REF Raidar X MK XII (REF Three Galaxies):
Instead of developing all new designs, the REF in the Three Galaxies decided that simply upgrading already existing designs would save resources and reduce development time. Planned to usually work alongside the Spartan Mk XIV, the REF developed an upgraded version of the Raidar X as a point defense platform. The plan is fairly simple, while the Spartan acts as long range defense against incoming attacks, the Raidar X acts as defense to attempt to intercept attacks before they get within close range. Unlike the Spartan, the REF could not simply modify the weapon system and use original hardware. Instead, a new upgraded version of the Raider X had to be developed. The biggest delay was developing a new and more powerful new energy weapons developed for the upgraded platform. The design was given a high priority and is less expensive and time consuming to manufacture than the Veritech fighters and as such, large numbers could be quickly manufactured. While some mecha pilots prefer the more multi-purpose and flexible Excaliber and Gladiator mechas, the Raidar X is an important of the REF ground forces. Some crews dislike the fact that the Raidar X has practically no ability to fight in close range combat. The main weapon of the Raidar X inflicts incredible damage and has incredibly long range.
While the external appearance of the REF Raidar X appears to be virtually unchanged, the design has been greatly upgraded compared to the original design. The single most important upgrade to the design is the replacement of the Tri-Barrel Rapid Fire Laser cannons. While the weapons have an excellent range, they simply did not deliver enough damage to be considered truly effective. The REF had examined the particle beams mounted on the CAF Assault Shuttle and was impressed with the ability of the weapon to fire either a powerful concentrated beam or a more diffuse beam which is very effective against missile volleys. The REF worked on developing a longer range version of this weapon which retained the ability to fire a wide beam. All of this had to be retained with a mount which could be fit in place of the standard barrels of the Raidar X. Except for the upgrading of the weapon weaponry of the Raidar X, the upgrades were fairly straight forward.
The REF has been working to convert their designs to have less reliance on Protoculture and the power for the upgraded Raidar X is an incredibly powerful fusion reactor. The protoculture system in the original REF Raidar X would not have been able to provide more than a fraction of the power needed for the particle beams. Still, the Raidar X has a protoculture system to increase reaction speeds. The propulsion system is virtually unchanged from the original Raidar X and the top speed is the same as in the original REF model. While this was done as a cost saving measure, the top speed of 160 kilometers per hour is considered adequate for the design. A second major upgrade in the design is the replacement of the sensor systems. While not especially long ranged, the sensor systems are designed for highly accurate tracking of targets. While the original REF Raidar X required a crew member to operate it, the upgraded version can operate completely autonomously although it is still more effective when manned. There have been some thoughts about developing a completely independent model run by a powerful artificial intelligence but so far the design has not left the drawing boards. Like most REF designs, the armor has been replaced by armor materials which are far stronger and the survivability of the Raidar X is greatly increased. The materials are specially designed to reduce the effectiveness of laser type weaponry.
Model Type: Raidar X MK-XII
Vehicle Type: Destroid
Crew: One or Two
M.D.C. by location:
| High Powered Search Sensor (Chest):||150|
|Mini-Missile Launchers (2, Shoulders):||225 each|
|"Tri Barrel" Particle Beam Cannons (6, 3 each arm):||150 each|
|Upper Arm Connections (2):||250 each|
|Legs (2):||325 each|
| Main Body:||650|
|Reinforced Pilots Compartment||300|
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the sensor system will remove all bonuses to strike with particle beams although the vehicle has backup sensors.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body will shut the mecha down completely, rendering it useless. Note: Lasers inflict half damage.
Running: 100 mph (160 kph) maximum with a cruising speed of about 50 mph (80 kph). Unlike power armors, running does no tire out the operator.
Jumping: 80 feet (24.4 meters) lengthwise or 40 feet (12.2 meters) up.
Climbing: Cannot climb
Underwater: The Spartan can walk along the bottom of the sea floor at 25% of maximum speed.
Maximum Ocean Depth: 2 mile (3.2 km)
Maximum Effective Range: Limited only by the pilot's endurance. Emergency food and air supply will keep the pilot alive for a week.
Height: 24 feet 9 inches (7.6 meters).
Width: 18 feet (5.5 meters).
Length: 11 feet 7 inches (3.6 meters)
Weight: 16.5 tons (15.0 metric tons) fully loaded.
Physical Strength: Equal to Robotic P.S. 50
Power System: Advanced Fusion (25 Years). Uses one protoculture cells for special systems (100 Year Duration), mainly control systems only. The protoculture system has a special anti-tampering device.
Cargo: Minimal space is available in the pilots compartment, but there is a 5 ft x 5 ft x 3 ft space behind cockpit
Market Cost: Not Sold, If found it would probably be worth 75 million for a new, undamaged, and fully operation Mecha complete with weapons.
- "Tri-Barrel" Particle Beam Cannons (6, 3 each arm): These particle beams were developed from those carried on the CAF Assault Shuttle but while longer ranged are individually less powerful. The weapons can fire a very powerful narrow beam and the cannon has the ability to fire a wide shot beam with a reduced range but can hit multiple targets and excellent against missiles. While the weapons can be fired individually, normally all six barrels are fired simultaneously. Weapon system can be run on computer control in emergency (+2 to strike, 5 Attacks per melee) with wide beam getting an additional +2 to strike against fast moving targets.
- Point Defense Laser: Similar to the original weapon system but modified to have a greater range and arc of fire although still mounted under the main sensor system. Due to this, weapon system cannot fire straight upwards. Weapon system is replaced by the laser system from HI-300 Infantry Support Laser. Weapon was originally designed as defense against troops but is also useful against missiles. The weapon can be controlled autonomously by the Raidar X's powerful computer or can be controlled by one of the crew members. Most crews keep the weapons on automatic and When set on independent fire setting, the mount has +3 to strike and has 5 attacks per melee.
- GR-100 Mini Missile Launchers (2): The launchers are mounted above and behind each of the shoulders of the Destroid. The system automatically reloads when missiles are fired and can fire volleys from two missiles to eight missiles. The storage for missile reloads is on the back of the Destroid. The missile launchers can either be controlled by the pilot or by the second crew member if present. Missile has a top speed of Mach 10 in an atmosphere and in space has an acceleration of 2% of light per turn (slightly faster than any starship except if it is acceding it maximum safe acceleration)
- Optional Hand to Hand: Treat as the same as the original hand to hand combat except increase the damages as listed.
Maximum Effective Range: Single Target: 8 miles (12.9 km) in an atmosphere and 800 miles (1,290 km) in space. Wide Beam: 4 miles (6.4 km) in an atmosphere and 400 miles (640 km) in space.
Mega Damage: Single Target: Single Blast: 1D6x10+10, Double Blast: 2D6x10+20, Triple Blast: 3D6x10+30, Six Blasts (Both Arms fired together): 6D6x10+60. Wide Beam: Single Blast: 3D6, Double Blast: 6D6, Triple Blast: 1D4x10, Six Blasts (Both Arms fired together): 2D4x10. When fired at wide beam, all targets within a 500 foot (152 meter) diameter area are effected. When fired as a wide beam, the cannon cannot be used on targets closer than 500 feet (152 meters) away.
Rate of Fire: Equal to number of combined hand to hand attacks (usually 4-6 / +2 to strike, 5 Attacks per melee on computer control.) No matter how many barrels are fired together, attack is considered a single melee attack.
Payload: Effectively Unlimited.
Bonuses: Has a special fire control computer that helps to aim the cannon. Gives +4 to strike with particle beam and vehicle does not have minuses to fire when the Mecha is moving. (Wide beam has an additional +2 to strike fast moving targets)
Maximum Effective Range: 4,000 feet (1,220 meters) in an atmosphere and 75 miles (120 km) in space.
Mega-Damage: 6D6+6 per single shot, 2D6x10+20 for a rapid fire three shot burst, or use machine gun burst rules for higher burst setting.
Rate of Fire: Equal the gunners' number of hand to hand attacks or by computer (+3 to strike and has 5 attacks)
Payload: Effectively unlimited.
Maximum Effective Range: Mini-Missile range is 2 miles (3.2 km) in an atmosphere and 100 miles (161 km) in space.
Mega Damage: As per Mini-Missile Type (See revised Phase World missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), six (6), or eight (8) missiles. Remember, one volley counts as one attack regardless of the number of missiles fired.
Payload: Thirty (30) mini missiles per launcher for a total of sixty (60) mini missiles
- Swat with cannon arms: 2D6 M.D.
Stomp: 2D6 M.D.
Body Block /Ram: 4D6 M.D.
Sensors & Equipment:
Has all the normal sensors and equipment of power armors and armored vehicles in the Three Galaxies plus the following special features.
- High Powered Sensor Suite:. Powerful sensor system which gives a bonus of +4 to strike with the particle beams and is designed for tracking multiple targets.
[ Brodkil TM, Bushido Industries TM, CAF TM, Catyr TM, CCW TM, Consortium of Civilized Worlds TM, Free Worlds Council TM, Gene Splicers TM, K-Hex TM, Kittani TM, Kreeghor TM, Machine People TM, M.D.C. TM, Mega-Damage TM, M’Kri Hardware TM, Monro TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, Noro TM, Paradise Federation TM, Phase World TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Seljuks TM, Splugorth TM, Trans-Galactic Empire TM, Tri-Galactic Military Service TM, United Worlds Warlock TM, U.W.W. TM, Wolfen TM, and Zembahk TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Macross®, Robotech®, Robotech: Sentinels®, SDF-1®, Southern Cross®, and Zentraedi® are registered trademarks owned and licensed by Harmony Gold USA, Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2005, Kitsune. All rights reserved.