PA-MBTGT4 Phoenix Armory Sniper Main Battle Grav-Tank:
"If you thought that the Slammer was bad news at long range, you should check out its brother, the Sniper. The cannon on that thing is accurate as hell, has a punch like a starship railgun, and it has a reach like you wouldn`t believe. As I`ve always said, Bigger is Better, and it takes a MAN to understand that!"
"Sgt. BrenTen, Newport Testing grounds, HAFA"
"A pity that the coax laser is gone, `cause that means that you are now ammo dependant.
And running out of ammo on the battlefield isn`t my idea of a good time. And it IS a battlefield tank, `cause
that barrel is so long that floating around in a city can be a real hindrance. You get into a narrow street
and you can forget about turning your turret round.
But credit where credit is due, when used in the proper tactical circumstances, like armor hunting, it sure is a mighty weapon, and you can actually use it for the indirect fire support mission too. Can`t do that with the Slammer."
"Sgt. Niirah Zaazh, 5th Armored Brigade, HAFA"
"We never even saw where the shots came from, but the first one hit us with enough force to rip the left fan skirts right off, and that made us come to a full stop in no time. We were shaken up very badly, and then the second round tore the turret off. It landed a couple of meters besides the tank, with private M`Krecht and that human gunner still in it. What was left of them anyway. Us survivors got the hell out of there and found us a nice foxhole to stay in for the duration of the battle."
"Commander Nor Merrakr`ch, 746th Armored Division, TGE Armed Forces."
"Reach Out And Touch Someone"
Motto seen painted on the barrel of a anonimous Sniper tank.
The Sniper tank is a direct brother to the Slammer MBT, but its armnament and mission are somewhat different. Where the Slammer is a Main Battle Tank, the Sniper is meant as a Armor Hunter, with the added ability of providing some medium range fire support. Phoenix Armory offered the Sniper to the Human Alliance whilst they were busy converting from the old Phalanx tank to the new Slammer tank (another PA product). The Human Alliance forces were intrigued enough to test the tank, and found that it offered some (modest) advantages over the Slammer on a battlefield. Because the cost is virtually equal to that of a Slammer, and more than 80 percent of all parts are the same, it was decided that a modest amount of Sniper tanks would be purchased. The plan is to equip all Armored brigades with them, with one Sniper for every two platoons of Slammer tanks (2x8) to serve in a support function, although it will often depend upon tactical circumstances how these tanks will be integrated on a battlefield level.
The Sniper tank looks much like the Slammer, with a slightly longer and "cleaner" main hull and a somewhat larger turret. The main hull of the tank is long and rather low, and the glacis plate is mounted under a extreme angle. The turret is, although larger than that of the Slammer, smaller than usual, also with a very angled front armor, and it is set back near the rear of the tanks hull. On top of the turret is a cuppola that holds the Tachyonic tightbeam link, and a Neutrino sensor. This cuppola can be folded behind the turret for ease of transport, and for protection. The sides of the tank are almost vertical. This makes the tank less wide, which in turn allows for more tanks to be stored in both assault carriers and transports (two Snipers can be carried in the place of a single Phalanx). The tank has powerful contragrav drives, allowing it to travel at high speeds just above the ground and still be maneuverable, or to leave the atmosphere and break into orbit. The last option will not be used often, but the drive system makes the reverse possible too: In a assault the transporting spaceship can enter a low orbit, skimming the atmosphere, and simply drop the tanks out of its holds for a massed assault. It is no longer necessary to transport the tanks to the surface with slow and badly maneuverable combat shuttles. In addition to this, the tanks can use their weaponry while still in flight, greatly improving initial firepower.
The crew of three (one commander, one gunner and one driver) are all seated in the main hull, just like in the Slammer. The Driver sits on the left side of the hull, well in front of the turret, under the glacis plate. the commander sits behind him, and the gunner sits to the commanders right. Although space was never at a premium in the Phalanx, there is even less space available in the Sniper, with the crew member sitting reclined in their seats, with almost no room to move around.
The weaponry of the Sniper is where it differs from the Slammer. Instead
of the GR-1000 Gravity Railgun and the HI-Laser it carries only a single GR 1200
Gravity Cannon in its turret. This cannon normally fires a single Armor Piercing
Fin Stabilized Discarding Sabot 90 mm dart. Each of these darts has tremendous kinetic
energy, and a single hit can damage a imperial Darkslayer tank beyond repair.
The dart has a movable nosecone (which can deflect a few degrees in any direction
away from the darts centerline by the use of solid-state actuators) and can be
guided by a virtually unjammable tightbeam Tachyonic link. Thus as long as the
tank has the T-beam link it can make sure that the dart is extremely accurate,
negating partially any sudden movements that the target might make, or any other
disrupting influences. Without the T-beam link the dart is no more accurate than
any other railgun projectile.
The Gravity Cannon can also be used to fire a variety of explosive shells at lower speeds for a fire support mission.
Mounted on top of the turret are two fully automated point defense lasers in spherical cuppola`s. These fire a wide spray of laser pulses. This means that they are not very longranged, but that they do have a good chance to hit even small targets like missiles. Although the lasers are usually set on automatic they can be overridden by any crew member. A third point defense laser is mounted in a similar (but retractable) cuppola on the underside of the tank. This laser is most often used for antipersonnel use.
Mounted in the rear of the turret is a small mortar with a automated magazine. This mortar is a copy of the weapon carried on the Ground Pounder infantry armor. Mounted in the hull are ten mini-missile launchers, divided into two groups of five. Each group has a separate magazine, and the missiles are fired out from the left and right side of the tank. The final weapon mounted in the main hull is a hugely powerful plasma cannon. This provides the Sniper with firepower equal to that of some light starships. The downside to this is the cannons low rate of fire, its relatively short range, and the fact that it is mounted rigidly on the centerline of the hull. Its rigid mounting in a somewhat recessed bay means that the entire hull must be aimed at a target to fire the gun.
The last weapons are a pair of missile canisters that can be bolted to the rear of the tank. Each of these canisters holds nine medium range missiles, which can be used for anti-armor purposes, bombardment or, as most tankers tend to do, for anti-aircraft use.
The armor of the tank is slightly less powerful than that of the Phalanx, and slightly heavyer than that of the Slammer. There is also a forcefield, just like the one on the Slammer. This compact system is a virtual copy of the system found on the Black Eagle fighter (which greatly reduces logistics, as with the railgun and the mortar), and is quite powerful. The Glacis plate and the front armor of the turret (the targets most likely to be hit first in a direct engagement) are sharply angled, and are laminated with a special alloy which reduces the damage done by particle beams. The sharp angle reduces the damage done by kinetic energy weapons. The last bit of armor is really one to the eye: the skin of the Sniper is covered with a advanced camouflage system, which masks its infrared signature, and makes the tank difficult to spot visually.
This Tank uses modified starship rules for its weaponry and engines. See Revised Starship Rules for Phase World for more details. The picture above shows a Sniper without the Medium Range Missile canisters, but with the bottom PD turret extended.
(Note: The power system is fusion not anti-matter because the author's opinion is that anti-matter is to dangerous to be used in vehicles that may be used in an atmosphere. If a craft powered by anti-matter was to detonate in an atmosphere it would cause huge planetary damage. At GM option, this can also be applied to all vehicles or this MBT can be changed to anti-matter.)
Model Type: PA-MBGT4 Phoenix Armory Main Battle GravTank Mark
Vehicle Type: Main Battle Tank
Crew: Three, one driver, one commander, one gunner.
M.D.C. By Location:
|GR-1200 Grav Cannon(turret):||140|
|Neutrino Detector/Tachyon Beam Cuppola (turret):||90|
| Mortar (turret):||50|
|Point Defense Lasers (3, 2 on turret, one on bottom):||50 each|
| Plasma Cannon (main body):||150|
|Medium Range Missile Canisters (2):||120 each|
|Mini Missile Launchers (10, main body):||30 each|
| Main Body:||1,050|
| Variable Force Field:||200 per side (1,200 total)|
 The mortar is located in the top armor of the turret and is a small and difficult target to hit. Attacker must make a called shot, and is -2 to strike.
 The Plasma cannon is mounted inside of the main body, with only the muzzle protruding into a recessed part of the front armor. It can only be hit from the front, and this requires a called shot.
 The sharp angle of the frontal armor of the turret, and its special composition means that the Forward armor (and the forward armor alone!) takes half damage from kinetic weapons and particle beams.
 The sharp angle of the glacis plate, and its special composition means that the forward armor (and the forward armor alone!) takes half damage from kinetic weapons and particle beams. Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body will put the tank out of commission. All internal systems will shut down, including life support and internal gravity. The tank itself will be an unsalvageable wreck.
 Shields positions can be varied and all could be combined in one shield. Shields regenerate at the rate of 5% (60 M.D.C.) per melee
Driving on the Ground: 300 Mph (480 kph) maximum. The tank can make sharp turns and float over any obstacle. Note: The maximum top speed can be actually higher than this, but that is under ideal conditions, like straight roads and flat terrain.
Atmospheric Propulsion: Maximum cruise speed is Mach 1.5 (1112.2 mph / 1790 kph), can enter and leave an atmosphere because flight system is by contra grav. Above Mach 0.85 the tank is -2 to dodge and -1 to initiative though.
Underwater: The Slammer can use its thrusters to travel up to a maximum speed of 100 mph (160 km).
Maximum Ocean Depth: 2 mile (3.2 km)
Maximum Range: Effectively Unlimited by drive system but only has supplies for crew for two weeks.
Length: 48 feet (14.6 meters) for main hull, 52 feet (15.6 meters) total, with barrel forward.
Height: 11.5 feet (3.5 meters)from bottom to top of turret, 17.2 feet (5.16 meters) from bottom PD laser to top of cuppola on turret. The bottom laser can be retracted, and the cuppola can be folded behind the turret!
Width: 16 feet (4.8 meters)
Weight: 155 tons (140.6 metric tons)
Power System: Advanced Fusion with 30 year life span.
Cargo: Utility closet (4 x 3 x 3 feet / 1.2 x .9 x .9 m) for personal effects.
Market Cost: 187 million credits. Double that on the Black Market. No knock-offs are produced at this time, and is currently serving only in the Human Alliance Armed Forces. Other independant forces are evaluating the Sniper, most notably the New Coventry Defense Force, and the Tri-galactic Military Services mercenary group.
Weapon Systems: Note: Space ranges are given for when the tank is used on airless moons and other similar locations.
- GR-1200 Grav Cannon: The Grav Cannon is mounted in the turret of the tank and is the tanks Primary weapons system, together with the plasma cannon. This weapon has a great range and power, and is used against other tanks, armored vehicles, bunkers and, when using explosive ammunition, also in the (Indirect) Fire Support role. The cannon is mounted in the centerline of the turret. Dart comes out of launcher at a significant fraction of the speed of light in space, and at hypersonic speeds in a atmosphere. Explosive ammo is fired at lower velocities. The standard ammunition for the cannon is a single 90 mm APFSDS dart which has limited manuevrability, which is achieved by slightly offsetting its movable nosecone. Guidance is through a tightbeam tachyon link from the tank. The gun can also fire 130 mm explosive ammo at relatively low speeds with either a flat trajectory for direct fire support, or with a high trajectory for beyond visual range fire support.
- Plasma Cannon: A very heavy weapon that fires a bolt of superheated plasma. As powerful as some medium starship weapons this cannon is very destructive but it suffers from a limited rate of fire and a short range because the plasma Bolt rapidly dissipates in a atmosphere. The cannon is rigidly mounted in a recessed bay in the forward part of the tanks long main hull, meaning that it has a fixed forward arc of fire. Still, because of its huge power it is very useful against other tanks and bunkers. The cannon receives its power directly from the tanks fusion reactor. The cannon cannot be fired when the tank is truly flying (above 1000 feet/300 meters and 200 MPH / 320 Kph), as the contragrav drive consumes too much power for the fusion reactor to recharge the cannon.
- Point Defense Pulse Laser cannons (3): These pulse lasers are meant for point defense and anti-personnel use, and are usually set for automatic fire. The lasers are mounted in spherical turrets, with the barrel hardly protruding from the casing. One of these lasers is mounted on the right and one on the left upper rim of the turret, giving them a truly excellent field of fire. The last turret is located on the underside of the hull, and can be retracted for landing. This gun especially is used for anti-personnel fire. On the independent fire setting each laser has +4 to strike and has 5 attacks per melee. When overridden by any of the crewmembers the laser gives +3 for crew member to strike. The turrets have a field of fire of 360 degrees, and a elevation of +90 to -10 degrees.
- Automatic Mortar (1): The mortar is almost a direct copy of the weapon carried by the Ground Pounder combat armor. It is mounted in the turret, and fires out through the roof. This weapon is used against enemy infantry, and is normally controlled by the tanks AI, which will automatically fire it at detected enemy infantry. Any crewmember can override the AI though, and fire the weapon by himself.
- Medium Range Missile canisters (2): Bolted to the back of the tank are two medium missile launcher canisters. Each of these canisters holds nine missiles. Weapon system is used for hitting enemy robots, fighters, and missiles. Weapon system is also used for anti-cruise missile. Missile has a top speed of Mach 15 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 6% of light per turn. Launchers can launch on multiple targets at the same time. Reloading the canisters in the field takes two melees per missile, but each canister can be replaced with a new, fully loaded, canister in just four melees.
- Mini-missile Launchers (10): Five of these are mounted on the left and another five on the right side of the tank, and are fitted flush with the armor. These are standard mini missile launchers, usually used for close in defense purposes. The reloads are fed to the launchers from a small magazine in the main body. If a launcher is damaged, its reloads can be directed to the other launchers. Missile has a top speed of Mach 10 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 2% of light per turn (slightly faster than any starship except if it is exceeding it maximum safe acceleration). Mini-Missile in phase world are normally guided.
When firing Darts with the Tachyon beam link operational the cannon is +3 to strike in a atmosphere.
The turret can rotate 360 degrees, and the cannon has a elevation of 60 degrees up, and minus 10 degrees.
Maximum Effective Range: Dart: 18 miles (28.9 km) through atmosphere and 1,800 miles (2,887 km) in space. Explosive ammo: 16 miles (26 km) through atmosphere and 1600 miles (2,575 km) in space.)
Mega-Damage: Guided Dart inflicts 6D6x10+30 M.D. High Explosive Fragmentation inflicts 5D6 M.D. in a 40 feet (12 meter) radius, High Explosive ammo inflicts 2D4x10 M.D. in a 20 feet (6 meter) radius, High Explosive Armor Piercing inflicts 3D6x10 in a 6 feet (1.8 meter) radius.
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined hand to hand attacks of the gunner (usually 4 or 5).
Payload: 140 Rounds (can be all Dart, or a mix)
Maximum Effective Range: 625 miles (1,002 km) in space and 6,000 feet (1,830 m) in an atmosphere.
Mega-Damage: 1D6x100 M.D.
Rate of Fire: Twice per melee.
Payload: Effectively Unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: 3000 feet (914 m) in an atmosphere and 56.8 miles (91.4 km) in space.
Mega-Damage: 1D4x10 per burst, can only fire bursts.
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined number of hand to hand attacks of the gunner or by automatic (5 attacks per melee PER laser).
Payload: Effectively Unlimited
Mega-Damage: 4D6 to a 30 foot (9.1 meter) radius.
Maximum Effective Range: 4,000 feet, can fire above fortifications and obstacles.
Rate of Fire:4 times per melee on automatic, or equal to the number of hand to hand attacks of the gunner.
Payload: 200 round magazine. Takes 20 melees to reload (must be done by hand)
Mega-Damage: Varies with medium range missile type (See revised Phase World Missiles for details.)
Maximum Effective Range: Medium Range Missile range is 160 miles (257.5 km) in an atmosphere and 80,000 miles (128,750 km/0.43 light seconds) in space.
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of 3, 6, or 9 missiles per canister.
Payload: 9 medium range missiles (18 missiles total)
Missile Type: Any mini-missile can be used, but standard issue is armor piercing or plasma. Fragmentation will be used for anti-personnel operations.
Mega-damage: Varies with mini missile type (See revised Phase World missile tables for details.)
Maximum Effective Range: Mini-Missile range is 2 miles (3.2 km) in an atmosphere and 100 miles (161 km) in space.
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in a volley of 2, 4, 6, 8, or 10.
Payload: 1 mini-missile per launcher, with 9 reloads per launcher, for a total of 100 mini-missiles.
Sensors & Equipment:
Has all the normal sensors and equipment of power armors and armored vehicles in the Three Galaxies plus the following special features.
- Gravity Wave Sensor: Similar to sensor system in PA E-1000 Enforcer. System uses gravity waves like a form of radar. Range is 2000 ft (610 m) in an atmosphere and has 1000 times that range when operated in space. The system can electronically map the insides of structures. Combined with thermographics, will also detect invisible targets and find people inside building or ships, and even detect traps and hidden rooms. The sensor system cannot penetrate force fields or phase fields, however.
- Tachyon Beam Link: Used for guiding the Dart projectile, this system is located in the cuppola on top of the turret. It can also be used to "Paint" targets for missiles with Tachyonic sensor guidance. Maximum range is 30 miles (48 km). Can only function in one mode at a time, and can paint a maximum of three targets at once.
- Neutrino Detector: All fusion, fission and Anti Matter reactors output neutrinos. The detector uses a specialized magnetic field to capture and focus neutrinos into a sensor designed to detect neutrinos. The system also eliminates neutrinos from the sun although it is impossible to detect a target if the sun is directly in the sensor as well due to the sun overloading the ability of the system to detect neutrinos. The Neutrino sensor has a range of 50 miles (80 km) in an atmosphere and has a range of 5,000 miles (8,050 km) in space. The sensor has a 60% chance of being able to be able to differentiate between fusion, antimatter, and fission reactors.
- Limited AI computer: This AI controls all of the Point Defense Lasers and the automatic Mortar. It can recognise enemy soldiers at 85% proficiency, and friendly troops at 98% proficiency. It will not fire when in doubt, but it can at any time be overridden by one of the crewmembers.
- Camouflage System: The tanks surface is covered by a fiber-optic
material that can change colors to match the general environment. Color
change takes 2D4 melee rounds 30 to 120 seconds), in which the armor becomes
the exact same color as the predominant one in the area. In the woods or
in broken terrain, the fibers will also create stripes and blotches of lighter
and darker color like a camouflage pattern. In all cases, the tank is difficult
to spot: -20% for others to detect ambush and detect concealment, and as
long as the tank is inactive there is a a 30% chance of not being seen
if it does not fire any weapons or charges any systems.
The system also masks infrared and thermal emissions, making the tank`s heat invisible to infrared and thermal optics! There is only a 30% chance of the suit showing up on thermal systems and even then the reading/image will seem unusual. For every 30 M.D.C. done to the main body of the tank, the penalty to spot is reduced by 2%, and the chance to be picked up on thermal systems goes up 7 %.
[ Brodkil TM, Bushido Industries TM, CAF TM, Catyr TM, CCW TM, Consortium of Civilized Worlds TM, Free Worlds Council TM, Gene Splicers TM, K-Hex TM, Kittani TM, Kreeghor TM, Machine People TM, M.D.C. TM, Mega-Damage TM, M’Kri Hardware TM, Monro TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, Noro TM, Paradise Federation TM, Phase World TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Seljuks TM, Splugorth TM, Trans-Galactic Empire TM, Tri-Galactic Military Service TM, United Worlds Warlock TM, U.W.W. TM, Wolfen TM, and Zembahk TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
By Mischa (E-Mail Mischa)
Copyright © 2000, Mischa. All rights reserved.
[Phoenix Armory is copyright of Kitsune & Mischa]