REF MAC III-X (REF Three Galaxies):
The MAC II was one of the largest and most powerful Mecha ever built. The firepower was comparable to a World War II Battleship. The REF introduced the MAC III. It reduced the number of cannons by one but was far more mobile. For sustained over the horizon firepower, few things matched the MAC II and MAC III. While few cutting edge forces in the Three Galaxies use dedicated non-missile artillery, it was natural for the REF to adapt the MAC III using the improved technology now available. This was how the MAC III-X was born. It was an attempt to improve the firepower and the engineers succeeded far more than anyone expected. Rarely used in front line combat roles, the MAC III-X makes an incredible fire support platform. It is powerful enough to even be a threat to light capital ships. When the MAC III-X is used together with improved Spartan and Raidar-X platforms, there is little which can match it. Because the MAC III-X has space for four in addition to the normal crew of three, the giant Mecha is often used as a command vehicle. Of course, the MAC III is a very visible target and is one of the first targets attacked by the enemy.
The basic appearance of the MAC III-X is little changed from the original MAC III but there are definitely noticeable changes. The first and most noticeable is that above the chin of the MAC III-X is mounted a pulse laser mount. This mount gives the giant Mecha some limited point defense abilities. Another noticeable change is that the bomb shields have been modified and are thicker. Closer inspection shows that the are not just covers but have individual hatches. From the size of the hatches, it is obvious that they are mini-missile launchers. This appears to gives the platform an addition close range punch, something the original version of the MAC III was sadly lacking. There are some other cosmetic and stylistic changes but otherwise there is little that has been changed with regards to the MAC III design.
Like virtually all REF designs which are operated within the Three Galaxies, the MAC III-X was developed so that it relies far less on protoculture than previous models. Even with its powerful fusion power plant, the MAC III-X still has a maximum speed of 45 miles per hour. Unlike most models, the MAC III-X runs two power plants. Usually, the MAC III is dropped where it is needed to be used. The armor on the MAC III-X is massively improved compared to the original REF model and even exceeds the original MAC III by a good margin. The only weakness which some have commented on in the original models was the design's lack of defensive shields. This was remedied in later models with the addition of a force field generator adapted from the Battleram Attack Robot. While not as powerful as the variable fields carried on many fighters, it does give the design a measure of additional protection. As fitting a design which may be used a command vehicle, the MAC III-X has been refitted with a powerful communication and sensor suite. The sensor system is based on that of a heavy starfighter and is virtually identical to the system carried on the improve Spartan. One difference is that the sensor suite on the MAC III-X is far better protected and is not easily targeted.
As mentioned in the physical description, the design has been modified with the addition of a pulse laser system and mini-missile launchers. The pulse laser system is identical to the system carried on the improved REF Spartan and Raidar-X designs. It can be controlled from inside the Mecha or can be set on automatic for missile defense roles. The mini-missile launchers can fire a massive volley of missiles at one time unlike launchers on most of the smaller REF Mecha. Each launcher has a payload of ninety-six missiles and half the payload can be fired at a single time. The massive influx of missiles will overwhelm most defensive fire and can defend the MAC III-X against massive missile fire itself. The particle beams mounted on the arms were replaced by far more powerful models. A number of heavy fighters mount short range versions of destroyer class weapon. The power drain was so heavy that capacitors were added to provide power the massive weapons. The weapons are limited to 40 shots each before needing to recharge. The MAC III-X mounts two of these and is one of the weapons which makes the platform so feared. The 40 cm are retained but projectiles are fired via a powerful gravity drive system which boosts projectile range to around 200 kilometers. The projectiles have a special gravity sustaining system to extend their range that far. The warhead power is dramatically increased and a simple projectile now packs more explosive force than all four cannons fired together on the original MAC II. Due to the absence of propellant, the MAC III-X can carry about 25% more projectiles with a total of 25 projectiles per cannon. The medium range missile launcher is retained although has been redesigned so eight medium missiles can be carried instead of the original six. The heavy fusion bombs carried on the original MAC III are retained and it is the only system that was not upgraded.
Model Type: MAC III-X
Vehicle Type: Destroid
Crew: Two or Three (Can carry four additional passengers)
M.D.C. by location:
|40 cm Heavy Gravity Cannons (3, Top Mounted):||350 each|
|10 cm Heavy Particle Beam Arms (2):||450 each|
|H-500 Light Pulse Laser Mount (Center Mount):||100|
|Medium Range Missile Launcher (1, Center):||500|
|Mini-Missile Packs (2, Above Fusion Bombs):||200 each|
| Fusion Drum Bombs (2, Sides under Mini-Missile Packs):||300 each|
|Legs (2):||550 each|
| Main Body:||1450|
|Reinforced Pilots Compartment||500|
| Heavy Force Field||500|
 Fusion Drum Bombs are well protected at hard to hit with a -2 to strike and requiring a called shot. Destroying the fusion bombs will not detonate them.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body will shut the mecha down completely, rendering it useless. Note: Lasers inflict half damage.
 The M.D.C. of the force field must be completely depleted before the Mecha itself can be targeted. Shields regenerate at the rate of 5% (25 M.D.C.) per melee round.
Running: 45 mph (72 kph) maximum with a cruising speed of about 30 mph (48 kph). Unlike power armors, running does no tire out the operator.
Jumping: Cannot leap
Climbing: Cannot climb
Underwater: The MAC III-X can walk along the bottom of the sea floor at 25% of maximum speed.
Maximum Ocean Depth: 4 miles (6.4 km)
Maximum Effective Range: Limited only by the pilot's endurance. Emergency food and air supply will keep the pilot and crew alive for four weeks.
Height: 48.6 feet (14.8 meters).
Width: 38.2 feet (11.6 meters).
Length: 43.2 feet (13.2 meters)
Weight: 132 tons (119.7 metric tons) fully loaded.
Physical Strength: Equal to Robotic P.S. 60
Power System: Advanced Fusion (25 Years). Uses one protoculture cells for special systems (100 Year Duration), mainly control systems only. The protoculture system has a special anti-tampering device.
Cargo: Spacious storage compartment, dimension are 8 ft x 6 ft x 6 ft (2.4 m x 1.8 m x 1.8 m) behind crew compartment. Additional cargo can be carried instead of passengers.
Minimal space is available in the pilots compartment, but there is a 5 ft x 5 ft x 3 ft space behind cockpit
Market Cost: Not Sold, If found it would probably be worth 250 million for a new, undamaged, and fully operation Mecha complete with weapons.
- 10 cm Heavy Particle Beam Cannons (2; Arms): These cannons are incredibly powerful, comparable to the main guns on some destroyer guns. These cannons are mostly used for line of site bombardment due to their range and as defensive batteries against capital ships. The weapons can be used against fighters but have -4 to strike due to the maneuverability of most fighters. Both cannons can be fired together but the weapons draw incredible amount of power when they are fired. Because of the great power draw, they do not draw power directly from the fusion reactors but instead use a bank of high efficiency capacitors. Shots are limited to forty per cannon and then require a minute to recharge one shot. The who capacitor bank requires eighty minutes to fully recharge.
- 40 cm Automatic Gravity Rail Cannons (3): While the cannons look similar to the original models mounted on the MAC III, the cannons have been vastly improved. Projectile range is increased from 16 kilometers to around 200 kilometers. This is helped by a gravity sustaining system. As well, payload has been increased from twenty projectiles per mount to twenty-five projectiles. The projectiles are not fast enough to intercept fast moving craft in space by are effective against capital ships if they are in the upper atmosphere. The middle gun can be operated independently by the two side guns are designed to operate together. As well, all four guns can be fired together for massive damage.
- HR-500 Pulse Laser Mount: Basically just the laser system from HI-300 Infantry Support Laser mounted in a low profile turret above medium range missile launchers. Power for the weapon system is pulled from the mecha's fusion reactor and has effectively unlimited shots. The weapon is mostly designed as a last ditch defense system against incoming missiles but can be used against attacking infantry in emergency. The weapon can be controlled autonomously by the Spartan's powerful computer or can be controlled by one of the crew members. Most crews keep the weapons on automatic and When set on independent fire setting, the mount has +3 to strike and has 5 attacks per melee.
- Medium Range Missile Launcher: On the front of the MAC III-X is a medium range missile launcher although capacity has been improved compared to the original design. Weapon system is used for hitting enemy robots, fighters, and missiles. Weapon system is also used for anti-cruise missile. Missile has a top speed of Mach 15 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 6% of light per turn. Launchers can launch on multiple targets at the same time.
- Side mounted Mini Missile Launchers (2): The launcher is mounted on either side of the main body of the MAC III-X over the fusion drum bombs. Missile has a top speed of Mach 10 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 2% of light per turn (slightly faster than any starship except if it is acceding it maximum safe acceleration) If detonated, the missiles are designed so that only ten percent of their explosive force will be directed at the MAC III-X itself, most of the force venting outwards.
- Fusion Drum Bombs (2): Mounted on the sides of the MAC III-X are a pair of fusion drum bombs. It is encased with 300 M.D.C. worth of armor to protect it from being destroyed by the enemy (-2 to strike) and are inert until activated. The Bombs can be programmed from the pilots compartment to explode from 10 seconds to 90 minutes from activation. Bombs weighs two tons each. Used for demolitions purposes, as a trap, and a last ditch method for self destruct.
- Optional Hand to Hand: Treat as the same as the original hand to hand combat except increase the damages as listed.
Maximum Effective Range: 10 miles (16.1 km) through atmosphere and 1000 miles (1,610 km) in space.
Mega Damage: 1D4x100 M.D.C. each (Can fire both for 2D4x100)
Rate of Fire: twice per melee.
Payload: Limited to 80 shots due to heavy power draw (Firing both cannons uses two charges) but recharges at the rate of 1 shot per minute.
Maximum Effective Range: 124.3 miles (200) through atmosphere and 1243 miles (20,000 km) in space.
Mega Damage: 1D6x100 for Armor Piercing to a 8 foot (2.4 meter) blast radius, 2D4x100 for Plasma to a 40 foot (12.2 meter) blast radius, and fragmentation inflicts 6D6x10 to a 60 foot (18.3 meter) blast radius. Can also use special ammunition which treat as double payload as 203 mm artillery (Go to Battlefield Artillery for Rifts for more information).
Rate of Fire: Equal to combined hand to hand attacks of pilot or gunner (can fire one, two, or three cannons per attack).
Payload: Each cannon has 25 round for a total of 75 rounds. Each cannon takes 10 minutes (40 melee) to reload
Maximum Effective Range: 4,000 feet (1,220 meters) in an atmosphere and 75 miles (120 km) in space.
Mega-Damage: 6D6+6 per single shot, 2D6x10+20 for a rapid fire three shot burst, or use machine gun burst rules for higher burst setting.
Rate of Fire: Equal the gunners' number of hand to hand attacks or by computer (+3 to strike and has 5 attacks)
Payload: Effectively unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: Medium Range Missile range is 160 miles (257.5 km) in an atmosphere and 80,000 miles (128,750 km/0.43 light seconds)
Mega-Damage: Varies with medium range missile type (See revised Phase World missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of 2, 4, 6, or 8 missiles.
Payload: 8 medium range missiles.
Maximum Effective Range: Mini-Missile range is 2 miles (3.2 km) in an atmosphere and 100 miles (161 km) in space.
Mega Damage: As per Mini-Missile Type (See revised Phase World missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Volleys of two (2), four (4), six (6), eight (8), twelve (12), twenty-four (24), forty-eight (48), or ninety-six (96). Remember, one volley counts as one attack regardless of the number of missiles fired.
Payload: Ninety-Six (96) missiles in each launcher for One Hundred and Ninety-Two (192) mini missiles total.
Maximum Effective Range: Where dropped
Mega Damage: Will inflict 1D6x1000 M.D.C. to everything within a 500 foot (153 meter) radius and 1D6x100 M.D.C. to an additional 1000 foot (305 meter) radius.
Rate of Fire: One or both can dropped as a single attack.
Payload: Two bombs
- Swat with cannon arms: 6D6 M.D.
Stomp: 6D6 M.D.
Body Block /Ram: 4D6 M.D.
Sensors & Equipment:
Has all the normal sensors and equipment of power armors and armored vehicles in the Three Galaxies plus the following special features.
- Long Range Sensor Suite: Carries sensor systems more typical on a heavy star fighter. Use ranges for systems of large star ships except neutrino sensors and does not mount the systems to track the disturbance caused by most star ships traveling at faster than light velocities. The mecha also has an advanced targeting computer.
[ Brodkil TM, Bushido Industries TM, CAF TM, Catyr TM, CCW TM, Consortium of Civilized Worlds TM, Free Worlds Council TM, Gene Splicers TM, K-Hex TM, Kittani TM, Kreeghor TM, Machine People TM, M.D.C. TM, Mega-Damage TM, M’Kri Hardware TM, Monro TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, Noro TM, Paradise Federation TM, Phase World TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Seljuks TM, Splugorth TM, Trans-Galactic Empire TM, Tri-Galactic Military Service TM, United Worlds Warlock TM, U.W.W. TM, Wolfen TM, and Zembahk TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Macross®, Robotech®, Robotech: Sentinels®, SDF-1®, Southern Cross®, and Zentraedi® are registered trademarks owned and licensed by Harmony Gold USA, Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2006, Kitsune. All rights reserved.