PA-GAMV2 Phoenix Armory Mastiff Armored Missile Vehicle (Grav):
Phoenix Armory came from the ruins of what had once been one of the giants of the military complex. Generally weapon companies are quite profitable but the company had a bad run as far as contracts and a number of bad decisions by company executives would seem to have sealed the doom of the company. The engineers in the end managed to save the company. There were a number of massive changes made and Phoenix Armory was born from the ashes. They had refocused on tanks, power armors, and small arms. They avoided starships and fighters.
For a number of years, the company did respectably if not outstanding. This changed when they received a number of huge contracts from the Human Alliance Military to produce a number of grav tank designs. These include the Slammer and Sniper main battle tanks and the Boxer armored personnel carrier. With the interest by the Human Alliance, several other clients started becoming interested in their designs as well.
Noting that the Human Alliance might need a replacement for their missile vehicle, the company also decided to develop a replacement for that design. Based on the Boxer armored personnel carrier, this became known as the Mastiff. Unfortunately, the Human Alliance does not have an unlimited budget and it was decided that replacing the present missile vehicle was not necessary at the present time. As a result, they decide not to adopt the Mastiff design.
This does not mean that the Mastiff will not sell in the future and the company is eagerly looking for other potential customers. There are several customers who have shown interest in the design. It is a much more advanced design, far faster than the wheeled design is was developed to replace and has far better self defense systems as well. One problem the company has been finding with sealing contracts is that many customers are being put off because it is projected to be twice as expensive as the old Human Alliance Sentry design.
Some potential clients have noted the fact that the Mastiff is slightly slower than the Boxer in flight. This is an unavoidable consequence of the additional mass of the box launcher without upgrading the propulsion system. The company has called in marginal and does not effect surface speed which is more an aspect of control than actual maximum speed. Even so, it is far better at being able to fire and scoot than the old Sentry. While being in the air often makes grav tank designs extremely vulnerable, it does allow them to move far faster than any ground vehicle.
The design is slightly better armored than the Boxer armored personnel carrier and also mounts the same variable force field. The Mastiff can withstand quite a bit of abuse as a result. It still can only take a fraction of the damage of a true tank and crews are far better to avoid combat than to engage the enemy directly. The Mastiff retains the stealth systems of the Boxer to help avoid direct engagements. Designed for a crew of three, the crew compartment is not armored any better than the standard Boxer design. The missile launcher completely replaces the troop compartment on the Boxer. The missile launcher also makes the vehicle a bit taller than the Boxer.
Like most similar designs, the heart of the design is its sensor systems. These sensor systems were developed from star fighter sensor systems. It has both radar and gravity based sensor systems just like the Sentry. These are more advanced systems than those on the older Human Alliance design and have slightly better range. More important, the Mastiff adds a TADAR or Tachyon "Radar" system. Shorter ranged but not limited by the speed of light like the conventional radar system. It also has the advantage that it is extremely effective against stealth fields and extremely hard to jam. It is unknown if this will be offered on all versions. These systems were not developed by Phoenix Armory but were instead contracted out to an aerospace company. The Mastiff can share fire control data between them and can accept ground targeting from other vehicles.
Like the design which the Mastiff was developed to replace, the vehicle was designed in two versions. One is armed with medium range missiles while the other is designed around long range missiles. The medium range missile version carries thirty-two medium range missiles and the long range missile version carries sixteen long range missiles. In service, it is likely that the two designs will be mixed together with the medium range missile versions designed to offer protection. When operating on a planet with a fairly thick atmosphere, the range of missiles is reduced by breaking through but on airless bodies such a moon, the missiles have an incredible range.
Self defense systems are far better than on the Sentry. Instead of just a single light laser, the Mastiff mounts three laser mounts. Each one is controlled by a powerful although limited artificial intelligence. One is designed to protect the vehicle from the underside while the other two protect it from the top. Compared to the Boxer, one mount was eliminated. While the Mini-Missile launchers carried on the Boxer were also removed, the short range missile launchers on the sides were retained. There are a total of sixteen short range missiles carried for self defense purposes.
This Missile Vehicle uses modified starship rules for its weaponry and engines. See Revised Starship Rules for Phase World for more details.
(Note: The power system is fusion not anti-matter because the author's opinion is that anti-matter is to dangerous to be used in vehicles that may be used in an atmosphere. If a craft powered by anti-matter was to detonate in an atmosphere it would cause huge planetary damage. At GM option, this can also be applied to all vehicles or this Missile Vehicle can be changed to anti-matter.)
|Model Type:||PA-GAMV2-MM||Medium Range Missile Version|
|PA-GAMV2-LM||Long Range Missile Version|
Crew: Three, one driver, one commander, one gunner.
M.D.C. By Location:
|Point Defense Lasers (3, main body):||50 each|
|Missile Box Launcher (rear):||225|
|Medium Range Missile launchers (8, sides):||60 each|
| Sensor Array:||100|
| Main Body:||425|
| Variable Force Field:||200 per side (1,200 total)|
 Loss of sensor array destroys all long range tracking and targeting capabilities.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body will put the AMV out of commission. All internal systems will shut down, including life support and internal gravity. The A.M.V. itself will be an unsalvageable wreck.
 Shields positions can be varied and all could be combined in one shield. Shields regenerate at the rate of 5% (60 M.D.C.) per melee round.
Driving on the Ground: 300 mph (480 kph) maximum. The AMV can make sharp turns and float over any obstacle. note: The maximum top speed can be actually higher than this, but that is under ideal conditions, like straight roads and flat terrain.
Atmospheric Propulsion: Maximum cruise speed is Mach 1.25 (926.8 mph / 1,491.6 kph), can enter and leave an atmosphere because flight system is by contra grav. Above Mach 0.85 the tank is -2 to dodge and -1 to initiative though.
Underwater: The Mastiff can use its thrusters to travel up to a maximum speed of 80 mph (128.7 km).
Maximum Ocean Depth: 2 mile (3.2 km)
Maximum Range: Effectively Unlimited by drive system but only has supplies for crew for two weeks.
Length: 47.4 feet (14.2 meters)
Height: 14.2 feet (4.33 meters)from bottom to top of box launcher, 15.4 feet (4.69 meters) with bottom point defense laser extended. The bottom laser can be retracted.
Width: 13 feet (3.9 meters)
Weight: 38.5 tons (34.93 metric tons)
Power System: Advanced Fusion with 20 year life span.
Cargo: Utility closet (4 x 3 x 3 feet / 1.2 x .9 x .9 m) for personal effects.
Market Cost: Expected to sell for 85 million credits each (Reduce cost to 80 million without Tadar.) Double that on the Black Market. No knock-offs are produced at this time with the vehicle currently being evaluated by several independent forces including the Tri-galactic Military Services mercenary group.
Note: Space ranges are given for when the AMV is used on airless moons and other similar locations.
- Three (3) Point Defense Pulse Laser cannons: These pulse lasers are meant for point defense and anti-personnel use, and are usually set for automatic fire. The lasers are mounted in spherical turrets, with the barrel hardly protruding from the casing. Two are mounted on top of the rear corners of the AMV, giving them a truly excellent field of fire. The last turret is located on the underside of the hull, and can be retracted for landing. The guns on the rear, and the retractable turret on the bottom of the AMV are very useful in providing covering fire for the troops as they disembark.
- One (1) Box Missile Launcher: Mounted on the rear of the vehicle where the troop compartment is in the Boxer armored personnel carrier and is raised to be fired. The box launcher contains either sixteen long range missiles or thirty two medium range missiles. Box launcher can rotate 360 degrees and can angle up to sixty. Even so, the missiles can target against targets ninety degrees above the vehicle.
- Long Range Missiles: The box launcher is fitted to fire long range missiles. Missile has a top speed of Mach 20 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 8% of light per turn (faster than any starship.) Whether weapons can be shot down is calculated from the speed of target, launcher, and missile. When drive goes dead, missile will continue to travel in a straight line unless set to self destruct but has very low odds of hitting star ships (Great for hitting bases and planets because target does not move and missile when dead at -25% to detect.) Long range missiles do not have minuses to hit small targets unlike cruise missiles and are all considered smart missiles.
- Medium Range Missiles: Instead of being fitted for long range missiles, the box launcher is fitted for firing medium range missiles. Weapon system is used for hitting enemy robots, fighters, and long range and cruise missiles. Missile has a top speed of Mach 15 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 6% of light per turn. Weapon system can be used on multiple targets simultaneously.
- Eight (8) Short Range Missile Launchers: Four of these are mounted on the left and another four on the right side of the tank, and are fitted flush with the armor. These are standard short range missile launchers, and they fire straight upwards. They are usually used for defense and for shooting down aircraft. The reloads are situated next to the launchers, just beneath the armor, on the sides of the APC. Missile has a top speed of Mach 10 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 2% of light per turn (slightly faster than any starship except if it is exceeding it maximum safe acceleration).
On the independent fire setting each laser has +4 to strike and has 5 attacks per melee. When overridden by any of the crew members the laser gives +3 for crew member to strike.
The turrets have a field of fire of 360 degrees, and a elevation of +90 to -10 degrees.
Maximum Effective Range: 3000 feet (914 m) in an atmosphere and 56.8 miles (91.4 km) in space.
Mega-Damage: 1D4x10 per burst, can only fire bursts.
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined number of hand to hand attacks of the gunner or by automatic (5 attacks per melee PER laser).
Payload: Effectively Unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: Long Range Missile range is 3,400 miles (5,470 km) in an atmosphere and 1,800,000 miles (2,897,000 km/9.7 light seconds) in space.
Mega-Damage & Properties: See revised Phase World missile tables for details (Fusion warheads inflict 2D4x100 M.D.C. each.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), three (3), four (4) missiles, or eight (8) missiles.
Payload: Sixteen (16) missiles total.
Maximum Effective Range: Medium Range Missile range is 160 miles (257.5 km) in an atmosphere and 80,000 miles (128,750 km/0.43 light seconds) in space.
Mega-Damage: Varies with medium range missile type (See revised Phase World missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), eight (8) missiles, or sixteen (16) missiles.
Payload: Thirty-Two (32) missiles total.
Maximum Effective Range: Mini-Missile range is 2 miles (3.2 km) in an atmosphere and 100 miles (161 km) in space.
Mega-Damage: Varies with short range missile type (See revised Phase World missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in a volley of Two (2), Four (4), Six (6), or Eight (8).
Payload: One (1) short range missile per launcher, with one (1) reload per launcher, for a total of sixteen (16) short range missiles.
Sensors & Equipment:
Has all the normal sensors and equipment of power armors and armored vehicles in the Three Galaxies plus the following special features.
- Long Range Sensor Array: Combined gravity, radar, and tadar systems. Some versions may not mount the Tadar system. With Radar: Targeting range of 500,000 miles (804,700 km) against small targets, 1,000,000 miles (1,609,300 km) against medium targets, and 1,500,000 miles (2,414,000 km) against large targets. With Tadar: Range of 200,000 miles (322,000 km against small targets, 400,000 miles (644,000 km) against medium targets, and 800,000 miles (1,287,500 km) against large targets. With Gravity Sensors: Range of 4 million miles (8.05 million kilometers) against small targets, 10 million miles (16.1 million kilometers) against medium targets, and 15 million miles (24.1 million kilometers) against large targets.
- Gravity Wave Sensor: Similar to sensor system in PA E-1000 Enforcer. System uses gravity waves like a form of radar. Range is 2000 ft (610 m) in an atmosphere and has 1000 times that range when operated in space. The system can electronically map the insides of structures. Combined with thermo graphics, will also detect invisible targets and find people inside building or ships, and even detect traps and hidden rooms. The sensor system cannot penetrate force fields or phase fields, however.
- Limited AI computer: This AI controls all of the Point Defense Lasers and the automatic Mortar. It can recognize enemy soldiers at 85% proficiency, and friendly troops at 98% proficiency. It will not fire when in doubt, but it can at any time be overridden by one of the crew members.
- Camouflage System: The Mastiff`s surface is covered by a fiber-optic
material that can change colors to match the general environment. Color
change takes 2D4 melee rounds 30 to 120 seconds), in which the armor becomes
the exact same color as the predominant one in the area. In the woods or
in broken terrain, the suit will also create stripes and blotches of lighter
and darker color like a camouflage pattern. In all cases, the APC is difficult
to spot: -20% for others to detect ambush and detect concealment, and as
long as the APC is inactive there is a a 30% chance of not being seen if
it does not fire any weapons or charges any systems.
The system also masks infrared and thermal emissions, making the tank`s heat invisible to infrared and thermal optics! There is only a 30% chance of the suit showing up on thermal systems and even then the reading/image will seem unusual. The camouflage system is disabled after the APC`s main body takes 100 points of damage.
[ Brodkil TM, Bushido Industries TM, CAF TM, Catyr TM, CCW TM, Consortium of Civilized Worlds TM, Free Worlds Council TM, Gene Splicers TM, K-Hex TM, Kittani TM, Kreeghor TM, Machine People TM, M.D.C. TM, Mega-Damage TM, M’Kri Hardware TM, Monro TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, Noro TM, Paradise Federation TM, Phase World TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Seljuks TM, Splugorth TM, Trans-Galactic Empire TM, Tri-Galactic Military Service TM, United Worlds Warlock TM, U.W.W. TM, Wolfen TM, and Zembahk TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2011, Kitsune. All rights reserved.