REF Gladiator Mk IV (REF Three Galaxies):
This design was almost never developed. Many designers considered that the upgraded Excaliber already filled the role which the Gladiator was developed to fill. In the end, the design was developed although there is still much debate about the designs usefulness. Like many other REF designs operated in the Three Galaxies, the Gladiator is based on an upgraded version of the Gladiator which was brought with them on the RFS Minerva. The adapting of previously existing designs allowed for the reduction of development and allowed for rapid production. What is interesting is that the original Gladiator was mean for short range combat while the Excaliber was meant for more long range combat. The roles of the designs are now reversed with the latest version of the Gladiator carrying longer ranged weapons than the Excaliber. In spite of the debate in the leadership of the REF about the upgraded Gladiator, the design is well liked by their crews. The REF continues to operate combat Robots although in most ways tanks can be considered superior to them in most roles. Hover tanks, especially those using gravity propulsion, are considered extremely effective. The Gladiator has a higher running speed than the Excaliber and unlike most power armors, the Gladiator can operate for extended periods. Like the Excaliber, the Gladiator carries extensive supplies for the pilot.
The appearance of the upgraded REF Gladiator is not greatly changed compared to the original REF Gladiator. Still, virtually ever weapon system has been upgraded. There are some minor cosmetic changes in the Gladiator but otherwise only someone extremely familiar with both designs will be able to tell the difference between the two designs externally. The main weapons on the original REF was a pair of laser cannons. By military standards in the Three Galaxies, the weapons are incredibly under powered. On the Excaliber, the main weapons were replaced by a pair of Particle Beams developed for the Glitter boy power armor. For the Gladiator Mk IV, a different solution was arrived at for the weapon. The main guns were developed from the guns carried on the Human Alliance Kramer main battle tank. These were refined on the Gladiator and more efficient capacitors are mounted as well. While twin cannons are mounted, they lack the flexibility of a turret and are fixed for the most part forward although they have a 120 degree arc of fire. Payload is still than that for the Excaliber although greater than the original Kramer Main Battle Tank. For secondary weapons, the twin laser cannons mounted in the chest are replaced with a pair of hyper velocity gravity rail guns. These give the Mecha a secondary weaponry which is useful against targets which are impervious to energy weapons. Missile launchers are still mounted although payload is radically increased with the number of mini-missiles doubled. The Gladiator also carries a number of short range missile launchers. Payload has also been increased for these but not by as a great a margin. A pair of fusion blades are added to the giant robot with on mounted on each forearm. This allows the improved Gladiator to engage effectively in hand to hand combat although it is rarely used.
Like most REF designs in the Three Galaxies, there has been an attempt to reduce reliance on protoculture. Power is instead produced by an incredibly efficient fusion reactor and protoculture is only used in the control systems. This greatly reduces operating costs because hydrogen is far more common than Protoculture. After all, hydrogen is the single most common element in the universe. Electronics are completely updated and the mecha carried standard electronics carried in most Robot Vehicles operated within the Three Galaxies. Like the Excaliber, the Gladiator has its armor greatly upgraded compared to the original REF model. Also like the Excaliber, the Gladiator does not mount a force field. Several combat tank designs do mount force fields including the main Consortium gravity hover tank.
Model Type: Gladiator MK-IV
Vehicle Type: Destroid
Crew: One or Two
M.D.C. by location:
| Particle Beam Support Housings (2, Shoulders)||250 each|
|80 mm Heavy Particle Beams (2, top mounted)||180 each|
|Dual Gravitic Rail-Guns Head (Chest):||180|
|Chest Mini-Missile Pod:||300|
|Fusion Blades (2, forearms)||200|
|Hands (2)||160 each|
|Arms (2):||200 each|
|Leg Mounted Short Range Missile Pods (4, 2 each leg)||150 each|
|Upper Legs (2):||225 each|
|Lower Legs (2):||250 each|
| Main Body:||750|
|Reinforced Pilots Compartment||300|
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the particle beam housing will disable the attached particle beam mount.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body will shut the mecha down completely, rendering it useless. Note: Lasers do half damage.
Running: 120 mph (193.1 kph) maximum with a cruising speed of about 75 mph (120.7 kph). Unlike power armors, running does no tire out the operator.
Jumping: 160 feet (48.8 meters) lengthwise or 100 feet (30.5 meters) up.
Climbing: Is possible but is awkward. The pilot has a climb skill of 40%+4% per level of the pilot. The pilot gets a 10% bonus is they have the climbing skill.
Underwater: The Gladiator can walk along the bottom of the sea floor at 25% of maximum speed.
Maximum Ocean Depth: 2 mile (3.2 km)
Maximum Effective Range: Limited only by the pilot's endurance. Emergency food and air supply will keep the pilot alive for a week.
Height: 27 feet (8.2 meters) with laser cannons lowered
Width: 13 feet 9 inches (4.2 meters).
Length: 11 feet 4 inches (3.5 meters) not including particle beams. Length with particle beams is 14 feet 3 inches (4.3 meters)
Weight: 20.2 tons (18.3 metric tons) fully loaded.
Physical Strength: Equal to Robotic P.S. 55
Power System: Advanced Fusion (25 Years). Uses one protoculture cells for special systems (100 Year Duration), mainly control systems only. The protoculture system has a special anti-tampering device.
Cargo: Minimal space is available in the pilots compartment, but there is a 5 ft x 5 ft x 3 ft space behind cockpit
Market Cost: Not Sold, If found it would probably be worth 100 million for a new, undamaged, and fully operation Mecha complete with weapons.
- 80 mm Heavy Particle Beams (2): Main cannons mounted on shoulders in turret with the ability to elevate 120 degrees. These heavy particle beams draw huge amount of power and energy is stored in a bank of powerful capacitors. The capacitors allow for rapid firing but are limited to sixty shots before needing to recharge. Both particle beams are normally fired together although they can be fired individually as well. The cannon can retain a rate of fire of 8 shots per minute only. Mounted with the cannon is a powerful fire control system.
- Chest Mounted Rapid Fire GR-Gun Turret: Twin multi-barreled gravity rail gun a mounted in the center of the chest. These mounts are used as anti-missile defense and for backup for the forearm weapons. Unlike the original weapon systems, these can be operated on fully automated. The gun can either be put on automatic or can be fired by the pilot. On independent has +4 to strike and has 6 attacks per melee and gives +3 for gunner to use if he is targeting and firing.
- Fusion Forearm Blades (2): These weapon is an incredibly powerful weapon and uses a fusion reaction contained in a force field for cutting into objects. The weapons can be used uncharged as a blunt weapon. When powered, the power is pulled though special connections in the armors hand. Each is mounted in the forearms of the Gladiator.
- Leg Missile Launchers (4): Two short range missile launcher is mounted in each leg. These launchers have the payload increase by two each launcher when compared to the original launchers. The missile launchers can either be controlled by the pilot or by the second crew member if present. Special sublight missiles are used in place of conventional missiles. Missiles have a top speed of Mach 10 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 4% of light per turn (faster than any starship except if it is acceding it maximum safe acceleration). Missiles can be launched on multiple targets simultaneously. Smart Missiles are normally used in launchers.
- GR-102 Mini Missile Launcher (1): The launcher is mounted in the chest above the GR-Gun turret. The system automatically reloads when missiles are fired and can fire volleys from two missiles to eight missiles. The storage for missile reloads is on the back of the Destroid. The missile launchers can either be controlled by the pilot or by the second crew member if present. Missile has a top speed of Mach 10 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 2% of light per turn (slightly faster than any starship except if it is acceding it maximum safe acceleration)
- Optional Hand to Hand: Treat as the same as the original hand to hand combat except increase the damages as listed.
Maximum Effective Range: 12.4 miles (20 km) in an atmosphere and 1,240 miles (2000 km) in space.
Mega-Damage: Single Cannon Shot: 4D6x10+20 per blast. Double Cannon Shot: 8D6x10+40.
Rate of Fire: Equal to the Pilot's combined hand to hand (usually 4 or 5).
Payload: 60 shots in capacitors, recharges at the rate of two shot per melee (Firing both particle beam costs two shots)
Bonuses: Has a special fire control computer that helps to aim the cannon. Gives +4 to strike with particle beam and vehicle does not have minuses to fire when moving.
Maximum Effective Range: 3000 feet (914 m) in an atmosphere and 56.8 miles (91.4 km) in space.
Mega-Damage: A burst is 120 rounds (60 from each barrel) and inflicts 4D4x10 M.D. Can only fire bursts. Reduce damage by half if one barrel is destroyed.
Rare of Fire: Equal to the combined number of hand to hand attacks of the pilot or by automatic (6 attacks per melee).
Payload: 6000 rounds in magazine; that's 50 bursts.
Maximum Effective Range: Close Combat Only
Mega-Damage: 3D6x10+20 M.D. per swing
Rate of Fire: Equal to the number of hand to hand attacks of the pilot (usually 5-7, see Mecha Training). Paired weapons may be used with two swords
Payload: Effectively Unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: Short Range Missile range is 10 miles (16.1 km) in an atmosphere and 500 miles (804.7 km) in space.
Mega Damage: Varies with phase world missile type (See revised Phase World missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two, four, six, twelve, sixteen, or all (24). The number of volleys a character can fire is equal to his combined hand to hand attacks per melee. One volley counts as one attack regardless of number of missiles.
Payload: each shoulder pod contains a total of 6 short range missiles each launcher pod for a total of 24 short range missiles.
Maximum Effective Range: Mini-Missile range is 2 miles (3.2 km) in an atmosphere and 100 miles (161 km) in space.
Mega Damage: As per Mini-Missile Type (See revised Phase World missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), six (6), or eight (8) missiles. Remember, one volley counts as one attack regardless of the number of missiles fired.
Payload: Seventy-Two (72) mini missiles total
- Restrained Punch: 2D6 M.D.
Crush in Hand: 3D6 M.D.
Full Strength Punch: 6D6 M.D.
Power Punch: 2D6x10 M.D.
Kick: 4D6 M.D.
Leap Kick: 8D6 M.D.
Stomp: 3D6 M.D.
Body Block /Ram: 6D6 M.D.
Body Flip /Throw: 4D4 M.D.
[ Brodkil TM, Bushido Industries TM, CAF TM, Catyr TM, CCW TM, Consortium of Civilized Worlds TM, Free Worlds Council TM, Gene Splicers TM, K-Hex TM, Kittani TM, Kreeghor TM, Machine People TM, M.D.C. TM, Mega-Damage TM, M’Kri Hardware TM, Monro TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, Noro TM, Paradise Federation TM, Phase World TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Seljuks TM, Splugorth TM, Trans-Galactic Empire TM, Tri-Galactic Military Service TM, United Worlds Warlock TM, U.W.W. TM, Wolfen TM, and Zembahk TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Macross®, Robotech®, Robotech: Sentinels®, SDF-1®, Southern Cross®, and Zentraedi® are registered trademarks owned and licensed by Harmony Gold USA, Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2006, Kitsune. All rights reserved.