REF QF-4000 Star Phantom (REF Three Galaxies):
Many missions are considered very dangerous for pilots and in some cases, there just simply are far to few pilots to man all the fighters that a military wishes to operate. This situation is similar for the forces of the REF operating within the Three Galaxies. For this reason, the Star Phantom was developed. Missions these unmanned fighters operate on are combat, jamming, sneak attack, and reconnaissance missions. Large amount of these fighters are operated from ARMD platforms. In concept, it is very similar to the original Ghost unmanned fighter but has been fully updated. Unlike most REF upgrades, this fighter looks a lot different than the original Ghost does although it is vaguely shaped the same way. One thing that needs to be explained is that while these fighters are produced in large numbers, they are not considered disposable and are recovered whenever possible.
The fighters frame has been reinforced and the fighter carries shields. This allows the fighter to withstand far more damage and carry on during missions in which it takes severe abuse. The propulsion system is fully modernized and is an adaption of those carried on the Alpha and Beta fighters. This contra-grav system is quite capable in both space and the atmosphere. There is some discussion of designing a tiny starship design that is unmanned that allows these robot fighters to be used in unmanned attacked on systems outside of normal control. All sensors are on the same standards of sensor systems used on other fighters used in the Three Galaxies. The AI on the fighter is both powerful and flexible. There is an interesting situation developing with the fighters A.I. computer systems. Some of them have developed limited personalities, although high command is not very happy with it, but that service crews have started to paint killsigns on successful fighters, and giving them names. There is two alternate versions of the fighter. One carried the Shadow Cloaking device that is carried on the Shadow Alpha and one that carries a powerful jamming device.
Weapon systems have been greatly upgraded as well. The fighter carries two laser cannons that are similar to those used on the Alpha fighter. This gives the fighter the ability to inflict very heavy damage. The main drawback of the weapon system is that they do not inflict any damage against targets that are impervious to energy. This is mitigated by the fact that Phantom mounts a powerful centerline gravitic rail gun. This rail gun in the standard version operated by a great many other REF vehicles. Under the fighter are two bays that can carry missiles. One is mounted on either side of position of the heavy rail gun. The fighter can carry two cruise missiles, four long range missiles, or even eight medium range missiles. The missiles that are carried is based on the mission that was assigned to the fighter.
This starfighter design uses modified starship speed and ranges. See Revised Starship Rules for Phase World for more details.
(Note: The power system is fusion not anti-matter because the author's opinion is that anti-matter is to dangerous to be used in vehicles that may be used in an atmosphere. If a starship powered by anti-matter was to detonate in an atmosphere it would cause huge planetary damage. At GM option, this can also be applied to all starfighters or this fighter can be changed to anti-matter.)
|Model Type:||QF-4000C||Unmanned Combat Fighter|
|QF-4000ECM||Unmanned Jamming / ECM Fighter (Hurricane Jammer)|
|QF-4000SF||Unmanned Stealth Fighter (Shadow Cloaking Device)|
M.D.C. by Location:
|Hi Laser Mounts (2):||75 each|
|GU-1000GR Gravity Rail:||100|
|Ordnance Bays (2):||200 each|
| Main Body:||600|
| Variable Force Fields:||200 per side (1,200 total)|
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body will put the Fighter out of commission. All internal systems will shut down, including life support and internal gravity. The ship itself will be an unsalvageable floating wreck. If operating within an atmosphere, the fighter will crash.
 Shields positions can be varied and all could be combined in one shield. Shields regenerate at the rate of 5% (60 M.D.C.)
Driving on the Ground: Not Possible.
Sublight: Has a special sublight engine that allows the ship to travel up to 40 percent of the speed of light. Fighter can accelerate/decelerate at the rate of 1.5 percent of light per melee.
Atmospheric Propulsion: Maximum cruise speed is Mach 6.5 in an atmosphere. Vehicle is transatmospheric due to Contra-Grav propulsion system.
Maximum Effective Range: Effectively Unlimited
Height: 14 feet (4.3 meters)
Width: 28 feet (8.5 meters)
Length: 50 feet (15.2 meters)
Weight: 8.3 tons (7.5 metric tons)
Power System: Advanced Fusion (25 Years). Uses one protoculture cells for special systems (100 Year Duration). The protoculture system has a special anti-tampering device.
Market Cost: Not Sold, If found it would probably be worth 120 million for a new, undamaged, and fully operation fighter complete with weapons, has full AI system, and having cloaking device or other special equipment
- Hi Intensity Laser Cannons (2): The weapons are mounted on eiether side of where a pilots cockpit would be on a standard fighter. They are far more powerful and have far better range than the Auto-Cannons mounted of the original Ghost fighter. The weapon is not quite as powerful as the centerline rail gun is. This laser cannons gives the fighter what is most needed originally, a weapon that does not rely on ammunition. The design of the weapon system is copied from similar Phase World weapon systems. The weapn systems can be linked and me be fired with the rail gun as well. All bursts count as one attack.
- GR-1000 Rail Gun: The Rail gun is mounted in the centerline position on the starfighter and is the fighters secondary weapon system. The rail gun is the same rail gun as is carried in the C.A.F. Scorpion Starfighter. Weapon is mainly used as an anti-starfighter and strafing weapon. Projectiles are fired from rail guns at a significant fraction of the speed of light. Cannon uses a 30 mm projectile.
- Ordnance Bays (2): On the underbelly of the fighter engines are two ordnance bays that allows the fighter to carry missiles. Individual bays must carry all the same type ordnance but each bay may carry different types of ordnance. Cruise missile are normally carried when on an anti-capital ship role and long and medium range missiles when fighting other starfighters. Cruise Missiles have a top speed of Mach 25 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 10% of light per turn (far faster than any starship.) Long Range Missiles have a top speed of Mach 20 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 8% of light per turn (faster than any starship.) Medium Range Missiles have a top speed of Mach 15 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 6% of light per turn. Whether weapons can be shot down is calculated from the speed of target, launcher, and missile. When drive goes dead, missile will continue to travel in a straight line unless set to self destruct but has very low odds of hitting starships (Great for hitting bases and planets because target does not move and missile when dead at -25% to detect.) Cruise missiles have minuses to hit small targets but are all considered smart missiles. Missiles can be launched on multiple targets simultaneously.
Maximum Effective Range: 5 miles (8 km) in atmosphere, 500 miles (805 km) in space.
Mega Damage: One Cannon: 1D4x10 M.D.C. for single shot and 3D4x10 for Three round burst. Both Cannons: 2D4x10 M.D.C. for single shot and 6D4x10 for Three round burst.
Rate of Fire:Up to 9 attacks per melee (each uses a melee attack)
Payload: Effectively Unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: 16 miles (26 km) through atmosphere and 1,600 miles (2,575 km) in space.
Mega-Damage: Rail gun inflicts 4D6x10 M.D.C. for a 40 round burst (Combined lasers and rail gun inflicts 8D6x10)
Rate of Fire: Up to 9 attacks per melee (each uses a melee attack)
Payload: 2,000 Rounds (100 Bursts).
Maximum Effective Range: Cruise Missile range is 8,000 miles (12,875 km) in an atmosphere and 4,000,000 miles (6,437,376 km/ 21.5 light seconds), Long Range Missile range is 3,400 miles (5,470 km) in an atmosphere and 1,800,000 miles (2,897,000 km/9.7 light seconds) in space, and Medium Range Missile range is 160 miles (257.5 km) in an atmosphere and 80,000 miles (128,750 km/0.43 light seconds) in space.
Mega-Damage & Properties: See revised Phase World missile tables for details (Cruise Anti-Matter multi-warheads inflict 5D6x100 M.D.C. each and Long Range Fusion warheads inflict 2D4x100 M.D.C. each.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two, three, or four missiles.
Payload: 1 Cruise Missile, 2 Long Range Missiles, or 4 Medium Range Missiles per ordnance bay.
The Phantom has all the standard features of a standard Robotech Recon Alpha Fighters, Rifts CAF Robot, and Rifts CAF Star Fighter plus these special features listed.
- Artificial Intelligence: IQ 19, Has general military skill program
and three other skill programs.
- General Military Skill Program: Radio; Basic, Mathematics; Basic
(98%), Pilot Starfighter, Starfighter Combat (8th Level) Language/ Literacy
Trade Four, Five, Techno-Can, and Trade Six (94%), Programmed for common
slang & behavior, and huge Database of vehicles and monsters. Bonuses:
+1 attack, +1 to Strike, +1 to Dodge, and +1 to Initiative.
Physical: Hand to Hand (Martial Arts - 8th level)
Pilot Related: Navigation, Navigation; Space, Read Sensory Instruments, Weapon Systems (94%)
Communication: Radio; Scrambler, Laser Communication, Optic Systems, Surveillance Systems, T.V./Video (94%)
- Hurricane Jammer on QF-4000ECM: It Creates a jamming field in a 30 mile radius in an atmosphere and 30,000 miles in space effecting all directions around the fighter. It jams all radars, radios, and all equipment that uses RF waves. Included in the jamming are all friendly forces and all equipment in fighter that is using it. It's original design was stolen off of a Surikii fighter known as the Screamer.
- Shadow Cloaking Device on QF-4000SF: Cloaking device that makes the fighter invisible to most sensors. Usually strikes first on first round and thereafter gets +3 to initiative. See Robotech Sentinels for more details.
- Aircraft is considered to have a Physical Prowess of 26
Number of Attacks: 9
Bonuses; Strike: +11
Critical: 18, 19. or 20.
[ Brodkil TM, Bushido Industries TM, CAF TM, Catyr TM, CCW TM, Consortium of Civilized Worlds TM, Free Worlds Council TM, Gene Splicers TM, K-Hex TM, Kittani TM, Kreeghor TM, Machine People TM, M.D.C. TM, Mega-Damage TM, M’Kri Hardware TM, Monro TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, Noro TM, Paradise Federation TM, Phase World TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Seljuks TM, Splugorth TM, Trans-Galactic Empire TM, Tri-Galactic Military Service TM, United Worlds Warlock TM, U.W.W. TM, Wolfen TM, and Zembahk TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Macross®, Robotech®, Robotech: Sentinels®, SDF-1®, Southern Cross®, and Zentraedi® are registered trademarks owned and licensed by Harmony Gold USA, Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 1999, Kitsune. All rights reserved.