreck.
 Standard ship shields are not variable regenerate at the rate of 5% (250 M.D.C.) per melee. Military versions carry variable shields (all could be combined in one shield) and shields regenerate at the rate of 5% (1,200 M.D.C.) per melee round.
Driving on the Ground: Not Possible.
Sublight: Civilian Versions: Has a special sublight engine that allows the ship to travel up to 20 percent of the speed of light maximum due to civilian shields. Military Versions: Mount military class shields and can reach 60 percent of the speed of light.
Both versions of the star ship can accelerate/decelerate at the rate of 0.8 percent of light per melee.
Atmospheric Propulsion: Maximum speed is 250 mph (402 kph), can enter an atmosphere and can leave but is not designed for atmospheric flight
Stardrive: Uses a Gravitonic Drive system that allows the ship to reach a maximum of 5.0 light years per hour.
Maximum Range: Effectively Unlimited by either Drive system. Carries about six month worth of supplies on board for the small crew but normally does not operate for that long without resupply. Can be stretched to nine months in emergency.
Length: 1,250 feet (381 meters)
Height: 600 feet (57.1 meters)
Width: 400 feet (141.7 meters)
Weight/Mass: 435,000 tons (394,600 metric tons)
Power System: Advanced Fusion with a 20 year life span. The ship normally only goes 5 years between refueling and refitting.
Cargo: Can carry up to 280,000 tons ( 254,000 metric tons) of cargo in addition to crew’s supplies. Each enlisted crew member has a small locker for personal items and uniforms. ship’s officers have more space for personal items.
Market Cost: 2.5 billion credits for military versions of this vessel (All completed vessels have been military versions.) Standard civilian versions would cost around 2.0 billion credits and unarmed versions would cost around 1.6 billion credits.
- Four (4) GR-1000 Heavy Point Defense Rail Guns: The GR-1000 Rail Guns both are more powerful and have more range than the conventional rail guns. This greatly increases their effectiveness. Even so, the mounts are not really for use against capital ships but can devastate a fighter quickly. The mounts are still useful against incoming missiles and against opponents who are impervious to energy. Each Gravity Rail Gun is in a turret that can rotate 360 and has a 180 arc of fire. Projectiles are fired from rail guns at a significant fraction of the speed of light. The weapon system cannot be used to engage targets while traveling at faster than light velocities. The gravity rail guns use a 30 mm projectile.
- Four (4) 25 mm Point Defense Particle Beams: They are used for anti-missile, anti-power armor, and anti-starfighter. The weapon system cannot be used to engage targets while traveling at faster than light velocities.
- Four (4) Point Defense Tachyon Scatter Beams: Carried on military versions of the vessel. The main purpose of this system is as an anti-missile point defense. They do this by firing a wide blast that affects all targets in a cone that can destroy whole volleys of missiles before the strike the ship (Roll once against a volley and unless the missiles roll to dodge greater than strike roll, they are all destroyed.) The stream lasts for significant fraction of a second and missiles tend to run into the stream (Gives +4 bonus vs fast moving targets such as missiles.) This system has an interesting property that the system can actually be used at faster than light velocities because Tachyons travel faster than the speed of light. Each Tachyon Scatter Gun is in a turret that can rotate 360 and has a 180 arc of fire.
- Two (2) Long Range Missile Batteries: Carried on military versions of the vessel. Missile has a top speed of Mach 20 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 8% of light per turn (faster than any starship.) Whether weapons can be shot down is calculated from the speed of target, battery, and missile. When drive goes dead, missile will continue to travel in a straight line unless set to self destruct but has very low odds of hitting star ships (Great for hitting bases and planets because target does not move and missile when dead at -25% to detect.) Long range missiles do not have minuses to hit small targets unlike cruise missiles and are all considered smart missiles. This battery is copy of the CAF batteries. Batteries can launch on multiple targets each at the same time.
- Four (4) Medium Range Missile Batteries: Missile has a top speed of Mach 15 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 6% of light per turn. Normally used for anti-fighter and point defense. Batteries can launch on multiple targets each at the same time.
Maximum Effective Range: 16 miles (26 km) through atmosphere and 1,600 miles (2,575 km) in space.
Mega-Damage: Rail gun inflicts 4D6x10 M.D.C. for a 40 round burst.
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined hand to hand attacks of the gunner (usually 4 or 5).
Payload: 10,000 Rounds (250 Bursts) each cannon.
Maximum Effective Range: 600 miles (960 km) in space and range is 6 miles (9.6 km) in atmosphere.
Mega Damage: 3D6x10 M.D.C. each.
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined hand to hand attacks of the gunner (usually 4 or 5).
Payload: Effectively Unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: 99.4 miles (160 km) with a width of 12.4 miles (20 km), range and width is one sixteenth in an atmosphere.
Mega Damage: 2D4x10 M.D.C. each.
Rate of Fire: Maximum of four (4) times per melee each.
Payload: Effectively Unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: Long Range Missile range is 3,400 miles (5,470 km) in an atmosphere and 1,800,000 miles (2,897,000 km/9.7 light seconds) in space.
Mega-Damage & Properties: See revised Phase World missile tables for details (Fusion warheads inflict 2D4x100 M.D.C. each.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), eight (8), sixteen (16), or thirty-two (32) missiles per battery, per melee attack, for a maximum of 64 missiles per attack.
Payload: 320 total, 160 long range missiles per battery.
Maximum Effective Range: Medium Range Missile range is 160 miles (257.5 km) in an atmosphere and 80,000 miles (128,750 km/0.43 light seconds) in space.
Mega-Damage: Varies with medium range missile type (See revised Phase World missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), eight (8), or sixteen (16) missiles per battery.
Payload: 160 per battery for a total of 640 medium range missiles.
[ Brodkil TM, Bushido Industries TM, CAF TM, Catyr TM, CCW TM, Consortium of Civilized Worlds TM, Free Worlds Council TM, Gene Splicers TM, K-Hex TM, Kittani TM, Kreeghor TM, Machine People TM, M.D.C. TM, Mega-Damage TM, M’Kri Hardware TM, Monro TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, Noro TM, Paradise Federation TM, Phase World TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Seljuks TM, Splugorth TM, Trans-Galactic Empire TM, Tri-Galactic Military Service TM, United Worlds Warlock TM, U.W.W. TM, Wolfen TM, and Zembahk TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Image is taken from the video game Mobius Link.
Mobius Link, and all Images taken from it, are copyrighted by I.MAGIC.
Information about I.MAGIC and their games and other articles can be found at I.MAGIC COSMOS, the I.MAGIC homepage.
Despite numerous attempts to contact I.MAGIC, we could not get a answer. Should I.MAGIC, or any other copyright holder, feel that this is unfair use of their property, please mail E-Mail Kitsune. The picture and all references to it will then be removed from this page. Please note that this is a non-profit page, and that no money is made of it. This is merely a hobby for us, and we do not want to slighten I.MAGIC, nor anyone else who might hold the copyright to this picture.
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2010, Kitsune. All rights reserved.