PA-GAPC3 Phoenix Armory Boxer Armored Personnel Carrier (Grav):
"Those new Boxer APC`s sure are a relief over the old Maniple. Not so much because they are better armed or armored, but because of that Orbital Insertion capability they have. When you flew the old Maniple and had to do a orbital insertion, you were stuffed into one of those badly armored flying bricks, and then you had to pray that it would n`t be shot down with you in it. Nowadays the carrier just dumps us APC`s into the upper atmosphere, and lets you fend for yourself. I tell you, with all that massed PD and the larger number of targets your chance to get down in one piece is a lot better than if you were sitting in a combat shuttle, and I don`t care what the fly boys think about that!"
Most of us grunts really appreciate that extra bit of PD that the new APC`s have. As long as you are under that PD canopy you have to worry a lot less about eating a missile. Or enemy soldiers."
When the Human Alliance began to update its Armed Forces, there were more updates done than merely those to the navy`s ships. A complete review was taken of the entire stock of the HAF Armed Forces, and several older items in the inventory were slated for replacement. Just like the Phalanx MBT before it, the Maniple IFV was selected to be phased out. Certainly now that the Slammer MBT had been selected, with its powerful contra grav drives and shields which allowed for the tank to be dropped from orbit, the old Maniple was no longer considered to be up to date. As with the MBT a Design competition was held, and several firms entered their designs. Among these were again Naruni Industries, Bushido Industries, and Phoenix Armory.
This time the competition was much shorter, as Phoenix Armory already had a advantage over the other competitors. Their entry for the APC competition, the Boxer had many parts in common with their Slammer MBT, and was as capable as the designs from the other competitors. Because monetary considerations were as much a part of the decision as was capability, the Boxer was quickly chosen as the new APC for the Human Alliance Armed Forces. The parts commonality with the Slammer means that much less logistics are needed to maintain both vehicles.
Just like in the case of the Slammer, several IDF`s (most notably the New Coventry Defense Force) and mercenary groups ( most notably Tri-galactic Military Services) are now either evaluating the Boxer, or have already ordered it as a replacement for some of their aging material. The selection of Phoenix Armory Slammer MBT and their Boxer APC by a major force like the Human Alliance, and smaller independent forces like the New Coventry Defense Force and the Tri-galactic Military Services constitutes one of the biggest sale success stories in the Three Galaxies in recent years. And again the big loser in the bid was Naruni Industries. Their fighter sales are already in the gutter thanks to Bushido Industries, and now the sale of their tanks and APC`s are dropping too. Corporate Warfare might not be very far away anymore....
The Boxer has much of the traditional looks of an APC, featuring a large boxy body with a large door in the back which doubles as a ramp, and a rather small turret mounted on the front third of the body. Except for the Short Range Missile launchers all weapons and engines are located in the front third of the design. This a lot of room in the rear third of the Boxer , which is used to carry either 36 infantry soldiers in heavy combat armor, or twelve soldiers in powered armor, or six soldiers in Glitter boy armor. These troops can be carried to the battlefield rapidly, and can disembark under the protection of the Boxer`s powerful point defense lasers. In addition to these troops there is room for four small storage compartments for supplies and first-aid kits, and one large locker for a few extra weapons and ammunition. Off course the large compartment can also be used to carry supplies and equipment. The Boxer can carry a total load of fourteen tons of cargo in its rear compartment.
The engines are no longer the clumsy combination of Air-cushion and Contra-gravity of the Maniple. Instead they are all Contra-gravity, and much more powerful to boot. This allows the Boxer the same kind of mobility as the Slammer MBT, including the ability to be dropped from orbit. This allows for massed assaults, and the APC`s point defense allows for greatly enhanced survivability.
The Boxer is quite heavily armed, although most of its weapon systems are a bit short ranged. Its main weapon is a 200 mm flechette gun, which is the same weapon carried on the old Phalanx MBT. Because of its capability to do a lot of damage to a wide area this weapon was chosen to be mounted in the turret. Because of the characteristics of the flechette gun it is extremely useful for anti-personnel use, but it is also capable of dealing out good blows to armored targets.
Mounted in the main body of the Boxer is a automated mortar, which is equal to that of the Ground Pounder armor. This weapon is normally controlled by the APC`s artificial intelligence, and will automatically engage enemy soldiers and vehicles that come into range.
Point Defense is provided by no less than four automated lasers. One of these is located on the turret, two are located on the top of the rear corners of the main body, and the last one is a retractable unit located on the underside of the main body. These pulse lasers are also controlled by the APC`s artificial intelligence, just like the ones on the Slammer MBT. Unlike those on the Slammer, these lasers are also used to provide cover to a larger area, and are also used to defend friendly troops from missiles and enemy powered armors.
For close in missile defense the Boxer uses two canister that fire mini-missiles. These are mounted on the sides of the turret, and can quickly be replaced with full units in the field. For anti-aircraft use the Boxer has eight short range missile launchers mounted in its side armor. Each of these missile launchers has one reload.
The armor of the APC is about as tough as that of the Maniple, but this is enhanced by the use of a variable force field. This compact system is a virtual copy of the system found on the Black Eagle fighter (which greatly reduces logistics, as with the railgun and the mortar), and is quite powerful. Unlike with the Slammer, no special armor was used, so the Boxer is equally vulnerable on all sides to all weapons once its force field is knocked down. The last bit of armor is really one to the eye: the skin of the Boxer is covered with a advanced camouflage system, which masks its infrared signature, and makes the tank difficult to spot visually.
This APC uses modified starship rules for its weaponry and engines. See Revised Starship Rules for Phase World for more details. The picture above shows a Boxer with the bottom PD turret extended.
(Note: The power system is fusion not anti-matter because the author's opinion is that anti-matter is to dangerous to be used in vehicles that may be used in an atmosphere. If a craft powered by anti-matter was to detonate in an atmosphere it would cause huge planetary damage. At GM option, this can also be applied to all vehicles or this APC can be changed to anti-matter.)
Model Type: PA-GAPC3 Phoenix Armory Armored Personnel Carrier.
Vehicle Type: Armored Personnel Carrier
Crew: Three, one driver, one commander, one gunner. Thirty-six passengers maximum.
M.D.C. By Location:
|Flechette Gun (turret):||100|
| Mortar (hull):||50|
|Point Defense Lasers (4, 1 on turret, 3 on main body):||50 each|
|Short Range Missile launchers (8, sides):||60 each|
|Mini Missile Canisters (2, turret):||100 each|
| Main Body:||400|
| Variable Force Field:||200 per side (1,200 total)|
 The mortar is located in the top armor of the hull and is a small and difficult target to hit. Attacker must make a called shot, and is -2 to strike.
 Destroying the turret means that all weapons mounted on it become useless.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body will put the APC out of commission. All internal systems will shut down, including life support and internal gravity. The A.P.C. itself will be an unsalvageable wreck.
 Shields positions can be varied and all could be combined in one shield. Shields regenerate at the rate of 5% (60 M.D.C.) per melee round.
Driving on the Ground: 300 mph (480 kph) maximum. The APC can make sharp turns and float over any obstacle. note: The maximum top speed can be actually higher than this, but that is under ideal conditions, like straight roads and flat terrain.
Atmospheric Propulsion: Maximum cruise speed is Mach 1.5 (1,112.2 mph / 1,790 kph), can enter and leave an atmosphere because flight system is by contra grav. Above Mach 0.85 the tank is -2 to dodge and -1 to initiative though.
Underwater: The Boxer can use its thrusters to travel up to a maximum speed of 100 mph (160 km).
Maximum Ocean Depth: 2 mile (3.2 km)
Maximum Range: Effectively Unlimited by drive system but only has supplies for crew for two weeks. Any onboard passengers are relegated to what supplies they carry with them.
Length: 47.4 feet (14.2 meters)
Height: 12.24 feet (3.67 meters)from bottom to top of turret, 15.6 feet (4.68 meters) from bottom PD laser to top of PD lasers on turret. The bottom laser can be retracted!
Width: 13 feet (3.9 meters)
Weight: 30 tons (27.2 metric tons)
Power System: Advanced Fusion with 20 year life span.
Cargo: Four lockers, 3 feet by 3 feet by 4 feet (0.9 by 0.9 by 1.2 meters) for medikits, food and personal effects. One weapons locker of 2 feet by 1 feet by 6 feet (0.6 by 0.3 by 1.8 meters). Holds 3 HI-80 combat rifles, six HI-10 laser pistols, and six E-Clips for each weapon. The main cargo/passenger compartment can hold 36 soldiers in heavy combat armor, 12 soldiers in powered armor, 6 soldiers in Glitter Boy powered suits, or a maximum of 15.5 tons (14 metric tons) of cargo.
Market Cost: 75 million credits. Double that on the Black Market. No knock-offs are produced at this time, and is currently serving only in the Human Alliance Armed Forces. Other independent forces are evaluating the Boxer, most notably the New Coventry Defense Force, and the Tri-galactic Military Services mercenary group.
Note: Space ranges are given for when the APC is used on airless moons and other similar locations.
- One (1) 200 mm Flechette Gun: This weapon is the same weapon as mounted in the Phalanx main battle tank. It is a bit like the Glitter Boy`s Boom Gun, and fires hundreds of small darts with every shot. The gun is equally effective against heavily armored targets, or to mow down infantrymen. When fired, the gun launches a single canister filled with hundreds of darts. when the canister has cleared the hull it bursts open, releasing the cloud of darts in a predetermined shotgun-like pattern. Because of this the gun does a great deal of damage to large targets, and less damage to smaller targets. The gun can also be used to shoot down incoming missiles (+2 to shoot down missiles, CAN hit a large spread of missiles due to its shotgun-like pattern). The turret can rotate 360 degrees, and the railgun has a elevation of 60 degrees up, and minus 5 degrees.
- Four (4) Point Defense Pulse Laser cannons: These pulse lasers are meant for point defense and anti-personnel use, and are usually set for automatic fire. The lasers are mounted in spherical turrets, with the barrel hardly protruding from the casing. One of these lasers is mounted on the top of the turret, two more are mounted on top of the rear corners of the APC, giving them a truly excellent field of fire. The last turret is located on the underside of the hull, and can be retracted for landing. The guns on the rear, and the retractable turret on the bottom of the APC are very useful in providing covering fire for the troops as they disembark.
- One (1) Automatic Mortar: The mortar is almost a direct copy of the weapon carried by the Ground Pounder combat armor. It is mounted in the hull, in front of the turret, and fires out through the roof. This weapon is used against enemy infantry, and is normally controlled by the APC`s AI, which will automatically fire it at detected enemy infantry. Any crew member can override the AI though, and fire the weapon by himself.
- Eight (8) Short Range Missile Launchers: Four of these are mounted on the left and another four on the right side of the tank, and are fitted flush with the armor. These are standard short range missile launchers, and they fire straight upwards. They are usually used for defense and for shooting down aircraft. The reloads are situated next to the launchers, just beneath the armor, on the sides of the APC. Missile has a top speed of Mach 10 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 2% of light per turn (slightly faster than any starship except if it is exceeding it maximum safe acceleration).
- Two (2) Mini-missile canisters: Bolted to the side of the turret are two Mini-missile launcher canisters. Each of these canisters holds twenty missiles. Weapon system is used for hitting enemy robots, fighters, and missiles. Weapon system is also used for anti-cruise missile. Missile has a top speed of Mach 10 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 2% of light per turn (slightly faster than any starship except if it is exceeding it maximum safe acceleration). Mini-Missiles in the Three Galaxies are normally guided.
Maximum Effective Range: 12,000 feet (3.6 km) through atmosphere and 224 miles (360 km) in space.
Mega-Damage: Against a large target (10 feet/3 meters tall/wide or higher), the flechette gun inflicts 3D4x10 M.D. Against human sized targets the flechettes do 1D4x10 M.D. to a area 30 feet (9.1 meters) in diameter.
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined hand to hand attacks of the gunner (usually 4 or 5).
Payload: 100 canisters.
On the independent fire setting each laser has +4 to strike and has 5 attacks per melee. When overridden by any of the crew members the laser gives +3 for crew member to strike.
The turrets have a field of fire of 360 degrees, and a elevation of +90 to -10 degrees.
Maximum Effective Range: 3000 feet (914 m) in an atmosphere and 56.8 miles (91.4 km) in space.
Mega-Damage: 1D4x10 per burst, can only fire bursts.
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined number of hand to hand attacks of the gunner or by automatic (5 attacks per melee PER laser).
Payload: Effectively Unlimited
Maximum Effective Range: 4,000 feet, can fire above fortifications and obstacles.
Mega-Damage: 4D6 to a 30 foot (9.1 meter) radius.
Rate of Fire:Four (4) times per melee on automatic, or equal to the number of hand to hand attacks of the gunner.
Payload: 200 round magazine. Takes 20 melees to reload (must be done by hand)
Maximum Effective Range: Mini-Missile range is 2 miles (3.2 km) in an atmosphere and 100 miles (161 km) in space.
Mega-Damage: Varies with short range missile type (See revised Phase World missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in a volley of Two (2), Four (4), Six (6), or Eight (8).
Payload: One (1) short range missile per launcher, with one (1) reload per launcher, for a total of sixteen (16) short range missiles.
Reloading the canisters in the field takes one melee per missile, but each canister can be replaced with a new, fully loaded, canister in just four melees.
Maximum Effective Range: Mini-Missile range is 2 miles (3.2 km) in an atmosphere and 100 miles (161 km) in space.
Mega-Damage: Varies with mini missile type (See revised Phase World missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), three (3), six (6), Eight (8), or ten (10) missiles per canister.
Payload: 20 mini-missiles per canister (40 missiles total)
Sensors & Equipment:
Has all the normal sensors and equipment of power armors and armored vehicles in the Three Galaxies plus the following special features.
- Gravity Wave Sensor: Similar to sensor system in PA E-1000 Enforcer. System uses gravity waves like a form of radar. Range is 2000 ft (610 m) in an atmosphere and has 1000 times that range when operated in space. The system can electronically map the insides of structures. Combined with thermo graphics, will also detect invisible targets and find people inside building or ships, and even detect traps and hidden rooms. The sensor system cannot penetrate force fields or phase fields, however.
- Limited AI computer: This AI controls all of the Point Defense Lasers and the automatic Mortar. It can recognize enemy soldiers at 85% proficiency, and friendly troops at 98% proficiency. It will not fire when in doubt, but it can at any time be overridden by one of the crew members.
- Camouflage System: The Boxer`s surface is covered by a fiber-optic
material that can change colors to match the general environment. Color
change takes 2D4 melee rounds 30 to 120 seconds), in which the armor becomes
the exact same color as the predominant one in the area. In the woods or
in broken terrain, the suit will also create stripes and blotches of lighter
and darker color like a camouflage pattern. In all cases, the APC is difficult
to spot: -20% for others to detect ambush and detect concealment, and as
long as the APC is inactive there is a a 30% chance of not being seen if
it does not fire any weapons or charges any systems.
The system also masks infrared and thermal emissions, making the tank`s heat invisible to infrared and thermal optics! There is only a 30% chance of the suit showing up on thermal systems and even then the reading/image will seem unusual. The camouflage system is disabled after the APC`s main body takes 100 points of damage.
[ Brodkil TM, Bushido Industries TM, CAF TM, Catyr TM, CCW TM, Consortium of Civilized Worlds TM, Free Worlds Council TM, Gene Splicers TM, K-Hex TM, Kittani TM, Kreeghor TM, Machine People TM, M.D.C. TM, Mega-Damage TM, M’Kri Hardware TM, Monro TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, Noro TM, Paradise Federation TM, Phase World TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Seljuks TM, Splugorth TM, Trans-Galactic Empire TM, Tri-Galactic Military Service TM, United Worlds Warlock TM, U.W.W. TM, Wolfen TM, and Zembahk TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
By Mischa (E-Mail Mischa)
Minor revisions by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2000 & 2011, Mischa. All rights reserved.