PA-MBTGT3 Phoenix Armory Slammer Main Battle Grav-Tank:
"The Slammer is a badassed Tank, and I ain`t kidding you man. It`s got stealth, mobility, armor and firepower like you wouldn`t believe, and all of it in a package smaller than a Phalanx! That PD system is wonderful. Saved our asses on our first mission too. You`d think that we`d need leastways four persons to run this stuff, but the automatics handle most of it, so you need just three blokes, and you can squeeze by on two man if need be. Sure it`s a bit more cramped than the old Phalanx, but that don`t mean that I wanna drive one of those bloody old dinosaurs ever again...."
"Sgt. Colin McGraw, 3rd Armored Brigade, HAFA"
"We were pinned down by a couple of bunkers, when command informed us that some tanks were on the way to help us. We watched those Slammers come over the hill, and we were sure that the Imps (TGE Troops red.) would gut them. Then the first missiles arched out of the bunkers, and we just KNEW those tankers were toast. If we were surprised at how the tanks PD slapped those darts out of the sky, imagine what the Imps must have felt like. Then the lead tank aimed its hull at the first bunker, and fired its plasma cannon. We were maybe fifty yards away, and we thought that the world ended. For the Imps, it did."
"PFC Mara Knute, 2nd Light Brigade, HAFM"
When the Human Alliance began to update its Armed Forces, there were more updates done than merely those of the navy`s ships. A complete review was taken of the entire stock of the HAF Armed Forces, and several older items in the inventory were slated for replacement. This too was the fate of the Phalanx Main Battle Tank that had served in the armed forces for several centuries. Although it was still a quite powerful weaponsystem, it also had some obvious limitations, and it many of the tanks were beginning to show their age. A Design competition for a new MBT was held, and several firms entered a design. Among these were Naruni Industries, Bushido Industries and Phoenix Armory. Especially Naruni Industries had a lot of interest in this bid, as they it had been some time since any of their hardware had been chosen for such a large government contract.
To their intense chagrin, the contract ultimately went to Phoenix Armory, and their Slammer MBT. This gave the Slammer a good reputation, and several IDF`s (most notably the New Coventry Defense Force) and mercenary groups ( most notably Tri-galactic Military Services) are now either evaluating the Slammer, or have already ordered it as a replacement for some of their aging material. In fact, the amount of orders for the Slammer currently outstanding is so large that Phoenix Armory has started to give out production licenses to other compagnies, in a effort to keep up with production.
The Slammer looks rather different than most tanks currently in use in the three galaxies. The main hull of the tank is long and rather low, and the glacis plate is mounted under a extreme angle. The turret is smaller than usual, also with a very angled front armor, and the turret is set back near the rear of the tanks hull. The sides of the tank are almost vertical, for although a angled armor was also available, it was later in the selection process discarded for a vertical armor. This made the tank less wide, which in turn allowed more tanks to be stored in both assault carriers and transports (two Slammers can be carried in the place of a single Phalanx). The tank has powerful contragrav drives, allowing it to travel at high speeds just above the ground and still be maneuverable, or to leave the atmosphere and break into orbit. The last option will not be used often, but the drive system makes the reverse possible too: In a assault the transporting spaceship can enter a low orbit, skimming the atmosphere, and simply drop the tanks out of its holds for a massed assault. It is no longer necessary to transport the tanks to the surface with slow and badly maneuverable combat shuttles. In addition to this, the tanks can use their weaponry while still in flight, greatly improving initial firepower.
The crew of three (one commander, one gunner and one driver) are all seated in the main hull. The Driver sits on the left side of the hull, well in front of the turret, under the glacis plate. the commander sits behind him, and the gunner sits to the commanders right. Although space was never at a premium in the Phalanx, there is even less space available in the Slammer, with each crew member sitting reclined in their seats, with almost no room to move around.
The weaponry of the Slammer is surprisingly heavy for a tank of its size. Located in the turret is a GR-1000 heavy railgun. This long and large weapon was originally a starfighter weapon, but its excellent power and range also make it useful for tank warfare, where the long range of the weapon is good for giving the first blow. Or blows, as most other tank mounted weapons have nowhere near the range of the GR-1000. It is mounted somewhat to the left of the center of the turret. To the right of the centerline and the railgun a HI-Laser is mounted. This weapon too is of starfighter class, and although it lacks the punch of the railgun it has very nearly its range. Mounted on top of the turret are two fully automated point defense lasers in spherical cuppola`s. These fire a wide spray of laser pulses. This means that they are not very long ranged, but that they do have a good chance to hit even small targets like missiles. Although the lasers are usually set on automatic they can be overridden by any crew member. A third point defense laser is mounted in a similar (but retractable) cuppola on the underside of the tank. This laser is most often used for antipersonnel use.
Mounted in the rear of the turret is a small mortar with a automated magazine. This mortar is a copy of the weapon carried on the Ground Pounder infantry armor. Mounted in the hull are ten mini-missile launchers, divided into two groups of five. Each group has a separate magazine, and the missiles are fired out from the left and right side of the tank. The final weapon mounted in the main hull is a hugely powerful plasma cannon. This provides the Slammer with firepower equal to that of some light starships. The downside to this is the cannons low rate of fire, its relatively short range, and the fact that it is mounted rigidly on the centerline of the hull. Its rigid mounting in a somewhat recessed bay means that the entire hull must be aimed at a target to fire the gun.
The last weapons are a pair of missile canisters that can be bolted to the rear of the tank. Each of these canisters holds nine medium range missiles, which can be used for anti-armor purposes, bombardment or, as most tankers tend to do, for anti-aircraft use.
The armor of the tank is slightly less powerful than that of the Phalanx, but this is offset by the use of a variable forcefield. This compact system is a virtual copy of the system found on the Black Eagle fighter (which greatly reduces logistics, as with the railgun and the mortar), and is quite powerful. The Glacis plate and the front armor of the turret (the targets most likely to be hit first in a direct engagement) are sharply angled, and are laminated with a special alloy which reduces the damage done by particle beams. The sharp angle reduces the damage done by kinetic energy weapons. The last bit of armor is really one to the eye: the skin of the Slammer is covered with a advanced camouflage system, which masks its infrared signature, and makes the tank difficult to spot visually.
This Tank uses modified starship rules for its weaponry and engines. See Revised Starship Rules for Phase World for more details. The picture above shows a Slammer without the Medium Range Missile canisters, but with the bottom PD turret extended.
(Note: The power system is fusion not anti-matter because the author's opinion is that anti-matter is to dangerous to be used in vehicles that may be used in an atmosphere. If a craft powered by anti-matter was to detonate in an atmosphere it would cause huge planetary damage. At GM option, this can also be applied to all vehicles or this MBT can be changed to anti-matter.)
Model Type: PA-MBTGT3 Phoenix Armory Slammer Main Battle Grav-Tank Mark
Vehicle Type: Main Battle Tank
Crew: Three, one driver, one commander, one gunner.
M.D.C. By Location:
|GR-1000 Rail Cannon(turret):||110|
| Mortar (turret):||50|
|Point Defense Lasers (3, 2 on turret, one on bottom):||50 each|
| Plasma Cannon (main body):||150|
|Medium Range Missile Canisters (2):||120 each|
|Mini Missile Launchers (10, main body):||30 each|
| Main Body:||1,000|
| Variable Force Field:||200 per side (1,200 total)|
 The mortar is located in the top armor of the turret and is a small and difficult target to hit. Attacker must make a called shot, and is -2 to strike.
 The Plasma cannon is mounted inside of the main body, with only the muzzle protruding into a recessed part of the front armor. It can only be hit from the front, and this requires a called shot.
 The sharp angle of the frontal armor of the turret, and its special composition means that the Forward armor (and the forward armor alone!) takes half damage from kinetic weapons and particle beams.
 The sharp angle of the glacis plate, and its special composition means that the forward armor (and the forward armor alone!) takes half damage from kinetic weapons and particle beams. Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body will put the tank out of commission. All internal systems will shut down, including life support and internal gravity. The tank itself will be an unsalvageable wreck.
 Shields positions can be varied and all could be combined in one shield. Shields regenerate at the rate of 5% (60 M.D.C.) per melee
Driving on the Ground: 300 Mph (480 kph) maximum. The tank can make sharp turns and float over any obstacle. Note: The maximum top speed can be actually higher than this, but that is under ideal conditions, like straight roads and flat terrain.
Atmospheric Propulsion: Maximum cruise speed is Mach 1.5 (1112.2 mph / 1790 kph), can enter and leave an atmosphere because flight system is by contra grav. Above Mach 0.85 the tank is -2 to dodge and -1 to initiative though.
Underwater: The Slammer can use its thrusters to travel up to a maximum speed of 100 mph (160 km).
Maximum Ocean Depth: 2 mile (3.2 km)
Maximum Range: Effectively Unlimited by drive system but only has supplies for crew for two weeks.
Length: 42 feet (12.6 meters)
Height: 10 feet (3 meters)from bottom to top of turret, 13.7 feet (4.11 meters) from bottom PD laser to top of PD lasers on turret. The bottom laser can be retracted!
Width: 14 feet (4.2 meters)
Weight: 148 tons (134.3 metric tons)
Power System: Advanced Fusion with 30 year life span.
Cargo: Utility closet (4 x 3 x 3 feet / 1.2 x .9 x .9 m) for personal effects.
Market Cost: 175 million credits. Double that on the Black Market. No knock-offs are produced at this time, and is currently serving only in the Human Alliance Armed Forces. Other independant forces are evaluating the Slammer, most notably the New Coventry Defense Force, and the Tri-galactic Military Services mercenary group.
Weapon Systems: Note: Space ranges are given for when the tank is used on airless moons and other similar locations.
- GR-1000 Rail Gun: The Rail gun is mounted in the turret of the tank and is the tanks Primary weapons system, together with the plasma cannon. This weapon has a great range and power, and is used against other tanks, armored vehicles, bunkers and for Anti-Aircraft use. it is mounted slightly to the left of the center of the turret. Projectiles out of launcher at a significant fraction of the speed of light in space, and at hypersonic speeds in a atmosphere, and the railgun uses a 30 mm projectile.
- HI-Laser: A standard fighter sized HI-Laser cannon, this weapon lacks the punch of the GR-1000 Railgun, but it has good range, and is not dependant on ammunition. It is used against lightly armored vehicles, powered armors and for Anti-Aircraft use. It is mounted to the right of the Railgun in the turret, and has a elevation of 70 degrees up, and minus 10 degrees. (The turret can rotate 360 degrees)
- Plasma Cannon: A very heavy weapon that fires a bolt of superheated plasma. As powerful as some medium starship weapons this cannon is very destructive but it suffers from a limited rate of fire and a short range because the plasma Bolt rapidly dissipates in a atmosphere. The cannon is rigidly mounted in a recessed bay in the forward part of the tanks long main hull, meaning that it has a fixed forward arc of fire. Still, because of its huge power it is very useful against other tanks and bunkers. The cannon receives its power directly from the tanks fusion reactor. The cannon cannot be fired when the tank is truly flying (above 1000 feet/300 meters and 200 MPH / 320 Kph), as the contragrav drive consumes too much power for the fusion reactor to recharge the cannon.
- Point Defense Pulse Laser cannons (3): These pulse lasers are meant for point defense and anti-personnel use, and are usually set for automatic fire. The lasers are mounted in spherical turrets, with the barrel hardly protruding from the casing. One of these lasers is mounted on the right and one on the left upper rim of the turret, giving them a truly excellent field of fire. The last turret is located on the underside of the hull, and can be retracted for landing. This gun especially is used for anti-personnel fire. On the independent fire setting each laser has +4 to strike and has 5 attacks per melee. When overridden by any of the crewmembers the laser gives +3 for crew member to strike. The turrets have a field of fire of 360 degrees, and a elevation of +90 to -10 degrees.
- Automatic Mortar (1): The mortar is almost a direct copy of the weapon carried by the Ground Pounder combat armor. It is mounted in the turret, and fires out through the roof. This weapon is used against enemy infantry, and is normally controlled by the tanks AI, which will automatically fire it at detected enemy infantry. Any crewmember can override the AI though, and fire the weapon by himself.
- Medium Range Missile canisters (2): Bolted to the back of the tank are two medium missile launcher canisters. Each of these canisters holds nine missiles. Weapon system is used for hitting enemy robots, fighters, and missiles. Weapon system is also used for anti-cruise missile. Missile has a top speed of Mach 15 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 6% of light per turn. Launchers can launch on multiple targets at the same time. Reloading the canisters in the field takes two melees per missile, but each canister can be replaced with a new, fully loaded, canister in just four melees.
- Mini-missile Launchers (10): Five of these are mounted on the left and another five on the right side of the tank, and are fitted flush with the armor. These are standard mini missile launchers, usually used for close in defense purposes. The reloads are fed to the launchers from a small magazine in the main body. If a launcher is damaged, its reloads can be directed to the other launchers. Missile has a top speed of Mach 10 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 2% of light per turn (slightly faster than any starship except if it is exceeding it maximum safe acceleration). Mini-Missile in phase world are normally guided.
This weapon can be fired linked with the laser next to it, this counts as one attack. The turret can rotate 360 degrees, and the railgun has a elevation of 60 degrees up, and minus 10 degrees.
Maximum Effective Range: 16 miles (26 km) through atmosphere and 1,600 miles (2,575 km) in space.
Mega-Damage: Rail gun inflicts 4D6x10 M.D.C. for a 40 round burst. Can only fire bursts. (6D6x10 M.D. when fired linked with the HI-Laser.)
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined hand to hand attacks of the gunner (usually 4 or 5).
Payload: 10,000 Rounds (250 Bursts).
This weapon can be fired linked with the railgun next to it, this counts as one attack.
Maximum Effective Range: 1,200 miles (1,925 km) in space and 12 miles (19.3 km) in an atmosphere.
Mega Damage: 2D6x10 per burst (6D6x10 M.D. when fired linked with the railgun)
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined hand to hand attacks of the gunner (usually 4 or 5).
Payload: Effectively Unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: 625 miles (1,002 km) in space and 6,000 feet (1,830 m) in an atmosphere.
Mega-Damage: 1D6x100 M.D.
Rate of Fire: Twice per melee.
Payload: Effectively Unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: 3000 feet (914 m) in an atmosphere and 56.8 miles (91.4 km) in space.
Mega-Damage: 1D4x10 per burst, can only fire bursts.
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined number of hand to hand attacks of the gunner or by automatic (5 attacks per melee PER laser).
Payload: Effectively Unlimited
Mega-Damage: 4D6 to a 30 foot (9.1 meter) radius.
Maximum Effective Range: 4,000 feet, can fire above fortifications and obstacles.
Rate of Fire:4 times per melee on automatic, or equal to the number of hand to hand attacks of the gunner.
Payload: 200 round magazine. Takes 20 melees to reload (must be done by hand)
Mega-Damage: Varies with medium range missile type (See revised Phase World missile tables for details.)
Maximum Effective Range: Medium Range Missile range is 160 miles (257.5 km) in an atmosphere and 80,000 miles (128,750 km/0.43 light seconds) in space.
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of 3, 6, or 9 missiles per canister.
Payload: 9 medium range missiles (18 missiles total)
Missile Type: Any mini-missile can be used, but standard issue is armor piercing or plasma. Fragmentation will be used for anti-personnel operations.
Mega-damage: Varies with mini missile type (See revised Phase World missile tables for details.)
Maximum Effective Range: Mini-Missile range is 2 miles (3.2 km) in an atmosphere and 100 miles (161 km) in space.
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in a volley of 2, 4, 6, 8, or 10.
Payload: 1 mini-missile per launcher, with 9 reloads per launcher, for a total of 100 mini-missiles.
Sensors & Equipment:
Has all the normal sensors and equipment of power armors and armored vehicles in the Three Galaxies plus the following special features.
- Gravity Wave Sensor: Similar to sensor system in PA E-1000 Enforcer. System uses gravity waves like a form of radar. Range is 2000 ft (610 m) in an atmosphere and has 1000 times that range when operated in space. The system can electronically map the insides of structures. Combined with thermographics, will also detect invisible targets and find people inside building or ships, and even detect traps and hidden rooms. The sensor system cannot penetrate force fields or phase fields, however.
- Limited AI computer: This AI controls all of the Point Defense Lasers and the automatic Mortar. It can recognise enemy soldiers at 85% proficiency, and friendly troops at 98% proficiency. It will not fire when in doubt, but it can at any time be overridden by one of the crewmembers.
- Camouflage System: The tanks surface is covered by a fiber-optic
material that can change colors to match the general environment. Color
change takes 2D4 melee rounds 30 to 120 seconds), in which the armor becomes
the exact same color as the predominant one in the area. In the woods or
in broken terrain, the layer will also create stripes and blotches of lighter
and darker color like a camouflage pattern. In all cases, the tank is difficult
to spot: -20% for others to detect ambush and detect concealment, and as
long as the tank is inactive there is a a 30% chance of not being seen
if it does not fire any weapons or charges any systems.
The system also masks infrared and thermal emissions, making the tank`s heat invisible to infrared and thermal optics! There is only a 30% chance of the suit showing up on thermal systems and even then the reading/image will seem unusual. For every 30 M.D.C. done to the main body of the tank, the penalty to spot is reduced by 2%, and the chance to be picked up on thermal systems goes up 7 %.
[ Brodkil TM, Bushido Industries TM, CAF TM, Catyr TM, CCW TM, Consortium of Civilized Worlds TM, Free Worlds Council TM, Gene Splicers TM, K-Hex TM, Kittani TM, Kreeghor TM, Machine People TM, M.D.C. TM, Mega-Damage TM, M’Kri Hardware TM, Monro TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, Noro TM, Paradise Federation TM, Phase World TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Seljuks TM, Splugorth TM, Trans-Galactic Empire TM, Tri-Galactic Military Service TM, United Worlds Warlock TM, U.W.W. TM, Wolfen TM, and Zembahk TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
By Mischa (E-Mail Mischa)
Copyright © 2000, Mischa. All rights reserved.
[Phoenix Armory is copyright of Kitsune & Mischa]